• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

I hope we get Tales from the Borderlands EP5 before that. I need some episodic gaming on my life.

I haven't felt like playing Game of Thrones, I should have a couple of episodes waiting, I think I play them after LiS and Borderlands are finished. Borderlands has been lighter and funnier and LiS just so much better.

Jyrii

Banned
Yeah I have avoided buying GoT. Probably gonna get it on winter Steam sales though.

Just bought Steins;Gate, though it's a visual novel.

I have not touched Telltale since The Wolf Among Us, but...

King's Quest is fantastic. I love that. (one episode in)
Blues and Bullets has its moments (one episode in)
Dreamfall Chapters definitely has a ton of highs, and goes places (three episodes)
Missing: An Interactive Thriller is hilarious in all the wrong ways (one episode in)

DavidDesu

I absolutely love this game. Looking forward to its conclusion but it will be sad knowing it's all over... It's made me think that we really need more games like this. For me it's like a good tv show. I got into it, got to play it in instalments spread out over time, and it worked so well as a narrative experience as well as gameplay wise too. I just want more games designed in much the same way this has been. There's not enough. The Telltale games make me wary due to lots of complaints about glitchyness etc.

Game studios should be pumping out clever creative games like this far more often. People who have played and loved this, which seems like a decent number of people, will have nothing to go to once this is over. That's like finishing the new season of a The Walking Dead on tv and realising Game of Thrones isn't being made anymore and there's nothing to look forward to anymore! :O Haha.

I demand more.

Reedirect

Two weeks from right now many of should be playing Episode 5

Really excited for it! Thankfully Destiny's been keeping me real busy, so the delay didn't hurt that much in the end. I still plan to replay all four episodes before the finale... which makes me think I should probably get to it rather sooner than later.

I hope they do a season 2, even if they cant do it with the same characters, make arcadia bay like twin peaks/silent hill, tell a bunch of stories.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't know why I'm a little afraid this might not end up delivering. I really want it to, but I have this crushing feeling that not all will be happy. Maybe it's just all the disappointments lately...or maybe I'm just expecting the best of the best.

Grisby

If they go with a second season then I hope, besides the new cast, that there are some new powers or something as well.

A-V-B

So I was considering getting this game, would you all recommend waiting until Ep 5 comes out or try to catch up before it comes out?

Since it comes out this month: wait. These sorts of games are always best when you can get utterly bowled over in one or two sittings.

So I was considering getting this game, would you all recommend waiting until Ep 5 comes out or try to catch up before it comes out?

My opinion has always been that binging this game is the worst possible thing anyone could ever do. I have no idea how you should play it, but really try to space it out a bit. A few days between episodes would be ideal.

Since it comes out this month: wait. These sorts of games are always best when you can get utterly bowled over in one or two sittings.

People waiting to binge this game once episode 5 releases are going to be the most vocal complainers come the end of October. This game is fantastic. but it does not hold up to long play sessions. I am guessing a full playthrough of the game will be around 16-18 hours, and tackling that over two or three days just seems awful to me.

Persona7

Banned

Play it now so you can avoid spoilers!!!! But definitely space it out. You have 15 days until the final episode comes out.

Or just play a episode a week or something.

this does not hold true for life is strange. really, don't do this--the tension built up by the wait between episodes is part of what makes the payoff when the episode does come so great.

Or at least you should quit the game and wait for the next day before continuing to the next chapter. I know I partly ruined The Walking Dead games by not doing that. The cliffhangers at the end of every chapter just don't work as well if you can just continue from there immediately, and that would have made some of the pacing issues in TWD less glaring.

Famassu

Played the first episode at launch and bought the season pass a couple of weeks ago. Played episodes 2 & 3 right away, but am saving 4 for when the fifth episode releases. That ending to Epi 3, though. Holy mindfuck, what a twist! Didn't think they would go that far. Interested to see if all the changes stick or if we have to go back & undo the changes for whatever reason.

Whenever this thread gets bumped and it is new players talking about their current playthrough it makes me feel a bit happy, it's awesome that there are constantly new players, even in between episode releases.

Fasty

Finally caught up to the latest season after starting episode one a few weeks ago. This game is so great. I was kicking myself when
I didn't write down that number circled in red to use as the PIN for the darkroom
. Thankfully there was another way to solve it!

Also, a heads up for anyone with a 3D TV/monitor and NVidia 3DVision, this game looks SPECTACULAR in 3D, and really does make you feel like you're walking around in Arcadia Bay making the whole game even more intense. Just make sure you use the Helix 3DVision fix.

Finally caught up to the latest season after starting episode one a few weeks ago. This game is so great. I was kicking myself when
I didn't write down that number circled in red to use as the PIN for the darkroom
. Thankfully there was another way to solve it! .

Actually the game wrote it down for you. You can revisit every photo or leaflet etc. you have viewed from the diary thingie you have.

Montresor

I disagree with anyone saying "the wait between the episodes enhanced the payoff and tension".

I find this to be bad advice - it doesn't apply to everyone. I played episode 1 back in December, then waited and waited and finally in August replayed episode 1 and went through 2-4 in a span of a week. I loved it. And at the same time I really regret it. It would've been way better to just wait a bit longer for episode 5 to come out.

The wait between episodes is ridiculous.

aravuus

I disagree with anyone saying "the wait between the episodes enhanced the payoff and tension".

I find this to be bad advice - it doesn't apply to everyone. I played episode 1 back in December, then waited and waited and finally in August replayed episode 1 and went through 2-4 in a span of a week. I loved it. And at the same time I really regret it. It would've been way better to just wait a bit longer for episode 5 to come out.

The wait between episodes is ridiculous.

Yeah, it's a personal thing. I hate waiting for new episodes and getting told I would have enjoyed it more if I had played it like others did was kinda annoying.

Waiting weeks/months for a new episode doesn't increase the tension for, it does the opposite, I start losing all interest.

Bluth54

The wait for episode 5 has been hard for me, but mostly because I bought LiS about a week or two before episode 4 came out so I blew through all the episodes really fast.

I'm currently replaying the game from start to help with the wait. I'm already at the fourth chapter. Loving this even more on each playthrough as the characters grow even more familiar.

jrush64

Banned
This game floored me when I first played it. But the wait for the episodes kind of soured me so I haven't been into it since Episode 3.

I havent played Episode 4 yet as I was waiting for it to finish. Now that Episode 5 is coming out I can finally get into it.

But yesterday I did play Episode 1 just a little bit and I remembered how much I loved the game.

Reedirect

Personally, I feel that bingeplaying is generally overrated, not only in the case of LiS, but since the finale comes out in only two weeks, it doesn't really matter now, right? Everyone who starts to play the game right now will have the option to play the episodes in a short amount of time. Whether or not that suits you is your business.

speedomodel

Just started this. Got the season pass on sale, so finally giving it a go.

First thought:

WHO THE FUCK WROTE THIS DIALOGUE?! They need to...I dunno, maybe TALK to someone under the age of 30

Venom Fox

Banned

First thought:

WHO THE FUCK WROTE THIS DIALOGUE?! They need to...I dunno, maybe TALK to someone under the age of 30
I'll have to disagree with you on that. I've played and completed Episodes 1, 2, 3 & 4 and found the 99% to be spot on. Sure there's a few things that the characters say that are cringe worthy but, like I said 99% of it for me is good.

After MGSV was a let down, LIS is my GOTY.

Edit: What he said above...

Montresor

Also, yes, I'm 29 (under the age of 30) and it's true I don't speak like the people in Life Is Strange.

But Life Is Strange's main characters are high school teenagers between the ages 15-18. Of course they are going to talk differently. I don't presume to know what those teenagers talk like today, but I love it anyway.

Give me "hella", "kek", "super cereal", and "sad face" dialogue all day.

speedomodel

My reaction to your reaction is "top kek".
I have no idea what this means. Am I out of touch?
I'll have to disagree with you on that. I've played and completed Episodes 1, 2, 3 & 4 and found the 99% to be spot on. Sure there's a few things that the characters say that are cringe worthy but, like I said 99% of it for me is good.

After MGSV was a let down, LIS is my GOTY.

Edit: What he said above...

I mean, I'm through episode one and half way through two and I feel like the writer just didn't know how kids talk. I dunno, I've never heard anyone talk this way...ever. Just the slang feels so out of touch with reality.

Game is still excellent, will be in my top 10 I feel but yeah, dialogue just stumbles so often I feel...

aravuus

Yeah lol, I'm having incredibly hard time believing this is how American teenagers talk nowadays.

I would imagine the groan-worthy dialogue was one of the main reasons I couldn't really connect with the characters at all.

First thought:

That was my standout impression from playing the demo too. Just skin-crawlingly bad dialogue. I'm still going to buy the game at some point this year though, probably when all the episodes are out and there's a sale on soon after.

speedomodel

Also, yes, I'm 29 (under the age of 30) and it's true I don't speak like the people in Life Is Strange.

But Life Is Strange's main characters are high school teenagers between the ages 15-18. Of course they are going to talk differently. I don't presume to know what those teenagers talk like today, but I love it anyway.

Give me "hella", "kek", "super cereal", and "sad face" dialogue all day.
I have three brothers (yes three) in the age range of the game's characters. I have never heard one of those words uttered from their mouths or the mouths of friends.

I also worked in retail for 4 years and never heard the words uttered. Severely out of touch writing I'd say..
That was my standout impression from playing the demo too. Just skin-crawlingly bad dialogue. I'm still going to buy the game at some point this year though, probably when all the episodes are out and there's a sale on soon after.
THANK YOU! But definitely, get it dialogue is really the only weak spot I've found so far..

I have three brothers (yes three) in the age range of the game's characters. I have never heard one of those words uttered from their mouths or the mouths of friends.

I also worked in retail for 4 years and never heard the words uttered. Severely out of touch writing I'd say..

THANK YOU! But definitely, get it dialogue is really the only weak spot I've found so far..

Realize that a 15 year old in New England speaks crazy different from a 15 year old in Georgia, speaks crazy different from a 15 year old in Kentucky, speaks crazy different from a 15 year old in Utah, speaks crazy...

Do I need to go on?

I live near St. Louis and I have high school age cousins that speak pretty close to this.

"kek" is Horde for "lol" when heard by an Alliance toon.

WoW, c.2005.

IIRC kek is also Korean for lol, which is why Blizzard put it in WoW to begin with.

Reedirect

Especially Episode 1 really unloads some questionable, often terrible dialogue on you, but it gets considerably better in later episodes. EP3 and 4 don't feel like the same game from this standpoint.

Obviously, they announced the date weeks ago, but it seems like Dontnod are doubling down and committing to October 20 as the finale's release date, previously just stating it was aiming for then.

They've just gone live with what seems like the cover (of sorts) for Episode 5 as a FB banner.

12118970_448961688628828_2397676789114208448_n.png

How perfect, on my birthday too, what a treat! I'm nervous with this episode though. A lot needs to be explained and they have 1 episode to do it. Unless they go into season 2.

Top Bottom