• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a new wallet recommendation for < $350. Help!

Pryce

Holy shit. $350 for a fucking wallet.

The $20 I bought at Macy's has lasted me three years and counting. Good God.

I get that if you live in the US with $1 bills but in Europe the smallest bill is €5 so you always end up with a lot of change.

True. That's why I switched to card holder only and never use cash anymore. I only pick up cash if I know I need it for something, but that never happens.

Seems just like a budget guideline for the OP. Kinda like when you go buy a suit. I don't think he wants a 350 dollar wallet or bust.

That's correct. I'm open to anything of quality *up to* $350. My current open tabs have some at $75, some at $120, some at $150, some at $250.

I'm not exaggerating when I say there is zero wear and tear on this thing, even on the plastic window.

If you're against how it looks in general I understand, but if you're really only worried about it wearing out I don't think it would be a concern with that wallet. If it started looking old I'd just buy a new one, they're only $15.

interesting. I'll give it another look then. I really...bad experiences with windows, man. And I can't think of too many situations where I wouldn't just need to take it out if someone asks to see my ID. Like, I'm not going to hand someone my entire wallet. :D

Every single wallet that I've bought meets the OP's requirements and I've never spent more than $25 for a wallet.

I'm taking all recommendations if you have some. Seeing none in your post doesn't really help me or anyone else interested in the topic.

Jedi2016

Spending a little more is worth it. A genuine leather wallet (like the ones from Saddleback) will cost at least $50-$100, but will last pretty much forever.

That $20 wallet is going to fall apart.
So my $20-30 genuine leather wallet is what... a knock-off? Not actually leather?

And how long until it's supposed to fall apart? My previous one lasted about fifteen years, and it's still usable, I just felt like a change.

ShowDog

I've got a single fold Coach wallet that's held up great for years. Just quality dark brown leather. It's slim too. They're probably $100 or so.

https://www.endclothing.com/us/head...&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-A3K7r7UHFGGvYQ7yIcd4yg

I like this interior layout. shame about the gold stars.

I've got a single fold Coach wallet that's held up great for years. Just quality dark brown leather. It's slim too. They're probably $100 or so.

Yea they have a Fall sale going on right now too. I don't know of anyone that has a Coach wallet so I wasn't sure what to make of them. I'll give those more of a look.

Pockets for life.

xD

on the highly-inexpensive side of things, this one in black ran me $20 back in january of last year and it's still in perfect condition (there's a plastic insert for cards that's kinda falling apart at this point, but it's not actually part of the wallet)

andthebeatgoeson

taco543

These look useful as well as stylish...and not a gaudy $350.

Awesome post right here.

I really like these. Best thing I've seen in this thread. Not as expensive as I thought it would be too

EDIT: you got me actually considering buying this to replace my minimalist wallet, lol

Yeah no problem! I love it probably best wallet I've ever owned. Here's some pics of mine.
UIxJFAI.jpg

D8DUf2h.jpg

does the flap piece detach? not feeling that if not. also, a bit too conservative. trying to do something more lively this time around.

that flap piece in pictures #4 and #5 does detach, yeah. (i think that's what you're talking about? all i know is i set it aside somewhere months ago and forgot where i put it)

and that's totally fair, i just went for this because my last wallet was some ancient hot topic shit from like 2005

SeanTSC

Must be nice.

I've got a plain black leather wallet that cost me 10 bucks that I've been using for literally over 20 years.

DonShula

TGT

Dumb name but the product is simple and works great. Have had mine for awhile now and it hasn't lost its abulity to secure. Holds my stuff better than a regular wallet and not nearly as bulky.

I don't understand why people are dropping $500 on wallets. That's nearly the value of a damned ski pass. I will take my ski passes and use a $10 wallet.

That's not nice, that's just stupid.

Ghurka, this'll last a lifetime. The one I have isn't a removable pass case, but that shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.ghurka.com/wallet-with-pass-case-no-162-chestnut-leather

Classic is nice, but being right at the edge of my range it's probably going be be given a lower priority. Putting it on my list, though. Thanks!

that flap piece in pictures #4 and #5 does detach, yeah. (i think that's what you're talking about? all i know is i set it aside somewhere months ago and forgot where i put it)

and that's totally fair, i just went for this because my last wallet was some ancient hot topic shit from like 2005

okay cool. putting it on my list.

TGT

Dumb name but the product is simple and works great. Have had mine for awhile now and it hasn't lost its abulity to secure. Holds my stuff better than a regular wallet and not nearly as bulky.

oh i like these. very different. tyvm.

quite functional. putting the parliament and senate on my list, but still prefer a more interesting design.

Gucci has some nice simplistic designs and colors. Can find some on sale or just around your $350 range. They can cost more as well so you may be limited on selections.

The leather ones hold up nice for years with a little care and dont fall apart.

Minus_Me

I don't understand why people are dropping $500 on wallets. That's nearly the value of a damned ski pass. I will take my ski passes and use a $10 wallet.

Most people spending 500+ on wallets don't really need to make that choice. High income earners exist.

This rationale...my $500 is more well spent than yours...

guess what when that snow melts they still have wallets and your sitting looking at your photo on your pass?

Gucci has some nice simplistic designs and colors. Can find some on sale or just around your $350 range. They can cost more as well so you may be limited on selections.

The leather ones hold up nice for years with a little care and dont fall apart.

okay. we have a gucci store at the mall next to me (http://www.simon.com/mall/town-center-at-boca-raton/stores) along with several of the other brands mentioned in here. I'll head over there now and see what's what.

interesting! but probably not available soon? will watch vid

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is my next wallet, and is just under your budget.

I'm linking you to their Fat Herbie in the limited colors, and reverse colors, but check out the rest of their site as well.
These are just a bit funkier without being too crazy. If these are too big they have smaller types as well.

Limited Fat Herbie
https://www.ashlandleather.com/coll...t-herbie-limited-shell-cordovan-bifold-wallet

Reverse Fat Herbie
https://www.ashlandleather.com/collections/wallets/products/fat-herbie-shell-cordovan-reverse

Some examples:

nitewulf

Marginal utility. It's dependent on income. Someone who earns 25k may not be willing to spend $500 on a wallet. Someone who earns 200k may not think twice about it.

Velcoro

So my $20-30 genuine leather wallet is what... a knock-off? Not actually leather?

And how long until it's supposed to fall apart? My previous one lasted about fifteen years, and it's still usable, I just felt like a change.

my cousin has this wallet: https://www.ironheart.co.uk/hardware/ih-fw.html

and comparing it to my alpine swiss wallet I got on amazon for $15 it feels INSANELY different. how thick and sturdy it is. not to mention how the patina develops overtime as it ages. I can definitely appreciate it.

it looks something like this:

2014-01-07-134258.jpg

personally I could never justify spending that much on a wallet. my wallet feels like shit but I've had it for years and it works so whatever. its just a wallet. but you get what you pay for.

A wallet is something you'll use everyday of your life for years.

So I don't get what the issue is with wanting to spend a bit more and get something you really like.

I'm linking you to their Fat Herbie in the limited colors, and reverse colors, but check out the rest of their site as well.
These are just a bit funkier without being too crazy. If these are too big they have smaller types as well.

Limited Fat Herbie
https://www.ashlandleather.com/coll...t-herbie-limited-shell-cordovan-bifold-wallet

Reverse Fat Herbie
https://www.ashlandleather.com/collections/wallets/products/fat-herbie-shell-cordovan-reverse

Some examples:

very nice wallet, sir. putting it on my list. tyvm.

So I don't get what the issue is with wanting to spend a bit more and get something you really like.

Some will always boo or feign concern if you're willing or able to spend more than they are comfortable spending on a given product. You'd see the same sorts of posts if it was a car thread, shoe thread, phone thread, watch thread, jeans thread, food thread, etc. Just how it is.

Also, I thiink some managed to misread my very clear thread. I'm willing to spend *UP TO* a certain dollar amount. That doesn't mean I'm looking at only $350 wallets. It means anything from $0 --> $350 is on the table. Just needs to meet certain criteria, be of good quality (I can't go back to shit leather after experiencing quality leather), and be a little more fun than my usual wallet type.

okay. we have a gucci store at the mall next to me (http://www.simon.com/mall/town-center-at-boca-raton/stores) along with several of the other brands mentioned in here. I'll head over there now and see what's what.

interesting! but probably not available soon? will watch vid

You also have a Nieman Marcus, Saks and Nordstrom's there that may carry the various designer wallets mentioned. It's possible they may have some discounted on sale if it's the right time.

Shop around!

You also have a Nieman Marcus, Saks and Nordstrom's there that may carry the various designer wallets mentioned. It's possible they may have some discounted on sale if it's the right time.

Shop around!

Yep, that's the plan! I'll put 1.5 hours into the mall over here tonight and see what my options are. Then I'll probably sleep on it tonight and make the decision tomorrow.

I really do appreciate all of the suggestions and input so far. There are great options at every price point from $25 on up.

Cr0wn0

Limited Fat Herbie

Reverse Fat Herbie

Some examples:

Came to post this, I have a few of their wallets and I've bought them as gifts. Go for the Shell cordovan and you'll have a wallet for life.

I can't wrap my head around wallets costing that much.

My wallet isn't even worth 350 bucks if I had 350 bucks inside it and I've had it for 15 years without problems.

I mean, you do you man, but let me gape in awe for a moment or two.

leng jai

Every time you suggest spending more than $50 on clothing or something considered as fashion and you'll have people on here calling you irresponsible. A quality leather wallet can last for a decade for minimal wear, so I don't think it's outrageous to spend a few hundred on one if you have some many to spare. 350 might be a bit much for most people, but 200 can easily get you something great.

That Hardgraft bi fold wallet is nice, I'd go for that.

Damn I like that smart wallet. I wish it had more of an elaborate/cool design on the outside though. Just something "hip" but not ridiculous. Somewhere in between Bad Motherfucker and over-designed insignia's.

Wallet for under $350? Man, you should be able to pick up a great, reasonably durable (7+ year) wallet for under $50.........why spend $350 or even $100 on a wallet?

This isn't like a Coach bag is to women ---- you shove it in your pants and only pull it out for a few seconds of the day....

Edited for a TWSS opportunity :cool:

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

On neogaf you're not allowed to spend money on anything other than graphics cards without being made fun of.

On neogaf you're not allowed to spend money on anything other than graphics cards without being made fun of.

You forgot about those insanely priced collector editions with the gigantic toys that you can't unbox.

Honestly the wallets hold value more than those..just saying

Well I mean, if I were going to spend almost four times my monthly food budget on a wallet, it needs to be made of dinosaur leather cloned from DNA captured from a fly's stomach contents or some shit.

But if I made ten times what I make, splurging on a 100~200 dollar leather wallet with some primo stitching and tight pockets that'd age like wine wouldn't be out of the ballpark, it'd just still be something I wouldn't do. I can understand the appeal for something that's fashionable and lasts a long while without degrading, but for 100 dollars I'd probably just buy 4 wallets that'd last 8 years each minimum.

Like it or not, most of the country understands this...largesse in a different way than people who -- whether earned or not -- have the money to do it. So when I see "350 dollar wallet" I think "damn I might kill a man to have enough money to throw around like that and not have to worry about how I'll pay the bills this month since Irma put me on furlough." I mean, I'll be fine because of financial maneuvering, and it's not like we don't spend a bunch of money on collector's editions of games to sit on a shelf and look pretty -- but not pretty enough to share it with everyone -- but also the game only lasts a ten thousandth of the time the wallet will.

Arttemis

Spending a little more is worth it. A genuine leather wallet (like the ones from Saddleback) will cost at least $50-$100, but will last pretty much forever.

That $20 wallet is going to fall apart.

I've been using a $20 wallet for over a decade now. What the fuck?

Top Bottom