• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

holygeesus

Banned
LG themselves confirmed that they would be releasing an HDR game mode for the B6 so it'd be fucked up if they didn't deliver on their promise

While I agree with you 100% it's worrying that they said late November and it's now January already. I'm not that fussed as I don't find gaming in HDR that much of a problem, lag-wise, as it is, to be honest.

Lucifon

Quarter 1 2017 apparently. I think the jury is still out on whether it will happen TBH.

It'd be incredibly slimey if they go back on their word of releasing it. I could have got the C for the exact same price at the time but figured the extra hdmi port was more worth it to me than a curved display which might increase the effect of light reflections.

pswii60

Kinda pissed the latest firmware For the E series doesn't address the PS4 Pro issues. .

Is this the HDMI handshake issues, where you have to turn your PS4 off and on again to see the picture? I still get this occasionally with my PS4 Pro + C6, but disabling HDCP solves the problem (but clearly a plaster rather than a fix).

There you're not buying an OLED anytime soon. Even at its most discounted, the B6 and C6 were in the $1400-$1500 range. The 2017 models aren't going to drop in price significantly over the 2016 models at launch either. Even Sony's 55inch OLED is rumored to be in the $1999 range though even that's been questioned now with some of the stuff coming out CES.
Darnit, but I don't want to setting for the Samsung one, I want the TV that will still look amazing in 4 years.

Hmmmm...maybe I'll bump it $1300-1500 range, which means I'll have to wait all the way till next holiday season. Kinda wanted one to play Horizon on...

We'll see what CES brings

Man, why are these OLED taking so long to drop in price? After the deals, back up to $2500 and $3000!

I ain't spending over a grand for a 55 in. TV.

People in NA (or the USA at least) don't even know how those deals were. In Germany, the 55" B6 still hasn't dropped below 2399€ at any trustworthy retailer and that's the low-end model. The C6D is usually 2999€ and I didn't even bother to check for the E6 or the 65" models. I don't think any of the models, even on sale, has ever dropped below 2 grand here. You can get a grey-market import from the UK for ~2500€ (C6V), but I don't know how LG handles the warranty in those cases.

At this point I keep waiting for new models, hoping the current (and then "old") generation will drop a good bit, seeing how the 2015 generation models were on fire sale a couple of times (55" EG 9109 for 1300€, for example). I don't care about 4K, but an OLED panel with a good HDR implementation is a must.

Heidern98

(snip)

I've seen a lot of question here about RGB limited vs full. This article explains why you should always use limited on a TV. Even with your console

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

For those that want the quick points:

I've always been skeptical of this and if you look at the article you can see that the author has recently posted this comment:

Chris Heinonen Mod Jonas • 2 months ago

HDR I have not tested or researched yet, but will do that and try to get that information added. You wouldn't want to use standard gamut here because for HDR, you have to use the larger color gamut of Rec.2020, which would be wide. Using Wide with non-HDR content will result in over-saturated colors that are incorrect. So I would set that to Wide, but for full vs. limited I'll have to actually research how the consoles are handling that before I can tell you for certain.

b0bbyJ03

Man, why are these OLED taking so long to drop in price? After the deals, back up to $2500 and $3000!

Because only LG is making panels. They pretty much have a monopoly on the market and can control market prices.

I've always been skeptical of this and if you look at the article you can see that the author has recently posted this comment:

Limited/full only refers to an RGB signal. HDR is not using RGB on the consoles and switches on the fly (unless I'm missing something, to which I'd be open to learning).

I've just installed the new .95 update on my Australian 65 Inch E6 and can confirm that although it isn't mentioned in the patch notes, the 'HDR Game' option is now available.
Edit: Also I've found that I can set the colour gamut option to normal whilst in HDR game mode too. Weren't some people complaining it was forced to wide?

Kyoufu

I've just installed the new .95 update on my Australian 65 Inch E6 and can confirm that although it isn't mentioned in the patch notes, the 'HDR Game' option is now available.
Edit: Also I've found that I can set the colour gamut option to normal whilst in HDR game mode too. Weren't some people complaining it was forced to wide?

It's forced to Wide on SDR.

NYR

Is this the HDMI handshake issues, where you have to turn your PS4 off and on again to see the picture? I still get this occasionally with my PS4 Pro + C6, but disabling HDCP solves the problem (but clearly a plaster rather than a fix).

Yep. What sucks about using 1.4 is you don't get to use 4K content like Netflix.

Sounds like LG engineers are stating game input lag will be in the 21-30ms range on the new 2017 models and they'll all include the HDR game mode.

A friend also relayed some twitter updates that said that ABL would be disabled for SDR content in the 2017 models as well.

watership

Sounds like LG engineers are stating game input lag will be in the 21-30ms range on the new 2017 models and they'll all include the HDR game mode.

A friend also relayed some twitter updates that said that ABL would be disabled for SDR content in the 2017 models as well.

Keep in mind that you will be waiting until at least June for those TVs. Most manufacturers release the Top of the line models first, like the G series, in April, then slowly roll out the lower end later. Even then, the B was not really in any great quantities until Sept.

You may be waiting 6-8 months.

Keep in mind that you will be waiting until at least June for those TVs. Most manufacturers release the Top of the line models first, like the G series, in April, then slowly roll out the lower end later. Even then, the B was not really in any great quantities until Sept.

You may be waiting 6-8 months.

I own a B6. I have less than zero interest in buying a 2017 model especially considering what's been announced at CES (which is iterative at best).

Just posting it for those that MAY be interested.

SOLDIER

On the subject, I've been having an issue with my home theater receiver, which I've set up to turn on/off along with the TV.

When the home theater switches to a source that's connected directly to the receiver (like my PS3), it will display the correct image, but the audio input won't switch. I have to manually hit the input buttons on the remote until it both displays the PS3 and also outputs the correct audio. Was wondering if there was a way to fix this.

Also, what's a recommended preset for Anime? Now that I've learned that Cinematic adds a sort of soft sheen that wasn't present in Game Mode, I was wondering what would be ideal for animation and other colorful movies.

Is there also a way to save these presets the same way Samsung offered with the KS8000? On that TV, you could for example save a Cinematic preset with the HDMI source your PS4 is connected to, and select that from a list without having to manually change the preset yourself.

watership

I own a B6. I have less than zero interest in buying a 2017 model especially considering what's been announced at CES (which is iterative at best).

Just posting it for those that MAY be interested.

I guess I should have addressed that to potential buyers and not just you :) This always gets people who get excited at CES. If your in market for a TV. Buy one now. Prices are great. If you want the latest you're seeing at CES, you'll pay a great deal more, and you'll have to wait until the 2nd half the year for them.

McSpidey

Just updated my Aus E6 to the new HDR game mode firmware, which is excellent! However I think PS4 Pro HDCP handshake issues may now be worse, when switching HDR mode on/off. Have multiple times now received an "Invalid format" error or black screen on switch and have to turn the tv off/on to fix.

Weevilone

When the home theater switches to a source that's connected directly to the receiver (like my PS3), it will display the correct image, but the audio input won't switch. I have to manually hit the input buttons on the remote until it both displays the PS3 and also outputs the correct audio. Was wondering if there was a way to fix this.

It is most likely a timing thing. If everything is powering on together it's likely screwing up the handshakes. So many of the issues people are having are due to HDMI handshake issues and often HDCP 2.2 problems. It is best if things power up in a sequence, which is likely TV - AVR - device. When I program universal remotes, I always insert delays in between the devices coming online. What's best is dependent on your setup so you'll have to play with it.

Wait what?! This is HUGE for me if true. And means that I can finally upgrade from my VT60 plasma.

Can you please post a link where the LG engineers have said this and also your friend's Twitter?

JaguarCROW

PS4 Pro black screen - I have a an LG OLED 65G6P and have experienced the Black screen issue both being connected to the TV and connected through my Denon X6200W receiver. The Denon seems to have more frequent audio issues with the PS4 Pro (so much so that I have had to connect directly to the LG TV) but I am still occasionally seeing the Black screen for a few seconds (about 1-2 times per hour of play time and more frequently with games that constantly change resolutions and display modes).

So far no updates to the PS4 Pro or the LG TV have resolved the issue. (HDCP is disabled on the PS4 Pro)

Wait what?! This is HUGE for me if true. And means that I can finally upgrade from my VT60 plasma.

Can you please post a link where the LG engineers have said this and also your friend's Twitter?

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1483556000

Let me see if I can grab the ABL tweet. Give me a bit.

Mine is via a receiver, but I know someone who's is direct with the same issue.

PS4 Pro black screen - I have a an LG OLED 65G6P and have experienced the Black screen issue both being connected to the TV and connected through my Denon X6200W receiver. The Denon seems to have more frequent audio issues with the PS4 Pro (so much so that I have had to connect directly to the LG TV) but I am still occasionally seeing the Black screen for a few seconds (about 1-2 times per hour of play time and more frequently with games that constantly change resolutions and display modes).

So far no updates to the PS4 Pro or the LG TV have resolved the issue. (HDCP is disabled on the PS4 Pro)

Strange. I ask because I've had the B6 since before the update and have been running through a Denon AVR720W and have never had the issue at all. I didn't know if it was only specific to plugging in direct. Thanks for the input.

SOOOO looking forward to getting the 65c! While I DO like the really bright LED tvs, I understand this model still gets pretty bright, and since the scenes I am let down on most are the night/darker scenes, I'm really excited to see how they look on OLED.

holygeesus

Banned

It has only been fixed on the B6 so far, I believe, which is bizarre as the other sets now seem to have HDR game modes and no HDCP fix. LG really messed up by using a different SoC on the B6.

The PS4 has been flawless on my B6 with HDCP 2.2 enabled since the update. Not a single issue.

NYR

For those having the PS4 black screen issue - the PS4's are connected direct to the television correct?
Yep. Direct connect to HDMI 3.

I shouldn't say "really glad" but I am really glad to seeing I'm not the only one experiencing issues with the PS4 Pro, not a lot of complaints with the E/G6 online that I have read, so I always thought it was just my set. LG needs to fix this ASAP.

People in NA (or the USA at least) don't even know how those deals were. In Germany, the 55" B6 still hasn't dropped below 2399€ at any trustworthy retailer and that's the low-end model. The C6D is usually 2999€ and I didn't even bother to check for the E6 or the 65" models. I don't think any of the models, even on sale, has ever dropped below 2 grand here. You can get a grey-market import from the UK for ~2500€ (C6V), but I don't know how LG handles the warranty in those cases.

Warranty is the same as far as I have read on german hifi-forum.
As for the 55B6 looks like you'll be able to buy it for 1.999€ at Media Markt in the next days. And you get a 500€ gift coupon.

Wow, that's great if true. OTOH no 3D and I still have use for 3D.

Just updated my Aus E6 to the new HDR game mode firmware, which is excellent! However I think PS4 Pro HDCP handshake issues may now be worse, when switching HDR mode on/off. Have multiple times now received an "Invalid format" error or black screen on switch and have to turn the tv off/on to fix.

For those having the PS4 black screen issue - the PS4's are connected direct to the television correct?

Mine is via a receiver, but I know someone who's is direct with the same issue.

It has only been fixed on the B6 so far, I believe, which is bizarre as the other sets now seem to have HDR game modes and no HDCP fix. LG really messed up by using a different SoC on the B6.

The PS4 has been flawless on my B6 with HDCP 2.2 enabled since the update. Not a single issue.
Yep. Direct connect to HDMI 3.

I shouldn't say "really glad" but I am really glad to seeing I'm not the only one experiencing issues with the PS4 Pro, not a lot of complaints with the E/G6 online that I have read, so I always thought it was just my set. LG needs to fix this ASAP.

My PS4 Pro is also directly connected to HDMI #3 of a 55E6 (with the .90 FW) and I get the black screen EVERY DAMN TIME I boot up the console. Really annoying.
I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro.

NYR

My PS4 Pro is also directly connected to HDMI #3 of a 55E6 (with the .90 FW) and I get the black screen EVERY DAMN TIME I boot up the console. Really annoying.
I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro.
I tried another cable, one that actually came with an Xbox One S and it works a "bit" better. I ordered an HDMI certified cable from monoprice and will try that just to be sure but this is a pretty big problem.

Key words there on the no ABL: "if you're at 150 nits or less".
Right. The key word in my original post was SDR. Which when properly configured for movie watching as an example falls right into that range. It won't suit every preference obviously but there you go. Especially coming from a VT60 plasma which was mentioned that had a peak brightness of what? 158cd/m2 and also had ABL.

I tried another cable, one that actually came with an Xbox One S and it works a "bit" better. I ordered an HDMI certified cable from monoprice and will try that just to be sure but this is a pretty big problem.

I was going to ask the cable being used. I'm using premium certified cables from Monoprice on my setup but it seems of the other models have not gotten the PS4 Pro patch other than the B6. Is that correct?

NYR

I was going to ask the cable being used. I'm using premium certified cables from Monoprice on my setup but it seems of the other models have not gotten the PS4 Pro patch other than the B6. Is that correct?
Older OLED models have the fix but yes, the B6 seems to be the only one that addressed the handshake issues for 2016 models. Here are the models fixed:

OLED55B6P-U

OLED65B6P-U

55UH7500-UA

60UH7500-UA

65UH7500-UA

55UH7700-UB

60UH7700-UB

65UH7700-UB

70UH6350-UB

55UH6150-UB

65UH6150-UB

55UH6090-UF

49UH6090-UJ

43UH6100-UH

49UH6100-UH

55UH615A-UC

65UH615A-UC

Darnit, but I don't want to setting for the Samsung one, I want the TV that will still look amazing in 4 years.

Hmmmm...maybe I'll bump it $1300-1500 range, which means I'll have to wait all the way till next holiday season. Kinda wanted one to play Horizon on...

We'll see what CES brings

And then they just announced a 4K HDR OLED.

I know what I'm buying for my next TV lol.

And supports Dolby Vision.

Still no word on the update for B6 models?

How does right now sound?

UHEe9pq.jpg

OLED 65B6P..

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P#

Noticeable difference in Ratchet and Clank.. muuuch more responsive feeling w/ HDR game mode enabled.

McSpidey

The new game mode HDR looks to also have slightly improved tone-mapping in the lower/dark ranges on my E6 (not as dark as before). I like it.

ACH1LL3US

I heard LG were passing around a press release stating 21ms input lag on the 2017 sets, where does it say between 21-30ms? Is the higher number for the hdr setting?

Also the abl being turned off for sdr is also huge news! I would have hoped they did a firmware update for 2016 sets to give same input lag and abl disabled :(

NYR

Jesus. Now everyone has game mode and we still have issues with handshake issues on the Pro. Fucking LG.

How does right now sound?

UHEe9pq.jpg

OLED 65B6P..

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P#

Noticeable difference in Ratchet and Clank.. muuuch more responsive feeling w/ HDR game mode enabled.

Good stuff! Thanks.

I heard LG were passing around a press release stating 21ms input lag on the 2017 sets, where does it say between 21-30ms? Is the higher number for the hdr setting?

Also the abl being turned off for sdr is also huge news! I would have hoped they did a firmware update for 2016 sets to give same input lag and abl disabled :(

There's been some conflicting reports. Some other sites staring up to 30ms. I figured I'd cover both sides of the spectrum.:)

Yeah I installed it. Figured it out, too. Was in my PS4 menu and not actually in a game. I assumed it was just an option I could pick but it's been sorted out! FFXV feels a bit more responsive :)

Warranty is the same as far as I have read on german hifi-forum.
As for the 55B6 looks like you'll be able to buy it for 1.999€ at Media Markt in the next days. And you get a 500€ gift coupon.

Thank you very much. That's really helpful. The price is incredibly tempting, but I'm inclined to wait for a drop on the C6, because I was told the SoC was much better. Still, 2.000€ is really tempting...

Why on earth are the B6's back up to $4,000 for the 65"? I thought MSRP dropped in October.

Hmmm...so it wasn't just me. I noticed the B6 55 inch was back up to $2,999 MSRP and it was on sale for $2499 until something like 1/7/17 at Best Buy. I thought I was imagining things because I could of sworn it was $1,999 in some places. I think I decided on the OLED for gaming, movies and TV, but not sure if I want to spend near $300 when I feel that over $2000 was pushing for something I wanted to spend only $1000-$1500 on.

I am honestly thinking because the lack of competition for LG is the reason the OLED's are taking a long time to drop in price. I also heard they were very difficult to manufacture which probably contributes to the price as well. I really want one, but I was a little surprised today when I actually saw them increase in price when they were like $1800-$2000 on sale in my area for the 55" B6 model.

Top Bottom