• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari":smileywink:, I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

mt14.quickshareit.com/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
yasser
psn id : solid08

At least the guy was really cool about it. This sucks, though - I can't imagine how many discs have been printed... and they all have to be trashed? Jeez, what a tough break.

painey

chewit.jpg

Satan done got me on this song, eating a hot dog reading the Holy Qu'ran, while I'm on the john.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The people who already have this game must be lucky. Their copy is gonna be very rare.

Well...maybe.

Durante

Fuck delusional idiots for ruining everyone else's fun since they can't have any.
Fuck SCEE for giving in to a few bullies.

GreekWolf said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster: 1 Reality: 0
Exactly.

traveler

Not Wario
:(

I don't have any idea as to when I'll play this now. I've got two projects due that week, Gears of War 2 comes, Quantum of Solace comes out, and, most importantly, Wrath of the Lich King comes out the SAME EXACT day. Christmas gift it is, I suppose.

jax (old)

Banned
1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

WHAT THE FUCK. both statements are really extreme with reallyy negative connotations.

?!?!?!

harSon

Banned
Aeris130 said:
So, you can't say the same sentances that can be found in the Qur'an? Is it a copyright issue? I don't see how those two sentances goes against the Qur'an, or anything else for that matter...

They're just stating the obvious.

I'm not an expert but I recall it being blasphemous to erect statues of Islamic figures. I'm guessing this is similar?

jjasper

Jax said:
WHAT THE FUCK. both statements are really extreme with reallyy negative connotations.

?!?!?!

Yeah how in the world did they allow that to be in the game. Sucks though guess I will play something else instead while I wait.

Jax said:

?!?!?!

They both seem like factual statements, depending on your interpretation of "soul." Definitely not negative or extreme. Basically, everyone dies. Not the sort of cherry-picking of quotes that makes religion look really silly.

This should not be a problem.

Ferrio

Banned
Hrm, if legit may give me reason to not pick it up. I love the game, but delaying the game because of this rubs me the wrong way.

dionysus

Yaldog
I'd be banned to say what I really think. Excellent that the dude included his PSN ID. I am sure his messge inbox is already full.

edgefusion

So you're telling me that the extra damage this is going to do the environment (what with the expense of the recall and re-shipment, more packaging, discs, machinery at work etc.) is worth it to spare a few cuddly-wuddly feelings? This world is so fucked up.

Mdk7

i have to shut up, it's better not to write what i'm thinking at the moment.
Let's say it's just "SURREAL", Islam is getting really really powerful these days.

dionysus

Yaldog
DMPrince said:
We should go find something religiously offensive in other games that haven't been released yet :lol.

How about every game that takes the Lord's name in vain or curses with it. It doesn't offend me, but I bet about 5% of games have that.

CoG

dionysus said:
I'd be banned to say what I really think. Excellent that the dude included his PSN ID. I am sure his messge inbox is already full.

His account is long gone. I think Sony changed it for him because he already received a mountain of hate mail.

DeadGzuz

Banned
The song in question is sweet too.

Sony should give the religious morons the middle finger and make the song the official game song. This is pissing me off.

I'm going to take a piss on a Bible and Koran to make myself feel better...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Jax said:

?!?!?!

Well, LBP is anything but pure if you really look at it, and where it's coming from.

Cheez-It

Salmonax said:
Easy, tough guy.

There is a difference between finding patience an important virtue, and being a tough guy. Tough guys usually get angry and so forth. I'm just getting a jolly chuckle out of this outrage.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What's funny is not that those lines are offending, but rather that "We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending".

Basically u cannot sing those lines.

harSon

Banned
Mdk7 said:
i have to shut up, it's better not to write what i'm thinking at the moment.
Let's say it's just "SURREAL", Islam is getting really really powerful these days.

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking...

/facepalm

Treo360

Schrade said:
What. The. Fuck????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is so wrong about some phrases from some book? Is it forbidden to utter the phrases or something?

Offensive to some muslim gamers I guess.

You'd think they'd want to promote that religion. All for the best, the next thing you would've heard is some Christian group claiming that Sony & MM were trying to promote "radical islam."

Geez, religious fanatics are so freaking silly.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why can't that make an OPTIONAL patch?

Cause I hear quotes all the time from the bible... and... it doesn't piss anyone off?

kenta

Has no PEINS
The song is apparently a licensed track from a Muslim guy. The problem appears to be that the vast majority of Muslims take offense to words in the Quran being recited to music, they feel it's too holy for such a thing. Or something.

Jim

I guess a patch wouldn't be all-inclusive enough to fix the issue.

/me hugs his now limited-edition sealed copy

Top Bottom