• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Fucking ridiculous...but those are some fucked up ass lines to take from the quran. What the hell is level 3 about? I didn't know LBP was so violent lol.

duckroll

xintin said:
the track is being censored because of religious beliefs though. thats the only reason this thread exists.

this duck has lost a fucking wheel.

Then this thread shall no longer exist. Feel free to start one in OT discussing about religion affecting LBP.

The duck rolls on! :D

Roxas said:
I'm offended that a muslim would get offended over this.

This, but then again being a former-Muslim I know how things can be. I'm not surprised, but I feel a part of my soul will be missing for the next month.

And damn all you guys who got early copies! :p

Clipjoint

This is going to generate a LOT of press for the game. The mainstream media will cover this story, and it'll sell shitloads of extra copies. Don't blame all Muslims that one guy complained - this was a win-win scenario for Sony.

MGrant

Reposted from the aborted OT thread:

The thing I don't get is this: after talking with a few Muslim friends about this, they agree that the only adherents to Islam that would truly care about this are from low-education, highly fundamentalist groups. So isn't this akin to censoring a game that contains something that offends the Westboro Baptist Church (read: almost anything)? And, in doing so, doesn't Sony legitimize the irrationality of these groups?

Pellham

Banned
:lol

it is so goddamn STUPID to remove the lyrics. it's not like wahabbi fundamentalist muslims are even going to be playing the game in the first place since they consider "western" electronics to be evil.

for what it's worth, i blame sony for this stupid decision, and not any particular ethnic group or religion.

also, those actual lyrics/phrases are so freakin awesome, who cares if they're from the qu'ran? they should be in every video game somewhere.

Clipjoint said:
This is going to generate a LOT of press for the game. The mainstream media will cover this story, and it'll sell shitloads of extra copies. Don't blame all Muslims that one guy complained - this was a win-win scenario for Sony.

He's like Judas in the 'Gospel of Judas' Jesus continuity!

Jim

lol.. reposting:

MM updated their post a bit. So fingers crossed. SCEA has NOT made an announcement.

As some of you may have noticed, LBP has been slightly delayed in some territories. At MM we were as shocked and dismayed by this as anyone - shellshocked and gutted. We can’t wait for you all to get playing and creating!

"[EDIT Sony are going to announce new dates and information re discs for each territory soon. We’ll keep you posted! The patch is ready from our side and I imagine it will go live at the same time as the game. More info when we get it. ] "

Clipjoint said:

this x 1000!

Wollan

Clipjoint said:
This is going to generate a LOT of press for the game. The mainstream media will cover this story, and it'll sell shitloads of extra copies.
I don't know. I'm not sure if all parents will lean as easily towards it now with messages of hate, muslim anger..etc.

I have saved a selection of posts from this thread and will be deploying them next time there's a thread complaining about racist kids online.

Clipjoint said:
I'd be surprised if anyone other than enthusiast sites/mags covered this.

If it actually released with the "objectionable" material maybe.

charlequin said:
Lots of common sense.

Probably the only rational posts in this whole mess of a thread. I can't be the only person who sees the irony of people overreacting to a 3 week delay, complaining about Muslim's overreacting. There's more zealoutry in this thread than in the original 'complainers' email to Sony.

Oh, for crying out loud. If Jesus is revered in Islam as a prophet, then perhaps it's time to take some of his advice...

Luke 6:29 said:
If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic.

In other words: don't get so easily offended and just roll with it.

mr_nothin

Banned
duckroll said:
Then this thread shall no longer exist. Feel free to start one in OT discussing about religion affecting LBP.

The duck rolls on! :D
How is discussing how religion affects LBP not about gaming?

EDIT:
Go EviLore!

Dunlop

Clipjoint said:

I don't see how any religious controversy over the new Sony mascot could be good for Sony.

Selling to us, sure.

Selling to families with that kind of stigma, not so much.

Hopefully the press will push how responsible Sony is being in this and that spins it in Sony's favor

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Clipjoint said:

Yes it could work in their favor by giving the game more exposure. People will take a bigger look at the gameplay and creativity.

Tideas

Banned
EviLore said:
Gaming news is gaming news. Should not be in OT.

the voice of reason. This is madness.

No. This isn't madness. THIS IS ISLAM!

Honestly, it's guys like this that gives Islam a bad name. I think Islam is a perfect reasonable religion. Some people...they just take it too far.

Jim

Dunlop said:
I don't see how any religious controversy over the new Sony mascot could be good for Sony.

It's background music in the game, and apparently not especially easy to make out. Sackboy isnt running around quoting the Qur'an.

Ferrio

Banned
Kagari said:
The real question is... if this was never pointed out, would any of you or the average person cared?

I'm curious if the guy who originally pointed it out is pissed it's push back since he just asked for a patch.

X26

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
This isn't about fear of offending a religious group, its fear of terrorism. So sad...

Yea, which is why sony has no choice but to act. The extremists are looking for any excuse possibly to incite verbal and physical attacks

Manager

Roxas said:
New release date will be same day as Lich King?

omg.gif

More like if it's delayed in the US too, it should hit the same day as:
WoW: Lich King
Call of Duty: World at War
Mirror's Edge
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

715keq.gif

That is a lot of promising games on the same day damn, with or without LBP.

Jim said:
It's background music in the game, and apparently not especially easy to make out. Sackboy isnt running around quoting the Qur'an.

But I'm pretty certain he will be now. Sackboy will be very disrespectful now.

Dunlop

Jim said:

I know that, I mean a parent who remembers religous controversy over a title when doing the Christmas shopping, more than likely they will not remember the details.

again, this hasn't been reported yet by a media outlet

/fingers crossed

ymmv

Banned
Clipjoint said:

Nevermind the fact that they have to recall about a million copies , destroy them, press another million copies and ship them again. Also think of all the LBP-PS3-packs that also need a recall because a gamedisk has to be replaced. This will cost Sony a couple of million dollars at least, all because of the fear of angering muslims in a global marketplace.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
But seriously, push this game back to Wrath of the Lich King time and you've pretty much told me not to buy the game. =( There's no way I'd be able to play it! :lol

Top Bottom