• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Lucifon

How does right now sound?

UHEe9pq.jpg

OLED 65B6P..

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P#

Noticeable difference in Ratchet and Clank.. muuuch more responsive feeling w/ HDR game mode enabled.

Yes!!

Still no B6 update here in the UK. Neither on the website nor the TV itself.

Noooo :( how long is the difference between US and UK firmware releases usually?

rtings has updated their review with new testing..

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

1080p @ 60Hz : 27.6 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 53.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 54.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 62.9 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 27.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 70.9 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 28.5 ms

Input lag no longer cycles as well.

Chao

Still waiting for my TV to update, Spanish C6. Tried to download the firmware from the website but tv won't detect it, maybe I got a French model unknowingly or something and the firmwares are different, I don't really know

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm...so it wasn't just me. I noticed the B6 55 inch was back up to $2,999 MSRP and it was on sale for $2499 until something like 1/7/17 at Best Buy. I thought I was imagining things because I could of sworn it was $1,999 in some places. I think I decided on the OLED for gaming, movies and TV, but not sure if I want to spend near $300 when I feel that over $2000 was pushing for something I wanted to spend only $1000-$1500 on.

Yeah, I got my B6 for $1799 around Black Friday. I think that's the lowest it got at places like Best Buy and Amazon.

I wouldn't recommend picking one up at this point, especially for higher than that. I haven't been paying attention to CES, but surely improved models are coming this year, right? I heard that Sony is releasing an OLED display this year, too, although that will probably be insanely expensive.

NYR

Still waiting for my TV to update, Spanish C6. Tried to download the firmware from the website but tv won't detect it, maybe I got a French model unknowingly or something and the firmwares are different, I don't really know

You shouldn't be trying to update the C6 with a B6 update. The update to the C6 was 04.30.19 which added HDR Game more and just a day or so ago, 04.30.95 came out which didn't do much of anything.

Chao

You shouldn't be trying to update the C6 with a B6 update. The update to the C6 was 04.30.19 which added HDR Game more and just a day or so ago, 04.30.95 came out which didn't do much of anything.

Don't worry I'm not doing that, I'm still waiting for the hdr game mode on my C6,which supposedly should be out by now, but every time I check for it, it's stil not available

flozuki

Try another stick and have you followed the instruction (put the firmware in a certain named folder)?

By the way: How has everyone set up PS4 (Pro) and the E6/G6/etc.? After checking everything (automatic and full black, Full RGB and high Black level and limited RGB and low Black level) I really preferred Limited RGB and low Black level in Last Guardian. Everything else seemed washed out.

I wouldn't recommend picking one up at this point, especially for higher than that. I haven't been paying attention to CES, but surely improved models are coming this year, right? I heard that Sony is releasing an OLED display this year, too, although that will probably be insanely expensive.

It makes sense that you'd assume that, but after the reveals yesterday it would probably make more sense to get a cheaper 2016 model.

The 2017 series seems to be an incremental upgrade (a bit brighter, 1% higher color accuracy), while at the same time missing out on HDMI 2.1. They also ditched 3D on all models, which might be important to some.

Personally, I'm still deciding between the B6 and C6. The B6 would most likely be more than good enough, but having a weaker SoC that isn't as high on LG's priority list makes it a harder choice for me to spend that much money on it.

paskowitz

I think I am going to wait for a price drop on the B6 or a good used deal but I like what I am seeing. 27ms is very acceptable.

NYR

By the way: How has everyone set up PS4 (Pro) and the E6/G6/etc.? After checking everything (automatic and full black, Full RGB and high Black level and limited RGB and low Black level) I really preferred Limited RGB and low Black level in Last Guardian. Everything else seemed washed out.
Limited RGB is definitely the way to go.

ukas

By fixing a broken feature on the product they released? They sure are lol.

It wasn't feature to begin with so I'm not sure how that's broken. As a matter of fact no '16 models from any manufacturer had this built in. They were all added after release. The fact that they took the time to add it and not push it off to the '17 models speak well for them and other manufacturers. Whether you like it or not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
By fixing a broken feature on the product they released? They sure are lol.
It wasn't broken. The lag was still reasonable before. Not great, but better than many other TV's with game mode disabled. It's the fact that they listened to customers and improved their product which makes them pretty awesome.

Question. Does game mode affect image quality in any way?

It locks the color gamut to wide and disables several CMS options, so a little bit. It still looks good though. I've personally been using the ISF modes (with the appropriate post processing junk disabled) to play games. Moving the mouse around on my desktop I can tell a very slight difference between game mode and the ISF modes, but once I'm playing I don't. When I get my set calibrated by Chad B. on the 20th I'm going to see how accurate he can get game mode.

EDIT: Oh, you're probably talking about HDR game mode huh? In that case wide color gamut is what you want so that's no problem. I haven't really played much in HDR on the TV but what I have (The Last Guardian, a little bit of FFXV) looked great.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It locks the color gamut to wide and disables several CMS options, so a little bit. It still looks good though. I've personally been using the ISF modes (with the appropriate post processing junk disabled) to play games. Moving the mouse around on my desktop I can tell a very slight difference between game mode and the ISF modes, but once I'm playing I don't. When I get my set calibrated by Chad B. on the 20th I'm going to see how accurate he can get game mode.

EDIT: Oh, you're probably talking about HDR game mode huh? In that case wide color gamut is what you want so that's no problem. I haven't really played much in HDR on the TV but what I have (The Last Guardian, a little bit of FFXV) looked great.

Pretty sure you want Normal whether you're in HDR or not. Wide isn't what it seems to be and I think Chad B. has updated his calibration specs regarding that.

Luckily it isn't locked to Wide in HDR Game mode apparently as it is in standard Game mode.

holygeesus

Banned
Has anyone figured out the difference between PC mode and the regular Game mode on these sets? Naming your input PC disables a lot of options, but does it improve the lag further?

b0bbyJ03

wow! i can't believe the B6 lag numbers! I'm so fucking happy right now. hahahaha

Also, I can't believe it bests the C/E6. I had major buyers remorse for not going with one of those for the last month. Guess the torture paid off.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god, can't wait to get home this afternoon and get the B6 setup! 10 days to spare in case there are any defects with the set... phew! I was about to return the thing this weekend and pay out the ass for a B7 or E7. Crisis adverted. Thanks LG!

Hmmm...so it wasn't just me. I noticed the B6 55 inch was back up to $2,999 MSRP and it was on sale for $2499 until something like 1/7/17 at Best Buy. I thought I was imagining things because I could of sworn it was $1,999 in some places. I think I decided on the OLED for gaming, movies and TV, but not sure if I want to spend near $300 when I feel that over $2000 was pushing for something I wanted to spend only $1000-$1500 on.

$2,500-$3,000 is quite the price increase over the $1,799 I paid for the 55" B6 a month ago. Probably has to do with the fact that LG has a monopoly in OLED and these sets are pricey to manufacture. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going for a loss during the holidays just to get them into people's living rooms for the word of mouth among friends/family. If I was you I'd honestly wait until the 2017 models start trickling out to make a purchase unless you need it now. No way they can maintain this price point unless they just release the top end 2017 model first and take months to push out their other sets.

datamage

Has anyone figured out the difference between PC mode and the regular Game mode on these sets? Naming your input PC disables a lot of options, but does it improve the lag further?

From what I recall, using PC as the input actually adds input lag, but I hope I'm wrong.

ACH1LL3US

It wasn't broken. The lag was still reasonable before. Not great, but better than many other TV's with game mode disabled. It's the fact that they listened to customers and improved their product which makes them pretty awesome.

So have you updated yours to the new firmware?

I returned a c6 last week due to the lag and I also didn't like the curve.

I have been using my Pioneer Kuro for gaming in the meantime and it's lag feels less then the c6 which my Leo bodnar showed as 34ms for the middle bar and 39ms for the bottom bar. The Kuro shows 40ms for all three bars.

Just bought the 65b6 due to the lower lag, can't wait to use it now with the lower lag.

I see a lot of people worry about image retention with the pleads and I haven't had any issues with that. Nor did I with the Kuro.

ACH1LL3US

From what I recall, using PC as the input actually adds input lag, but I hope I'm wrong.

It increases lag but adds 4:4:4 chroma.

I will say this, even though my Leo bodnar was showing the same numbers for PC mode with game picture mode and game mode outside of PC mode, game mode definitely felt faster.

I would sacrifice 4:4:4 for lower lag imho unless I was using a PC on the tv.

b0bbyJ03

at 27ms, does that officially make the B6 one of the best gaming TVs out there? I know the KS8000 beats it in that respect but only by 5ms. The lowest I've see is from Vizio, they had a 19ms TV but I could be wrong. Either way, if you take the 27ms and combine it with the .01ms pixel response time, seems like a good combo.

datamage

at 27ms, does that officially make the B6 one of the best gaming TVs out there? I know the KS8000 beats it in that respect but only by 5ms. The lowest I've see is from Vizio, they had a 19ms TV but I could be wrong. Either way, if you take the 27ms and combine it with the .01ms pixel response time, seems like a good combo.

Seeing how few people dismissed the OLED due to the input lag, I would say so. I would love to see how many people are actually affected by input lag without knowing the hard numbers from the set. I owned a KS8000 for a little bit, and I felt little to no difference when I switched to the C6. (I also have a 165Hz/G-sync monitor for FPS/online stuff.)

MoxManiac

I dunno, I wouldn't be happy with 28.5 ms. Anything over 20 really isn't acceptable to me. I'm probably going to be in the market for a 4k TV next year and I have a sinking feeling it's going to be hard as hell to find something I'm happy with.

ACH1LL3US

Pretty much the b6 is now the best gaming tv out there except the Samsung's ku8000 and 9000 series which has between 21-24ms depending on which you choose.

ACH1LL3US

I dunno, I wouldn't be happy with 28.5 ms. Anything over 20 really isn't acceptable to me. I'm probably going to be in the market for a 4k TV next year and I have a sinking feeling it's going to be hard as hell to find something I'm happy with.

25ms is my threshold but hoping 27.5ms will be fine, I didn't like the 34ms the c6 I previously had.

ACH1LL3US

Seeing how few people dismissed the OLED due to the input lag, I would say so. I would love to see how many people are actually affected by input lag without knowing the hard numbers from the set. I owned a KS8000 for a little bit, and I felt little to no difference when I switched to the C6. (I also have a 165Hz/G-sync monitor for FPS/online stuff.)

I too had a ks8500 and didn't have ANY issues with the input lag. My Leo bodnar showed 23.4ms for the ks8500 on the middle bar.

Then I upgraded to the c6 and I for sure felt a major difference in lag, to me the c6 ( 34ms middle bar ) just had way too much lag for my tastes, it went past my threshold of feeling lag. At 27.5ms on the b6 that could just be enough not to be an issue for gaming for most console gamers.

b0bbyJ03

I do my best not to be a snob about these things because I like to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to games and tech, but I was able to personally tell that the input lag on the B6 was too high. I understand that everyone is different when it comes to their sensitivities to things (30fps vs 60fps for example) so I never once criticized the people that said it was fine. as soon as I got rid of my ST60 and switched to the B6, input lag was noticeable to me. Glad the update is finally here.

Top Bottom