• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord Psyduck's SCEJ TGS Press Conference Thread [Over]

Basch

Busaiku said:
There was Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Daze, and Kiroku the Brave.

That's it? As much as I love Gravity Daze, this leaves much to be desired. I remember when they used to develop games like The Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Folklore, Legend of Legaia, and Siren. JapanStudio is a DeadStudio. :'(

SamBishop

Banned
Kagari said:
Yoshida's keynote tomorrow?

As I understand it, that's meant to be more of a dissection of the actual functionality of the unit, the various bits of the ecosystem and so on. I mean, by the end of it, you'll get Shu's awesome, no-bullshit explanation of things, but I wasn't under the impression that they were using it as a platform to actually launch/showcase new stuff.

Then again, plenty of this conference was spent actually detailing a lot of stuff, so I'd absolutely love to be wrong. All I know is that I will be sequestered far away from contact with the outside world while I write a strategy guide, so this was supposed to be a chance for me to geek out with everyone and talk about some new announcements. That most definitely isn't happening now.

antonz

Entire thing felt rushed and of Sony panicking and feeling the need to have an event to counter Nintendos event. They even tried to be coy about it on twitter after the Nintendo event with they had their turn now tommorrow is ours.

Shame they didnt bother to watch Nintendos event to know how to counter it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has there ever been official word on whether or not the Vita will be region free? I'll be getting one anyway, but I'd like to know.

Vamphuntr

Kagari said:
Listen to the widsom of Sam Bishop.

!

I guess it wasn't the objective of the conference at all then. Seems like they only meant to talk about hardware. Hopefully third party themselves will reveal them at their conference.

SamBishop

Banned
antonz said:
Entire thing felt rushed and of Sony panicking and feeling the need to have an event to counter Nintendos event. They even tried to be coy about it on twitter after the Nintendo event with they had their turn now tommorrow is ours.

Shame they didnt bother to watch Nintendos event to know how to counter it.

To be fair, these things are most definitely locked-in far in advance. Also, this was set quite a while out, before Nintendo announced their little shindig that did a great job of reminding people that the 3DS is the DS' successor and has plenty of stuff coming. Events like this are more like chess matches in that there's more pre-planning in anticipation of stuff rather than just blind, last-second moves (to say nothing of the ability to actually make that stuff happen in just a few hours).

Zefah said:
Has there ever been official word on whether or not the Vita will be region free? I'll be getting one anyway, but I'd like to know.

Region-free, yep. However, I believe Stores may be region-specific, as I don't think the Vita supports multiple users currently. Basically it'll be the PS3 DLC situation all over again, but without the workaround of just buying stuff with a local account for the games you get. Given that I haven't used a consumer unit yet, though, that's purely me pulling the latter part of the info out of my ass. But yes, region-free.

SamBishop said:
As I understand it, that's meant to be more of a dissection of the actual functionality of the unit, the various bits of the ecosystem and so on. I mean, by the end of it, you'll get Shu's awesome, no-bullshit explanation of things, but I wasn't under the impression that they were using it as a platform to actually launch/showcase new stuff.

Then again, plenty of this conference was spent actually detailing a lot of stuff, so I'd absolutely love to be wrong. All I know is that I will be sequestered far away from contact with the outside world while I write a strategy guide, so this was supposed to be a chance for me to geek out with everyone and talk about some new announcements. That most definitely isn't happening now.

This is exactly what I am thinking, also isn't it the first time they have had the conference before the Keynote? I'm not hoping to see anything major from Yoshida's Keynote but I'd also love to be proven wrong.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think we might have spotted the first couple of hardware issues. Units refusing to start up, and touch screen lag.

Brb, starting a new thread.

DiscoJer

EVIL said:
where is my mh4 for ps3 and vita?

In a parallel universe where Nintendo doesn't exist and the Cubs have won a world series in the last 100 years?

Also where David Hasselhoff is president.

Jinfash said:
I think we might have spotted the first couple of hardware issues. Units refusing to start up, and touch screen lag.

Brb, starting a new thread.

Wasn't that the guy's fault for turning the thing on and then turning it off a couple times?

antonz

SamBishop said:
To be fair, these things are most definitely locked-in far in advance. Also, this was set quite a while out, before Nintendo announced their little shindig that did a great job of reminding people that the 3DS is the DS' successor and has plenty of stuff coming. Events like this are more like chess matches in that there's more pre-planning in anticipation of stuff rather than just blind, last-second moves (to say nothing of the ability to actually make that stuff happen in just a few hours).

Oh for sure. It just comes across as so poorly planned. The thing is launching in 3 months and they basically wall of texted everybody

EVIL

DiscoJer said:
In a parallel universe where Nintendo doesn't exist and the Cubs have won a world series in the last 100 years?

Also where David Hasselhoff is president.
*goes out to find a dimension sliding apparatus

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SamBishop said:

Region-free, yep. However, I believe Stores may be region-specific, as I don't think the Vita supports multiple users currently. Basically it'll be the PS3 DLC situation all over again, but without the workaround of just buying stuff with a local account for the games you get. Given that I haven't used a consumer unit yet, though, that's purely me pulling the latter part of the info out of my ass. But yes, region-free.

Awesome! I'll be getting a Japanese unit like my PSP and PS3, then.

Thanks for the confirmation!

SamBishop

Banned
antonz said:
Oh for sure. It just comes across as so poorly planned. The thing is launching in 3 months and they basically wall of texted everybody

Worse, they turned what should have been a reveal of a bunch of stuff that the rest of the world can't play because we're not in Japan into a text adventure. I'm still reeling from the fact that there was so little actual video shown of the games themselves.

I mean, I get it. If all my years in the industry have taught me anything, it's that 99% of games come together in like the last week before a game hits gold master state. I don't think devs have the luxury of forking their code to make a TGS-only build when they have to hit launch (though there are a lot of playable games at the show, obviously). I know some studios actually make specific builds just for trailers, and maybe that won't work.

I guess I'm just pissed that TGS is, yet again, ignored by the west. GamesCom has become a major milestone. TGS? Ha! Stupid Japanese kids won't see new versions of our games! Rargh rargh rage about having to cowtow to NDAs and friends that get me all hyped for a no-show.

Holy crap, all my responses are turning into novellas. Sorry. I'll shut up now and get back to work.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SamBishop said:

Thank god it's region free.

SamBishop

Banned
Kagari said:
Thank god it's region free.

Watch Yoshida cockpunch me with news that it isn't while I'm incommunicado just to really rub this in.

[edit] I don't really think that'll happen, I'm just kinda rolling with this latest wave of WTF-ness. I honestly won't even know what happens until probably next week.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SamBishop said:
This is the best news. I'm quite happy to see this confirmed.

Minions

I'd like to see transfarring games come with a promo code in the PS3/Vita Package. Remake bundles sell for $40/ea... so have them come with a promo code to knock $20 off the PSV or PS3 version (depending on the one you bought) allowing you to have both the VITA and PS3 versions for a total for $60. That seems like the best strategy and I'd love to see them put it into affect. The promo code could be $20 off on the Playstation Store and you download the other version to your ps3 or psv.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
SONy, I'M DISAPPOINTED

Averon

That was a very 'meh' conference. After all these years I still can't believe Sony doesn't understand that these "big" PCs are all about spectacle and presentation as much as information. Why did we need to see a live demo of some UI features when it could have been done much faster and slicker in a video form and without the risk of showing the units embarrassingly slow load time? Ono and Kojima was on stage far too long to announce some ports and remakes. The NicoNico and 3G details could've been a quick 5-min video showing the features and pricing. The UI and other technical features should have been the first third of the conference and the rest dedicated to games to end the conference in a high note.

Does anyone have a link to the whole conference by any chance?

Edit: WOW! No Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD?!?!?! Of all the games to be wrong in that rumour list...

Nuclear Muffin said:
Does anyone have a link to the whole conference by any chance?

Edit: WOW! No Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD?!?!?! Of all the games to be wrong in that rumour list...

seems like another mistake by miscommunication/identification like 4 Heroes to Bravely Default

they showed Monster Hunter 3rd running on the Vita, as they did months ago.

FoxSpirit

Dark Schala said:
This is the best news. I'm quite happy to see this confirmed.

Well, we still only have that one quote from SCEE, don't we?
Because that's seriously the saving grace and the reason why I still don't own a 3DS.

anddo0

I've seen far worse in terms of embarrassing stage demos and other goofs. The conference was just plain boring.. Outside of FFX HD, snooze fest. I want my two hours of sleep back. :/

1-D_FTW

Combichristoffersen said:
FF X remake? Why? Just.. why? Couldn't they have remade one of the good ones instead, like FF XII?

Because that would have required redoing the assets big-time. A total remake. With X, they can basically port it to HD and people will be relatively happy with the "remaster."

theBishop

Banned
Even if this was a "show the final hardware" demonstration, there was no info on internal/removable storage. That's a pretty big deal. Or maybe I slept through that part.

matmanx1

Really considering the import on the Vita for this winter. One part of me is completely against it in that if I wait a few months I can get pretty much the same thing for far less money. The rabid tech geek fanboy in me is frothing at the mouth though and wants it sooner rather than later.

I'm not displeased with the software lineup for launch. In fact I think it's better than the original PSP and original DS's launch lineup by a good margin. The memory card prices are rough but not unexpected. I think I could be comfortable at around 16GB as that's what I have in my current PSP and put plenty of PSN and PS1 classics on that.

SuperSonic1305 said:
3DS is Nintendo's dreamcast confirmed?

Being a dumbass, but honestly this is pretty embarassing. We have the money, we have the technology - let's remake 13 year old games we at least know have sold once before.
Haha, oh man, I missed this one last night. FYI, I'm no Nintendo fanboy, but I thought it was worth calling Sony out at this point in last night's conference.

FF X remake? Why? Just.. why? Couldn't they have remade one of the good ones instead, like FF XII?
My thoughts exactly. Or FFIX.

Fingers crossed for something good today.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
1-D_FTW said:
Because that would have required redoing the assets big-time. A total remake. With X, they can basically port it to HD and people will be relatively happy with the "remaster."

The assets in XII already look much better than X, so I can't imagine why they'd have to do much more work on XII than they would have to do on X?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I watched this until they announced FFX. Of all the FF games to update... ugh.

mclem

The assets in XII already look much better than X, so I can't imagine why they'd have to do much more work on XII than they would have to do on X?

I think he may have thought you said VII. That would fit with his explanation.

1-D_FTW said:
No it wouldn't. FFXII is already much closer to a ps3 quality game than FFX, which even has some old school pre-rendered shit in it.

Top Bottom