• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

J-P

Neo Member
$2600 from east coast TVs a good deal for the E6 65? About to pull the trigger but worried price may drop as the new models roll out...

flozuki

For people in Germany: It seems Media Markt will sell the 55 B6 for 1999 Euros on January 10th (you should ask your local market if you probably can get it earlier (some markets did it). Aaaaand, even on January 10th you will get a 500 Euros Media Markt voucher on top (also on other TVs, forgot the name of their current event voucher but you will get it automatically).

paskowitz

$2600 from east coast TVs a good deal for the E6 65? About to pull the trigger but worried price may drop as the new models roll out...

I would be careful buying from them. They have a very tight return policy and some buyers have received bad product. If you are in the area, the risk is low, but if you are far away... then I would be cautious.

Deepo

At W43 what was the color temp at, 6500k?

Pretty sure it was, I can double check a bit later.

In other news, I switched out the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro for an expensive bastard of a cable. Using it with my C6, I've not have any issues switching between HDR and SDR at all. Tested about 25 times now. So it looks like the Pro cable is to blame, not the LG.

PeterGAF

Banned
So I'm looking into getting a B6 sometime this year since they fixed the input lag and I'm curious if any of you B6 owners notice any issues with image retention. Since I use my TV to mostly play video games and watch sports there are a lot of static hud and graphics that just sit there during an entire broadcast/play session and I'm wondering if that might cause some issues. I've heard that it usually goes away after a short period of time with OLED but have any of you noticed if?

holygeesus

Banned
So I'm looking into getting a B6 sometime this year since they fixed the input lag and I'm curious if any of you B6 owners notice any issues with image retention. Since I use my TV to mostly play video games and watch sports there are a lot of static hud and graphics that just sit there during an entire broadcast/play session and I'm wondering if that might cause some issues. I've heard that it usually goes away after a short period of time with OLED but have any of you noticed if?

I've noticed it in one game - The Witness in HDR mode. When the bright puzzles leave the screen, you see a brief outline for a few seconds, then it is gone. Could be related to brightness though as HDR mode defaults to Contrast 100/OLED 100

Mookow

My settings for HDR Game Mode:

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 10
Color: 60 (Color Gamut set to Normal) If you want more saturation, set the color gamut to wide but I would drop color to 55.
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: W50 (if you want a trade off here, set to W20 with a warmer temp but with enough cool to not go overboard)

All processing or other picture options are off.

W50 was as close as I could come to Warm 2. That gave me a pretty similar picture to the HDR standard user setup. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

I'm curious, why turn off wide color for HDR gaming, isn't that the point of HDR? What am I missing?

I'm curious, why turn off wide color for HDR gaming, isn't that the point of HDR? What am I missing?
Several of the establish Pro guys on AVS have noted the wide isn't accurate and oversaturates colors. Specifically for UHD films in HDR which the topic I was reading through but as noted, for gaming you can be more preferential and overly saturated colors may be to your liking hence my note.

There's still some debate there though. I have a Pro calibration scheduled for the end of the month so I'll post some info that comes out of that.

After playing around in the Witness in HDR mode, I definitely leave the gamut at standard now. Wide and especially extended looks over-saturated and makes some of the color differences actually harder to distinguish, thanks to the saturation/color-bleed.

"Normal" means that it uses the uses the correct colour gamut for SDR or HDR, Extended and Wide means that it takes that and saturates it.

So in practice, Normal is the correct option in all modes, but if you prefer the artificial saturation you can go nuts with the other options.

Mookow

"Normal" means that it uses the uses the correct colour gamut for SDR or HDR, Extended and Wide means that it takes that and saturates it.

So in practice, Normal is the correct option in all modes, but if you prefer the artificial saturation you can go nuts with the other options.

So normal still shows the extra color range for HDR gaming? I noticed Ratchet and Clank was really overblown with wide on, but I want to ma,e sure I'm reaping the benefits of HDR gaming over SDR!

So normal still shows the extra color range for HDR gaming? I noticed Ratchet and Clank was really overblown with wide on, but I want to ma,e sure I'm reaping the benefits of HDR gaming over SDR!

correct.

HDR uses a different color space.. BT.2020.. you want 'normal' gamut for the color space being used.

So for SDR BT.709 or HDR BT.2020, keep it on 'normal'.. unless you like the oversaturated look.

SOLDIER

Color: 60 (Color Gamut set to Normal) If you want more saturation, set the color gamut to wide but I would drop color to 55.
Color Temperature: W50 (if you want a trade off here, set to W20 with a warmer temp but with enough cool to not go overboard)

W50 was as close as I could come to Warm 2. That gave me a pretty similar picture to the HDR standard user setup. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

Wouldn't it be better to set the Color Temperature at 0, for default? I'm not sure why people seem to like Warm/Warm 2 so much, as it tends to look too yellow-ish to me. I'd prefer a medium look or whatever was intended.

Also, is there a particular game or two that makes for a good reference point? I've been playing too many games with drab colors, so something that makes it easier to judge the settings results by eye would help a lot.

Okada

Wouldn't it be better to set the Color Temperature at 0, for default? I'm not sure why people seem to like Warm/Warm 2 so much, as it tends to look too yellow-ish to me. I'd prefer a medium look or whatever was intended.

From what I understand, Warm 2 is closest to what was intended. Anything below Warm 1 is way too blue for me.

I struggle with Warm 2 as it's a bit too red for me though so I stick with Warm 1 and W30. I imagine a calibrated Warm 2 would look better than my Warm 1 though.

Also, is there a particular game or two that makes for a good reference point? I've been playing too many games with drab colors, so something that makes it easier to judge the settings results by eye would help a lot.
The warm answer has already been given. Warm 2 is closest to reference more often than not.

Racthet and Clank, The Witness and The Last of Us are a few colorful games (and The Last of Us for contrast/dark detail) to work from.

SonComet

Previously in this thread we had a discussion about color gamut being set to Normal vs Wide when playing HDR games (normal of course for non-HDR content). I was using Wide color gamut seemingly in error based on recommended settings from the AVForums review. After that discussion I switched to Normal color gamut and have not looked back.

A video was released 2 weeks ago by HDTVTest regarding this exact topic. They determined that when watching UHD blu-ray the correct color gamut per LG engineers and their own testing is Normal. However, in the comments section they indicate that for HDR enabled games that Wide color gamut should be selected. Here is the link to the video and you can see what they say in the comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGtBfcokfto.

I had just gotten used to how HDR games look in Normal color gamut and now it seems that Wide is possibly correct for gaming... I wish their was more of a definitive answer on this, haha.

NYR

Previously in this thread we had a discussion about color gamut being set to Normal vs Wide when playing HDR games (normal of course for non-HDR content). I was using Wide color gamut seemingly in error based on recommended settings from the AVForums review. After that discussion I switched to Normal color gamut and have not looked back.

A video was released 2 weeks ago by HDTVTest regarding this exact topic. They determined that when watching UHD blu-ray the correct color gamut per LG engineers and their own testing is Normal. However, in the comments section they indicate that for HDR enabled games that Wide color gamut should be selected. Here is the link to the video and you can see what they say in the comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGtBfcokfto.

I had just gotten used to how HDR games look in Normal color gamut and now it seems that Wide is possibly correct for gaming... I wish their was more of a definitive answer on this, haha.
Wide makes more sense considering HDR is all about better ability to display a wider and richer range of colours, much brighter whites, and much deeper, darker blacks. When using HDR content, I'm using wide and am happy with it, don't think anyone on here is going to convince me otherwise.

Sanctuary

Does the overall luminance just drastically drop in HDR mode? For normal gaming and video viewing in a dark room, anything higher than 40 OLED light is just too bright. Even with a daylight or lit room setting it seems like that would be blazingly bright.

Pretty sure it was, I can double check a bit later.

In other news, I switched out the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro for an expensive bastard of a cable. Using it with my C6, I've not have any issues switching between HDR and SDR at all. Tested about 25 times now. So it looks like the Pro cable is to blame, not the LG.

Expensive bastard of a cable.

Wide makes more sense considering HDR is all about better ability to display a wider and richer range of colours, much brighter whites, and much deeper, darker blacks. When using HDR content, I'm using wide and am happy with it, don't think anyone on here is going to convince me otherwise.

It actually oversaturates certain colors, and it especially pushes changes to both red and green. However, without having my set professionally calibrated, it actually makes the colors look more accurate (saturation aside) in standard definition. I noticed immediately while watching certain 1080p movies that skin tones were way off (especially in The Force Awakens). Changing it to wide actually fixed the issue, although it also made reds and greens "pop" more, but not in an overbearing way. Maz is not supposed to look like a desaturated beet. She's a yellowish orange, not beet red.

Games and UHD Games will both be outputting colours in Rec 2020, so the same colour gamut should be used for both (Normal). Games available today won't be using the full range of 2020 because they weren't mastered for it, but games like GT Sport will.

Does the overall luminance just drastically drop in HDR mode? For normal gaming and video viewing in a dark room, anything higher than 40 OLED light is just too bright. Even with a daylight or lit room setting it seems like that would be blazingly bright.

Expensive bastard of a cable.

It actually oversaturates certain colors, and it especially pushes changes to both red and green. However, without having my set professionally calibrated, it actually makes the colors look more accurate (saturation aside) in standard definition. I noticed immediately while watching certain 1080p movies that skin tones were way off (especially in The Force Awakens). Changing it to wide actually fixed the issue, although it also made reds and greens "pop" more, but not in an overbearing way. Maz is not supposed to look like a desaturated beet. She's a yellowish orange, not beet red.

SDR content is only made for a very short range, and can't differentiate between a white surface or a bright white one. By bumping OLED Light to 100, pure white surfaces will be as bright as the panel can make them, regardless of its a shirt or a star.

HDR content can say something is brighter than "white", so you'll get the normal SDR brightness for the parts that are supposed to be like that, and brighter where the content says it should be brighter.

hivycox

You can only use the gift cards for specific types of products. Game consoles are not among them I'm afraid.

I bought one though, now LG needs to release the HDR update here.

that's not true. You can use them for everything except for such specific things as downloads, e-books, books and a few supply articles.
To get them you must buy specific products like TV's and and kitchen wares.

Sam Bishop

Neo Member

This is exactly who I got mine through, and that price is a bait and switch. They'll call to confirm the order, then try relentlessly to upsell you. First, that's not the 2016 model with 10bit depth, which they gave me "at cost" for about $3K. Then they'll try to upsell white glove service, a mounting bracket, etc. etc. In the end, I think it was about a month from when I first placed the order online and when it finally arrived. Oh, and since I used my Amex for refund/insurance reasons, they transferred me to a "sister store," so I couldn't track the package until it had gone to the shipper, which updated extremely slowly (in their defense, I'm in San Francisco and it was shipping form Jersey).

Despite the overwhelming feeling that I got ripped off, the TV arrived in perfect working condition, and it's absolutely the best TV I've ever owned, for about $2K off MSRP. I can't recommend the TV enough, though I'm a little less eager to recommend those guys. If you live across the country, pay with Amex, or have a weak stomach for a guy with a thick east coast accent trying to railroad you into adding stuff to your order, you might want to eat the cost and get it somewhere more reputable. It was all fine in the end, and a great deal, but there's an inescapable air of skeeviness about them, and I don't know that I'll do it again.

J-P

Neo Member
Yeah after some more research I decided against buying from them and got a b6 from Cleveland plasma for a great price.

EekTheKat

HDR game mode came up for the G6P in the asia (HK) region. LG China still wouldn't push it in their live update but I loaded it via USB (HK + China uses the same region firmware so it was pretty straightforward).

HDR game mode is pretty basic (as expected), as far as I can tell there is no grayscale adjustment in this mode, just a handful of exposed settings in addition to basic contrast/brightness/etc.

I came to the opposite conclusion of the previous thread I think, dynamic contrast sort of really blew out the whole scene somewhat, with certain objects unnaturally highlighted. Lighting looked dramatically off in Uncharted Coop mode. I see more edges/details with it on, but at the cost of the rest of the picture looking washed out. Of note this is for games only on a PS4 Pro - settings I suspect may be different for 4k HDR media.

skin tones seem better with it off as well (NBA 2k tested).

I'm still playing with settings right now, but I'm pretty happy with it looking not like it's on Vivid mode.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just saw 4.30.95 for EU C6v on lg website. What does it changes since 30.90? Hdcp fix ?

Geneijin

Any way to update B6 early in the UK or are we stuck waiting for the new firmware to appear on the website?
I'm not from the UK but the US, and I haven't even gotten the latest firmware for the C6P automatically available. I would have to manually install 4.30.95 firmware update downloaded from LG's support page if I wanted it now.

holygeesus

Banned
This is the only thing stopping me from buying a B6 right now.

Why would it stop you? EU sets always seem to get the US firmware a couple of weeks later. It's not as if LG won't release it. It would probably be out before your TV arrives. I predict monstrous prices for the new range, especially if you are in the UK.

velociraptor

No, it's not. But there's some kind of faceplate cover with a screw on it where the power cable is connected. I don't know what's that for.

So it's fixed? WTH LG.

The UK power plug is really big and bulky. Impossible for me to feed the wire in this tube I put inside the wall to hide wires.

Adam M

It increases lag but adds 4:4:4 chroma.

I will say this, even though my Leo bodnar was showing the same numbers for PC mode with game picture mode and game mode outside of PC mode, game mode definitely felt faster.

I would sacrifice 4:4:4 for lower lag imho unless I was using a PC on the tv.

Do you even need 4:4:4 for gaming? I'm not sure that you need that, even for text heavy games. If you pause your game and move really close to the screen then yes you can see the color loss but during gameplay and sitting at the normal distance I don't know.
But if you wanna browse Neogaf then you need chroma 4:4:4 :)

Ghekkus

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on either a 65'' B6P or C6P.

Would anyone who has the 65'' version of either of these models be able to measure the stand at its longest length and width points? I'm not sure if the stands are different sizes since one is curved but I would like to get both models measurements if possible just to be safe.

I'm wanting to buy a swivel so I can turn it depending on where I'm sitting in the room and just want to make sure it will fit.

Thanks in advance! :D

holygeesus

Banned
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on either a 65'' B6P or C6P.

Would anyone who has the 65'' version of either of these models be able to measure the stand at its longest length and width points? I'm not sure if the stands are different sizes since one is curved but I would like to get both models measurements if possible just to be safe.

I'm wanting to buy a swivel so I can turn it depending on where I'm sitting in the room and just want to make sure it will fit.

Thanks in advance! :D

From LG site specs

B6 65" Size W/O Carton, With Stand 1451x882x225
C6 65" Size W/O Carton, With Stand 1446x883x237

I'm guessing the curve is why the C6 is slightly deeper.

Ghekkus

That's the whole TV though right? I just need the stand itself to make sure it will sit on something like this.

Is there any way to use normal color gamut in sdr game mode? And if not, do any of you have a recommended setting for wide? 50 seems way too saturated in the reds.

I lower color to 46, and use W40 for temperature. Not perfect, but less garish for sure.

Thanks. I'll give 46 a try. I don't mind the warmest color temperature, though. This TV seems pretty good about not adding too much yellow at the warmest settings.

SumGamer

I'm planning to get 55B6T mostly for gaming, anyone here has that? Is it a good buy? I quite like OLED display in person.

Top Bottom