• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Livestreamer in Japan accidentally burn down his house, caught on video

Status
Not open for further replies.

S¡mon

Banned
It's a very unfortunate incident. Some people are calling him an idiot, and maybe even rightly so, but this also proves something else: there are likely still tons of uneducated people out there.

When I watched the video, I also had many "nooo, why are you doing that?"-moments... but again, that's easy to say in hindsight.

People need to be educated about how they can put down a small fire. For many of us here, it makes absolutely no sense to try to put out a fire with some cardboard or a small splash of water... but for those who were never taught about dealing with fires it might seem very logical.

Slavik81

Seeing how some people even in this thread don't know that you shouldn't pour water on oil fires - maybe there is a need for more education about fire prevention in schools. I had it twice. Once in grade school and once in Gymnasium where the fire department visited and educated us about some basic things, including oil fires.
Talking about it isn't enough. They need to show you it. In person, preferably. The effect is dramatic enough that people might actually still remember it while panicking.

This is what happens when you spray water into a frying pan full oil that has caught fire.

I had my first fire experience last year. I was cooking, and let the pan get too hot before adding some olive oil and it instantly caught on fire. My first reaction was to run down my apartment's hall and grab a fire extinguisher. In hindsight if I had the pan lid nearby I could've just put it on, or used some baking soda.
All three of those would be good responses.

Slavik81

Looked as if he was trying to play it cool or whatever. He ended up doing everything wrong.
He was basically screwed once the fire started. Amazing fire fighting skills might put it out, but his response was normal.

The problem was that he was playing with fire, surrounded by nothing but paper, cardboard and plastic bags, lacking any actually useful firefighting tools like a fire extinguisher.

The real mistakes all occurred before the fire even started. You deal with an emergency like that by being prepared before it happens.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just noticed that he was playing Minecraft when that happened.

You would think that minecraft is the perfect game to teach people about the real dangers of fires... I mean you ever seen how much shit burns down in minecraft?

Ive assisted with a neighbors apartment that was on fire, the owner was an elderly woman who was taken to the hospital earlier in the week and had passed away then. At the time the relative did not know that she had the heater on so the thing was just constantly on and set fire to all the papers and other materials she had in her home.

Was busy collecting all of the extinguishers from the other floors, pulling the pins then passing them off to the other 2 guys, one who kept the new extinguisher ready, while the guy by the kitchen window was spraying what he could onto the fire in the kitchen.

If the kitchen window was closed the damage would have been much larger as we would have had no way to at least keep it from spreading further till the fire fighters arrived. The other room was history though as no way to get to it.

HardRojo

Everyone should go to a basic fire fighting course at least once in their life. It's amazing how the smallest fire can become a huge unmanageable mess due to negligence. Also, he took way too long to react and let the fire grow bigger. A middle-sized soaked towel would have probably done the job, but then he had the great idea of keeping cardboard boxes close to the fire. Sad to read a woman died due to the guy's negligence.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Everyone should go to a basic fire fighting course at least once in their life. It's amazing how the smallest fire can become a huge unmanageable mess due to negligence. Also, he took way too long to react and let the fire grow bigger. A middle-sized soaked towel would have probably done the job, but then he had the great idea of keeping cardboard boxes close to the fire. Sad to read a woman died due to the guy's negligence.

That news article is not related to this.

ZoddGutts

When he fueled the matchbox he wiped it down repeatedly with a paper towel, probably spreading a thin film of lighter fluid over the whole surface. No surprise that the whole thing went up in flames.

Yup, if you watch the vid earlier he does that, explains why it quickly lit up when he stupidly threw the lit match in a bag fill with paper towels that had lighter fluid on them. Of all the places he put it in worst place possible.

Ding II

The most frustrating/laughable part of this vid to me was how the idiot kept tippy-toeing around all the crap strewn on his floor. Back and forth, over and over. Kick that shit out of your way! What an ineffectual waste of oxygen.

I'm amazed that sprinkler systems aren't mandatory in Japan. Did this take place somewhere out in the middle of nowhere?

Keeping a large bag of oil soaked paper towels right next to his attempts to create fire, in an enclosed room full of highly flammable products may be considered a mistake as well.

I was just listing the mistakes he made before the torrent of fuckery began.

HardRojo

Yup, if you watch the vid earlier he does that, explains why it quickly lit up when he stupidly threw the lit match in a bag fill with paper towels that had liquid fluid on them. Of all the places he put it in worst place possible.

I hadn't noticed this detail. Wow, can someone really be this stupid?

ArtFuzzy

Banned
You can see how the bag fell apart quickly spreading trash that is burning around cardboard boxes. He should of just used that blanket right away and it could of been avoided entirely.

Javaman

I don't have one. I'd bet a ton of people don't. What should I buy? Mini CO2 extinguisher?

This is what I got out of that video. Hopefully it'll do some good if it encourages people to do that.

A mini co2 extinguisher isn't going to do much. You need a good amount of CO2 in order to displace the O2 and cool the combustion. If not it's just going to relight. If you're looking for a small extinguisher, go with a chemical ABC one. You can use it to put out any fires in the house including oil. They are messy but much more effective on wood and paper.

zeshakag

You can see how the bag fell apart quickly spreading trash that is burning around cardboard boxes. He should of just used that blanket right away and it could of been avoided entirely.

Yeah, you can still smother a small fire with a blanket even if it's not wet right? As long as you stomp the shit out of it and completely cover it

Jacobi

Banned
Damn this escalates quickly in 5 minutes! Just imagine, 5 minutes usually is no time when you're home... Time to develop a firephobia

S¡mon;180718630 said:
It's a very unfortunate incident. Some people are calling him an idiot, and maybe even rightly so, but this also proves something else: there are likely still tons of uneducated people out there.

When I watched the video, I also had many "nooo, why are you doing that?"-moments... but again, that's easy to say in hindsight.

People need to be educated about how they can put down a small fire. For many of us here, it makes absolutely no sense to try to put out a fire with some cardboard or a small splash of water... but for those who were never taught about dealing with fires it might seem very logical.

This isn't a matter of being educated or not, it's simply a lack of common sense. The guy is stupid as hell and didn't take the fire seriously until it was too late. At least he wasn't living in a apartment building or this idiot would have cost the home of others too with his stupidity.
I hope he didn't have a pet.

edit: oh god multiple buildings caught fire too because of that asshole. (seems like 2 apartments complex and one shop) What a cunt.

Damn, this guy made some pretty big mistakes but I do feel for him. Getting my place and my belongings all burnt down would be a nightmare.

zoozilla

I'd like to imagine that the video's from the perspective of a female Japanese HAL.

"No, don't do that Dave."

"Why."

"Why."

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Izuna

Banned
Okay yet, but I lost it almost immediately at the matchbox catching fire HAHAHAHA

He should sue whatever company made that shit

EDIT: Hmm, so that's the emergency number in Japan...

chrono01

This is really depressing [and frustrating] to watch.

While we don't have the whole story yet, since I'm sure they're still sorting through the aftermath of the fire, I really hope no casualty resulted from this. :/

Damn this escalates quickly in 5 minutes! Just imagine, 5 minutes usually is no time when you're home... Time to develop a firephobia
That tends to happen when you try to put out a fire with cardboard boxes. Speaking of which, this is the first time I've ever seen someone trying to put out a fire with cardboard boxes...

Violet_0

Banned
so did they find a body or was this misreported?

I couldn't believe that he actually built a small pyre with the cardboard and then left the room for a several minutes

Was he ok? I hope he was ok.

yes. Only his room( about 30 square meters.) burned. 4 people live in the house.

so did they find a body or was this misreported?

I couldn't believe that he actually built a small pyre with the cardboard and then left the room for a several minutes
it was just that western forum detectives with not enough knowledge of Japanese language misreported. The two cases were not related.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm surprised he was smart enough to stop "attempting" to put it out and just leave before he got smoke inhalation.

I'm surprised he didn't throw himself in the flames in an attempt to put it out after a cardboard box, a cup of water and a bed failed to do the trick.

ss-hikaru

The real mistakes all occurred before the fire even started. You deal with an emergency like that by being prepared before it happens.

Yeah the whole situation could definitely have been avoided with some common sense. Since he was stupid enough to cause the fire in the first place I am not surprised at all that he didn't know how to deal with it...

cameron

It looked like a comedy slapstick sketch from the get-go. When he turned his back to the trash bag on the left that caught on fire, I didn't notice he was dealing with another small fire on the right.

I'm surprised he didn't throw himself in the flames in an attempt to put it out after a cardboard box, a cup of water and a bed failed to do the trick.

When your apartment is on fire, stop, drop, and roll on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom