• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Livestreamer in Japan accidentally burn down his house, caught on video

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveCake

He didn't of course mean to burn the place down which was a accident, what he did fail at was his attempts to put the fire out, he must of just panicked & then it was too late.

What have we all be told "don't play with fire"
2NowAwz.gif

KDR_11k

Just realised he was striking the match and set the matchbox on fire

aZie0Mi.gif

That is some Homer Simpson type luck

When he fueled the matchbox he wiped it down repeatedly with a paper towel, probably spreading a thin film of lighter fluid over the whole surface. No surprise that the whole thing went up in flames.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
He's going to get nailed to the wall for the death i would think, he didn't of course mean to burn the place down which was a accident, what he did fail at was his attempts to put the fire out, he must of just panicked & then it was too late.

What have we all be told "don't play with fire"
2NowAwz.gif

He didn't kill anyone.

So people on Reddit are now saying that the fire that killed someone was not caused by the guy streaming and that it was a completely different fire?

It's easy to for people now sitting in their own comfort typing away at how easy it could have been solved etc, but look at it from his own position, initially he didn't think much of it (as he never saw the fire behind him), of course when he did he panicked and took it away from his computer, but it burnt through the bag and spread quickly - he did it all in the heat of the moment I guess.

Yes maybe trying to put it out with cardboard wasn't the brightest idea, but sometimes panicking and dangerous situations doesn't make you think straight...evidently.

I'm pretty sure my first reaction would have been to smother it with a blanket and stomp the shit out of it while it was smaller. Not sure how effective that would have been.

LoveCake

Just reserved one of these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7001583.htm

Not particularly big, but handles most types of fire and anything bigger than this can handle I'm calling the fire brigade.

I was just thinking the very same thing, £15 for six years not bad at all really, considering one myself.

May sort out some sort of mini prepers kit just in-case, fire extinguisher, first aid kit (already have) wind up torch (already have) combo screwdriver, knife, couple of tins of fruit, pack of bottled water.

LoveCake

He didn't kill anyone.

It said in a earlier post that a woman's body was found in one of the apartments.

Apparently it spread to 3 buildings and one body was found.

Source.

Translated through Google translate:

4:00 pm 2 15 minutes around , it was fire from Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo Ebara of the apartment , two-story total of about 240 square meters wooden burned down . Baked part in Moeutsu~tsu to three buildings , such as adjacent to the apartment , it was put out after about 6 hours . Found the bodies of one woman from the ruins of apartment buildings , the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Ebara station is residents unemployed , I'm in a hurry to confirm the identity and look Jutaniki以子's ( 78) . According to the police , the first floor of the interior was burning fiercely . Other residents want , such as shelter , was not injured .

ArtFuzzy

Banned
Seeing how some people even in this thread don't know that you shouldn't pour water on oil fires - maybe there is a need for more education about fire prevention in schools. I had it twice. Once in grade school and once in Gymnasium where the fire department visited and educated us about some basic things, including oil fires.

the thing is many people don't ever have to put out fires so this knowledge is never tested in an actual situation.

On paper if I was asked the question on a test I would recall that you don't pour water on an oil fire but in the actual situation you're in a panic and it's very different.

I hope no one died from this. From what I'm reading it was a totally unrelated fire that a lady died from.

Either way it's hard to blame this guy for willful incompetence. He probably panicked and just had no idea what to do.

Tries to put it out with cardboard...when that doesn't work he leaves the cardboard right next to the fire, leaves for like a solid minute and comes back with...a little dish of water.

Nocebo

All he had to do was take the trash bag into the shower not feed it cardboard lol.

I guess his was trying to deprive the fire of oxygen with the cardboard.
Look at the video again. The bag opens up from the bottom or side, due to the heat. It's very thin plastic.

It seems like some people in this here thread are also unfamiliar with the properties of fire. Oh the irony.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This guy just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you light your room on fire over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hmmm, I think a lot of you are missing the point of my original comment. I'm not saying the dude was stupid to try and put out a fire with a cardboard box, although the fact that he tried shows that he was never taught the basics of how fire operates. My comment was lamenting the idea that all individuals have the same amount of knowledge regarding fire safety and protocol such that they would be calm rational actors in the event of a sudden house fire and be able to handle the situation appropriately without resorting to panic.

Who needs to be taught not to put cardboard on fire? Just being alive has taught me that cardboard will catch on fire.

No one has ever taught me not to put paper on a fire but I'm going to guess that trying to put out a fire with paper isn't the best idea.

Zubz

Banned
Are you the guy in the video?

What? Why would you think that? The guy clearly isn't the sharpest knife in the crayon box, but he also didn't actively want to burn the apartment complex down.

Thus, I am more concerned with the welfare of those affected, rather than wanting to see a guilty-but-not-malicious man hung by his entrails to satisfy my own thirst for justice. The dude's obviously going to be charged for this, so you can chill there. However, despite how irrational his response was, and how clear it was to an Internet forum that was divorced from the situation that he was only feeding the fire in his attempts to smother it, he didn't mean to burn down anything. If he did, then why would he livestream it?

Nothing is gained from wanting to see a man locked up for a crime he didn't mean to commit. Something might be gained from showing a shred of sympathy towards the victims.

zeemumu

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you light your room on fire over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

I don't think he'll be committing seppuku over this.

KingBroly

Banned

If you're going to try and replicate NeoGaf lore, you need to go all the way.

That was another fire on the same day. The Reddit post has updated and clarified that.

People are now saying it was a different fire. Not sure whats going on.
Idiot dodged a bullet then.
Look at the video again. The bag opens up from the bottom or side, due to the heat. It's very thin plastic.

It seems like some people in this here thread are also unfamiliar with the properties of fire. Oh the irony.
The people here giving the advice don't even know what they are talking about? Classic.

Tryhard.

ArtFuzzy

Banned
I'm pretty sure many people's attempts at putting out a fire w/o a fire extinguisher would be the same as this guy's

Savitar

I'm pretty sure many people's attempts at putting out a fire w/o a fire extinguisher would be the same as this guy's

I doubt most people would have put cardboard on top of it and go get a tiny bit of water to dump on it. Or so casually do all that.

Oh god I can't get to the sink what do I have to hand oh sunflower oil maybe? Just pour it on oh my god it's making it worse look around look around oh fuck oh fuck there must be something I can do to stop this I could throw a shoe at it oh my god that's making it worse too oh my god

Looks like he tried to move it but the plastic bag burnt up, if he would have taken the futon mattress or thick comforter to it right away,it would have solved it.

Instead he uses the cardboard box, and actually pushes the fire around igniting other flammable objects

When I was 10, I almost set the house on fire by playing with matches. Thankfully years of public service announcements got me to quickly fetch a towel and put it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom