• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're seeing this from different points of view. I'm listing developers/publishers first to show which games they can sign if they get one of them onboard. If they get in touch with Marvelous, they could sign one of the games I listed. Same for Spike Chunsoft and 5pb. I'm not focusing on specific titles because at this point, LRG needs to establish connections with as many companies as possible, and if they secure one partnership, they'll know how many titles they can localize from that developer/publisher.

Sure, sure. I'm just not sure that's the right way round to do it, rather than say "here's a title we REALLY want" (let's say, Ukiyo no Roushi from Spike Chunsoft). They establish that relationship first because of the clear massive demand for the game, work on that title, then you can start working on "and they also have these in their catalog" to open things up further.

Like I say, those are just my thoughts. People like what you're doing, so keep it up!

Shizuka

Sure, sure. I'm just not sure that's the right way round to do it, rather than say "here's a title we REALLY want" (let's say, Ukiyo no Roushi from Spike Chunsoft). They establish that relationship first because of the clear massive demand for the game, work on that title, then you can start working on "and they also have these in their catalog" to open things up further.

Like I say, those are just my thoughts. People like what you're doing, so keep it up!

I don't think there's a "right" way to do it. Aokage did it with a specific title, I'm showing several titles. My objective is not to get all of them localized, it's to show potential partners and what they'd have available for Limited Run Games.

I don't think there's a "right" way to do it. Aokage did it with a specific title, I'm showing several titles. My objective is not to get all of them localized, it's to show potential partners and what they'd have available for Limited Run Games.

Okay, okay. Not how I'd go about it, but good luck with it, I hope something good comes from it :p

NR1

I was thinking about what Limited Run was saying on Twitter about making themselves stand apart from other publishers of limited run indie titles, and that got me thinking about a project I had been working on MANY YEARS ago when I was writing game articles.

Back in 2004, I had been working on a presentation for Retro Studios that I called Project Beowulf. Basically it was just in-game developer commentary like a movie commentary track on the DVD or Blu-ray. I had a demo reel made up to show the general concept that took portions of interviews from my Retro Studios Retrospective and Art of Prime articles and inserted them into a video of me playing through the first section of Metroid Prime (Space Pirate Frigate). I used visual cues while playing the game to indicate a commentary trigger had been activated (scanning something, opening a door, solving a puzzle, etc...). I never really took this idea anywhere and never presented to anyone at Nintendo or Retro.

Back then, this was really unheard of. Valve started introducing this exact concept the following year with Half-Life 2: Lost Coast. Even though this concept has been showing up from time to time over the last 12 years, it is still very limited and rarely seen. I think this could be a really cool thing to include for special limited run "Developer Commentary Editions."

Rather than just indie titles, maybe re-release bigger mainstream titles with commentary implemented a year or 2 after it's original release. Since these types of titles likely would have already seen most of their total lifetime units sold, and only a niche market likely exists that has an interest in developer commentaries, this could be a good fit for their business model.

A nice YouTube video highlighting some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0ezDrUof8

joe2187

Banned
Skullgirls Final patches are now released....

this means the finalization of the Phyiscal carts/CDs can begin soon...

finally

nMd5nCR.gif

blacksark

Release trailer and date confirmed for sonic Mania. I can't understand why the game doesn't have a retail release, I'm sure it would sell a lot, no possibilities lrg?

Shizuka

I guess Square-Enix has entered the "limited print" business with Lost Sphear, physical exclusive to the Square-Enix Online Store.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Release trailer and date confirmed for sonic Mania. I can't understand why the game doesn't have a retail release, I'm sure it would sell a lot, no possibilities lrg?

A while back they did the whole "we might consider it if the digital version sells well!" teasing :/

I guess Square-Enix has entered the "limited print" business with Lost Sphear, physical exclusive to the Square-Enix Online Store.

I ordered it :/ (That stupid domestic $9 "super-saver shipping" is way overpriced!! Maybe I should contact them to see the price breakdown on it...) Not sure why Setsuna didn't go physical in the west. Lots of people just imported it, but did Square not realize how many it would sell near launch, since there only like 3 physical games out at the time? Freaking Bomberman sold half a mill!! What a wasted opportunity...

blacksark

A while back they did the whole "we might consider it if the digital version sells well!" teasing :/

I ordered it :/ (That stupid domestic $9 "super-saver shipping" is way overpriced!! Maybe I should contact them to see the price breakdown on it...) Not sure why Setsuna didn't go physical in the west. Lots of people just imported it, but did Square not realize how many it would sell near launch, since there only like 3 physical games out at the time? Freaking Bomberman sold half a mill!! What a wasted opportunity...

Who in the world thinks that it's not going to sell well? I mean sega makes incredible games but some decisions don't make sense.
I have also grabbed Lost sphear but I don't consider square enix competition, and I don't think it's going to be too limited although it says so.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Who in the world thinks that it's not going to sell well? I mean sega makes incredible games but some decisions don't make sense.
I have also grabbed Lost sphear but I don't consider square enix competition, and I don't think it's going to be too limited although it says so.

Some companies are just super cautious for I-Have-No-Idea reasons. (I tried to get into the business side of the game industry for a job so I could be like "seriously, there's demand and profits to come from this!" but that didn't work out :p)

blacksark

Some companies are just super cautious for I-Have-No-Idea reasons. (I tried to get into the business side of the game industry for a job so I could be like "seriously, there's demand and profits to come from this!" but that didn't work out :p)

Yes but they have even done that super collector edition, why haven't they made a physical disc release too? If they make a collector edition is because they believe it's going to sell and they're right, or at least that's what I believe.

Wait... LRG is shipping via USPS now?

Just got a shipping confirmation email for Risk of Rain and the tracking link directs to the USPS tracking site.

Joe Molotov

Wait... LRG is shipping via USPS now?

Just got a shipping confirmation email for Risk of Rain and the tracking link directs to the USPS tracking site.

Yeah, I got Mutant Mudds through USPS. Kinda shitty that they charge $5 s/h, when it probably costs like $2 to send a Vita game first-class.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, it was probably Priority, not First-Class. That may be closer to $5.

I'm assuming you used the holding service?
I didn't think those actually got shipped but rather held back.

I did not.

Haven't used their holding service at all, and so far all of my orders (ever since Dragon Fantasy) have been shipped via "APC / ParcelConnect Priority DDP W/Delcon", until now...

NDPsycho

they switched to that shitty UPS Mail Innovations... UPS most of the way and USPS does final delivery usually... They save some money, unfortunately, consumer does not.

Mine too. UPS mail innovations is the ass crack of domestic shipping. Twice as long to receive, plus your package gets to endure the tender mercies of both UPS and USPS? Sign me up! About the only thing I'd trust with UPS to ship is a bruised corpse.

Weevilone

Big edit:

It does look like mine are coming UPS Mail Innovations, which I was confusing with UPS Surepost. Both are absolutely horrible for sure, but it seems I can only opt out of Surepost with UPS My Choice Premium subscription (paid). It seems the only tracking number is with USPS.

So yeah it sucks and is the worst method they could use IMO. Paying $1 for it is too much.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Loving Shizuka's regular suggestions.

As soon as my imminent work commitments are completed, I'll get back in on the grassroots campaigns.

Spinoff90

Anybody else not having the Mudds games move? Hasn't been a single change change to the tracking since the shipping confirmation e-mail on the 19th. Things had been improving lately with shipments actually moving not long after the shipping confirmation which was nice and has resulted in getting the games much faster. So sucks to be back to this on route to the export warehouse lack of movement well after the shipping confirmation that used to be the norm.

Weevilone

Anybody else not having the Mudds games move? Hasn't been a single change change to the tracking since the shipping confirmation e-mail on the 19th. Things had been improving lately with shipments actually moving not long after the shipping confirmation which was nice and has resulted in getting the games much faster. So sucks to be back to this on route to the export warehouse lack of movement well after the shipping confirmation that used to be the norm.

Are you international or domestic?

I already have mine (US) but I never got tracking for those games. I checked back at their site and they just never assigned a number to it. Was going to look to see when it arrived.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad how NISA barely made an entrance to VNs... they have some neat ones, and only Disgaea Infinite made it over (cause Disgaea).

takoyaki

Glad you're enjoying! Today's NIS turn - Fuuraiki 3, Hero Must Die, Special Report Division and Shin Hayarigami.

Another cool list! Some quick impressions:

-Fuuraiki 3 is the definition of a niche game. I'm playing it right now and it's the perfect antidote for daily stress. Like the Boku no Natsuyasumi games, you can just sit back and treat it like a 30min vacation. The backgrounds are all real-life location shots from Hokkaidō combined with anime character art. You travel across the island on your bike as a professional photo blogger, choose your route, visit tourist sites and small locations like a remote water fall, meet and talk to people, take photos and upload them to your blog when you camp at night. There's a couple of recurring characters you meet and their stories unfold during your trip. Since you constantly have to pick where to go, what to do and who to meet next, there's probably a good amount of replayability.

-Shin Hayarigami 1 - I played through the main story and didn't like it all that much, I preferred the old Hayarigami games for a number of reasons. It certainly earns the Z rating with its gross-out body horror, I found it more disgusting than scary. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure other readers won't mind. I wasn't a big fan of the story either. The Second Shin Hayarigami game features a recurring character in a different setting. It also brings back the omnibus format of the old Hayarigami games (”monster-of-the-week", like a season of X-Files) I only played the first 2 cases of SHG2 so far but I liked it more than SHG1.

- Special Report Division - Bought it when it came out and always meant to play it one day. I think it's bit like the old Hayarigami games with multiple cases from the Sci-Fi/Supernatural genre instead of Horror/Urban Legends. Certainly looks interesting.

Same here (international UK order). Feels like things are moving much slower than past orders.

I don't know if I really ever posted here despite subscribing to this thread and buying about a dozen or so of their games. Two things I guess...

One: I really wish they'd update their website or redesign it. I feel like I have to follow this thread, their twitter, their newsletter, and a spreadsheet to have any idea what is coming out on what date, what has been announced, and what the time frame for the announcements are. Also, I wish they accepted Apple Pay since they use Shopify, which I think supports Apple Pay.

Two: I could not care less about Vita anime visual novels and hope they keep doing interesting and varied games that should be preserved physically. But, I know that's just me.

Olengie

Theyve been doing various types of things. But a couple of us here also want some VNs as well. They also promised us JPN games, so VNs are also part of that category

oldmario

Same here (international UK order). Feels like things are moving much slower than past orders.

i don't know if the games being in one of those boxes change anything but my last order from them came within a week, the 2 orders i have before were seperate games and took maybe 2-3 weeks to come

mollipen

I simultaneously love and hate Shizuka's posts. On one hand, they remind me of some of the games I'm forgetting about at times that I'm curious about, and on the other hand, they make me sad that so many of those games will never make it our way.

Shizuka

Glad you guys are enjoying it, I want to keep the discussion going and discuss the various different titles that could be part of LRG's catalogue.

By the way, is anyone using the hold shipment service? Do your orders say "fulfilled" or "unfulfilled"? My orders were labeled as "unfulfilled", but they're all "fulfilled" now despite me not having it sent out yet.

i don't know if the games being in one of those boxes change anything but my last order from them came within a week, the 2 orders i have before were seperate games and took maybe 2-3 weeks to come

Hmm... You raise a good point. All my past orders have been single games, and always arrived quickly. I wonder if it being two games instead of one is making a difference in delivery time?

Samuray

I did not.

Haven't used their holding service at all, and so far all of my orders (ever since Dragon Fantasy) have been shipped via "APC / ParcelConnect Priority DDP W/Delcon", until now...

Oh...okay....do we still have DDP?

I have been using the hold service for the past two games so I'd like to know.

Semoreh

Two: I could not care less about Vita anime visual novels and hope they keep doing interesting and varied games that should be preserved physically. But, I know that's just me.

Same here. I find Shizuka's posts interesting but I'm more into good western indie games than asian VNs and obscure Dungeon Crawlers :)

They said they could release some from time to time, even maybe localize one game themselves, and that's cool (I'd probably buy some out of curiosity) but I hope they don't deduce from this thread and the time it took to sell Risk of Rain that people's interests have shifted radically ^^

Same here. I find Shizuka's posts interesting but I'm more into good western indie games than asian VNs and obscure Dungeon Crawlers :)

They said they could release some from time to time, even maybe localize one game themselves, and that's cool (I'd probably buy some out of curiosity) but I hope they don't deduce from this thread and the time it took to sell Risk of Rain that people's interests have shifted radically ^^

^Hope so too. I hope LRG diversifies their bonds however they need to, though. The possible spin off label they mentioned awhile back for different kinds of titles sounded good to me.

Me too. Love Japanese games but when it comes down to VNs, I will probably get very selective. Once in a while they are cool, but I might as well just read a book instead. :-D

We all do (specially Kresnik).

You betcha. You've actually got two games in there that I've been mad on in the past, I advocated pretty hard for Fuuraiki 3 on the NISA forums when it came out but alas...

I gave up on it about 18 months ago though... and Hero Must Die about 6 months ago. So you've definitely got my attention with this selection, but I don't think NIS have ever licenced out their games to anyone else since NISA was formed? I suppose similar things have happened (Marvelous licencing out Valkyrie Drive), but it's kinda rare.

If anything, though, as much as I'm dying for these games (particularly Hero Must Die, which looks like so much my kinda thing it hurts), I kinda hope LRG take a gamble on other publishers who've had less of a chance to get their games in the west. Like Dramatic Create, those suggestions were legit, or even D3 Publisher where no-one seems to be going after their Vita games (but XSEED are mad-keen on their PS4 games).

Sorry if it seemed like I was railing on your posting the other day btw. Dunno why I was so grumpy that day :(

Tapejara

This would excite me if it weren't for the fact that the SE store charges a ridiculous price for international shipping. $33.99 to ship to Canada in this case, I'm sure other countries have it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom