• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
People can make threats against sony, either fiscally or physically, but no one can make sony change it unless sony wants to.

Sony is doing this out of respect to Muslims and the Quran because they realize that it's inappropriate for verses that a large part of the population holds sacred to be placed in that context and it's something they would not have done had they known before printing the discs. It's just a respect thing. Obviously it sucks for MM, Sony, and gamers for the extra delay.

jmonteiro

I can't believe Sony will recall the retails disks and produce new disks. That would be really stupid and unnecessary. I think they will just patch the game and they force retailers to hold the disk until they have a patch ready on PSN.

As soon as they have a patch ready they will allow retailers to sell the disks.

PS3 game patches CAN be made mandatory (and most of them are) and force you to patch prior to launch the game, so I will be really surprised if Sony recalls all the disks. Why spend all that money?

MGrant

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

We artists consider the censorship of someone's creative work deeply offending. We hope you will add that track back into the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk contain it.

Guys, I'm reading Yasser's post over and over again, and I'm not seeing where he's "bullying" or "threatening" Sony.

He politely asked them to remove it. That isn't "living in fear."

harSon

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Fuck them too. If something offends you, choose not to purchase it.

I'm just trying to make sense of Sony's decision, I'd imagine an online patch and the removal of the song from all future pressings would have been adequate.

I don't care about or even like LBP, but this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Christianity and other religions have had to put up with the entertainment industry broadly mocking their beliefs for decades, centuries. My shock isn't so much that two lines from a text can cause outrage, it's the bizarre politically correct spinning that's going to cost who knows how much money.

MrHicks

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
People can make threats against sony, either fiscally or physically, but no one can make sony change it unless sony wants to.

Sony is doing this out of respect to Muslims and the Quran because they realize that it's inappropriate for verses that a large part of the population holds sacred to be placed in that context and it's something they would not have done had they known before printing the discs. It's just a respect thing. Obviously it sucks for MM, Sony, and gamers for the extra delay.

its NOT a respect thing
sony learned their lesson from denmark

they wanna avoid a shitstorm out of FEAR not respect for the quran or any of that bullshit

Amon37

jmonteiro said:
PS3 game patches CAN be made mandatory (and most of them are) and force you to patch prior to launch the game, so I will be really surprised if Sony recalls all the disks. Why spend all that money?

Not if you aren't connected to the net.

Ferrio

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay guys, lay off the religious shit, or your GAF account might meet its maker sooner than later. :/

Lay off the religious shit? This whole thing is over a religious issue, why aren't people allowed to discuss it? It's people treating this as such a touchy issue that leads to this crap in the first place. It's great to respect people's religions, but when your beliefs start to restrict other people's lives then it gets frustrating.

spwolf

Cocopjojo said:
No copyright issues - if you read that guys' post, he's just saying that it is offensive to Muslims to have any part of the Qur'an quoted outside of a holy context. This is understandable.

yes, but it is done by Mali musician (muslim), who is world famous and has won an grammy, and song was released 2 years ago and can be purchased on Amazon or listened through last.fm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toumani_Diabaté

Diabate.jpg

Johann

Saren is Bad said:
This cannot be serious...so close to a release date to push it three weeks when you can just patch it? People need to quit getting pissy over simple stuff, the Muslims that were offended need to suck it up so that everyone else doesnt have to suffer the consequences of their babyish attitutdes. Seriously...wtf?

Sony probably wants everything to go right for LBP. When Bioshock suffered from the DRM, widescreen, and broken collector's edition issues, 2K Games went to great lengths (free soundtrack, replacement figurines, etc) so that the game's reputation wasn't hurt.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Airkiru said:
It shouldn't have been in the game in the first place, they brought this upon themselves. It's good that they're taking immediate action though, I'd imagine things would be worse if they decided to leave it alone.

After playing the beta, I don't really care about the delay. So, bleh. :D

How did they bring it upon themselves? The song is on itunes and zune store and a very good one. Its my favorite song from the game. They do not have someone looking for quran quotes in all their songs....
but it is done by Mali musician (muslim), who is world famous and has won an grammy, and song was released 2 years ago and can be purchased on Amazon or listened through last.fm.

Shiggy

MGrant said:
To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

We artists consider the censorship of someone's creative work deeply offending. We hope you will add that track back into the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk contain it.

Don't you fear the bombs?

xintin

harSon said:
I'm just trying to make sense of Sony's decision, I'd imagine an online patch and the removal of the song from all future pressings would have been adequate.
in this gen? good luck with that.

Yasser should become a banned word now, I hate it that much ;.;

Coins

Banned
If a game was recalled due to some part of it offending some, we would be left with some shit like Minesweeper.

Wait, even Minesweeper would be banned cuz Zombie Princess Dianna would be offended.

X26

Banned
Rediculous. I can't really blame Sony though, given what's happened in the past with other companies

Scooter

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay guys, lay off the religious shit, or your GAF account might meet its maker sooner than later. :/

That doesn't make any sense. The thread is about religion, how are we supposed not to talk about the subject of the thread?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
EmCeeGramr said:
Guys, I'm reading Yasser's post over and over again, and I'm not seeing where he's "bullying" or "threatening" Sony.

He politely asked them to remove it. That isn't "living in fear."

Yeah. It's more a matter of Sony being idiots as usual about how they handle a crisis. They should have acknowledge the problem and just restock with fixed copy. Recall only on territories sensible to this.

Hawk269

jmonteiro said:
I can't believe Sony will recall the retails disks and produce new disks. That would be really stupid and unnecessary. I think they will just patch the game and they force retailers to hold the disk until they have a patch ready on PSN.

As soon as they have a patch ready they will allow retailers to sell the disks.

But that would only work if EVERY Ps3 was on-line, which even with a free service, not all users connect the Ps3 on-line. Because of the nature of the issue, they cannot release it due to the references. Even with a patch, the issue still remains that it can still be played with the lyrics if the user does not patch the game.

Zophar

Choke on the Magic said:
Islam has to be the most butt hurt faith on the planet.
Nah, that'd be judaism. They're still pretty sore about that holocaust thing. Sheesh, we said we were sorry....

Pretty cool that the opinion of a few overly sensitive people is more important than the happiness of hundreds of thousands of normal people. You have to love the way our society works. If you write a letter, suddenly you have an insane amount of power. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Jim said:
100% of the people do not play online, even with games that have a heavy amount of online functionality, so not everyone would get the patch. Thus leaving the door open for complaints anyway.

Then they can wait and get the q'uran free version if it offends them so much.

Zeliard

Ferrio said:
Lay off the religious shit? This whole thing is over a religious issue, why aren't people allowed to discuss it? It's people treating this as such a touchy issue that leads to this crap in the first place. It's great to respect people's religions, but when your beliefs start to restrict other people's lives then it gets frustrating.

He's probably referring to the painting of an entire religion with one brush due to the actions of a few (and in this case, apparently, just one). Islam is already villified to a ridiculous extent, particularly in the U.S.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Scooter said:
That doesn't make any sense. The thread is about religion, how are we supposed not to talk about the subject of the thread?
I guess he's talking about people eventually attacking Muslims and/or religious beliefs.
And he's right.

Top Bottom