• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would love to go after things like,

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!)
Yakuza 5 ----------\
Fatal Frame--------> I Will literally pay pretty much any price you ask for these
Phoenix Wright--/
Attack On Titan

So yeah let us know if you'd legit buy these titles.
So, that really

androvsky

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Would absolutely pick up most Atelier games, my wife and I are perfectly happy to double dip on them. I'd say all but we've already at least double dipped for a couple of them when she got her own Vita. Yakuza 5 is a certain buy for me, it's my favourite series, so I don't mind buying it again. Phoenix Wright is a definite buy since I tend to put off digital-only 3DS games until I forget they exist. The other two I might not get at all.

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!) | Sure
Yakuza 5 | hell yeah
Fatal Frame | PLEASE
Phoenix Wright | I already bought the digital NA version and physical JP version but i'll triple dip (assuming we're talking about Dual Destinies here)
Attack On Titan | nah

This is how I feel about the titles you listed.

noquarter

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I would get all of those except Atelier, don't really care for those games.

Yakuza, Fatal Frame and Phoenix Wright I would be willing to buy premium versions of also like a CE or whatever as long as they were maybe 50% more than whatever the regular edition is, was limited and I was still able to buy a regular edition at the same time. For a CE, big thing would be premium packing (Working Designs is still the bar i have for packaging, so meeting that bar will almost always get my business) and inclusion of a soundtrack album of some sort, even if not complete. Small art books are also nice. Prefer these ask fitting in an outer box of some sort, like the Demons Souls CE.

For Yakuza and Fatal Frame, if the physical release came with a manual I would be willing to pay $65 each. Otherwise $60 would still get a purchase from me. $90 max for a CE.

For PW, probably $45 would be the upper end of the price I'd pay. $70 would be the high end of what I would pay for a CE.

blacksark

In any case it's amazing what you've achieved/ you're trying to achieve any way.
Now get us the games(but start with yakuza 5 hahaha).

Shizuka

So we need to ask....

The whole thing about us going after bigger games like Fatal Frame, Yakuza, etc, is that they wouldn't be part of the LRG line. We would just be paying to be the sole distributor basically. We would have to charge more than our normal price. For example Yakuza 5 would be $45-$60 and we would have to order at least 5,000 copies, but in some cases for other games we would order up to 10,000, maybe more.

So what we want to know is, would you honestly pay that price? We don't want people to think if we get a huge game that we can magically make the price $24.99-$30. We would have to buy these games at bulk from the publisher. BUT it would mean that a physical copy would actually exist and we would have access to even more titles in the future if this did well.

So just take a moment to digest that. We have a chance right now to do something similar with a game for Vita but the price would have to be $44.99. But we would gain access to more titles in that series and possibly other series from them.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

tumblr_ncqbk1WL8P1ra4d6ro1_250.gif

If we released a physical HLD, that would be published the traditional route - the pricing would reflect our normal prices and it would be a part of the Limited Run Collection.

We're playing the game right now and it is absolutely fantastic. Really hoping we can sign a deal for the PS4 version.

Sign a deal for the Vita version also.

Kyry

I'd spend up to 60 for Yakuza 5 and Attack On Titan. Possibly pay a premium for other games in The Atelier series. Less likely to buy 3DS and Wii U content.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This thread sure has gained quite the popularity. I wonder if other news sites have noticed and are reporting on it? Those should give some pretty sufficient numbers as well :p Gematsu/Siliconera/etc would go crazy!

eXistor

I think it's pretty obvious games like Yakuza 5 would be full price. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Same with Phoenix Wright. I'm still pissed that never was released physically. The Atelier games I couldn't care less about though and Attack on Titan I can give or take. With Fatal Frame you mean Fatal Frame 4? After playing the dismal Fatal Frame 5 I'm not sure I want that one anymore.

/edit: oh wait, FF5 was never released physically in the US was it? My bad. You're not missing much btw, I've rarely played such a repetitive and tedious game.

If you want that cat, bring us those games. I'll personally kidnap it and deliver it to your offices.
Not really, don't ban me for suggesting kitty kidnapping.

I'd only ban you for kidding....

Also we want to let everyone know, Yakuza 5 is not on the table yet! I don't want people to get super hyped over that. It is a goal, but it's still just a goal right now.

We do need to know that people would spend that much for it. Because like we said, we would have to pay more to get it printed and forfeit some profits to make it happen, but the point would be that it would be real and actually in your hands!

Shizuka

I'd only ban you for kidding....

Also we want to let everyone know, Yakuza 5 is not on the table yet! I don't want people to get super hyped over that. It is a goal, but it's still just a goal right now.

We do need to know that people would spend that much for it. Because like we said, we would have to pay more to get it printed and forfeit some profits to make it happen, but the point would be that it would be real and actually in your hands!

Does that mean that the others are on the table?
#TeamAtelier

Carnby

So we need to ask....

The whole thing about us going after bigger games like Fatal Frame, Yakuza, etc, is that they wouldn't be part of the LRG line. We would just be paying to be the sole distributor basically. We would have to charge more than our normal price. For example Yakuza 5 would be $45-$60 and we would have to order at least 5,000 copies, but in some cases for other games we would order up to 10,000, maybe more.

So what we want to know is, would you honestly pay that price? We don't want people to think if we get a huge game that we can magically make the price $24.99-$30. We would have to buy these games at bulk from the publisher. BUT it would mean that a physical copy would actually exist and we would have access to even more titles in the future if this did well.

So just take a moment to digest that. We have a chance right now to do something similar with a game for Vita but the price would have to be $44.99. But we would gain access to more titles in that series and possibly other series from them.

If you do a full price release of Yakuza 5, you gotta allow us to buy more than one copy, because I'm going to at least need two!

I'd even pay 60 for an Outlast & Whistle Blower bundle. The price has no effect on my decision. It all depends on the game. Maybe you should do a poll to gauge interest per release.

Labadal

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I already own Yakuza 5, but I would have paid $60 for Yakuza 5, no doubt about it.

I'd buy stuff like Cosmic Star Heroine and Salt and Sanctuary for $25-$35 if there was a physical version.

If you do a full price release of Yakuza 5, you gotta allow us to buy more than one copy, because I'm going to at least need two!

I'd even pay 60 for an Outlast & Whistle Blower bundle. The price has no effect on my decision. It all depends on the game. Maybe you should do a poll to gauge interest per release.

I hate to keep doing this, but we need more people to tag @theredbarrels about a physical PS4 Outlast/Whistle Blower bundle. We have emailed them, tagged them, even linkedin... It's tough getting them to talk to us, we would be happy even hearing a no at this point, just something haha.

I want that game physical!

Carnby

I hate to keep doing this, but we need more people to tag @theredbarrels about a physical PS4 Outlast/Whistle Blower bundle. We have emailed them, tagged them, even linkedin... It's tough getting them to talk to us, we would be happy even hearing a no at this point, just something haha.

I want that game physical!

About a year ago I emailed Red Barrel and said "please make a retail version. I'd buy two!" They replied and said "thanks but it's not in our plans." But that was a year ago... I'll send them another email. :)

Ventara

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!! I'd buy 2 if you'd let us!

Edit: Oh, and I'd totally be fine paying $60 for the bigger games.

About a year ago I emailed Red Barrel and said "please make a retail version. I'd buy two!" They replied and said "thanks but it's not in our plans." But that was a year ago... I'll send them another email. :)

They sound pretty pro-digital, but so is Oddworld Inhabitants and they are at least listening to their fans!

I understand being pro-digital, but developers should want to preserve their game too!

Clive

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Atelier: All Vita games without physical needs to get releases.
Yakuza 5: Would pay $100.
Fatal Frame: The Wii U game needs a US region release but it's Nintendo-published so good luck.
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies, please. The Trilogy should not be a priority because they exist on DS.
Attack on Titan: Vita version needs a physical unless Asia gets one. If Asia gets one, focus on Atelier with Koei Tecmo.

Many non-Vita games aren't necessarily my thing for collecting that I would commit to, but there are plenty of games I'd pay full price for and the physical premium on $20-25 games is already fully understandable. These aren't endeavors that are trying to win over digital and used-bin/greatest-hits bargain hunters to begin with.

I'd pay full retail price for Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours for PS4/Vita. There's a physical Vita copy in Japan and it has a low language barrier, but no actual English Vita copy that's compatible with R1 DLC and no physical PS4 copy at all. Hell, I'd pay the price of the base game + the DLC's if they put them on disc and on cart.

I'd also love Strider 2014 on PS4... one of my absolute favorite modern games, but that's something owned by a big publisher obviously, not a $60 retail game, and probably not as rabid a fandom as Yakuza has. You guys are eyeing distribution in general, so why not fish for it eh?

SpotAnime

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I'd buy every one of these.

Atelier, definitely. The main reason I haven't bought the plus games yet is because they haven't been physical. So if you are using Atelier to pull interest from other Japanese developers, know you have my wallet vote.

Clive

I'd also love Strider 2014 on PS4... one of my absolute favorite modern games, but that's something owned by a big publisher obviously, not a $60 retail game, and probably not as rabid a fandom as Yakuza has. You guys are eyeing distribution in general, so why not fish for it eh?

Not sure if you know and not sure if it matters but the Japanese PS3 version of Strider is fully in English and on Blu-ray. I really loved the game too so I went ahead and imported it, after completing the superior PS4 version I got on PS+. It's 720p and 30fps on PS3 though but it looks and plays fine.

I'd have no problems buying a retail PS4 version as well though so I'm pro that idea.

jacobeid

Banned
If we released a physical HLD, that would be published the traditional route - the pricing would reflect our normal prices and it would be a part of the Limited Run Collection.

We're playing the game right now and it is absolutely fantastic. Really hoping we can sign a deal for the PS4 version.

Just throwing my weight behind this. The game is my favorite in years.

emb

So we need to ask....

Like with anything, it's on a case by case basis. Something like Phoenix Wright or Fatal Frame or Yakuza I'd be into for sure. Some things are certainly too niche for me though, so I'm not sure I'd drop 45-60 on a whim for everything. I want there to be physical copies of everything, but I have to be honest and say that I won't buy everything, even at the $25 price point.

Region lock? If you are in Europe, Fatal Frame got a physical LE release with a bunch of goodies. It may be harder to track down now, but you can probably still find it somewhere for 80€ or so.

Looks like I missed it, thanks for the info I'll look into it.

for example, if I import Digimon Cyber Sleuth from asia and download the DLCs from the EU store, I can install them because both versions use the same game ID.

I did not know about this, thank you for this little info Prelude might come in handy for those optional quest.

Slermy

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame

Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Yes, I would absolutely buy these at full price.

Do you have the capability of publishing titles released in other regions? Such as releasing the European/Japan exclusive Fatal Frame II (Wii) in the US?

Not sure if this has been posted here or not;
Limited physical release of Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! now revealed - Gaming News | Crash Landed

Info i've gathered from the above;

• Oddworld PS4 (5,000 copies), PS Vita (2,500) both $29.99 / Selling in two waves (10AM EST and 6PM EST) on April 25th
  • PS4 version ships with Alf's Escape DLC on disc, no mention of Vita so I'm assuming it doesn't get it at all, or is downloadable? Probably due to size of cart
  • You're orders are now limited to 1 copy of each game per platform, to stop scalpers
  • International shipping orders that go over 9oz (0.25kg) will be $22 instead of $15 (but it mentions that is the weight of more than 2 games, so we should be fine if just buying the games)
  • Apparently Limited Run Games lost some money on Saturday Morning RPG due to the above
  • Futuridium EP Deluxe is up next month, expected early or mid May
  • Apparently they are waiting on Mike Bithell to complete all work on Volume before setting a release for it (also PS4 version confirmed to go along with Vita)

Perhaps edit OP if possible?

Shizuka

I didn't lose Breach & Clear in 1 hour, I didn't lose Saturday Morning RPG in 5 minutes and I'll do everything in my power not to lose any of the upcoming Vita releases.

Clov

So we need to ask....

Yes, absolutely. If you're able to bring out physical copies of bigger games that only got digital releases, I'd definitely be willing to pay $45-$60.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Apart from Attack on Titan, sounds great! Especially Fatal Frame, I've been dying for a physical release of that one.

I'd be down for the the Atelier series. The digital prices for those games in Australia is horrendous (that and they take up a gigantic amount of precious memory card space).

Personally I wouldn't buy anything on 3DS or Wii U due to region locking, but I'm pretty sure there'd be more than enough demand for a physical US Fatal Frame release.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Fatal Frame is my most wanted title as it's basically the one Wii U game missing a physical release and I'm big into Wii U (over 50 games owned).

I will happily pay $80 for it and I have plenty of cash.

Next would be Yakuza 5. I have physical copies of all past Yakuza games so I'll definitely be interested in this at $60.

Finally Phone Wright. The fact that Investigations 2 didn't get a Western release and that I don't like Phoenix substituting for Apollo makes this something I'm interested in but can't promise I'll buy.

So we need to ask....

Yes. 5$ over the digital price is totally fine for a Vita physical game. I personally wont buy Yakuza because I stopped buying PS3 games but yea Im fine with 5-15$ over digital for a Vita physical release with manual etc. limited release or not.

Not sure if you know and not sure if it matters but the Japanese PS3 version of Strider is fully in English and on Blu-ray. I really loved the game too so I went ahead and imported it, after completing the superior PS4 version I got on PS+. It's 720p and 30fps on PS3 though but it looks and plays fine.

I'd have no problems buying a retail PS4 version as well though so I'm pro that idea.

I knew there was a PS3 release, but not that it was English (guess that makes sense since it was western developed by Double Helix). I don't have a PS3 anymore, but I've sometimes considered buying it anyway just for keepsakes. That and Chronicles of Mystaria. I should get a PS3 again someday just for Demon's Souls, LBP1&2, MGS4 and stuff like that.

Always good to know other people like that game too :p so underrated imo. It had room for improvement (NG+ with all abilities kept, and sequencing that could deal with that), but god damn what a bad ass game.

I played Space Invaders Extreme on PSP the other day and it made me realize how sad Attack on Titan is. I'm sorry, but that game does not deserve physical release. And I own it digitally.

• Apparently they are waiting on Mike Bithell to complete all work on Volume before setting a release for it (also PS4 version confirmed to go along with Vita)

Wow, he's going to go ahead with the PS4 release? I thought he was going to wait to see if the Vita release does ok (maybe realized it's going to sell out in under 5 minutes and waiting to see is pointless lol). I hope waiting for him to finish work on Volume doesn't mean we'll be waiting until Volume Coda is out for PS VR... but I guess it might have been that far out anyway, who knows.

I played Space Invaders Extreme on PSP the other day and it made me realize how sad Attack on Titan is. I'm sorry, but that game does not deserve physical release. And I own it digitally.

You confused me for a second. I think you meant Titan Attacks. This would be about that upcoming PS4/Vita game based on the Attack on Titan anime (awesome series), which would be a full price release.

I kinda like all the Titan games from Puppy Games, though: Revenge of the Titans, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks and Ultratron. They're cheap, but they all have a cool aesthetic style in common, and I'd buy a 4-pack on a cart if all the rest of the titles were out on PSN.

You made me realize I wish Space Invaders Infinity had been ported to Vita, though. Stuff like that, Pac-Man DX and a native Puzzle Quest would have been amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom