• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

So we need to ask....

The whole thing about us going after bigger games like Fatal Frame, Yakuza, etc, is that they wouldn't be part of the LRG line. We would just be paying to be the sole distributor basically. We would have to charge more than our normal price. For example Yakuza 5 would be $45-$60 and we would have to order at least 5,000 copies, but in some cases for other games we would order up to 10,000, maybe more.

So what we want to know is, would you honestly pay that price? We don't want people to think if we get a huge game that we can magically make the price $24.99-$30. We would have to buy these games at bulk from the publisher. BUT it would mean that a physical copy would actually exist and we would have access to even more titles in the future if this did well.

So just take a moment to digest that. We have a chance right now to do something similar with a game for Vita but the price would have to be $44.99. But we would gain access to more titles in that series and possibly other series from them.
For cases like this, maybe you could try what some do and create like a Patreon or Kickstarter of sorts so that people "pay" up front and if you reach the minimum amount then the rest is gravy (and if you don't then noone loses anything).

Like how Vic does with their relatively recent RPGs on PSP.

It would be the safest way to ensure to balance interest and demand.

So we need to ask....

The whole thing about us going after bigger games like Fatal Frame, Yakuza, etc, is that they wouldn't be part of the LRG line. We would just be paying to be the sole distributor basically. We would have to charge more than our normal price. For example Yakuza 5 would be $45-$60 and we would have to order at least 5,000 copies, but in some cases for other games we would order up to 10,000, maybe more.

So what we want to know is, would you honestly pay that price? We don't want people to think if we get a huge game that we can magically make the price $24.99-$30. We would have to buy these games at bulk from the publisher. BUT it would mean that a physical copy would actually exist and we would have access to even more titles in the future if this did well.
I'm completely down with paying regular MSRP like many other hardcore/niche gamers have stated on this forum. Glad to hear that you're aiming for the peak with your aspirations for the "most wanted" picks; however, I'm admittedly uncertain over the speculation for creating collector's sets of already restricted prints especially if it affects the amount of "vanilla" copies available to the international community. I'm probably in the minority with this perspective, but I'm ultimately happy with just getting a physical copy of a beloved game with the bare minimum packaging (no manual, one-sided cover art) which coincides with the core philosophy of this company as a publisher. Perhaps you could establish a "LRG Partners" section or catalog on the website where you briefly discuss foregoing brand awareness in favor of reveling in the opportunity to collaborate with developers in pursuit of bringing their respective properties to physical form for the world to enjoy.

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!)
Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

So yeah let us know if you'd legit buy these titles.
Atelier series - Pass. Despite favorable impressions, I'm still too unfamiliar with these RPGs to pull the trigger.
Yakuza 5 - Yes. Easily the "sore thumb" in my own collection with Sega jumping back on board with retail following its digital release. Already have a Japanese import, too.
Fatal Frame V - Yes. Nearly took the leap on a PAL import even though I couldn't experience it as a result of region-lock.
Phoenix Wright - Probably. I'm not too passionate about the Nintendo brand, but the first game was a blast on the NDS and I'd kick myself for passing on a limited run here.
Attack on Titan - I presume you're referring to Humanity in Chains for the 3DS? If so, I'd probably pass since the PS4/XBO game covers my interest in the property.

On the related note of Strider, I believe Capcom could offer some interesting possibilities with their resume given Okami HD, Darkstalkers Resurrection and Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition never went beyond Asian territories with a disc variant to the best of my knowledge.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
On the related note of Strider, I believe Capcom could offer some interesting possibilities with their resume given Okami HD, Darkstalkers Resurrection and Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition never went beyond Asian territories with a disc variant to the best of my knowledge.

Ooo those are some good choices! It's amazing that Capcom was unhappy with sales of Darkstalkers, when all we got was a DD version of it :/ (I did buy it for like $3 on a sale, though).

So we need to ask....

So just take a moment to digest that. We have a chance right now to do something similar with a game for Vita but the price would have to be $44.99. But we would gain access to more titles in that series and possibly other series from them.

We would love to go after things like,

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

For the right game, yes. $45-60 for Yakuza 5 physical (English) copy I'd buy.

The others no due to either region locks or disinterest. I suppose you know how much of your business is non US though.

You confused me for a second. I think you meant Titan Attacks. This would be about that upcoming PS4/Vita game based on the Attack on Titan anime (awesome series), which would be a full price release.

I kinda like all the Titan games from Puppy Games, though: Revenge of the Titans, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks and Ultratron. They're cheap, but they all have a cool aesthetic style in common, and I'd buy a 4-pack on a cart if all the rest of the titles were out on PSN.

You made me realize I wish Space Invaders Infinity had been ported to Vita, though. Stuff like that, Pac-Man DX and a native Puzzle Quest would have been amazing.

I'm an idiot and you win. Really.

eXistor

I think you can safely say these kind of releases, whatever game it is, are gonna sell out. It's generally gonna be collectors and, unfortunately, scalpers that are gonna buy these releases.

gpn

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Atelier series - yes for vita plus versions
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - YES! Would happily pay $60+ (the same if you could get the Wii version of Fatal Frame 2)
Phoenix Wright Trilogy, Dual Destinies - yes

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

I'd totally get Phoenix Wright (I assume it's Dual Destinies), my max price would be $40, maybe $50 if it was a LE with some cool extras.

Olengie

Ooo those are some good choices! It's amazing that Capcom was unhappy with sales of Darkstalkers, when all we got was a DD version of it :/ (I did buy it for like $3 on a sale, though).

I imported a copy from JPN. I wish Japan also did a physical release of the other HD Fighting compilations.

Finnroth

I would most certainly pay full retail price for games like Ace Attorney or Yakuza 5, basically most high profile games without a physical release - as long as I can play them (3DS being region locked).

Razlo

So we need to ask....

Just do what Gaijinworks did and check interest in a title with a survey. If the minimum amount is hit, you can then start taking orders for it. I'd definitely pay for a physical Yakuza release

Tapejara

So we need to ask....

Late replying to this, but for me I think it depends on shipping costs in the end. Have you guys announced the new shipping prices yet (I think you said they had to be changed due to USPS changing their rates?)?

I'm already down for just about anything you guys put out, but with a low CAD and potentially higher shipping costs I might have to skip the bigger releases. I'd def pay the premium for Yakuza 5 and Fatal Frame though...

c-murph

So we need to ask....

Move ahead. Test the waters man. I'm all in for it. If it turns out that it doesn't work out then go back to Indie. But the LRG logo on the physical game speaks for itself. People want whats "Rare". They're going to want whatever you offer to them. Maybe it won't sell out over night but it will eventually.

The Atelier series (there are a bunch that never got physical!) Yes every single one of them
Yakuza 5 Nah
Fatal Frame Nah
Phoenix Wright Nah
Attack On Titan Yes, I like the idea of newer games being released.

So the response is pretty clear. We're going to try and move forward with the partner we're talking to. It's an expensive deal but we're going to try and make it work. If we pull this off the door will be wide open for other partners.

Shizuka

So the response is pretty clear. We're going to try and move forward with the partner we're talking to. It's an expensive deal but we're going to try and make it work. If we pull this off the door will be wide open for other partners.

Yes, more physical games from Koei Tecmo!
Judging from what we've seen so far, no insider knowledge here.

Prelude.

I hope it's a good pick because you/we need it to be a success.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
What do you think about Samurai Warriors 4 Empires or Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate?

Clov

Excellent! Hope everything works out!

Looking forward to some Koei Tecmo announcements in the future.

Yes, more physical games from Koei Tecmo!
Judging from what we've seen so far, no insider knowledge here.

I was going to ask why you guys assumed Koei-Tecmo but the I realized that two of the four individual games were made by them and they publish the Atelier series.

If it's an expensive deal it's probably them.

Not interested in Titan and Atlier as I posted earlier but super excited if Fatal Frame can come over. I would gladly pay $80 for a copy.

Cynn

Please let that partner be SEGA. I need Yakuza 5 on my shelf. And make them rerelease Shenmue 1&2 on PS4 so they are ready to sit beside part 3. :)

I was going to ask why you guys assumed Koei-Tecmo but the I realized that two of the four individual games were made by them and they publish the Atelier series.

If it's an expensive deal it's probably them.

Not interested in Titan and Atlier as I posted earlier but super excited if Fatal Frame can come over. I would gladly pay $80 for a copy.

I mainly just assume because Koei Tecmo has actually publicly expressed interest (through a QA they had) in having some of their games have physical prints. The fact that they've said something shows the option is possibly there, unlike Nintendo of America (Fatal Frame 5)/Sega (Yakuza 5)/Capcom (Phoenix Wright). Out of those 3 companies and Koei Tecmo, I would honestly expect Nintendo to be the last to let anyone have a shot at releasing a physical version of a game they've already released and passed on a physical print themselves.

That and I've been paying attention to what people have posted in this thread and others, which it seems like Koei Tecmo and Atelier is by far the leading choice out of the current options.

So we need to ask....

Of course! I haven't paid $60 for a game in a long time thanks to GCU but I don't mind as long as it means I'd be able to have them on my shelf. I'm assuming Fatal Frame would be the most difficult game to get on that list but I'd definitely pay $60 for a physical NTSC-U copy of the game. I'd also buy Yakuza 5 for $60.

I mainly just assume because Koei Tecmo has actually publicly expressed interest (through a QA they had) in having some of these games have physical prints. The fact that they've said something shows the option is possibly there, unlike Nintendo (Fatal Frame 5)/Sega (Yakuza 5)/Capcom (Phoenix Wright). Out of those 3 companies and Koei Tecmo, I would honestly expect Nintendo to be the last to let anyone have a shot at releasing a physical version of a game they've already released and passed on a physical print themselves.

That and I've been paying attention to what people have posted in this thread and others, which it seems like Koei Tecmo and Atelier is by far the leading choice out of the current options.

Actually Nintendo has the most evidence to let another company publish games they have physically released in other regions.

See Xseed with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. There were also strong rumors (Siliconera basically published an article saying so) that Devil's Third was going to be published by Xseed.

Moofers

So we need to ask.....
Let me just say that I have no problem paying $60 for a game, even on Vita, if it's one that I really want that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere else.

So far, you haven't had any games I've wanted, but I'm following LRG closely because I think eventually that day will come and I don't want to miss it. Price is not the issue, selection is what I'm about. Nothing against what you've accomplished so far because I think you're doing collectors a great service, but other than Oddworld I've been largely unfamiliar with the lineup so far. Netting Fatal Frame (for example) would give you guys your first major name that's long been associated with both quality and rarity. Games like that are a different ballgame. There are different rules with what people would spend because there's a legacy there that doesn't exist with something like Saturday Morning RPG. Not to slight that game, just trying to give an example.

You have a lot of people's attention. Higher prices don't scare the people that want to collect. :)

Actually Nintendo has the most evidence to let another company publish games they have physically released in other regions.

See Xseed with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. There were also strong rumors (Siliconera basically published an article saying so) that Devil's Third was going to be published by Xseed.

Yes but this is a different situation, they already published the game in NA themselves (digital-only, but still). Who knows if they'd be up for this.

Clive

Koei Tecmo has too though, multiple times with NISA. They even have a pre-order up at NISA's online store right now, Atelier Sophie (PS4).

KT did actually allow a third party to publish a limited print of an Atelier game just months ago on the Vita, Atelier Escha & Logy, so it's really not far fetched thinking it could happen again. With Nintendo on the other hand there was a rare exception with the Rainfall games, unprecedented in the company history. Something that also likely was much larger in scale and also good publicity for the company.

Man, I'd love Fatal Frame V but I don't think it's realistic until LRG has some major successful releases behind them to even discuss it. I'd love to be wrong though.

Carnby

My wallet is ready. Good luck!

Fisty

I dont think you'd have any issue selling 5k copies of Fatal Frame or Yakuza games. With Yakuza 5 you could probably even do 10k, and half the sales would probably be just for collecting. Any more than that though, youll probably end up with extra stock on your hands. Just my educated guess

Ventara

Well, I'm excited. You can count on my support when the time comes. Would love to see you guys grow and do more/faster releases with a wider range of titles.

Shinriji

If a small startup company actually can pull this off, older pubs like gaijinworks are definetly sleeping on their jobs.

Wereroku

If a small startup company actually can pull this off, older pubs like gaijinworks are definetly sleeping on their jobs.

Vic is still trying to get as many psp games made before they are killed. Once he switches over to PSV/PS4 the output will probably be a lot better. Also Vic likes to reach for the stars with special editions and super glossy manuals. LRG seems a bit more conservative. They are different styles and I appreciate that they both exist.

Yakuza 5
Fatal Frame
Phoenix Wright
Attack On Titan

Yes, absolutely. Even a basic manual would be great but having them physical for full price is OK.

blacksark

Futuridium may 9 2000+ 2000 copies.
I mean 2000 copies for ps4 and 2000 for ps vita.
Are there any differences between both versions?.

zulux21

The clock is ticking though. Vita production won't last as long as the PSP, for sure.

vita production actually might be around for a long time. If sony doesn't move on to another handheld it could extend the life of the vita in japan quite a bit and companies that are happy publishing on there might continue to publish on there for a unusually long time.

I mean it's not like the vita does horrible numbers in japan. you are still looking at around 15-20k console sales a week and a nearly 5 million install base there (less than one million behind the combined ps4+WiiU+xbox one sales in japan) which could keep people publishing on the vita for a while, which would leave at least one place open to print vita games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom