• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

icX4a5d9vgi1t.gif

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
in comparison to other towns, Academia or Eden it no where near as impressive.

It's probably ten times bigger and large than those corridors' cities. What are you saying? Plus you can interact with it in vertical and not just horizontal. There's no comparison at all.

Bleep

I get what you are proving here but FF13/13-2 battle backgrounds weren't any better. Do not mistake battle background with non-battle background.

I haven't played much of either of those games as they didn't really capture my attention. What I'm saying can pretty much be taken as the opinion of someone as an outsider to the 13 series. It seems like there should be better ways to mask limited space through smart placement of art. For example, the Monster Hunter series also features flat, closed environments but through smart placement of art they are able to create cohesive feeling locations on much lesser hardware than something like the PS3 or 360:

monster19tjat.jpg

If they want to get the attention of someone like me who has little experience with the 13 games, then they shouldn't release footage of a game this early in the process! I can only judge it based on what they have shown me. It really feels like they have only created one exploration area and one battle scene, then quickly cut together a trailer to show what they have off.

Bleep

This post is just tragic :(

Patience young one, Noctis Ouji will guide us out of the darkness, he will come!

Oh wow, I totally missed that post when I was skimming through this thread. That is pretty much exactly what I was reminded of when I saw the trailer, but I couldn't quite put my finger on which game and which location I was thinking of.

zoukka

Bahahaahah! I can't believe how shitty this game looks. I haven't followed it all, but it reminds me of Dirge of Cerberus for some reason. The character design has reached a new low at SE. Those sunglasses and that outfit :D

And why did they release footage with clear stuttering and low framerates? Unless the final game actually looks and performs that bad in a small location with a handful of NPC's...

Goddamn you SE, you used to be cool and competent.

the_id

That trailer is disappointing. Bland and boring. Lightning isn't an interesting character and Nomura's design of her is over the top exaggeration of just visual noise. There is nothing there that is appealing.

Square Enix is a sinking ship both creatively and from a business perspective. Looking at their stocks, they've declined significantly over the last 5 years. There are so many holes in their ship that not matter what they do, it'll just continue to sink.

To think that at the start of this generation, they came out saying that who ever gets Square's support, they'll win the console war. How the mighty have fallen.

Bladenic

Um, I hope I'm not the only one who thought the trailer looked pretty cool. I like Lightning's outfit, like the environment, and battles look pretty cool and more in line with that original 13 trailer. I hope they don't reuse the monster designs again though.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to think some FF deeply hurt Toriyama one day, and this has all been some sort of revenge mission since then.

He wanted Yuna to be his Waifu but that didn't work out so he decided to create his very own Lightning.

His abusive love for a character has seen him take happy Lightning (away from the happy ending in FFXIII) into the dark realm of Valhalla. He repeatedly abuse her by making her fight Cauis over and over again. She also lost her world and her sister and is now put into crystal sleep.

And Toriyama still loves her and wants a happy ending for her when he was the one who wrote Lightning into these corners.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The voiceover:

In the city, people worship god. But their are places where they do not have light, and thus they have darkness, and that is where they do not worship god. But still there are other things in the formula, such as the time period of the story. And additionally there may be some other things about god.

I mean are people listening? It's just total gibberish.

Forkball

Can some FFXIII fan explain how all this is connected? The story and aesthetics seem all over the place. It's sci fi, then fantasy, then like medieval or some shit WHAT'S GOING ON WHY DOES SHE HAVE SHADES

This looks so rushed. That city looked pathetic and the combat was basically "fight in a big box."

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Was this going to be a Vita or 3DS game or something? That is my only explanation. I just don't understand how the fuck this is so bad. Is it like Team Intern or something, and the Versus squad (all five of them) and the KH Osaka team are the only peeps left at Square still making anything worth a shit.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Can some FFXIII fan explain how all this is connected? The story and aesthetics seem all over the place. It's sci fi, then fantasy, then like medieval or some shit WHAT'S GOING ON WHY DOES SHE HAVE SHADES

This looks so rushed. That city looked pathetic and the combat was basically "fight in a big box."

Something about the collapse of time and a world made from different time periods. And the denizens having no life nor death and have been living for hundreds of years since the end of the second game.

Was this going to be a Vita or 3DS game or something? That is my only explanation. I just don't understand how the fuck this is so bad. Is it like Team Intern or something, and the Versus squad (all five of them) and the KH Osaka team are the only peeps left at Square still making anything worth a shit.

Rushed development. At the beginning of the year a while after FFXIII-2 was out Toriyama was saying that he couldn't decide which platform his next game should be. And they also said development started in Aug (although they probably meant full development).

They're probably following the Toriyama way of producing games now. Which is to have monthly landmarks and to have preproduction take place along production. And to outsource more sections of the development to other companies.

DSix

Banned
I like the cloth physics. Everything else is meh.

And having that self-serious pretentious Lightning wearing an Evil Demon-Slut outfit is comically incoherent. That outfit is not terribad in itself, but on this character? wutlol.
It would be good for an evil demon warrior or something, or that midboss we saw in Versus.

Eusis

The voiceover:

In the city, people worship god. But their are places where they do not have light, and thus they have darkness, and that is where they do not worship god. But still there are other things in the formula, such as the time period of the story. And additionally there may be some other things about god.

With the end of FFXIII-2 came the end to all sense and logic in the world.

Actually deciding to make FFXIII-2 was probably when all sense and logic died.

The voiceover:

Is written by Toriyama, the guy who wrote 3rd Birthday...I mean...better not to think about it.

Voiceover is Hope, that's what matters.

Perfo

They're probably following the Toriyama way of producing games now. Which is to have monthly landmarks and to have preproduction take place along production. And to outsource more sections of the development to other companies.

I don't think this is bad though considering the old methods gave us XIII and never gave us Versus. The only problem with that way of producing game is that the game is an eternal working-in-progress and difficult to show in a decent condition 'till the last weeks.

Btw, Ali Hillis is just so bad.

The voiceover:

Can you Hope haters just shut up? I mean come on.

The Final Fantasy brand is no longer a must have for me. I'll just wait for reviews for FF15 and other upcoming games. I no longer have faith in SE. They can cancel Versus for all I care.

Perfo

From this

to this

Yeah, they totally went for a different lighting. That's something happening frequently though, just check at XIII and XIII-2's artworks or games' artworks in general. Not everytime they stick to the original sketch.

Perfo

BTW whats with the trailer links being removed? leaked release?

GT uploaded it by mistake. Thus the bad-encoding and framerate, same incident happened with that infamous trailer of "A Realm Reborn". Speaking of which, that trailer too was pretty bad while the game is shaping out nice.

Foffy

Banned
lol this trailer. lol these reactions to the trailer. lol this thread.

BTW whats with the trailer links being removed? leaked release?

I believe this was supposed to be shown tomorrow.

GT uploaded it by mistake. Thus the bad-encoding and framerate, same incident happened with that infamous trailer of "A Realm Reborn". Speaking of which, that trailer too was pretty bad while the game is shaping out nice.

Did you just seriously imply the sporadic performance is an error on Gametrailers and not the game?

gotta say, with FFXIII, Squareenix has more or less obliterated my interest in the brand. That youtube... just made me think "urgh". I used to greet each new game with lots of excitement.

info_minister.jpg

This is the same video that would've gone up on Saturday, encoding and all. Someone just set the visible time to be too early.

iavi

Honestly, I thought this thread was like 80% hyperbole and I'd watch the trailer and enjoy it....ummm wtf is going on over at squeenix?

That was in no way material you want anybody seeing. FFXII looked better.

spirity

gotta say, with FFXIII, Squareenix has more or less obliterated my interest in the brand. That youtube... just made me think "urgh". I used to greet each new game with lots of excitement.

FF releases used to be a red letter day. Now they just scream "avoid".

But its only 1 game, that doesn't signify a trend. Oh there was x2 also. 2 games, still doesn't signify a trend though. Oh, there was 14 as well. Still its only 3 games. And this one, which is 4 games. Still not enough to signify a trend or problem at SE.

Versus is going to be brilliant, I'm sure of it. Definitely won't be the 5th bad FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom