• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lolo Jones on Twitter: Americans will do well in "da gun competition."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcaneus

I don't agree with the article's point that the tweet would be insensitive no matter when it was tweeted, they know that isn't true.

Dead Man

Awesome.

So where is the equivalent link of the European_American_Vernacular_English for White people that speak broken English?

The closest thing I saw was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English

which doesn't specifically identify one race but rather the region. The fact that it tries to identify Black people as the sole speakers of this "language" is what makes it racist. It is a broken version of English that has direct ties to Southern American English but to be cute or whatever, it was deemed "Ebonics".

As I said before, I don't speak "Ebonics" and the poster, Gavin GT, was making it out as though Black people = Ebonics. He didn't say some or Southern Black people...he said Black people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English
American standard English is a dialect of English. I consider it almost broken :) I also think you have it backwards. It's not that black people = Ebonics (I do hate that word though), it's that Ebonics should = black people, not white people trying to join a culture. That said, I do think limiting a dialect to racial groups is fucking stupid.

eastmen

Banned
If Chick-Fil-A says that they don't like people simply because they are gay, should the gay people just be "stronger and understand what others said isn't a big deal"?

Seriously man, are you being serious here or just trolling?

As long as homosexuals can continue to work at chick-fil-a without predudice and homosexuals can continue to shop there without predudice then yes , they should .

Not everyone is going to like everyone , i learned that when I was a kid. If you don't agree with some one then don't associate with them. It a store has a view you oppose then stop shoping there . However if you get down to the skinny of it , you will shop no where. Because everyone has diffrent views and your going to find an opposing view held by every company out there.

Chick-Fil-A was at least vocal in their beliefs . I'm sure there are dozens of other food joints that don't like homosexuality and just don't say anything .

Amir0x

Banned
Looks like lola was right, American women Rhodes won skeet shooting competition gold

seems over for detractors of this comment

Kettch

I don't see the issue at all. We make "Americans love guns" jokes on GAF all the time and nobody bats an eye. Mainly because it's true.

Next somebody is gonna get roasted for saying we're fat.

I don't see the issue at all. We make "Americans love guns" jokes on GAF all the time and nobody bats an eye. Mainly because it's true.

Next somebody is gonna get roasted for saying we're fat.

Joey Chestnut, an American, is also the #1 ranked competitive eater. If we're going to be stereotyped, at least we're the best at it.

LQX

Cant believe a comment is like this is causing such uproar and disjointed comments on "ebonics".

Measley

her-father-just-got-out-of-jail-whe.jpg

Well, that's her father. I think she might be black.

She's multiracial. Native American, African, French and Norwegian descent.

As long as homosexuals can continue to work at chick-fil-a without predudice and homosexuals can continue to shop there without predudice then yes , they should .

Not everyone is going to like everyone , i learned that when I was a kid. If you don't agree with some one then don't associate with them. It a store has a view you oppose then stop shoping there . However if you get down to the skinny of it , you will shop no where. Because everyone has diffrent views and your going to find an opposing view held by every company out there.

Chick-Fil-A was at least vocal in their beliefs . I'm sure there are dozens of other food joints that don't like homosexuality and just don't say anything .

So just because everyone won't like everyone if negative and hurtful things are said you should just keep your mouth shut? How will progress ever be made this way?

jett

D-Member
Eh, probably untimely to tweet such a comment but USA did win a gold medal in skeet shooting today, comfortably so! I'm guessing she didn't mean any malice and simply didn't think before posting.

Margalis

Banned
What is wrong with her comment?

Americans fucking love guns and in fact just set a record in a gun competition!

This is offensive because...something bad happened with guns and her tweet had the word "gun" in it?

I don't know what is more annoying, people who get offended at stuff like this or people who act offended on behalf of others.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I guess this is different because...she didn't say anything racist or threaten to burn anyone.

And, Americans are fucking awesome with guns.

dDf72.png

I like that event in the Winter Olympics when they cross country ski, then stop and shoot targets, then continue skiing.

I wish my parents could have gotten me into that at a young age.

I like that event in the Winter Olympics when they cross country ski, then stop and shoot targets, then continue skiing.

I wish my parents could have gotten me into that at a young age.

The Summer has the Modern Pentathlon.

Swords, Horses, Shooting, Running, and Swimming.

Its a pretty bad ass event.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is it just me or is society getting really sensetive to people's comments all of a sudden?

I don't think it's really a shift in people's attitudes... More like twitter allowing people to say all kinds of things, twitter allowing the lunatic fringe of offended people to gang up, and click-hungry blogs trying to make mountains out of molehills.

Can I just make this clear: I never give a shit what anyone says. Freedom of speech. Thick skin. These are good things.

This need to punish, chastise people for their words? Grow up and move on with your lives.
The entire rest of your post other than the bolded sentence tells me otherwise.

REMEMBER AUDROAA I THINK LOLO JONES SHOULD DRES UP AS BAMAN AND VISIT THE VICTIMS TO APOLOGIZE AND THEN THEY SOULD WATCH THE DARK NIGHT IN THE THEATRE WHERE THE TRADGEDY HAPPENED. GOD BLESS,,
GRANDMA

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
What nationality is Arnold? Ask the average person what nationality he is. They'll say American. Ask them what colour he is, they'll say white. Notice how the colour of a person plays a big role in how they're perceived? Nobody would give a shit if Arnold talked like that. And he has one hell of a tongue. "Get to da choppa!" is a classic line. Nobody thinks less of him because of it. the other way around?
Please. Everyone knows he's Australian.

qcf x2

Article is dumb and a pathetic overreaction, first page of thread is dumb and a pathetic overreaction, both are par for course on the internet and GAF, respectively.

TedNindo

This this and...THIS.

Edit: Yes they are really that sensitive and it's ridiculous.

I guess some Gaffers faint when they hear people talk in online games. I don't know where some of you are from. But don't come to Europe, or atleast the part where I live. You'd die from the lack of pc in casual conversations.

Friend

I don't see the issue here. Isn't America known for its right to bare arms? What a pathetic overreaction by the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom