• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

xintin

Ferrio said:
I'm curious if the guy who originally pointed it out is pissed it's push back since he just asked for a patch.
im guessing he already has it, since that song wasnt in the beta.

Manager said:
More like if it's delayed in the US too, it should hit the same day as:
WoW: Lich King
Call of Duty: World at War
Mirror's Edge
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

715keq.gif

That is a lot of promising games on the same day damn, with or without LBP.

Sounds like LBP sales may be the real victim here.

Mahadev

Dunlop said:
Hopefully the press will push how responsible Sony is being in this and that spins it in Sony's favor

Hopefully they expose Sony for the cowards they are. Delaying a game I've been waiting for so long because of some lyrics only some fundies will get angry about shows how pathetic they are. Giving in to religious insanity isn't responsible it's stupid.

For me, Im going to GS today (unless they dont delay) and moving my payed of LBP to FarCry2, especially if it is to November 14th. Ill have Gears, Fallout 3, and Fable 2, and NXE at that time so I'll be set. I'll still buy the game, but this delay has affected the time at which I do it very much.

Oni Jazar

ymmv said:
Nevermind the fact that they have to recall about a million copies , destroy them, press another million copies and ship them again. Also think of all the LBP-PS3-packs that also need a recall because a gamedisk has to be replaced. This will cost Sony a couple of million dollars at least, all because of the fear of angering muslims in a global marketplace.

Holy shit good point about the bundles. What the heck are they gonna do?

bluemax

Banned
Wario64 said:
The people who already have this game must be lucky. Their copy is gonna be very rare.

Well...maybe.

Who wants to buy a copy of slightly used LBP with Muslim offending songs in tact? I'll sell mine for $100.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ymmv said:
Nevermind the fact that they have to recall about a million copies , destroy them, press another million copies and ship them again. Also think of all the LBP-PS3-packs that also need a recall because a gamedisk has to be replaced. This will cost Sony a couple of million dollars at least, all because of the fear of angering muslims in a global marketplace.

They will probably also go back to the artist (of the song) and sadly tell them that they won't be using the song, which ruins their day and the chance for more exposure.

=/

I feel sorry for any GAFer who would rather burn through another WoW expansion than play LBP. YOU HAVE NO SOUL

You're right. Blizzard took it awhile back.

Firewire

Banned
If they think this is offensive I can only imagine the stuff people will make in the game because of this. Its a sad situation all around.

DMeisterJ said:
I'm sad.

I think I might go cut myself. :'(

Let me sing a song to help brighten your mood...

*clears throats*

Every soul shall have the taste of death!

All that is on earth shall periiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!

Firewire said:
If they think this is offensive I can only imagine the stuff people will make in the game because of this. Its a sad situation all around.

Even when they do it will get flagged as offensive and kept offline. Won't make it easy for whoever has to moderate it though.

Clipjoint

If anything, blame Sony for delaying the game. There's no chance people would have been rioting in the streets over this - they just would have been forced to deal with complaints from some overly sensitive religious whackos, like they did with Resistance.

Rad Agast

TTP said:
What's funny is not that those lines are offending, but rather that "We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending".

Basically u cannot sing those lines.

Why is that funny?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sony are going to announce new dates and information re discs for each territory soon. We’ll keep you posted! The patch is ready from our side and I imagine it will go live at the same time as the game. More info when we get it.

mediamolecule

charlequin said:
Nobody "bullied" or "threatened" Sony in any way. (Certainly not any abstract mass consisting of "those people" or any of the other stereotyping labels people are using to compare this to the Danish cartoons situation.) Someone contacted Sony and informed them that something that was unintentionally offensive had slipped into the game because no one noticed it, and Sony responded by dealing with the situation.

Is it fair to blame "Muslims" for this? No. The fact that the Quran is holy to Muslims and its text should not be used outside of a holy context is well-known; this has happened at least four times to different games, and every time it was easily avoidable by simply checking out the material being included before it was used.

Is it fair to blame Media Molecule for this? No. Their game is intended to be a fun, family game that's not political but instead lets different people join together in the joy of creation and play. They're not being "censored"; they're honestly removing content that doesn't fit with the purpose of their game in order to keep the focus on what LBP is really about.

Is it fair to blame Sony for this? Well, maybe: a patch (plus altered repressings of the game) should have been enough to deal with this situation to everyone's satisfaction, so a delay was probably not actually necessary.

Anyway, part of being in a free society is that people are allowed to protest and petition for the change of things they don't like. You can't act to protect creator's rights to express themselves while objecting to critics also expressing themselves. In an ideal situation, one of two things happens:

* Content is released, critics complain, creator decides that the offensive part wasn't actually part of their true creative vision, they change it, everyone's happy.

* Content is released, critics complain, creator decides that the offensive part was part of their true creative vision, sticks to their guns, critics continue to object, nobody's really happy but everyone got to express themselves freely in the marketplace of ideas.

This case is just situation #1, so please stop throwing around words like "bullying" and "censorship."

All that needs to be said.

tribal24 said:
i thinkthey should just ship the game-_-
technically they already did. it's going to cost them to recall all the copies. that's the daft part. especially when a patch and subsequent removal of the content in the next run of the game would have covered things.

LBP moderation off to a bad start.

It's a fucking song that has been released for 2 years now. I can't wait to see what the do when they will discover all the penis/911/school shootings levels. probably close all the servers down.

sphinx

the piano man
Kagari said:
The real question is... if this was never pointed out, would any of you or the average person cared?

let's say the game takes off with the average gamer, humans age 5 to 35.

2 years later this info comes out with some headline:

" Little Big Planet support muslim, fundamentalist ideas taken from the Qur'an about death for people on earth "

do you think sony wants that to happen? it would be the biggest image catastrophe for a game ever.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rapping Granny said:
LBP moderation off to a bad start.

It's a fucking song that has been released for 2 years now. I can't wait to see what the do when they will discover all the penis/911/school shootings levels. probably close all the servers down.
yeah this really is a bad start.

Dunlop

Mahadev said:
Hopefully they expose Sony for the cowards they are. Delaying a game I've been waiting for so long because of some lyrics only some fundies will get angry about shows how pathetic they are. Giving in to religious insanity isn't responsible it's stupid.

If they don't do this and some extremist group uses it as their next cause than any hopes for LBP to be anything greater than this one game will be dead.

they had no choice

I don't think Sony is doing this because they're worried about offending anyone. Little Big Planet is an E rated game in America, and probably the equivalent elsewhere. Those lyrics, whether they're from the Quaran or not, would probably disqualify it from being E rated, and move it to at least T. They're just trying to avoid a Hot Coffee like debacle.

itxaka

Defeatist
probably all of you guys complaining about this were the same that flagged the World Trade Centers levels in the game.

If there are complains they have to do something.

More time for other games then, it's not the end of the world.

near

Gold Member
Is it really that hard to understand why this individual asked Sony to remove the song? He found it offensive, and many other people would have aswell. Is it hard to acknowledge peoples beliefs? It's quite pathetic that some of you are throwing a tantrum, over a game that is still getting released.

The real question is... if this was never pointed out, would any of you or the average person cared?

Ofcourse not, unless it was brought to our attention. Someone else would have notice regardless, and the problem would have still remained.

AVclub

This whole recall business is bullshit. With the number of games quoting the bible and in fact bastardizing religion for their own narrative purposes, two lines of lyrics should not be made into such a big deal just because they are from a religion book.

Things on this world only have a holy meaning if people give it to them. Video games are entertainment. This game in particular is light-hearted fun for the whole family. There's simply no reason to take offense from it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Paznos said:
Man Sony this will only hurt sales :(

This.

I can't help to think that with so many games coming out in Nov. that people might pass on it till later, me being included. Sad times...

Tieno

Count Dookkake said:
Let me sing a song to help brighten your mood...

*clears throats*

Every soul shall have the taste of death!

All that is on earth shall periiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!
:lol

Top Bottom