• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

lightning_returns_finmgj7t.jpg

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: 2GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 1500 MB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® 8800GT / ATI Radeon™ HD 4770 VRAM 512MB or later
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 22 GB available space
Sound Card: Sound card compatible with DirectX® 9.0c
Additional Notes:
*Steam Cloud needs to be active in order to start this game.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad (2.66 GHz)/ AMD Phenom™ II X4 (2.8 GHz) processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX™ 460/ ATI Radeon™ HD 5770
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 22 GB available space
Sound Card: Sound card compatible with DirectX® 9.0c
Additional Notes:
*Maximum supported frame rate: 60fps
*Graphic Options
*A game controller using Xinput is recomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required )
Lightning Returns is the concluding chapter of the Final Fantasy XIII saga and series heroine Lightning's final battle. The grand finale of the trilogy brings a world reborn as well as free character customization and stunning action based battles.

The world is sinking into a sea of chaos, and in thirteen days, nothing will remain.
Though the planet is doomed, there is still hope for those who call it home.
After centuries in crystal stasis, a hero has awoken—a legendary warrior on a god-given mission to save the souls of mankind. Her name: Lightning.
Blessed with incredible strength and an arsenal of new weapons, she has everything she needs for the coming battle. Everything except time. And now she must make an impossible choice...

CAST
lrcastot5wuy0.jpg

WORLD

Nova Chrysalia - A world diseased by Chaos

Made up of four regions, a monorail provides transportation for travel throughout this realm. Lightning, the protagonist, begins her final adventure in this plague-ridden land devoid of hope. However, her journey won’t be long, as the Chaos has bled through the soil, drawing near the world’s end.

Luxerion.jpg
340f2919182564fabb2bec9a307ac4a1.jpg
lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-230.jpg
5214b365_Lightning-Returns-Wildlands-Gamescom.jpg

Luxerion - Divine city of light
The metropolis is ruled by the Order, an organization devout to their god, Bhunivelze. The residents spend their days absorbing the teachings of this sacred deity. Metal is a common material found in the various structures of this gothically tinged city. Traveling bags and other ornaments are scattered around, depicting a charming yet surreal atmosphere. As the day draws to an end, the city’s serenity is no more. Monsters and other creatures of the night prowl the area, leaving Lightning to fend for her life.

The Dead Dunes - This region is covered with endless desert sands as far as the eye can see. Within it can be found the shanties which form a base for treasure hunters seeking their fortune in the arid wilderness, as well as ancient ruins said to conceal a divine treasure.
Many monsters with a character unique to the area appear in this region, such as the sand swimming fiends of the open desert and the undead horrors that lurk within the ruins.

Yusnaan, the City of Revelry - The city is alive with lights and fireworks, and the people wander the streets as if in a dream.
Only a short time remains before the world ends, but the city is alive with banquets and festivities, the people free to indulge their every desire. Snow the Patron rules over it all and maintains the peace.

The Wildlands – The Untamed Wilderness contain remnants of the sprawling natural wilderness that once existed in Gran Pulse. Beasts run free here, and the people live a hardy life of self sufficiency. Behind the lush and bountiful appearance of this region however, the spread of Chaos is unusually aggressive here.

GAMEPLAY

Customize Lightning : Upgrade Lightning's look, abilities and actions through hundreds of game-changing weapons and outfit combinations.
A Constantly Moving World: Nova Chrysalia moves to the beat of a 24 hour clock resulting in a different journey for every player.
All New Battle System: Master a completely overhauled battle system to control Lightning like never before by being able to block, dodge, and counter with precision.

d39274b8f859af1448bd9abd34f884c2.jpg
LRFFXXIII_Test_8.jpg
LigntningReturns-2.jpg
13844232009.JPG

Style-Change Active Time Battle (SATB) : LR introduces a new battle system to the series. By removing certain parts of an enemy, not only will their attacks become weaker, will possibly drop rare items as well. Enemies can be “knocked out” quicker by using abilities they are vulnerable against. Once defeated, Last Ones will drop extremely valuable items. When Lightning sneaks up on an opponent and attacks it without being noticed, the enemy will start off with less health than usual.

Eradia:
Eradia is gathered by releasing people's souls from their bodies, usually by awakening or resolving long-buried feelings. This is what increases Lightning’s streath throughout the game. Eradia is given to Yggrassil in the Ark at the end of a day to increase the lifespan of the world, giving you more time. Sidequests and the five main quests award Lightning with Eradia, but Canvas of Prayers quests do not.(but they still increase Lightning’s stats) If you complete enough quests, you’ll be given a day beyond the 13 limit.

The Ark:
At the end of every day at 6AM, Lightning returns to the Ark to give Eradia to Yggdrasil. In The Ark Hope will be waiting with useful info regarding the story as well as gifts for your journey. Lightning will fully recover all gauges, including EP. You can also stock up on items.
Bosses and Last Ones can be challenged again in The Ark by using the 'Book of Conquests'.

Energy Points:
You can fill up your EP gauge by conquering foes. With enough EP you can use certain abilities inside or outside of battle.
These abilities include Overclock, Army of One, Escape, Decoy, Chronostasis, Telepo (Teleport), Curaga, and Arise. Chronostasis freezes the clock for one minute and fifteen seconds of real-time. Telepo can be used on the various teleport spots Lightning unlocks. Curaga will completely restore Lightning’s health and Arise will revive her.

Difficulty Modes:
LR lets players pick EASY and NORMAL modes in the beginning. HARD mode becomes available after clearing the game once. One in-game hour is equivalent to 2 1/2 real-time minutes.
SCHEMATA AND GARBS
lightningreturnsSchema.gif
tombraiderdlc.gif
xWJl2r.gif
lightning-returns-sohei-savior.jpg

A Schema is a set of various pieces of equipment and up to four abilities, which you can allocate via the Customize Schemata entry at the main menu. You can have up to three Main Schemata available in combat.
During battle, you can switch between each Main Schema at any time to make the most of their strengths, and of their respective ATB gauges.

Your costume or Garb is the most important part of a Schema. Not only does each garb come with unique auto-abilities offering various features and attribute boosts, but they also provide native abilities that cannot be changed. In addition, your garb determines your maximum ATB, and your default ATB (how full a Schema’s ATB gauge is at the beginning of each battle). Choosing the right garb for any given situation and ensuring that your active Schemata complement each other is truly essential to your success.

Full Schemata setup includes your GRAB, Weapon, Shield, Head and Arm Accessory, and the Garbs abilities.
QUESTS
0411.jpg
a3086f290bf6284f21f4f052d25a2d5f.jpg
lightning-returns_screenshot5.jpg
2877510-2996631697-468px.jpg

Instead of being divided into chapters, like the previous two games, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's story is told in the form of five main quests. Side quests are available to increase Lightning's stats and Eradia for Yggdrasil to prolong the Apocalypse. Both main quests and side quests are rewarded with stat increases, Eradia and gil and item rewards.

THE SAVIORS WORDS

lrffxiii_october_h.jpg
original.gif
j4HYaXd1W8zfu_va9t6GvK6TL__4yOWHc8BNEEyPqvv6NMdaOxGy6pXU_PomeMwVClRkb0RUXUJwMKUWCYNGR8sKY-4=w426-h240-n

Throughout the game, as you complete both Main Quests and Side Quest, you’ll get a message from Lightning. The messages are essentially the Savior’s thoughts and feelings regarding the tasks she completed. Anyone that is interested in knowing more about Light will find these to be a nice bonus.
MUSIC

thecomposersoflr.jpg
Video_Game_Orchestra-logo.png

Composed by Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, and Mitsuto Suzuki. Hamauzu was the leader composer for XIII and XIII-2, and Mizuta and Suzuki previously composed music for XIII-2. Musicians who had previously worked with the composers on XIII-2 and The 3rd Birthday worked on the project in Japan, while the main soundtrack was performed by and recorded in Boston by the Video Game Orchestra. Shota, the producer, orchestrated.Yohei Sato (VGO's conductor) conducted for the recording, and Falk who's basically a side character did the engineering.

Some Samples

Lightning's Theme - Radiance Noel & Yeul ~Pact of the Light Savior of Souls ~ Battle Theme

LUMINA’S RULES and Tips

latest

Discussion, criticisms, and debates for the content of the game are always encouraged, but DO NOT DERAIL THE THREAD with shit posts or crap like “the end of the series” etc. etc.etc.
SPOILER TAG your posts, several people will be playing this for the first time.
DO NOT PLAY ON EASY – you might be overwhelmed, but once you get a grasp of the system and time limit, you’ll find the challenge to be right.
The time limit is not a big factor. If you do well in battle you’ll earn enough EP to spam Chronostasis.
Don’t get caught up in one quest, keep gathering them and move throughout the world.

FINAL WORDS
This might be the end of her story, but it is not the last time we’ll see her. With upcoming games like DISSIDIA ARCADE, FF EXPLORERS, WORLD of FANTASY, and most likely KH3, Lightning, and maybe some of her friends, will return. Until next we see Light.
lightforevertwitter1lquw1.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Finally PC players will get to experience the stunning end to Lightning's journey. Enjoy!

Hopefully S-E uses the profits for FFXIII-4 or Lightning Returns 2 since she's so popular.

wd5UdGh.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Be interesting to see what the guinea pi... err early adopters have to say about the port quality.

Hopefully the big gap between 13-2 and this was spent sorting their shit out, but I'm not optimistic on that.

Toth

Interesting to see how the port is going to fix some of the issues on the PS3.

But still, an excellent OP for an underrated game. Enjoy!

Haha, that's a lot of Lightning! Also: dog.

Hopefully port isn't too bad... but I guess even a bad port is still better than the console version. *sigh*

Corpekata

Banned
I can deal with resolution lock it's actually 60 FPS stable and not XIII and XIII-2's "well, this camera angle is going to drop to 30 FPS for no reason despite using 4 percent of your GPU" sort of 60 FPS support.

Can't wait to try this.

Still salty about not being able to start the game on Hard on you first playthrough though >.>

Great OT btw Ganon!

If the price is right I'll dip in right away. Already have it on 360 but would be nice playing through again over time on PC with better res and frame-rate. Final boss on 360 was a mess frame-rate wise.

I can deal with resolution lock it's actually 60 FPS stable and not XIII and XIII-2's "well, this camera angle is going to drop to 30 FPS for no reason despite using 4 percent of your GPU" sort of 60 FPS support.
fuck, ill settle for just being able to lock it at a stable 30 after the 12 FPS shitshow of the console version

Arklite

This game appeals strongly to my inner flashy costume whore. It's like the final ultimate version of the X-2 dressphere system.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it actually 1080p locked or did they copy and paste their system requirements from the original FFXIII release which was resolution locked until they stole Durantes fixes and added them to their game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WAIT, IS IT HAPPENING? IS IT REALLY HAPPENING?

AM I FINALLY, AFTER ALL YEARS, GOING TO SEE LIGHTNING IN 60 FPS?!

Fantastic thread, Dragmire!

Corpekata

Banned
Is it actually 1080p locked or did they copy and paste their system requirements from the original FFXIII release which was resolution locked until they stole Durantes fixes and added them to their game.

It actually seemed copy pasted from the Dragon Quest Heroes store page. Don't think they really listed the options and whatnot before these two releases beyond vague lines.

Given both games are 1080p/ 60 fps capped, wonder if same team ported both.

B00TE

Ooooh. Depending on how the port is, I'll pick this up. Had a lot of fun with the PS3 version, never finished it though.

fuck, ill settle for just being able to lock it at a stable 30 after the 12 FPS shitshow of the console version

I'd love that too, but I could never get satisfactory results even while locking the first game at 30. This series is just a mess on PC, sadly. And it's really hard to go back to the PS3 versions now. I actually love these games, and all I want is to play an ideal version of them. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WAIT I'M STILL NOT SURE

AM I REALLY, REALLY GOING TO SEE LIGHTNING IN 60FPS?

Corpekata

Banned
Implying Durante won't fix it in 1 minute.

I mean, the man's a miracle worker but lately there's been a half dozen Japanese games lately that have stubbornly maintained their locks after release, including one released by Square a week ago.

Granted, most of them are Koei Tecmo games, so there might be more hope here.

CHC

OP's avatar checks out.

I always thought this game looked shitty and I didn't pay attention but the OT is actually pretty enticing. Might play this and XIII-2 over winter break.

Just wanted to say this was a great game, it's too bad the XIII series was so panned because all three are great games, especially XIII-2 and LR. Highly recommend listening to the soundtracks.

Yoshichan

oh my fucking GOD; literally all my Dual Shocks are broken. Where can I find dirt cheap Dual Shocks that ships their shit instantly, and for a cheap price?

I mean, the man's a miracle worker but lately there's been a half dozen Japanese games lately that have stubbornly maintained their locks after release, including one released by Square a week ago.

Granted, most of them are Koei Tecmo games, so there might be more hope here.

He fixed the first one within hours (albeit with a few bugs) because he really wanted to see that game in 4k. I don't know his feelings on LR, though.

My girl Lightning is back!

Hope my laptop can at least run this at a stable 30. Really enjoyed the several hours I played of the console version.

Also, is there an announced price point? I didn't see anything in the OP.

MCD

Only thing I loathed is child Hope. His adult form from 13-2 was soooo good. Fucking Square.

At least his chitchat with Light during the whole game made up for it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Really glad to see a PC port of this...when i played 13-2 it almost killed me on PS3 considering it felt like it was perpetually in the low 20s and below. And i'm certain i heard the 360 version was even worse then that

Top Bottom