• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Esura

Banned
phoca_thumb_l_13-rygdm2c5i.jpg

Damn...he looks just like that asshole in Lost.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait what? was that last bit in an XIII-2 fragment? x_x I don't remember that, lol.
Most of it was in the Fragments Before prequel novel, and in the fragment list (probably one of the dumb quiz ones).

Rygdea is an adult and was just a head swap so he didn't get a lot of emphasis in the story, so he ended up being kind of a footnote in the end. Hope's father funded and supported the Academy, so if you wanted to, discounting how Hope probably worked his way through school through motivation and maybe was kind of smart, you could say that he got his current position via nepotism. Maybe.

Fake Edit: Here

Figures of Note: Rygdea

Captain Rygdea is a former Cocoon soldier. Following the catastrophe, he played a central role in running the provisional government.

Rygdea crushed the budding resurgence of the former administration by revealing the Sanctum's manipulation by the fal'Cie, and their subsequent slaughter of innocent civilians during the Purge.

He lent his support to the Academy scientists who sought to promote 'human independence,' and encouraged the shift in authority from the government to this new institute.

Figures of Note: Bartholomew Estheim

Bartholomew Estheim was originally an economist for a Sanctum-affiliated institute. Following the catastrophe, the newly formed provisional government employed him as a financial advisor, where he was instrumental in the founding of the Academy.

He is the father of Hope Estheim, the director of the New Cocoon Project.

They put most of the important stuff and worldbuilding stuff in the Datalog/Fragments Area yet again. I really dislike that. At least for FFXII and FFVIII's "datalogs", they ended up making it supplemental information as opposed to crucial worldbuilding info like it is in FF13.

Damn...he looks just like that asshole in Lost.
I don't watch TV outside of news, some new anime, and reruns/Comedy Network/Teletoon so I have noooo idea, lol.

Zoe

They put most of the important stuff and worldbuilding stuff in the Datalog/Fragments Area yet again. I really dislike that. At least for FFXII and FFVIII's "datalogs", they ended up making it supplemental information as opposed to crucial worldbuilding info like it is in FF13.

Is it really so crucial to know who founded the Academy?

Stark

Banned
Not really. Stuff is boring. I played Love Plus with a translation patch. Never again.

You! are a disappointment, lol. :(

Most of it was in the Fragments Before prequel novel, and in the fragment list (probably one of the dumb quiz ones).

Rygdea is an adult and was just a head swap so he didn't get a lot of emphasis in the story, so he ended up being kind of a footnote in the end. Hope's father funded and supported the Academy, so if you wanted to, discounting how Hope probably worked his way through school through motivation and maybe was kind of smart, you could say that he got his current position via nepotism. Maybe.

Fake Edit: Here

Thank you! Hm, I'm surprised I missed this. I would've liked to know this in the cutscenes, yeah.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^^Alright, I can see it. :lol

Is it really so crucial to know who founded the Academy?
It is to me. Especially since it relates to characters from the previous games, and it would have been an excellent way to introduce the Academy at the beginning of the game.

Compare with FFX-2 when we were originally introduced to the founders of the Youth League and the Machine Faction. Several questions were answered then: why were these groups founded? What is their general platform? What is their motivation for existing or leading Spira? How will they progress to their ends? FFX-2 did post-crisis world-building quite right in my mind in comparison to XIII-2, and possibly TAY.

As for FFXIII's Academy... Where did this government come from? Why is the Academy so important outside of providing fuel and learning ancient histories? What happened to the society who came down on Pulse between the timeframe of Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2, and why are societies--outside of terrorist plots (which got relegated to a mention in passing during a sidequest)--so regulated without direct rule or public policies? Right after Final Fantasy XIII, were things thrown into chaos? Were people affected by that? They would have been lost lambs without the fal'Cie nurturing them, and that would have not been good for building communities, so I would have liked to know more about that. It would be interesting to note who founded the Academy because it involves two NPC characters, however small their roles were, from the previous game, and may have given them more of the spotlight in terms of competent character building/usage as a plot prop/character writing.

Who are the people in charge of New Bodhum or any other town in the game (the excavation sites the game had you visit multiple times don't really count to me)? Is the Academy in charge of everything given that they're the de facto government on Pulse? Why did the Academy become the world's government, the world's educational institution, the world's research institution, the world's social policy institution, etc? Isn't anyone against their policies at all outside of the terrorist group? When I saw Academia, it made me think of the Academy as an institution that makes a society prosperous, but it never really went in-depth of how they did that outside of education, and finding and providing a power source to the public.

So when you think about it, the Academy is kind of like Shinra, only... good? I guess? Hope is supposed to be like a Rufus, only he rules with (???) rather than controlling people with fear?

Er, that was quite a tangent, but mostly I like knowing these types of things because it lays a foundation for the world that I'm told that I'm supposed to be saving. It helps me to empathize with the people of the world more as a result. I like thinking micro than macro, I guess. >.>

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Rydea also did some stuff in the FFXIII prequel novel. I think he had a chapter devoted to how he was asked my Cid to go find Fang or something like that. Can't really remember since I read the translation so long ago. They really should have just gone the non convulted way and had FFXIII-2 be about rebuilding civilisation and faction wars like FFX-2 did. At least Rydea could have been a party member. But nope...They had to go PARADOXES.

World building stuff

Yeah i do agree with you. There's very little holding the world of FFXIII together. Even with the datalog everything just feels very loosely connected. Are they actually any other settlements like Neo Bodum? What is the rest of the world like beyond Academia (whoch wasn't even built yet until sometime later) and Neo Bodum after the fall? It came across as a poorly built and unbelievable world when you conveniently have only one single government, republic or country after a few hundred years. One would expect different countries to have sprung up even in the first century. All we hear is that some people still choose to live on Cocoon (I think?) and that shadow group that was trying to ruin Academia and Hope. Why not form their own government? Why didn't the people who didn't want to move down to Pulse form their own country?

Posting here in hope that someone will know .

Hmm a question. Did anyone tried playing the NTSC FF13-2 on asia xbox360?

Play Asia list it as compatible but i cannot see any others sources.
I ordered the game but have not pay via pay pal yet.

http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fanta...n-70-4581.html( not a affiliate link)

lol new ff news get to me ..........

Or should i wait till i buy a new ps3 and play the us version on that instead?

How much is the ps3 edition better this time? Since they are both on one disk, only video compression on xbox 360.

Also , outside of the one free DLC , it lightling dlc the only one worth buying?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
edit: nevermind.

Mario007

From the interview it seems like Serah will be back too. Damn it Toriyama, I can tolerate Lightning but why do you insist on Serah, and even have her 'trying to save everyone'?

Also I love how Kitase straight out says that this is a spin-off and not a real FF game. I'm guessing Wada wouldn't greenlight another proper FF game so Toriyama had to settle for this spin-off. Kinda explains why he wasn't sure of the platform as well.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I find it funny that probably Lightning is the last one waking up from her crystal. Hope, Sazh and everyone else probably kept living for centuries in Novus Partus. Then one day Light wakes up... lol. Plus, what are the chances for she to be considered a god by common people? Afterall she sit centuries in Etro's throne in crystal form. Sure some fanatic will exist in this new world.

Stark

Banned
From the interview it seems like Serah will be back too. Damn it Toriyama, I can tolerate Lightning but why do you insist on Serah, and even have her 'trying to save everyone'?

It doesn't sound like Serah has returned. I don't think that's supposed to be taken so literally.

I find it funny that probably Lightning is the last one waking up from her crystal. Hope, Sazh and everyone else probably kept living for centuries in Novus Partus. Then one day Light wakes up... lol. Plus, what are the chances for she to be considered a god by common people? Afterall she sit centuries in Etro's throne in crystal form. Sure some fanatic will exist in this new world.

She could be, but I actually think she'll be considered a heretic more so of some sort because she worships or is very close to Etro if we go by the mythologies. At least in Luxerion.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I read this headline on IGN and it made me so happy.

"Lighting Returns will be the last of the Final Fantasy XIII saga"

Dambrosi

Banned
So, from the gameplay descriptions at least, this sounds to me like some sort of unholy mashup of Majora's Mask (time limit, rewinding/advancing time through quests) and Dark Souls (pseudo-realtime action-based battles with evasion and a stamina/ATB bar limiting players' actions)? But without any of the customizability, awesome architecture and design, replay value, fantastic world-building or harsh trial-and-error difficulty, no doubt?
Toriyama ain't no FROM, I think we can all agree on that

Any word on whether battles will finally take place on the field, or if they're traditional FF-style "pocket dimension" battles? Could make all the difference.

As for Lightning, I just don't see the appeal. She looks and acts like a female Cloud to meeeeeOOOOOOOOOHH. Seems the nerd-crush with FFVII continues...

Shinta

Banned
Didn't the paradox that allowed her to live occur during the Purge? Wouldn't it have had to be resolved in that time period then?

They didn't resolve all of the paradoxes. There's still the one that took Lightning away in the first place.

They can correct some future events that alter the past. It's not explicitly stated which paradox corrections changed Lightning's alteration, and Alyssa's, or if Alyssa is dead. But Alyssa's death is heavily foreshadowed for the entire game, so it really wouldn't surprise me.

Lightning's disappearance isn't actually a paradox. That's the real event that happened. The paradox was everyone believing she died on Cocoon in the first game. Again, not really spelled out what the paradox correction in the future is for that event. They just kind of loosely say at the end that all the paradoxes are fixed, all the gates are closed, and time travel is now done (right before Chaos unleashes and totally destroys time itself, so who knows what that does).

And if people question the change the future changes the past thing, it's based on a self-correcting single timeline theory. In a single timeline, people have theorized that changing the future would cause the past to reorganize itself to create a set of events that would logically lead up to the changed future. I think it's used in physics in theories saying that paradoxes are impossible. They just kind of tweaked it in this game as the way that paradoxes are eventually corrected, and caused.

One would expect different countries to have sprung up even in the first century. All we hear is that some people still choose to live on Cocoon (I think?) and that shadow group that was trying to ruin Academia and Hope. Why not form their own government? Why didn't the people who didn't want to move down to Pulse form their own country?

I think it's because they've been coddled their entire lives. Cocoon is definitely a society built for the collective, not the individual (kind of like Japan in some social ways). The people did not run power plants, grow their own food, design cities, or do much of anything. They had their security group, military, and some engineers and scientists, but most core functions were run by the fal'cie. I think people had a much stronger tendency to stick together than normal, and to try to find someone who would do things for them.

The Academy ended up rapidly promoting young people based on a strict meritocracy. It almost makes you think the older generation was still too tied down to the dependency model the fal'cie set up. Everyone else wanted a powerful guiding hand like the fal'cie, or the Academy and fell in line once it was in place.

I agree with your general point though, that when you think about, they've barely even scratched the surface of the game world. They could just keep going and going. There's so many layers in the world/history/mythology/societies that it's seemingly impossible to cram it all even into 3 games. One thing I do enjoy about this series though is that in the sequels, instead of just focusing on answering the questions we still have from the previous games, they always toss in just as many new questions in the new game. Keeps things interesting.

It doesn't sound like Serah has returned. I don't think that's supposed to be taken so literally.

99% everybody from FF13 and FF13-2 will return in some way:

- in-game (Hope is already confirmed)
- in cutscene (ie. Noel visiting Serah's tomb)
- in datalog (mention only)

Chaos rules, nobody ages so they are all there in the status they were left at the end of FF13-2.

CorvoSol

Not attractive enough.

But he was the only member of the Sanctum who wasn't a complete tool!

Fimbulvetr, why don't you love me?

I hope we get this one!

MdmhF.jpg

Sazh is certainly the best character out of the playables. There's no question about that, and his English voice actor did an extremely good job with him in making his lines as earnest and sincere as possible.

Rygdea, though, looks like he stepped outta FF12. Plus he gets stuff done like
confronting and killing Cid, exposing the crap the Sanctum did, and had a hand in starting up Academia with Hope's father.
Like a boss.

phoca_thumb_l_13-rygdm2c5i.jpg

Why couldn't he be playable? :(

Because, like Yaag, he was too cool for our Sinful Party.

Cid just ain't Cid unless he's some kind of mechanic/scientist.

And he definitely should not be a pretty boy, XIII dropped the ball.

Shinta

Banned
Cid just ain't Cid unless he's some kind of mechanic/scientist.

And he definitely should not be a pretty boy, XIII dropped the ball.

I agree. XIII's Cid was weird, and I prefer when he's similar to Cid in XI, building airships or something and growing a beard. But if you think about it, Cocoon didn't really have any independent, inventor, genius mechanics. They were subservient to the fal'cie. Maybe that's what threw them off this time? They probably could have fit a character like that in somewhere, but traditional Cid would fit much better in XIII-2
(kind of what Hope becomes in the end)

SkylineRKR

The world of the XIII saga is the most shitty world ever. In XIII we only saw corridors and hardly any life. In XIII-2 we only saw small snippets of places in all kinds of different eras. And the new game seems to get a completely new playground. I really did not care about Cocoon, Pulse or whatever. Its not that I hated the games, but the world... I couldn't give a shit.

As for the conclusion, I think everyone will return and be happy. Can even imagine a Snow and Serah wedding scene etc. As for Noel, he might cease to exist for some little drama. He's from a future in which the world is being destroyed after all.

I agree. XIII's Cid was weird, and I prefer when he's similar to Cid in XI, building airships or something and growing a beard. But if you think about it, Cocoon didn't really have any independent, inventor, genius mechanics. They were subservient to the fal'cie. Maybe that's what threw them off this time? They probably could have fit a character like that in somewhere, but traditional Cid would fit much better in XIII-2

In LR Hope grows a beard and changes his name to Cid.

BELIEVE.

Esura

Banned

However, Cid in XIII has an airship, something most Cids have.

B.K.

XIII had a Cid? I can't remember him or anyone else who wasn't a player character. Was that guy with the long hair that everyone's talking about from XIII? I don't remember him either.

Esura

Banned
XIII had a Cid? I can't remember him or anyone else who wasn't a player character. Was that guy with the long hair that everyone's talking about from XIII? I don't remember him either.

Yeah...he was a boss too (in more ways than one). He was probably one of the more important NPCs.

But he isn't the long hair dude.

Carbonox

Cid turned in to a monster resembling a Tyrant from Resident Evil, didn't he?

I think I need to play through XIII again at some point. So much I forget about it.

Beth Cyra

Yeah. He was pretty much Roy Mustang from FMA. Had the look and even the snap that Roy loves to use.

Really weird, but I loved him none the less. Also hate the idea that Cid "SHould have/has to be." I like them to be unique and to me it would only make it worse if they all acted/looked similar like some people in this thread want.

Top Bottom