• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

I find that policy exaggerated as well. It just results in people being upset and chargebacks.

I'm actually thinking of doing a charge-back as they're no longer responding to my emails and they sure as hell have not shipped out. Fuck them.

It appears there was another printing error as the case says #34 and the slipcover says #35. Flinthook already claimed #34, so this is actually rather disappointing.

Yeah I just checked and you're right. I wonder if the slip cover is supposed to serve as the fix, since it has the correct number.

Hmm my Broken Age didn't have a slip. Is that only for the ps4 copy?

I got the PS4 version so that's the only one I can speak for. Has a Vita game ever had a slipcover? I've personally never seen one, at least not that I can remember.

Chesskid1

Banned
the PS4 version of broken age got a free slipcover because of a typo? wish the vita had a typo then :3

curious what it looks like.

found a pic via instagram

OxqQOAo.jpg

284 now. This... may take all weekend lol.

257 now, 8 hours later. This is gonna take a while.

Wonder what LRG are gonna do with Vita games going forward. There's clearly still plenty of demand, just... maybe not quite as much demand as there used to be.

(I know it'll still sell out, but LRG like fast turnarounds and this one is looking to go on well into next week).

Maybe slightly smaller runs for Vita going forward?

NDPsycho

I'm actually thinking of doing a charge-back as they're no longer responding to my emails and they sure as hell have not shipped out. Fuck them.

Unless they treat you like PSN, etc would. It's not their policy to do cancellations, not a secret.

Weevilone

It's a customer unfriendly policy, and considering they are a 2 man show that thrives off their community relationships, I'd say it's one that needs to change.

I get that it adds complexity, but the alternative really isn't ok. It doesn't add more complexity than dealing with credit card companies over charge-backs.

It's not like he's trying to return stuff.

oldmario

It's a customer unfriendly policy, and considering they are a 2 man show that thrives off their community relationships, I'd say it's one that needs to change.

I get that it adds complexity, but the alternative really isn't ok. It doesn't add more complexity than dealing with credit card companies over charge-backs.

It's not like he's trying to return stuff.

if they didn't have the rule in place people would probably take advantage of buying something then a couple days later going back on wanting it a lot more than happens now

lets say out of 4000 buyers that 50 people want a refund (i know it's only 1 in this case) and it takes 10 minutes to sort out a refund that's more or less an entire day of either doug or josh sorting that out instead of responding to ongoing future signings or hitting up developers and publishers to get them in the future

Weevilone

if they didn't have the rule in place people would probably take advantage of buying something then a couple days later going back on wanting it a lot more than happens now

lets say out of 4000 buyers that 50 people want a refund (i know it's only 1 in this case) and it takes 10 minutes to sort out a refund that's more or less an entire day of either doug or josh sorting that out instead of responding to ongoing future signings or hitting up developers and publishers to get them in the future

I mean it's fairly clear why they do it. But at the same time, it's a pretty customer unfriendly policy from a gang that doesn't need to be perceived as such.

I also expect a bunch of "it's the rule" and a free pass b/c people want the games.

I guess such weirdness does occasionally happen. My physical Japanese release of Steins;Gate 0 lists only Vita, but the PS4 version that was free on PS Plus a couple months back lists PS4/Vita yet is wholly separate.

And I did scroll down and find my PS4 Broken Age trophies. They're separate all right :)

Glad to hear everything's all right, then! :)

the PS4 version of broken age got a free slipcover because of a typo? wish the vita had a typo then :3

Ahh man, typo or not, I wish I'd known the PS4 version came with a slipcover. I'd've double-dipped, haha!

LQX

I think if you do that they might just ban you from future purchases.

I will not be doing a charge-back or disputing it. Will most likely just sell it to a fellow Gaffer at a discount but will most likley just keep or give it to my nephew who has recently started collecting releases.

LiK

I will not be doing a charge-back or disputing it. Will most likely just sell it to a fellow Gaffer at a discount but will most likley just keep or give it to my nephew who has recently started collecting releases.

Cool.

what does Atelier (games that are complete on PSN but unplayable in JP) have to do with darius (Game that lots of people already imported, game that can be enjoyed in Japanese, game that has lots of DLC) when it comes to physical releases?

The problem they're focusing on is that many people had an issue with the price for the game being $50, not what the game itself was. If people don't want to pay $50 for a Vita game, even if it's a higher quality one like Darius, why think they'll pay that amount for something like Atelier?

The problem they're focusing on is that many people had an issue with the price for the game being $50, not what the game itself was. If people don't want to pay $50 for a Vita game, even if it's a higher quality one like Darius, why think they'll pay that amount for something like Atelier?
Because JRPG fans will pay out the ass for physical collectible releases.

Source: I am a JRPG fan who would pay out the ass for physical vita releases. I already bought Ray Gigant from them for $40, what's another $10 or $20 for a game of much higher quality like Atelier? People would do it for games they care about.

Like I said, a lot of people would have already imported darius before or even bought it on ps4 since there was a CE vs no CE on vita and then 50$ release. The atelier plus games are literally only on vita and digital only. you cannot import to play because you wont understand shit. there's been a lot of noise for atelier from the start. atelier has had a history of getting CEs in Englihs and all but on Vita we've had digital only releases. There's defo an audience.

I don't mind the $50 price tag, but I already own multiple copies of Darius, including Japanese imports. Sure, a lower price tag would have helped, but it wasn't the reason why I passed on Darius this time. I would definitely buy Atelier games for $40-50.

Since I saw the cross-notification in the Dariusburst OT, with no replies:

Dariusburst is one case where the Vita version really does have severe technical limitations. One of the two main game modes is 32:9 aspect ratio... and you have to fit that on the Vita screen.

That is a real issue that is holding this version back.

$40 is the sweet spot for Vita.
Probably, but they could charge more and get away with it, especially if they start doing localizations or English ports to the platform.

For the post above, would you say the Vita version is worth it then? Considering ordering it since it is still available.

t26

Like I said, a lot of people would have already imported darius before or even bought it on ps4 since there was a CE vs no CE on vita and then 50$ release. The atelier plus games are literally only on vita and digital only. you cannot import to play because you wont understand shit. there's been a lot of noise for atelier from the start. atelier has had a history of getting CEs in Englihs and all but on Vita we've had digital only releases. There's defo an audience.

They are looking at Atelier Rorona Plus, a game that cost $39.99 right now. Which means they have to sell it $49.99 for a physical. It also has a physical PS3 release. Yes there is an audience, but to get a deal with Koei they will need a larger than normal print (over 5,000). Even Broke Age Vita took longer to sell out compare to the PS4 version. If Dariusbrust Vita sold out in minutes, LRG would have more confidence with a larger print. This is information that will factor in the print run LRG will propose to Koei, and the print size will also determine if they accept the proposal.

Ventara

They are looking at Atelier Rorona Plus, a game that cost $39.99 right now. Which means they have to sell it $49.99 for a physical. It also has a physical PS3 release. Yes there is an audience, but to get a deal with Koei they will need a larger than normal print (over 5,000). Even Broke Age Vita took longer to sell out compare to the PS4 version. If Dariusbrust Vita sold out in minutes, LRG would have more confidence with a larger print. This is information that will factor in the print run LRG will propose to Koei, and the print size will also determine if they accept the proposal.

Tbh, this is one of their business practice I don't like. Digital $40 games sell for $40 physical, and the games they're selling aren't new releases or anything. It makes sense for cheaper games since you can't sell a physical Vita game for $15, but that reasoning falters at $40.

But as Lord of Ostia said, they can get away with it. And frankly, I certainly would pay $50 for Atelier, but I would still feel stiffed.

A friend of mine was able to reserve Furi for myself, since I had a 13 hour shift that day. Incredibly excited -- thank you for bringing one of the best games this generation to a physical format.

Weevilone

Tbh, this is one of their business practice I don't like. Digital $40 games sell for $40 physical, and the games they're selling aren't new releases or anything. It makes sense for cheaper games since you can't sell a physical Vita game for $15, but that reasoning falters at $40.

I don't want to buy "new releases" for these games on disk or cart. If I did, when the shit goes south down the road, we'd be missing a bunch of patches to fix the games. That's half the point of these. They are complete games.

The reasoning doesn't falter at $50. If it did, people wouldn't buy them. They are supporting what even Sony gave up on, so either buy them or don't.

What backlash are we talking about exactly? It sold out in a weekend. People, many of whom already owned the game, spoke with their wallets, didn't they?

Per Twitter, the "backlash" is 2 people complaining about "price gouging" with DBCS Vita. There's basically no backlash.

Ventara

I don't want to buy "new releases" for these games on disk or cart. If I did, when the shit goes south down the road, we'd be missing a bunch of patches to fix the games. That's half the point of these. They are complete games.

You seem to have misread what I wrote. I, too, certainly want physical copies of older games that never got it.

The reasoning doesn't falter at $50. If it did, people wouldn't buy them. They are supporting what even Sony gave up on, so either buy them or don't.

Did you even read my whole post? People will still buy it for $50 because LRG can get away with it. Not like there's another English Vita physical copy out there.

t26

Sure, there are people who will pay $50 without a problem. There are also people who will $60 or even $70. However, you cannot argue that the number of people who will pay $50 is equal to the number of people who will pay $40.

Weevilone

Sure, there are people who will pay $50 without a problem. There are also people who will $60 or even $70. However, you cannot argue that the number of people who will pay $50 is equal to the number of people who will pay $40.

When the number of people who will pay $50 is sufficient to sell the game out in a day, nothing else matters. If anything, I'd raise the prices beyond what they are charging. Let's see what the market will bear.

They need to find the inflection point and either charge more, or produce more at a lower price. Of course I don't want to pay more. I'm just putting myself in their shoes.

From Josh's Twitter:

Ohhhhhh here we go. I'm genuinely getting so tired of this. It's not enough to put me off buying from LRG, but I really don't like this sort of consumer-blaming wallowing that happens on Twitter from these guys.

I suppose you can file it under "at least they're communicating with their fanbase!" but when the communication is baiting "buy our shit or else!" tweets, it's not fun.

At least we've gotten

Fairly quickly I suppose.

This wouldn't have even happened if they released the PS4 and Vita versions at the same time; yes, yes I know it was out of their control, but if they held off, it would have been sold out faster I bet.

It wasn't even out of their control. They forgot to ask for it. Innocent mistake and all that, but still.

edit: Another Tweet from Josh during his stream of consciousness:

Yeah, I think many Vita fans are moving to Switch, unfortunately. We've noticed many of our hardcore Vita fans have abandoned it for Switch.

Thoughts?

oldmario

Thoughts?

sadly i've noticed this too but the one thing that makes me laugh is how places like the Vita lounge have been obsessing over Vita all these years and then as soon as the switch came out they dropped the magazine and most interest in it overnight

that's some true loyalty....

Clive

sadly i've noticed this too but the one thing that makes me laugh is how places like the Vita lounge have been obsessing over Vita all these years and then as soon as the switch came out they dropped the magazine and most interest in it overnight

that's some true loyalty....

I've noticed it in myself and ever since buying a Switch I have been buying fewer Vita games. I bought everything Vita from LRG up until Mutant Mudds which is around the time I got my Switch but now I find myself looking at the upcoming LRG games and being more interested in the PS4 games. Not saying the quality in LRG's releases have dropped, just my interest and usage of the Vita. The Switch fulfils my portable needs better.

I have a lot of great memories with the Vita and it was the best portable to have in its generation in my opinion but the time for me to move on has come. I don't see any reason to be "loyal" to a console when a better one has come along.

Still buying some LRG games for it though, just not all.

NDPsycho

I love my switch and play it a lot, but it hasn't replaced my vita, it compliments it. Just like all the rest of my systems. I'm still buying every vita release I can and plan to until they stop.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There's lots of issues with the DB Vita release.
I'm convinced if it came out with the PS4 version it'd be gone just as quickly. It's really silly that it didn't happen.

But the Vita version was never even confirmed until after the PS4 version was sold. Lots of people either went for just PS4, or imported the expensive Japanese Vita version.

In the end though, it will sell out. There's only a few left.

I love my switch and play it a lot, but it hasn't replaced my vita, it compliments it. Just like all the rest of my systems. I'm still buying every vita release I can and plan to until they stop.

This.

I love my Switch too, but abandoning the Vita for it makes zero sense, especially at the moment. But to be fair, I never got that console X for console Y trading in the first place.

Perfectly on point.

Shizuka

Regarding the Switch comment, again, I don't know anyone that was a strong Vita supporter and just dropped it after the Switch was released. In my case, I don't think I'll drop the Vita until it's absolutely over, because it'll take years for us to see if the platform will get the kind of games I love on the Vita. Most likely, those games will go to the PS4 and the Switch just won't be my go-to platform, I'll have to do with both PS4 & Switch.

But I don't think this is the case here. I think whenever there's even the slightest sign of something slowing down or going "wrong", the guys quickly try to figure out what went wrong and address something that isn't an issue, at least not yet. There are several "issues" with the Dariusburst Vita release as pointed by people here, gamers jumping to the Switch ain't one of them.

Is it that unacceptable that releases aren't selling out in minutes? Wasn't his bound to happen with time? The first LRG releases were enticing because they were a lot smaller and had the "new" factor, we're almost at LRG #70 in less than a year and a half, I can't be the only one who saw it coming, which is exactly why I was against LRG releasing smaller, lesser-known games, even through a sister brand.

Like both Josh and Doug mentioned in the past, it's time to innovate and try to one-up your competition, not to blame your customers, directly or indirectly. I kinda get where Kresnik said, it's getting tiring the whole "Dariusburst took two days to sell out, now I'm worried about Atelier" or "would you buy Exile's End in order to get Senran Kagura", don't expect or even try to take your customers hostage to buy one product just to get another they might be interested. Most of the issues appearing aren't with the customers or how long or well these games are selling, at all. They mostly lie with how business are being handled by the company.

mrk8885

Banned
I understand that a business has to make sound decisions, but I'm really not a fan of them guilt tripping their customers.

Obviously there's a fine line between shaming the customers and just being open about sales and ability to bring in certain games. But it's certainly not a good look. I'm not going to buy a product I don't want in order to help ensure I get one that I do.

LRG is a business; not your friend.

And like others have said...if your business model isn't working, you adapt your business.

I've really started loving my Switch with some of its newest releases - Shantae on the Switch is much nicer than the Vita port for example (just the frame rate alone which is much more steady sitting at 60FPS as opposed to leaping between 30-60 FPS in most scenes). But at the same time I still play my Vita daily, I won't be stopping collecting anytime soon (I already have another 3+ Vita games on their way!). Its just game choice for me that's stopped me buying a few of the Vita titles from LRG recently. As I've mentioned previously, I already have Japanese copies of Ray Gigant and Darius so I had no reason to buy them again (I hate the story in Ray Gigant, so having it in English is not a strong pull!). Plus stuff like Deemo and Skull Girls can already be got in English via Asian releases so I had no reason to buy either of those. When they release a game I don't already have physically (like Broken Age) for the Vita I'll buy it, else I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom