• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

That has nothing to do with colors though... I can get that image to look exactly the same in Full and Limited by setting the OLED to High and Low blacks respectively.

Either I'm missing something (likely) or everyone is as confused as I am about the limited/full stuff.

Try changing your console setting too.

Okada

That has nothing to do with colors though... I can get that image to look exactly the same in Full and Limited by setting the OLED to High and Low blacks respectively.

Either I'm missing something (likely) or everyone is as confused as I am about the limited/full stuff.

That's correct.

If set up correctly you lose no detail in full. I find it weird when people try and state things as if they're fact when it's completely incorrect information.

lionpants

Try changing your console setting too.
That's what I am saying.

Scenario 1
PS4: Full
OLED: High Blacks

Scenario 2
PS4: Limited
OLED: Low Blacks

For both scenarios...
OLED Brightness: 53

In both scenarios, I can distinguish all the black boxes, with the top left box being completely black (can't see it) and the second top left box being barely visible.

So back to my original question for the Xbox One S... what should I have the video set to?
And a new question... why do people keep claiming limited is better?

Either settings should be fine then since you have no issue viewing black boxes.
Limited is recommended to use if you have issue with black crush.

Broman1978

Any recommendations/numbers for calibrate LG UH series? I have UH664v and looking to calibrate it for as good as possible HDR settings etc for my Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. Also anyone now what the UH664 is called in US/UK? I cannot find it anywhere =(
(Sweden here)

As your setup shows, both full and limited can work in HDR.

I have my OG PS4 set to full as I still want the extended RGB benefit for non-HDR games without me having to switch settings every time I play an HDR game.

NYR

Still having problems with my LG E6 and PS4Pro. Booted up, started up The Witness and got a black screen with some green flashing bars on the edges. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and it started working again.

Really frustrating.

FoxSpirit

If your TV supports only limited, outputting at full will cause all black values from 1-16 to be displayed as completely black. In return, outputting limited to a full device means that the lowest black value your device sens will not be displayed as total black by the display.
But if you can set your black independant you could possibly set them so dark that a limited 16 will be output as total black on a full input device.

Has that got an HDR mode?

Yeah, I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider which doesn't have HDR whilst waiting for the patch to drop. But I'm now done with that. I played a bit of the Last Guardian this evening and it just feels too sluggish. I want to keep playing though so maybe I'll just turn off HDR in the meantime...

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah, I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider which doesn't have HDR whilst waiting for the patch to drop. But I'm now done with that. I played a bit of the Last Guardian this evening and it just feels too sluggish. I want to keep playing though so maybe I'll just turn off HDR in the meantime...

Isn't it pretty sluggish even without HDR.

ss_lemonade

This doesn't seem to be the case with every TV. I have a Sony w900a that shows a slight difference with say, my ps3 when both TV and console are set to both limited or full. One is slightly lighter and the other is slightly darker (but both are not exactly washed out and do not have crushed blacks). So including severe black crush and a severely washed out image, I can actually see 4 different outcomes when fiddling with these settings, which makes things even more confusing.

flozuki

That's what I am saying.

Scenario 1
PS4: Full
OLED: High Blacks

Scenario 2
PS4: Limited
OLED: Low Blacks

For both scenarios...
OLED Brightness: 53

In both scenarios, I can distinguish all the black boxes, with the top left box being completely black (can't see it) and the second top left box being barely visible.

So back to my original question for the Xbox One S... what should I have the video set to?

Are these aettings actually correct with the current OLED lineup? Somewhere on GAF it was stated these settings are buggy and you actually have to use low black when the PS4 Pro is set to Full and vice versa (I am using the same settings as you though and can't find the discussion about these specific settings).

holygeesus

Banned
Are these aettings actually correct with the current OLED lineup? Somewhere on GAF it was stated these settings are buggy and you actually have to use low black when the PS4 Pro is set to Full and vice versa (I am using the same settings as you though and can't find the discussion about these specific settings).

On my B6 the PS4 Pro is Limited and the B6 black set to low. Automatic on the PS4 Pro doesn't work properly.

lionpants

Limited on PS4 with High blacks on the B6 OLED would wash out the whole picture.

I've settled on Limited PS4 (auto is sketchy) and Low Blacks on the OLED. This seemed to have the same results as Full PS4 and High Blacks on the OLED, but when HDR games are played it seems the PS4 forces to Limited (even if you have it set to Full), so then it looks wrong. This is why I stuck with Limited PS4 always and Low Blacks on the OLED.

Both setups look the same to me anyway.

Bog

Junior Ace
Why on earth are the B6's back up to $4,000 for the 65"? I thought MSRP dropped in October.

Limited on PS4 with High blacks on the B6 OLED would wash out the whole picture.

I've settled on Limited PS4 (auto is sketchy) and Low Blacks on the OLED. This seemed to have the same results as Full PS4 and High Blacks on the OLED, but when HDR games are played it seems the PS4 forces to Limited (even if you have it set to Full), so then it looks wrong. This is why I stuck with Limited PS4 always and Low Blacks on the OLED.

Both setups look the same to me anyway.

What do you mean with the PS4 forces limited in HDR games?
I can switch between full and limited while in HDR games and compare the effect.

Try FFXV. First of all that game has by far the best HDR implementation but you can also use it's ingame brightness test image to have your set up configured correctly in both HDR and non-HDR mode.
The icon in the middle will simply dissappear if you crush blacks or cut off whites, it's very obvious when you switch between limited/full and low/high (because no matter how you adjust the brightness etc the icons won't show up if the settings are wrong).

I have the PS4 set to full to not limit non-HDR games and my LCD LG TV is set to high in HDR mode and I think also in non-HDR mode (can't check right now)

x3sphere

Still having problems with my LG E6 and PS4Pro. Booted up, started up The Witness and got a black screen with some green flashing bars on the edges. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and it started working again.

Really frustrating.

I had this happen on my C6 yesterday too while booting up to play FFXV.

SOLDIER

Are there any benefits to using Full over Limited? Sounds like most people recommend Limited since it's easier to control the brightness settings to avoid black crushing, but it's sounding like you get a better picture with Full? Some clarification would be helpful.

Also, I've had some issue with the way certain images look "softer" on the screen, though I'm not sure I'm using the right word. This mainly refers to things like on-screen text, such as journals from games (like the one from Let it Die), or the Steam text when using Big Picture Mode. Sharpness helps, and I have it set around 30, but it doesn't entirely do away with the softness I get with the listed examples. I'm wondering if there are other settings I'm not aware of that could be tinkered with.

Also I've been using Cinematic as the preset for all my sources and devices. Should I look into the ISF presets next for an even better picture, using the linked calibration images from before? I recall those having more sharpening settings (for vertical and horizontal), so maybe that can take care of the softness problem as well as the blooming effect I get with a few colors (though that could be from the games themselves and not the TV, it's hard to say).

For ISF, what's the difference between the bright room and dark room settings, and how do you typically tell which setting works with your room (I would describe mine as "medium lit")?

vg260

I don't play a lot of competitive games and I value picture quality over (minimal) input lag.

You're not really getting the true picture, though, with all the extra cinematic effects on. Game mode doesn't degrade the picture as much as it turns all the post-processing stuff off to give you the true, unaltered image.

lionpants

You're not really getting the true picture, though, with all the extra cinematic effects on. Game mode doesn't degrade the picture as much as it turns all the post-processing stuff off to give you the true, unaltered image.
This!

holygeesus

Banned
I don't play a lot of competitive games and I value picture quality over (minimal) input lag.

You are playing on Cinema though. That isn't any different to the options afforded you if you use Game, except you will have a more responsive experience. You can also get Game looking as good as the other modes anyway, with a little effort. Odd decision.

SOLDIER

Interesting, I suppose I could give it a shot, at least for 1080p content.

Ideally I would want an image to look as colorful and vivid as possible, even with artificial filtering in place for some things (I use super resolution, for example, and see no downside to it. I've kept dynamic contrast off though, as that is something that sacrifices detail). If it turns out that's potentially hurting a game's true picture, then I might end up using it after all.

holygeesus

Banned
Interesting, I suppose I could give it a shot, at least for 1080p content.

Ideally I would want an image to look as colorful and vivid as possible, even with artificial filtering in place for some things (I use super resolution, for example, and see no downside to it. I've kept dynamic contrast off though, as that is something that sacrifices detail). If it turns out that's potentially hurting a game's true picture, then I might end up using it after all.

I wouldn't worry about super resolution. It actually works pretty well when dealing with gaming presentation IMO. I have it at medium personally.

Just scrolling through the menus and noticed a setting called super resolution. Do you guys have that on or off?

Of course you leave that off. As the text bubble on the TV will explain, it will sharpen any part of the image that the TV perceives as blurry. Not only can't I think of a scenario where you would want that with native 1080p/4K material, it's the kind of post-processing that will increase input lag.

Something that isn't clear to me are the color gamut settings btw:
On my LG there's Wide, Extended and Standard (default one). In that order from the top.

They are all available in HDR and SDR so I don't think they actually correspond to increased RGB or HDR color spectra respectively?
In HDR, the image just gets more saturated in Standard>Extended>Wide order. While in SDR Wide and Standard almost look the same. This is with PS4 RGB set to Full and wide colors on.

Standard seems to be slightly too muted e.g. in Uncharted while extended makes color pop a bit too much in e.g. the Witness. Nevermind my preference, I just would like to know what they technically do. i.e. do I have to select a certain one to "unlock" full RGB/HDR?

edit: going by the Rtings review I should just leave it on standard.

Just changed my HDR settings again after playing the Witness. The panels are actually pretty good to check if you oversaturate your colors and if they are set up well in the first place. E.g. the yellow line on a solved panel was really hard to see for me on a yellow-green pannel in HDR mode compared to SDR so that's when I knew I had to adjust further.

SOLDIER

I wouldn't worry about super resolution. It actually works pretty well when dealing with gaming presentation IMO. I have it at medium personally.

Since I'm most likely going to ask later, what are some recommended settings on Game mode (and I assume it saves two different settings for both HDR and non-HDR Game mode presets)?

Deepo

Seems there is a new firmware up for EU E and C models on the LG site.

1. Improvement
1) To improve color error issue at the bottom of the screen during HDMI 4K 3D On/Off.

Not something I've personally had problems with, but hey, I'll take it.

EvB

So which should I use on the One S?

Yes, I have calibrated brightness on both. I find I need to use 53 brightness to see all shades of black properly.

I'm using the following settings on PS4 Pro..

PS4: Full RGB Range
TV: High Blacks, 2.2 Gamma

I find HDR content forces itself to limited though for some reason, so I have the TV set to Low Blacks on HDR Standard mode.

10 bit colour is the standard for all the modern TVs.
HDR10 is 10-bit.

holygeesus

Banned
Since I'm most likely going to ask later, what are some recommended settings on Game mode (and I assume it saves two different settings for both HDR and non-HDR Game mode presets)?

I don't have Gaming HDR mode yet on my B6 - waiting for un update. I'll check my settings when I get to my TV.

dgco86

1. Improvement
1) To improve color error issue at the bottom of the screen during HDMI 4K 3D On/Off.

04.30.95 seems to be available for South East Asia and Australia models too (model numbers ending with T). Haven't received it via OTA yet but it's up for download via the respective websites.

b0bbyJ03

Quarter 1 2017 apparently. I think the jury is still out on whether it will happen TBH.

LG themselves confirmed that they would be releasing an HDR game mode for the B6 so it'd be fucked up if they didn't deliver on their promise

I've seen a lot of question here about RGB limited vs full. This article explains why you should always use limited on a TV. Even with your console

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

For those that want the quick points:

With a TV you should always use the RGB Limited setting. Limited refers to the values being limited to 16-235 and not the Full 0-255 scale. With TV and Movies, it leaves them untouched because they are already in the 16-235 range. When you play a video game, it will convert the 0-255 range to the 16-235 range. If it did not do this, shadow and highlights would be pure black or pure white, and the image will look off. You aren’t losing anything by using RGB Limited, but if you use RGB Full with a TV you are losing details. You’ll want to make sure you have Brightness and Contrast set correctly by using a Calibration Disc like Spears & Munsil.

Q: Since video games use the Full RGB palette, shouldn’t I use Full RGB when playing video games and then Limited RGB for movies?

A: No. Most video games are designed using the Full RGB spectrum since they are designed on computers which use that. However, when you are playing a Full RGB game and your video game console is set to Limited, it takes this into account. The video levels are shifted from 0-255 down to 16-235 and the gamma curve is adjusted to match a TV as well. You aren’t losing anything as the system is accounting for this.

NYR

1. Improvement

Kinda pissed the latest firmware For the E series doesn't address the PS4 Pro issues. Come the fuck on, you fixed it for the 2015 models already.

This is up on the Canadian site too, listed under the 55 inch model only.

Man, why are these OLED taking so long to drop in price? After the deals, back up to $2500 and $3000!

I ain't spending over a grand for a 55 in. TV.

Man, why are these OLED taking so long to drop in price? After the deals, back up to $2500 and $3000!

I ain't spending over a grand for a 55 in. TV.
There you're not buying an OLED anytime soon. Even at its most discounted, the B6 and C6 were in the $1400-$1500 range. The 2017 models aren't going to drop in price significantly over the 2016 models at launch either. Even Sony's 55inch OLED is rumored to be in the $1999 range though even that's been questioned now with some of the stuff coming out CES.

Top Bottom