• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

Why can't a patch solve this issue and anyone who has an original can swap, for free, to get an updated version of the game. I wonder how much money this is going to cost sony and MM.

cjelly said:
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I hope the rest of this thread isn't going to be like this...

come on man, all due respect for Muslims, but thousands and thousands of people protest over one danish cartoon. I think some of them have earned the right to be called oversensitive.

anyways this does suck, havent bought a ps3 game in a while, and was really looking forward to this.

You have all the freedom in the world from it. The choice was Sony's to make and they made it.

The fact of the matter is that no one is condemning that choice, just condemning the people who the choice was made to benefit. THAT is the persecution.

rhino4evr

Super_Chicken said:
Why can't a patch solve this issue and anyone who has an original can swap, for free, to get an updated version of the game. I wonder how much money this is going to cost sony and MM.

yeah this is the general consensus.

Len1978

hehe I picked up a copy at a local Blockbuster here in Tucson, I got real lucky and found a store with a cool manager will post pics in a minute. Psn id is same as gaf

The absence of mods in this thread is disturbing. Some of you guys take this shit way too seriously, no matter the side you're on.

Sony decided to delay the game a WEEK. Some of you have been waiting well over a year for this. Can't you just wait 6 more days w/o acting so childishly?

I expect better things from Gaf.

I find it amazing that this country was founded upon the backs of people seeking freedom from religious persecution and has now degenerated into a nation where the people persecute those with religion just because they disagree with it.

Actually the pilgrims wanted to set up a religious community, not flee persecution. People left and established the 2nd colony after it became too strict for them.

Strangely enough, the founding fathers wanted America to be free from religious influences. At least, it was that way until the evangelicals came around.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Len1978 said:
hehe I picked up a copy at a local Blockbuster here in Tucson, I got real lucky and found a store with a cool manager will post pics in a minute. Psn id is same as gaf
you cant play online. Servers are not up. Will not be up until release probably...

Freedom = $1.05 said:
The absence of mods in this thread is disturbing. Some of you guys take this shit way too seriously, no matter the side you're on.

Sony decided to delay the game a WEEK. Some of you have been waiting well over a year for this. Can't you just wait 6 more days w/o acting so childishly?

IMAGE_132-1-1.jpg

methodman

Banned
Ponn01 said:
What "racial" lyrics? From what I read they weren't racial just "religious sensitive". They are a company, they have to do what they have to do to avoid scandal or being sued BUT the jackass whistle-blowing on this could have held off just a week. JUST A WEEK!!!!

My bad, definitely meant to say Religious sensitive there.

Christine

Ponn01 said:
I'm voting McCain now.

I think you're joking, but his running mate exemplifies this sort of dogmatic intolerance.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
The fact of the matter is that no one is condemning that choice, just condemning the people who the choice was made to benefit. THAT is the persecution.

First, if you want to be factual, there are people condemning Sony, Media Molecule, and the choice itself.

Second, one can condemn the religious beliefs that created the economic and PR pressure on Sony/MM to make that choice and censor the game without necessarily judging an entire group of people.

Third, you've got a funny definition of persecution.

Death_Born said:
Actually the pilgrims wanted to set up a religious community, not flee persecution. People left and established the 2nd colony after it became too strict for them.

They wanted to set up a religious community because in Europe they were persecuted for their beliefs and they couldn't do it there. Mayflower and all that jazz

Wurm

Banned
I literally cannot believe someone with the tag "NSider" is responsible for a multi-million set-back and week delay to one of the most original and incredible titles ever created. I cast a glance over a post history of Smash Brothers and Wii threads and its like some sort of insane conspiracy.

GAF should hold some little competition where the winner receives NSider's copy of the game or something. It seems insane that the person responsible will be continuing to enjoy the game (or maybe not the 2nd world you overly sensitive git) while people that have been looking forward to the game for a year+ are out in the cold.

I'm so glad I got a copy of the game, because I imagine I would be vomiting blood and fire at this point had I not.

Flek

Banned
Super_Chicken said:

or better why couldnt ouer friend wait with his complain until 2 days after the release than sony didnt had the chance to pull it.

also is it going to get pulled in middle east too ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
You have all the freedom in the world from it. The choice was Sony's to make and they made it.

No, he's every right to be offended by it if he wants. I'm not saying we should round up people who get religiously offended and have them shipped to an island, or something.

But he shouldn't impose that on others. He's imposing it first and foremost on MM (whose choice this was not), and Sony, who're only conceding this point because of how certain religious groups have reacted to offense in the past.

If the game was released as was, no one's 'freedom' was being trampled on. Now, MM's creative freedom is, and the rest of us have to wait longer for the game (albeit, hopefully, only for a week). But it's the principle that matters.

Fady K

Please read first: Guys, what Nsider did as a devout Muslim (if he really is a devout Muslim) was right. If a strong Christian/Jewish follower did the same - by notifying a corporation that their product contains something offensive when the product ITSELF is not intended to portray such matters is not only a good thing that the person did as a devout follower of his/her religion, but also a good thing for the corporation.

I love and respect Sony ever since they changed a lot from the Sony I knew in 2006, and im a huge fan of their games and products - but this is something Sony should have noticed BEFORE releasing the game to retail.

What Nsider did in a way, is save Sony a LOT of trouble when the game "officially" out and it contains said material. Fixing this mistake before official release most likely saved Sony a LOT of time and money.

As Modus said, a patch would be good enough - but then again, as Boilersfan23 said, a good amount of PS3 owners probably don't go online in the first place, hence this might have been the best, even if tiresome, approach to take.

And what gofreak said was right - that people who are offended by such things shouldnt bring said things into their home - but with Sony doing this - now even those that ARE offended can happily bring the product into their homes.

Honestly? Good move by Sony, and good move by Nsider, kudos to you guys.

And to the whiners: Its only delayed by a week, holy shit.

dak1dsk1 said:
Imagine me not giving a shit about your religious sensitivities. Your warped religous rules does not apply in the western world. Keep your fundamentalist beliefs to your islamic nations, and embrace the enlightened secular society you live in.

Oh, please. Who are you to talk, Mr. "Fuck Islam"? or to be more accurate, as you said, "F*ck Islam"? From the look of things, its YOU who has warped beliefs, dont be talking about Islam like you know what it is.

faust666

kaching said:
Sony is making the right choice by respecting that copyright.

But the wrong choice in the way it's being handled especially in light of numerous retailers already breaking the street date. A patch for those online and an offer to replace the disk for anyone who finds it offensive would suffice.

Igo

Are people really so dense that they can't understand why Sony made this decision? Firstly it's obvious they don't want the bad publicity that may arise from this situation. And here's where I think the people on this board have really lost the plot. People keep suggesting that it should be the Muslims who avoid the game but why - and I really want to scream this in bold but i'll resist - Why on earth would Sony want a potentially large group of people to avoid their game and possibly other future products in the larger Sony conglomerate.

Sony aren't simply caving in to the religious demands of Muslims here. They've seen that something in their game could be offensive to some of their customers and have made the correct decision to rectify that. From what I can tell people getting overly upset over this are either dense or using this to push their anti-religious/Islam agenda.

Would the situation have been any different if the one of the songs lyrics contained phrases that may have offended those of Japanese decent? Do people really think Sony would have acted any differently? Sony are doing their best not to offend their customers here and it should be commended. Unfortunately certain people are just unwilling to accept that people take their beliefs very seriously and would rather remain ignorant to this.

Sadly what has a lot of people riled up here is less that Sony have taken steps to avoid offending their customers but that it concerns those who practice Islam.

gofreak said:
No, he's every right to be offended by it if he wants. I'm not saying we should round up people who get religiously offended and have them shipped to an island, or something.

But he shouldn't impose that on others. He's imposing it first and foremost on MM (whose choice this was not), and Sony, who're only conceding this point because of how certain religious groups have reacted to offense in the past.

If the game was released as was, no one's 'freedom' was being trampled on. Now, MM's creative freedom is, and the rest of us have to wait longer for the game (albeit, hopefully, only for a week). But it's the principle that matters.

All he did was tip Sony off to it. Sony made the choice that the negative impact of retaining the song would be too great to allow it to stand as is. I think Sony overreacted and this is retarded. It should have been fixed with a patch. But I don't think the messenger is the one who should be shot for it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Wurm said:
I literally cannot believe someone with the tag "NSider" is responsible for a multi-million set-back and week delay to one of the most original and incredible titles ever created. I cast a glance over a post history of Smash Brothers and Wii threads and its like some sort of insane conspiracy.

GAF should hold some little competition where the winner receives NSider's copy of the game or something. It seems insane that the person responsible will be continuing to enjoy the game (or maybe not the 2nd world you overly sensitive git) while people that have been looking forward to the game for a year+ are out in the cold.

I'm so glad I got a copy of the game, because I imagine I would be vomiting blood and fire at this point had I not.

He's not responsible for delaying the game. He brought up an issue to Sony about certain lyrics in one of the game's songs. He pointed out that other publishers had taken steps to remove similar lyrics.

Sony then decided to delay the game. It was up to them.

ymmv

Banned
gofreak said:

Nsider's temper tantrum is going to cost Sony a lot of money if they're actually going to press hundreds of thousands copies of the fixed disc. For Sony it's more than just a week's delay.

distrbnce

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I find it amazing that this country was founded upon the backs of people seeking freedom from religious persecution and has now degenerated into a nation where the people persecute those with religion just because they disagree with it.

Verbal persecution is quite different than the religious persecution you're speaking of. You'd do well to realize that.

And when some silly religion intrudes on my happiness (in any form) me singing free speech seems the kindest of justified reactions.

DSWii60

This thread just reminded me why I don't come to the Gaming side any more. This thread also explained to me exactly why Obama isn't winning by a landslide over in the States. This thread also reminded me of all the hateful, intolerant people still present in this world. This thread also reminded me how selfish people can be. This thread reminded me why the world is in the state it's in.

matticus

matticus said:
I just got a "Policy Changes" e-mail from Sony. Is this related? The e-mail links to HERE.

Actually, this stuff sounds kind of like HOME prep. Maybe it's coming soon ... unless Nsider has anything to say about it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Igo said:
Are people really so dense that they can't understand why Sony made this decision? Firstly it's obvious they don't want the bad publicity that may arise from this situation. And here's where I think the people on this board have really lost the plot. People keep suggesting that it should be the Muslims who avoid the game but why - and I really want to scream this in bold but i'll resist - Why on earth would Sony want a potentially large group of people to avoid their game and possibly other future products in the larger Sony conglomerate.

I can understand that. I'm simply lamenting that people get offended by this in the first place. Sony's being pragmatic - it's much easier and, yeah, probably wiser to give in rather than to try and challenge this - but I'm targetting the principle(s) behind this.

Igo said:
Would the situation have been any different if the one of the songs lyrics contained phrases that may have offended those of Japanese decent?

Racial and religious sensitivity are two very different things, IMO.

Crayon

Wurm said:

wurno.jpg

vareon

What a thread, GAF :lol

I'm not interested in LBP so I'm indifferent about the delay, I kind of understand what NSider felt about the song, though I won't send message to anyone.

C'mon, it's only a week. There are worse cases than this.

distrbnce said:
Verbal persecution is quite different than the religious persecution you're speaking of. You'd do well to realize that.

And when some silly religion intrudes on my happiness (in any form) me singing free speech seems the kindest of justified reactions.

I'm not really talking about the actions taken, I'm talking about the general sentiment. If someone has a religious belief and it offends them, heaven forbid them saying something about it or trying to do something about it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
I don't think that would hold up in a court. I don't believe anyone holds copyright to the Quran, I don't see how that'd be possible.

They claim ownership of other words and gets antsy about their use too. Same way other religions do with words like 'marriage' etc.

So no, I still see it as made-up, albeit, old, arbitrary rules that some people are forcing on others. It gets a pass because it's 'religion', something people would laugh at if it was classed as anything else.
I wasn't really talking about anything holding up in court, just simply the point of basic respect between a pair of rights holders. We're talking about specific phrases taking from the Qur'an, rather than some more arbitrary offense. I'm willing to acknowledge their claim on the basis of the presence of a deliberately created work. It's no different from what any IP holder like Sony would want for their copyrighted creations, and does their best to enforce.

DMeisterJ

Banned
10/31 for UK not that bad, only 1-week delay.

I'm more concerned that this week delay will prevent it from entering the top 10 of NPD of Oct, and since Nov will be so crowded, I'm unsure whether it'll do that either.

Could happen though.

DarkKyo

The only solace I take in anything I care about being delayed is that there is always someone who is going to be more pissed off or saddened than I am.

This thread is awesome.

Christine

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I'm not really talking about the actions taken, I'm talking about the general sentiment. If someone has a religious belief and it offends them, heaven forbid them saying something about it or trying to do something about it.

Just because they have the right to complain does not make the complaining a morally correct action.

kaching said:
I wasn't really talking about anything holding up in court, just simply the point of basic respect between a pair of rights holders. We're talking about specific phrases taking from the Qur'an, rather than some more arbitrary offense. I'm willing to acknowledge their claim on the basis of the presence of a deliberately created work. It's no different from what any IP holder like Sony would want for their copyrighted creations, and does their best to enforce.

Yeah, except there isn't a rights holder for the Qur'an. Important point.

Flek said:
or better why couldnt ouer friend wait with his complain until 2 days after the release than sony didnt had the chance to pull it.

also is it going to get pulled in middle east too ?

I am envisioning thousands of game stores over there getting recall notices and saying "Um.. just throw that in the garbage and keep selling the game."

And thousands of muslim gamers enjoy LBP without getting offended whatsoever while we, stuck in the land of political correctness, sterilization, and an overwhelming fear of anyone getting offended ever, have to deal with blatant censorship and a delay that nobody would've actually wanted.

It's not going to kill me to wait another week, but the principle of this matter is incredibly frustrating on so many levels.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
DSWii60 said:
This thread just reminded me why I don't come to the Gaming side any more. This thread also explained to me exactly why Obama is winning by a landslide over in the States. This thread also reminded me of all the hateful, intolerant people still present in this world. This thread also reminded me how selfish people can be. This thread reminded me why the world is in the state it's in.
If anything this thread shows me why he is currently not winning by a landslide even though he should be.

distrbnce

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:

It's clearly not the length of the wait for most of us. It's the reason.

MGrant

kaching said:

Except that religious texts (save Scientology lolol) are public domain. And who are the "rights holders" for the Qur'an? All Moslems? It's not like the original authors are around anymore.

Top Bottom