• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a new wallet recommendation for < $350. Help!

And people are bitching over $500 XBox One X?

I know one can spend all kinds of money on products but a $350 wallet is kinda nuts. $100 would get you an amazing one.

Laieon

Spending a little more is worth it. A genuine leather wallet (like the ones from Saddleback) will cost at least $50-$100, but will last pretty much forever.

That $20 wallet is going to fall apart.

I'm 27, I've had my current wallet since I was in middle school. Pretty sure I picked it up at Target, it's doing just fine.

dohdough

I find people that buy $350 wallets to impress other people with their wallets as if it were a Prada bag amusing.

Carry on.

This thread is gold.

Oddly enough, I have a Prada wallet that no one would suspect would be an expensive Prada wallet unless I told them because most people don't give a shit about the wallet you have unless its gaudy like a monogrammed LV or Gucci. I've only been asked about it maybe 3 times in about 15 years because it's shaped for euro currency and the card slots are vertical instead of horizontal. It cost around $300 and I'd gladly spend more than that because it only pops up for sale once every few years and I love the design. It's not rare because it's exclusive, but because it's so unpopular... Lolz

Ptaaty

Never had a wallet fall apart....just loosen up. Putting 2-3 cards in a slot, then later just one in the slot, etc...after a few years they start to fall out and I buy another.

This thread restarted my stalled research for a minimal type wallet. I'm thinking one area for cards, up to 5 or so (not indiv slots), money clip outside, ideally with loop or something to add a cord or key ring.

FYI - for the plebs...TJ Maxx will get you 30-40 leather wallets from Kenneth cole / Tommy types for $10-15.

I just got a bellroy all conditions wallet, to replace my coach wallet I lost =(. Sits in my front pocket and water resistant. Might get a wider thinner zip wallet in the future

Want my advice? Here is it.

Bought in 2001. Hot topic. Some rust on the buttons, a few loose threads. Been through washing machines, to the bottom of deep freshwater lakes, arctic conditions, and near-jungle conditions.

For all that abuse? I paid 5 bucks. And I am ashamed to say that my dad has a three fold wallet from the 70s he got... god only knows where that still serves him well. Don't overspend on a wallet when something cheap can serve you for decades or more. It's a wallet, to be pulled out once a day. Who cares if it has class, odds are nobody will see it. And if they do, say it's just what works and holds it's own and leave it at that.

How did you recover it from the lake?

Want my advice? Here is it.

Bought in 2001. Hot topic. Some rust on the buttons, a few loose threads. Been through washing machines, to the bottom of deep freshwater lakes, arctic conditions, and near-jungle conditions.

For all that abuse? I paid 5 bucks. And I am ashamed to say that my dad has a three fold wallet from the 70s he got... god only knows where that still serves him well. Don't overspend on a wallet when something cheap can serve you for decades or more. It's a wallet, to be pulled out once a day. Who cares if it has class, odds are nobody will see it. And if they do, say it's just what works and holds it's own and leave it at that.

Looks like a wallet that one would buy from Hot Topic. Does it have a spot to attach the chain?

+1 to the Bellroy micro sleeve. Carries exactly what I need, and nothing more: 3 slim pockets for ID, credit card, and debit card. 1 or 2 bills. It can technically hold more but I feel like that defeats the purpose of this wallet. Fits into any pocket, stays out of the way. Things like insurance cards or membership cards I carry as photos on my iPhone Notes/iCloud. I've used my debit card maybe twice in the past three years, so I would really like to get rid of that somehow, but I begrudgingly acknowledge that once in a blue moon I'll need cash or the credit card brand won't be accepted or it trips a fraud alert.

Using a rubber band is more work and with a money clip I worry that it'll scratch other pocket contents. I have yet to find another leather sleeve wallet that is as low profile and small square area as the Bellroy's, but I'm open to change. $65 is a lot of money for 4 credit card-sized rectangles of leather stitched together, but if it lasts me 8 more years then it was worth it, especially since no one else is making this style.

Jake.

i usually buy a wallet every 5 years or so. i currently have a cdg zip (made in spain) and previously had a TOJ. i live in australia and travel a bit so a coin compartnr is always a must for me.

Just got this one as a gift, I think it looks real nice:

http://www.coach.com/coach-mens-wallets-trifold-wallet-in-sport-calf-leather/74948.html

74948_mah_a0

74948_mah_a8

edit:
it also has a pocket under the card slots on the right side that isn't shown off in the pics. I'm using it for misc. junk I keep in my wallet like business cards and stuff.

besada

Banned
OP, just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting buying a Target wallet. Get a nice, black Italian leather trifold, which you should be able to do for $100 or about there. Real leather, hand stitching.

You're going to be in a lot of different outfits over a long period of time in your life; a black trifold will match everything you're going to wear, from jeans to a tuxedo. And when you're fifty, you're not going to feel the need to buy a new one because your current wallet is jazzed up for a fashion-disaster twenty year old.

My gf approves of the Bellroy High Line in Blue Steel. I'd get the smaller one, but Thai currency is wide &#128555;

Is a blue wallet a bad idea?

kendrid

Banned

randome

Damn guys who cares how he spends his money? Maybe $350 isn't a lot to him and/or having a nice wallet is important to him. Whatever; it's his preference. It'd be too expensive for me but we are not all the same person. Not sure why people keep replying over and over with how it's insane that he wants such an expensive wallet (which tbh was my initial reaction as well lol).

Damn guys who cares how he spends his money? Maybe $350 isn't a lot to him and/or having a nice wallet is important to him. Whatever; it's his preference. It'd be too expensive for me but we are not all the same person. Not sure why people keep replying over and over with how it's insane that he wants such an expensive wallet (which tbh was my initial reaction as well lol).

NeoGAF hot take culture

I don't get why people get all salty over designer goods and brag about having some cheap $5 Walmart alternative thats "just as good".

Buying designer goods is more akin to buying/collecting art pieces than it is to just buying clothes/goods for functionality.

Yes you may be paying for the name, the same way an art collector is paying extravagant sums of money to buy an original piece when he can just screen print an identical one at Walmart.

yyr

Holy shit at $350 for a damn wallet. Think the most I ever spent was $20.

This is also me.

I generally get mine from a flea market or similar. I use it for a good 5 years or so until it's falling apart, then I get another one...

snap

Banned
rich people am i right

and to think, some of the same people buying $300 wallets are some of the same people complaining that poor people get too many entitlements from the government, shouldn't be allowed to buy candy or soda, and that millenials are struggling not because of a lack of jobs or crippling student loan debt, but because "they buy too much avocado toast"

Thought I would never spend more than 25$ on a wallet before this thread.

Those Eskter wallets looks really nice, been needing a new wallet for a while. Thanks for thread!

Pretty tired, boys. I've "narrowed" it down to 26, many of which are stocked locally. I got to the mall with only about 30 min before it closed so I didn't really get to see too much. But I did find that anything taller than 3.5" is 100% a no-go, and I'm looking to stay around .75" thickness at most.

Right now the least expensive on my list of finalists is $89 (Ekster) and the most expensive is $390. Most are in the $100-$150 range. I'll head to the mall around noon tomorrow (today) and won't leave until I have a wallet (unless they don't have a style I want or I decide to go with something not carried locally, in which case I'll come home and order.

thanks again for all the recommendations, and hopefully the thread has benefited others.

How about this OP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU9TK35/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not conservative, is well-reviewed, kinda sleek and modern, and won't cost a stupid amount of money for a thing that's only valuable because it holds valuable things.

thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a good look in the morning.

I know this is more then OP wanted to spend but I have had this wallet for 5 years and it still looks brand new.

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/multiple-wallet-damier-graphite-000614

just enough personality to warrant more attention. my mall has a LV store so I'll stop in for a closer look tomorrow. thanks for the tip.

Did anyone make a joke about getting ur wallet stolen and the thief leaving everything that was inside it

lmao

and to think, some of the same people buying $300 wallets are some of the same people complaining that poor people get too many entitlements from the government, shouldn't be allowed to buy candy or soda, and that millenials are struggling not because of a lack of jobs or crippling student loan debt, but because "they buy too much avocado toast"

Feel free to quote some posts to prove your point

This is my next wallet, and is just under your budget.

I'm linking you to their Fat Herbie in the limited colors, and reverse colors, but check out the rest of their site as well.
These are just a bit funkier without being too crazy. If these are too big they have smaller types as well.

Limited Fat Herbie
https://www.ashlandleather.com/coll...t-herbie-limited-shell-cordovan-bifold-wallet

Reverse Fat Herbie
https://www.ashlandleather.com/collections/wallets/products/fat-herbie-shell-cordovan-reverse

Some examples:

Glad to see this has already been represented.

OP, don't worry about people making fun of your proposition. To me, leather is more than just utility, and I'm sure that's how it is with you as well. And at $300, there's nothing better than Horween shell cordovan. So without further ado,

Grand Cabrio ID Money Clip Wallet in Horween Shell Cordovan Burgundy No.8 - Front Pocket Wallet - Award Winning Wallet - https://www.etsy.com/listing/529531088/grand-cabrio-id-money-clip-wallet-in?show_sold_out_detail=1 (shows as sold, but all you need to do is contact Norm, who is to me the best in the world with regards to leatherworks. His products are Parsons School of Design winners by the way.)

il_570xN.1249562482_m74t.jpg

J. Michael Ashland's Shell Wallets - https://jmleathersmith.com/shop/shell-cordovan-wallet/ (You can customize not only the colors, but even the actual style of the wallet. Just contact him.)

green-shell-cordovan-wallet-570x570.jpg

burgundy-shell-570x570.jpg

Mitchell Money Clip - http://shop.mitchell-leather.com/Mo...hell-Cordovan-MCW-Burgundy-Shell-Cordovan.htm (The most minimalist wallet choice I'm giving you)

Wallet%20Catagory%20Pic%20MCW.jpg

Flat Head's Shell Cordovan and Brass Plate Wallet - http://www.selfedge.com/wallets?product_id=1357 (This is from Shinki, believed to be the finest tannery in Japan. They have other wallets, but they're at $550.)

FH_WALLET_BRN_0001-830x1246.jpg

BONUS: A look at a year-old Flat Head Wild Child Cordovan Wallet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19vOYpQIlf8

good thing this doesn't apply to the OP in the slightest or else this post might have a point existing in this thread

Sorry, but anyone who has a normal paying job, at least in Germany, can afford a 350&#8364; wallet if they want...

Im not rich btw, have a 360&#8364; wallet and dont think what you are saying is how I think....

A friend of mine bought a $1000 dollar wallet once. Don't ask me why. I laughed my ass off when he lost it.

lawd. one thing I've never lost is a wallet. I won't be starting now. :D

@Solemn_In_Berlin, thanks man. those are all glorious. I'm struggling to know what to do with all these options.

Top Bottom