• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I downloaded and installed the newest firmware but I'm not seeing the HDR Game video mode when I fire up my PS4 Pro (just "regular" Game mode).

I haven't tried any games yet just messing around on the xmb. Do I need to be playing a game that utilizes HDR then look/select the new HDR Game Mode each time I play a HDR game or am I simply missing the setting?

HDR will only activate once you're in a game that uses HDR.

The thing that I hate about normal LED TVs is the horrible clouding and backlight bleed. Every panel suffers from it. I've already returned and replaced one KS8000 but if I do it again I'm sure I'll have the same issue. The other issue is the picture quality doesn't even match my 8 year old Panasonic plasma. Which is abysmal really. How can a 2016 TV fail to match the image quality of an old plasma? 4K content (and 1080p blurays) looks fantastic on the KS8000 though. But everything else doesn't look too good IMO.

I actually had a KS9000 all payed for a ready to pick up before I switched to the LG. The lack of 3D on the Samsung as well as having the LEDs at the bottom and all the clouding stories is what made me switch to an OLED.
My E6 isn't perfect though, I do have some small grey uniformity issues that only appear when the OLED light is cranked all the way to 100 (basically when viewing HDR). They're nothing to really worry about though, there's only a small vertical band on the left and a couple of slightly darker patches on the far right edge of the screen. But as I said before they're only slightly noticeable if the content is displaying a single dark colour(ie. deep in the ocean).

I downloaded and installed the newest firmware but I'm not seeing the HDR Game video mode when I fire up my PS4 Pro (just "regular" Game mode).

I haven't tried any games yet just messing around on the xmb. Do I need to be playing a game that utilizes HDR then look/select the new HDR Game Mode each time I play a HDR game or am I simply missing the setting?

I think the Dashboard only displays in HDR when you bring it up whilst running a game in HDR. So start up an HDR game and you should be able to choose it.

dragos495

the menu isnt in hdr, just the games. and not all games. :)

as soon as you'll start and hdr game, the tv will switch to hdr game mode and you will have an option to choose the preset, vivid, light standard or game.

le: i let the tab open and everybody else replied too. damn.

GOOCHY

I've only tried it out on Ratchet & Clank so far but you can definitely tell the difference. Great job. LG! This is for sure the best gaming TV out there right now.

Ins

Neo Member
Question to B6 owners: is there an option to turn on dynamic contrast in game mode ?

Namikaze

Wow, they actually did it...my KS8000 is outside of the return period and is mounted on the wall even if it wasn't. I'm slightly jealous.

Ins

Neo Member

Nice. For HDR games I like to turn DC on, and as I remember there wasn't option for that in EG910V so i was a bit worried. I've bought KS7000 (EU) six moths ago, so I definitely can't return it and I'm starting to be jealous too :)

Lexxism

So in terms of image quality, the B6 is a superior panel to the KS8000 (UK version - I think that's the KS9000 in US)?
Yes. The upside of ks8000 over this TV are price and the input lag. Though, LG was able to close the gap with the latest firmware update. Just 5-6ms difference.

Ryde3

did the B6 firmware come out in Canada/NA? I don't see HDR Game Mode just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. Are you guys side loading it from LGs website?

Lexxism

did the B6 firmware come out in Canada/NA? I don't see HDR Game Mode just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. Are you guys side loading it from LGs website?
Yes, since 01/04. Check the 55" version of your TV and you'll see the firmware.

Mookow

I was using my own HDR profile before, but now that game mode is in I'm not sure for my B6. Are you guys leaving the settings default in game mode or changing them much? If so, what are you changing?

J-P

Neo Member
Need some advice please. Any reason to wait for the 2017 models? Been dying for OLED for years and the input lag coupled with the fact that it seemed like you need a PHD to get all the settings right for gaming in 4K with HDR had me waiting. Seems most of that has been fixed via updates. Is that true? Recently got a PS4 pro. Also, I use Sonos 5.1 so ideally I'd like the TV to pass 5.1 via optical. Does it? Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

Need some advice please. Any reason to wait for the 2017 models? Been dying for OLED for years and the input lag coupled with the fact that it seemed like you need a PHD to get all the settings right for gaming in 4K with HDR had me waiting. Seems most of that has been fixed via updates. Is that true? Recently got a PS4 pro. Also, I use Sonos 5.1 so ideally I'd like the TV to pass 5.1 via optical. Does it? Thanks in advance for the help/advice!
The improvements are incremental at best and with HLG coming to the 2016 models via firmware update - I don't see much of a reason to wait unless you want to wait for more reports as to whether LG has improved motion handling at all on the 2017 models.

J-P

Neo Member
The improvements are incremental at best and with HLG coming to the 2016 models via firmware update - I don't see much of a reason to wait unless you want to wait for more reports as to whether LG has improved motion handling at all on the 2017 models.

I see. Thank you very much for the reply. How bad is the motion handling? My main concern is getting into a similar situation that i am in now. Bought a 65 in Samsung 4K a couple years ago and it has no HDR and all the other LED issues. Got divorced recently and my ex kept the Panasonic plasma so I've been struggling to say the least lol. Just want to make sure the 2016 model is future proof for at least 3-5 years. Any idea about the 5.1 over optical?

pswii60

Hello fellow Partridge!

I'd honestly avoid the LG LCDs, simply because they use IPS panels. IPS has a couple of advantages with a faster response and wider viewing angle, but the black levels and contrast ratio leave a lot to be desired. At that budget, if picture quality is important, you might be better looking at an equivalent Samsung which will use a VA panel:
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...laystation-now-active-crystal-colour/p2693380

Or perhaps you could spend another £100 and get an additional 3" and Panasonic image processing to boot:
http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...-wi-fi-art-of-interior-switch-design/p2577520

I think I'd go for the Panasonic if it were me. But I have a C6 OLED, so... :D

I see. Thank you very much for the reply. How bad is the motion handling? My main concern is getting into a similar situation that i am in now. Bought a 65 in Samsung 4K a couple years ago and it has no HDR and all the other LED issues. Got divorced recently and my ex kept the Panasonic plasma so I've been struggling to say the least lol. Just want to make sure the 2016 model is future proof for at least 3-5 years. Any idea about the 5.1 over optical?
Depends on what type of set you're coming. Moving from a plasma that resolves 900 lines of resolution without any type of major processing to the B6 with 300 lines (typical of a sample and hold display) without Trumotion to 600 lines with Trumotion enabled? I detest the soap opera effect introduced with high levels of motion processing and artifacting can be an issue if you try to customize and push it to high.

So yes, it's noticeable and the achilles heel of the OLED displays from LG (we'll see what magic Sony can work with their X1 processor) but then its more noticeable for me because of what I upgraded from.:) It's a damn shame LG haven't done any type of black frame insertion on their sets though in this world of higher nits that we're playing in, reducing the light output of the set isn't likely to be appealing to them.

J-P

Neo Member
Depends on what type of set you're coming. Moving from a plasma that resolves 900 lines of resolution without any type of major processing to the B6 with 300 lines (typical of a sample and hold display) without Trumotion to 600 lines with Trumotion enabled? I detest the soap opera effect introduced with high levels of motion processing and artifacting can be an issue if you try to customize and push it to high.

So yes, it's noticeable and the achilles heel of the OLED displays from LG (we'll see what magic Sony can work with their X1 processor) but then its more noticeable for me because of what I upgraded from.:) It's a damn shame LG haven't done any type of black frame insertion on their sets though in this world of higher nits that we're playing in, reducing the light output of the set isn't likely to be appealing to them.

Hmmmm. I also detest the soap opera effect and have turned 95% of image processing off of my current LED. I'm coming from a V series plasma but I've been using the LED for a while now and motion blur isn't one of my major issues with It. It's moreso the cloudiness and shitty blacks etc. Can you give me an idea of how bad the OLED would perform motion wise (with the soap opera shit off) compared to an OLED with similar settings (processing wise)? I know it's not an exact science just wondering if it's like, bad bad, for lack of a better term.

holygeesus

Banned

To counter this, I came from a plasma to the B6 and find the motion absolutely fine. I watch a lot of fast moving sports and of course game, and it's never an issue for me. I think the almost instant pixel response time mitigates the lack of motion resolution. I'm not exactly sure it is something Sony will be able to solve easily either for the reason you mention - gotta have them nits!

As an aside, you can double the motion resolution without encountering SOE - whacking de-blur up to 10 does that without introducing the effect. Just leave de-judder alone. YMMV.

Drahcir

I was using my own HDR profile before, but now that game mode is in I'm not sure for my B6. Are you guys leaving the settings default in game mode or changing them much? If so, what are you changing?

I'd like to know this as well. Got the update (finally) for HDR Game mode last night. So far I just lowered the Backlight to 50 because it seems way too bright by default. Most everything else looks good since they're all turned off.

Hmmmm. I also detest the soap opera effect and have turned 95% of image processing off of my current LED. I'm coming from a V series plasma but I've been using the LED for a while now and motion blur isn't one of my major issues with It. It's moreso the cloudiness and shitty blacks etc. Can you give me an idea of how bad the OLED would perform motion wise (with the soap opera shit off) compared to an OLED with similar settings (processing wise)? I know it's not an exact science just wondering if it's like, bad bad, for lack of a better term.
Coming from an LCD you'll likely be fine. As holygeesus mentions, you can customize TruMotion to mitigate some of the issues and end up with a pleasing enough image without introducing SOE or artifacting.

Hello fellow Partridge!

I'd honestly avoid the LG LCDs, simply because they use IPS panels. IPS has a couple of advantages with a faster response and wider viewing angle, but the black levels and contrast ratio leave a lot to be desired. At that budget, if picture quality is important, you might be better looking at an equivalent Samsung which will use a VA panel:
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...laystation-now-active-crystal-colour/p2693380

Or perhaps you could spend another £100 and get an additional 3" and Panasonic image processing to boot:
http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...-wi-fi-art-of-interior-switch-design/p2577520

I think I'd go for the Panasonic if it were me. But I have a C6 OLED, so... :D
AHA! Thanks for the reply , I've had my eye on the exact same panasonic TV aswell as the LG but still undecided. Aslong as the PS4 Pro looks decent on it im happy.

J-P

Neo Member
Thanks for the replies all. I think if i see a good enough deal I'll go ahead so i can enjoy it this year and stop playing the waiting game. B6 is the way to go right? Don't care about curve or 3D. Can't afford the top of the line one. Guess nobody knows about 5.1 out via optical?

Thanks for the replies all. I think if i see a good enough deal I'll go ahead so i can enjoy it this year and stop playing the waiting game. B6 is the way to go right? Don't care about curve or 3D. Can't afford the top of the line one. Guess nobody knows about 5.1 out via optical?

B6 would be the way to go and yes, you get 5.1 out of the optical out. I use it for the Web OS apps. You're obviously not going to get Atmos, etc.

Prologue

What about HDMI 2.1? Wouldn't that be a likely update to 2017 if that ends up being a possibility?

NYR

For what you want, Yep.

Mookow

I'd like to know this as well. Got the update (finally) for HDR Game mode last night. So far I just lowered the Backlight to 50 because it seems way too bright by default. Most everything else looks good since they're all turned off.

They set the color to 65 and the color temp to c30. I'm not sure if that's bad or just different. HDR standard goes to 55 color, but even when I set it to 55 there's a noticeable difference. Not sure which is better, I don't have a calibration disc handy.

They set the color to 65 and the color temp to c30. I'm not sure if that's bad or just different. HDR standard goes to 55 color, but even when I set it to 55 there's a noticeable difference. Not sure which is better, I don't have a calibration disc handy.
It's not just the color setting alone as much as the color temperature. So matching it to HDR standard won't have an effect in that regard if you have a different color temperature selected for HDR Standard. Color temperature ranges in much smaller increments with the slider that they provide and the default of C30 looks to be much cooler than if you've accustomed yourself to "Warm 2" for example (more blue than yellow). I need to play with it some more to get a more pleasing picture as well but I haven't had the time. I've read w30 or w50 match Warm 2 a bit better. I'll give it a whirl tonight. I'm a Warm 2 guy all the way.;)

EDIT: I think someone might have asked earlier but dynamic contrast can still be enabled in HDR Game Mode by the by.

What benefits will HDMI 2.1 provide?
Higher bandwidth (48Gbs vs 18Gbs) which will include support for 4Kp120, 8Kp100/120, 10Kp100/120, support for variable refresh rates, support for increased color spaces, eARC (possible support for Atmos, etc.) and dynamic HDR Metadata are the big ones.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god, can't wait to get home this afternoon and get the B6 setup! 10 days to spare in case there are any defects with the set... phew! I was about to return the thing this weekend and pay out the ass for a B7 or E7. Crisis adverted. Thanks LG!

$2,500-$3,000 is quite the price increase over the $1,799 I paid for the 55" B6 a month ago. Probably has to do with the fact that LG has a monopoly in OLED and these sets are pricey to manufacture. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going for a loss during the holidays just to get them into people's living rooms for the word of mouth among friends/family. If I was you I'd honestly wait until the 2017 models start trickling out to make a purchase unless you need it now. No way they can maintain this price point unless they just release the top end 2017 model first and take months to push out their other sets.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking about in all honesty. I would like to get the new TV by around Super Bowl or a little after since I am sure that people are going to be returning them like crazy and maybe I can procure an open box special. The Best Buy employee stated that they are going to have a big TV sale coming up for LG, Sony and Samsung TV's for the next 3 weeks for Super Bowl, so he recommended waiting for that to see if there are any good deals since each of the big 3 will have weekly sales. I think I will go ahead and take a chance with the OLED for gaming and then movies, but I am wondering if I should settle for something like the Sony X930D(yeah, I heard about the input lag and we already have a Samsung 4K TV in the house) for much less money and get the OLED later when they drop in price more. I am also hearing rumors that the Sony OLED is going to cost anywhere from $2000-$6000. This is getting harder and harder.

watership

Something's wrong with the Canadian sites firmware download and it won't unzip. Tried a few browsers on this PC, then I use my work laptop via it's separate wireless card ISP. Same problem, corrupted ZIP or unexpected end to archive.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: Working now. File size is also different. Must have been a server side problem.

I noticed the c30 right away today on by B655 today after installing the firmware from USB. I changed it to w2 for right now, but I'm a warm picture kinda guy in the first place. c30 was far too blue for my taste. I also noticed that Super Resolution was on either Low or Medium as well by default. I turned that to OFF. Any reason to leave that on? Let everything else alone.

Talking about HDR Game mode obviously.

It's not just the color setting alone as much as the color temperature. So matching it to HDR standard won't have an effect in that regard if you have a different color temperature selected for HDR Standard. Color temperature ranges in much smaller increments with the slider that they provide and the default of C30 looks to be much cooler than if you've accustomed yourself to "Warm 2" for example (more blue than yellow). I need to play with it some more to get a more pleasing picture as well but I haven't had the time. I've read w30 or w50 match Warm 2 a bit better. I'll give it a whirl tonight. I'm a Warm 2 guy all the way.;)

EDIT: I think someone might have asked earlier but dynamic contrast can still be enabled in HDR Game Mode by the by.

Please post what you end up going with. I'd like to try it out.

Higher bandwidth (48Gbs vs 18Gbs) which will include support for 4Kp120, 8Kp100/120, 10Kp100/120, support for variable refresh rates, support for increased color spaces, eARC (possible support for Atmos, etc.) and dynamic HDR Metadata are the big ones.

Wow so looks like I will be upgrading in 2019 or 2020. I need my b6 to last at least 2 years.

n0razi

Wow so looks like I will be upgrading in 2019 or 2020. I need my b6 to last at least 2 years.

Im moving my 55 B6 to bedroom and getting a 65 (either E6 or a 2017 model) for living room... I dont think I can look at a normal LCD anymore

I noticed the c30 right away today on by B655 today after installing the firmware from USB. I changed it to w2 for right now, but I'm a warm picture kinda guy in the first place. c30 was far too blue for my taste. I also noticed that Super Resolution was on either Low or Medium as well by default. I turned that to OFF. Any reason to leave that on? Let everything else alone.

Talking about HDR Game mode obviously.

Please post what you end up going with. I'd like to try it out.

My settings for HDR Game Mode:

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 10
Color: 60 (Color Gamut set to Normal) If you want more saturation, set the color gamut to wide but I would drop color to 55.
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: W50 (if you want a trade off here, set to W20 with a warmer temp but with enough cool to not go overboard)

All processing or other picture options are off.

W50 was as close as I could come to Warm 2. That gave me a pretty similar picture to the HDR standard user setup. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

Color: 60 (Color Gamut set to Normal) If you want more saturation, set the color gamut to wide but I would drop color to 55.
Color Temperature: W50 (if you want a trade off here, set to W20 with a warmer temp but with enough cool to not go overboard)

W50 was as close as I could come to Warm 2. That gave me a pretty similar picture to the HDR standard user setup. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the setup advice. I was tinkering with it earlier and it still looked too "cool" so I'll definitely take it up to W20 and see from there. I forgot to mention that I'd set color gamut to Normal when I turned off Super Resolution. I think color is at 65 by default and sharpness at 20, so I'll try those adjustments as well.

velociraptor

Yes. The upside of ks8000 over this TV are price and the input lag. Though, LG was able to close the gap with the latest firmware update. Just 5-6ms difference.
Is the power cable of the B6 detachable? I read somewhere it's fixed to the panel. I have a wall mounted setup where I hide the wires by feeding them through the wall, but if it's fixed, there is no way I can hide the power cable.

Lexxism

Is the power cable of the B6 detachable? I read somewhere it's fixed to the panel. I have a wall mounted setup where I hide the wires by feeding them through the wall, but if it's fixed, there is no way I can hide the power cable.
No, it's not. But there's some kind of faceplate cover with a screw on it where the power cable is connected. I don't know what's that for.

Deepo

Color temperature W44 or W43 gave me the best grayscale results with my i1 Display Pro, at least on my set.

Top Bottom