• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

Raist

Banned
m0dus said:
but that blame falls to SONY, not to the people who may be potentially offended.

Dude seriously. THe song is already published.

I mean, you create a game, hear a cool song, that is widely available, would it seriously cross your mind that the said song could be offensive to some people ? And it's not even obvious, it's in arabic, and the lines themselves or not especially bad or something.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
xbhaskarx said:
Since it's out in the Middle East, you have the offensive version of LBP right?
Just mail that to me now and I'll mail you a copy of the censored version you requested in a week.

fixed

Nafai1123

Banned
NSider said:
I didn't mean to do it but here goes:

I'm sorry for partially causing a one week delay of LittleBigPlanet. I'm sorry Sony has to go through all the trouble of pulling the game from stores and replacing them with patched versions. I definitely know what it feels like to have a game delayed.

The possibility that Sony would delay the game didn't even cross my mind. I thought that they will do nothing about it for weeks then quietly release a patch much later.

I'm sorry. :(

Send me your copy and I'll forgive you.

Ponn

Banned
Loudninja said:
I think people are mad at the fact that they were so very close in getting the game.

AND the fact others have got their copies already

AND the fact that the person who whined about it already has their copy in their hands, early to boot

AND the fact that said person if used his brain and waited a couple weeks could have avoided this shitstorm by preorders being out

Costanza

Banned
Blu_LED said:
This is what I come home to? THIS??!!

You have to be fucking kidding.
That's how I felt until the first store I called said they had one copy left. Then I fucking raced there and paid 90 bucks for it.

Wurm

Banned
Wait, a predominately Nintendo-based GAF member is the one responsible? Is this some kind of sick joke. I expected that original post from some kind sort of casual player who heard the music, but not someone that could have fucking googled or looked up the track themselves knowing the games track-list and how games are made.

What the shit. Way to go you fuck.

This whole ordeal gives me an absolutely HORRIBLE feeling about how they're going to treat the user generated content. Anything offensive? Deleted. Do it enough and you'll probably get banned. If they're willing to spend a few hundred thousand dollars to reprint the game you can damn well be sure they'll be willing to ban you over it.

distrbnce

Banned
Zeliard said:
It simply takes one or a combination of the following:

Muslim
Islam
Arab

Anyone who thinks the reaction to this would have been nearly as vitriolic had the guy been a Christian or a Jew is deluding themselves. There's a palpable animosity towards those from the Middle East particularly in the U.S. It's now considered a deep insult just for Obama to be simply called a Muslim or Arab.

Fuck any religion that intrudes on my selfish happiness. In fact, I guarantee I'd be more pissed off if it were the christians, because that shit's just getting old.

You're silly and quite delusional yourself.

Crisis

Banned
Ponn01 said:

AND the fact that the person who whined about it already has their copy in their hands, early to boot

AND the fact that said person if used his brain and waited a couple weeks could have avoided this shitstorm by preorders being out

This. Sony may be overreacting but there is literally a small segment of the population who would have been offended by this. Nsider fucked it up for EVERYONE doing what he did.

Jaeyden

I think shit like this should be handled by the god that it offends. Maybe, these all powerful gods could step in once and a while and speak for themselves. Honestly, I've been waiting for a long time to 'see or hear' from anyone's god about they way that trivial little stuff like this disrupts the entire balance of the Universe. Where were these gods during the Crusades or the Black Plague, where were they during the Holocaust, where were they during the Tsunami, where are they on a daily basis while innocent children, women and men are enslave, raped, tortured, mutilated and killed by oppressive regimes all around the world? Where are they when nations unjustly invade other nations or the greed of man slowly siphons the wealth of hard working people away? Until they start showing their faces, it's all Easter bunnies and boogey men to me. Oh, by the way the there's a perfect set of teeth in the costume selections for LBP, it's come to my attention that this considerably offends the Tooth Fairy. Please release a patch immediately.

ymmv

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
There were plenty of LOLs at the expense CoE for the Fallout deal.

I love how each religion alternately claims to be the biggest, fastest, strongest and in need of special protection.

You'd think that any true religion with an actual GOD sticking up for them wouldn't need any special protection. Why can't Allah stand up for himself and simply cast the folks at Media Molecule into the fiery pits of hell and burn all copies of LBP to cinders on the spot? Why does Allah need Nsider of all people to do his job for him?

Jaeyden said:
I think shit like this should be handled by the god that it offends. Maybe, these all powerful gods could step in once and a while and speak for themselves. Honestly, I've been waiting for a long time to 'see or hear' from anyone's god about they way that trivial little stuff like this disrupts the entire balance of the Universe. Where were these gods during the Crusades or the Black Plague, where were they during the Holocaust, where were they during the Tsunami, where are they on a daily basis while innocent children, women and men are enslave, raped, tortured, mutilated and killed by oppressive regimes all around the world? Where are they when nations unjustly invade other nations or the greed of man slowly siphons the wealth of hard working people away? Until they start showing their faces, it's all Easter bunnies and boogey men to me. Oh, by the way the there's a perfect set of teeth in the costume selections for LBP, it's come to my attention that this considerably offends the Tooth Fairy. Please release a patch immediately.
:lol :lol :lol That's it. I'm out. This is getting ridiculous.

distrbnce

Banned
m0dus said:
Who said anything about 'taking out everything offensive?'

Offensive to a certain degree is certainly acceptable. But clearly, Sony is worried about alienating part of its audience and potential buyers.

Do you not remember going through this song and dance like TWICE before? Once with Zelda, once with Kakuto Chojin? Anyone with half a brain for PR is well aware of the precedent those set.

Sony is clearly overreacting here. But I find it interesting that all the rage is not directed at THEM, but rather, everyone else but.

Uh, I did. And you quoted me, so you should be aware of that.

Who decides the "degree" of offensive?

vdo

Raist said:
Dude seriously. THe song is already published.

I mean, you create a game, hear a cool song, that is widely available, would it seriously cross your mind that the said song could be offensive to some people ? And it's not even obvious, it's in arabic, and the lines themselves or not especially bad or something.

There's Fersis' cue:

Fersis: "Is not in Arabic..." *Fersis coyly leaves out the language it really is in (Somalian)*

methodman

Banned
Ponn01 said:

AND the fact that Sony/MM put a song that had racial lyrics into their E rated game.

AND the fact that Sony, instead of just patching the game, decided to delay it so it can probably take the track out completely.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
Here, look - my religion forbids me to watch anything on TV with the colour green in it. Green is the devils colour. If I see anything with green in it on TV, I'm going to go picket offices, and burn green things, and threaten the lives of people who make green things on TV. It's my beliefs! You can't tell me I'm silly, because it's my religion! How dare you! I'm going to write to Sony now, to have the colour green removed from all their games. If they don't, I'll get violent.

See how pathetic that is? 'Religious sensitivities' are no different. Stupid arbitrary rules that some people get uppity about, and in cases like this, force on others. Go stick your religion up your ass. (I don't mean you, Modus, I mean people generally who shove religion and their religious sensititivies down other people's throats)
Bad example though, gofreak. In the case of LBP, we're talking about the actual written creations of a religion which they've set express rules for use. It's like copyright, basically. Sony is making the right choice by respecting that copyright.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jaeyden said:

BobFromPikeCreek said:
:lol :lol :lol That's it. I'm out. This is getting ridiculous.

I think NOW is the time to move this to the OT section.
LOL..people starting to bring their own beliefs in here now. It's going to go WAY off topic pretty soon.

[Nintex]

ymmv said:
You'd think that any true religion with an actual GOD sticking up for them wouldn't need any special protection. Why can't Allah stand up for himself and simply cast the folks at Media Molecule into the fiery pits of hell and burn all copies of LBP to cinders on the spot? Why does Allah need Nsider of all people to do his job for him?
I think Allah is quite the Nintendo fan himself, "Leave luck to heaven" and they damn well did this generation.

Crayon

Wurm said:
What the shit. Way to go you fuck.

wurm298.jpg

:lol

guggnichso

Banned
Can't we just handle religion like genitalia? I.e. don't stick it into other peoples faces unless they ask you to, and if you do it anyways, you get arrested by the police and raped by fat hairy men in prison showers?

Costanza said:
That's how I felt until the first store I called said they had one copy left. Then I fucking raced there and paid 90 bucks for it.
I just called my Best Buy and the guy said he was getting it in this weekend.

God if I don't get it by Tuesday I will be so fucking pissed its not even funny. Fucking faggot who NEEDED to complain about this.

xbhaskarx

Jaeyden said:
I think shit like this should be handled by the god that it offends. Maybe, these all powerful gods could step in once and a while and speak for themselves. Honestly, I've been waiting for a long time to 'see or hear' from anyone's god about they way that trivial little stuff like this disrupts the entire balance of the Universe.

It's not good enough for Sony and MM to go to hell, you must also suffer...
God says: "No LBP for you!"

o0xaph_th.jpg

dak1dsk1

Banned
Crayon said:
Imagine that you have something you take seriosuly.

Remember right after september 11th you took it seriously. Like... if a guy at a bar a week after made a joke about it he would have gotten a black eye.

Well some people take their religion seriosuly all the time and that means not making pop songs out of it.
Imagine me not giving a shit about your religious sensitivities. Your warped religous rules does not apply in the western world. Keep your fundamentalist beliefs to your islamic nations, and embrace the enlightened secular society you live in.

Christine

kaching said:
Bad example though, gofreak. In the case of LBP, we're talking about the actual written creations of a religion which they've set express rules for use. It's like copyright, basically. Sony is making the right choice by respecting that copyright.

Damn. I thought Disney was the world champion at indefinite extension of copyright, but I guess they've got nothing on papa Muhammed.

Acosta

250px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

I find deeply offensive that my god, the all powerful, glorious and benevolent Flying Spaghetti Monster is not portrayed in any form in this game, I hope Sony takes the needed measures and delay the game to correct this.

Loudninja

methodman said:
AND the fact that Sony/MM put a song that had racial lyrics into their E rated game.

AND the fact that Sony, instead of just patching the game, decided to delay it so it can probably take the track out completely.

And around we go.....

DarkKyo

Blu_LED said:

God if I don't get it by Tuesday I will be so fucking pissed its not even funny. Fucking faggot who NEEDED to complain about this.
:lol

Jesus.

Ponn

Banned
methodman said:

What "racial" lyrics? From what I read they weren't racial just "religious sensitive". They are a company, they have to do what they have to do to avoid scandal or being sued BUT the jackass whistle-blowing on this could have held off just a week. JUST A WEEK!!!!

mr_nothin

Banned
Blu_LED said:

OHHHH Kay....

Calm down dood.

I find it amazing that this country was founded upon the backs of people seeking freedom from religious persecution and has now degenerated into a nation where the people persecute those with religion just because they disagree with it.

Ranger X

kaching said:

Copyrights doesn't exist outside our little humans modern rules. And we don't have copyrights on old cultural things...
And if ever there was a law issue it's the artist they should go sue.

guggnichso said:
Can't we just handle religion like genitalia? I.e. don't stick it into other peoples faces unless they ask you to, and if you do it anyways, you get arrested by the police and raped by fat hairy men in prison showers?

That's a good line. Original?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaching said:

I don't think that would hold up in a court. I don't believe anyone holds copyright to the Quran, I don't see how that'd be possible.

They claim ownership of other words and gets antsy about their use too. Same way other religions do with words like 'marriage' etc.

So no, I still see it as made-up, albeit, old, arbitrary rules that some people are forcing on others. It gets a pass because it's 'religion', something people would laugh at if it was classed as anything else.

Crisis

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I find it amazing that this country was founded upon the backs of people seeking freedom from religious persecution and has now degenerated into a nation where the people persecute those with religion just because they disagree with it.

Nsider started it. He persecuted me and my fellow hundreds of thousands (millions?) of LBP-ites by keeping us from reaching our salvation.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
methodman said:

You are not paying attention are you. Racial lyrics?????

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
NSider said:
I didn't mean to do it but here goes:

I'm sorry for partially causing a one week delay of LittleBigPlanet. I'm sorry Sony has to go through all the trouble of pulling the game from stores and replacing them with patched versions. I definitely know what it feels like to have a game delayed.

The possibility that Sony would delay the game didn't even cross my mind. I thought that they will do nothing about it for weeks then quietly release a patch much later.

I'm sorry. :(
We shouldn't shoot the messenger. But you will probably be called names the next week.

Oh well; maybe we can learn something out of this, but you should explain why some Muslims are offended by something another Muslim has made? And why seem religious people to be offended by something (to us) trivial so quickly? (Just a question :))

Jaeyden said:

Atheist rants, hooray!

I love the temper tantrums over LBP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AbortedWalrusFetus said:

You have that completely ass backwards.

This is someone's religious sensibilities being enforced upon everyone.

Exactly what religious 'persecution' was all about (albeit in far more extreme form, i.e. people being killed because of religious belief etc.).

The problem is we do NOT have freedom, culturally, from these religious impositions.

Everyone has every right to treat any work as they like based on their own sensibilities. I don't care if NSider is offended by LBP, I'm not saying he shouldn't be. He has the freedom to consider it however he likes. But he shouldn't push that on everyone else, when all it is based on is his religious beliefs! There's where freedom starts to get eroded - MM's creative freedom.

Top Bottom