• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen dated - Oct. 28 (NA) Oct 31 (EU)

stolin

It's still up and pre-orderable on Amazon.com. I just tweeted them about why it's not available on Amazon.ca, we'll see what happens.

It's back up on Amazon.ca now. I just contacted customer service today and got my pre-order/discount back too.

I sent Amazon customer service an email and asked to have it re-added to my order. I got this response so it's all sorted for me.

Hello from Amazon.ca.
I understand your concern regarding this issue.
As per your request, I've added the "Lords of The Fallen - PlayStation 4 - Standard Edition" to your order.

Also, applied the E3 Pre-Order offer.
For your reference original price of this "Lords of The Fallen - PlayStation 4 - Standard Edition" item is $64.99.
After, 30% discount, the item price is $45.50.

Buburibon

Wtf? Are you serious? You damn right I want them to show me some of the world like Towns and side activities, obviously the game has to have more then just a combat system for crying out loud.

Nobody wants an extensive surge of videos detailing everything, just a tiny tidbit as seriously these same area and nothing but combat videos are putting me off.

It is their job to explain in detail what their game is like and what it offers and even show some of it,our job to evaluate and see if it is worth spending money on.(Rockstar trailers are perfect and the kind of thing I'm talking about)

It seems as though Lords of the Fallen plays very much like a Souls game, so it's likely there won't be any meaningful character interactions, towns or side activities. It's one of those games where you find yourself alone in a hostile, dark world, only to fight your way out of it. Combat is pretty much all there is to it. :)

The PS4's getting Bloodbourne but this might be the nearest thing to a Souls game on the Xbox 1/PC for a long while. If they do what they claim to be doing, it might do a lot better than people think, especially in the longer term.

ElTopo

Banned
The PS4's getting Bloodbourne but this might be the nearest thing to a Souls game on the Xbox 1/PC for a long while. If they do what they claim to be doing, it might do a lot better than people think, especially in the longer term.

What killed it for me was the gameplay demo/preview and I'm not sure if it's been posted yet in this thread but during the preview the player is traversing the outside of a castle. At a certain point the game stops and cuts to an archer to let you know that there's an archer.And it does that for the boss too, it plainly tells you that boss is changing strategy and all that.

Part of the appeal (at least for me) of the Souls games is that it isn't automated. The combat and hints are not automated. That's partly the reason why I don't like modern games, I feel like everything is dumbed down and automated like in the Arkham games and you hold down run Batman automatically leaps and bounds from surface to surface. I don't like that. I like an honest to god challenge.

What killed it for me was the gameplay demo/preview and I'm not sure if it's been posted yet in this thread but during the preview the player is traversing the outside of a castle. At a certain point the game stops and cuts to an archer to let you know that there's an archer.And it does that for the boss too, it plainly tells you that boss is changing strategy and all that.

Part of the appeal (at least for me) of the Souls games is that it isn't automated. The combat and hints are not automated. That's partly the reason why I don't like modern games, I feel like everything is dumbed down and automated like in the Arkham games and you hold down run Batman automatically leaps and bounds from surface to surface. I don't like that. I like an honest to god challenge.

Yeah, that's why I said "if they pull it off". It doesn't need to be a carbon copy of the souls games. I'm no souls expert but the people that are have said this plays pretty similarly. I'm sure there will be differences but if it is close enough, it will sell decently. If Bloodbourne does well on the PS4 (almost a foregone conclusion imo) then From could very well end up being PS exclusive all gen. That leaves a pretty big void to fill.

Orayn

Yeah, that's why I said "if they pull it off". It doesn't need to be a carbon copy of the souls games. I'm no souls expert but the people that are have said this plays pretty similarly. I'm sure there will be differences but if it is close enough, it will sell decently. If Bloodbourne does well on the PS4 (almost a foregone conclusion imo) then From could very well end up being PS exclusive all gen. That leaves a pretty big void to fill.

Pretty sure Kadokawa will have more of a say on what From does than Sony, and they would probably prefer the more profitable multiplat series.

jimboton

Then you'll just love to know what they've seen fit to include as Steam pre-order dlc. I mention it because of your Arkham comparison :

'Delve into the history of the mysterious Keystone Monastery in an exclusive Monk’s Decipher Quest to loot a magical artifact, the Compass, which helps locate hidden items and rooms nearby.'

Tell me that doesn't sound awfully like some sort of 'detective vision'. I'm all for Lords of the Fallen to be its own game and have its own distinctive features but that's un souls-like in the worst possible way.

Shit like that is what may kill the game for me if it turns out to be true.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm honestly getting tired of the same bloody videos focusing on familiar looking areas and combat after combat, yes it looks enticing but show a bit more of your game besides the combat for crying out loud.

Howe about towns? Cities? extensive NPC interaction?

I'm very skeptical about this game, yet it looks great and I want it to be successful if they can deliver.

Have you played Dark Souls, the game which this seems to be heavily inspired by?

You assume that there are tons of bustling towns, cities, and extensive NPC interaction when there really might just not be.

In Dark Souls combat is king and it's where the majority of the games fun comes from - the interesting and well developed combat and enemy encounters. Along with that you've got the really interesting and creative environments to explore, and the leveling system/weapon and armor upgrades, but there aren't really side missions or stuff like that.

NeededSleep

I have Fantasy life preordered out of that list, atleast can harrass Almostheathen with the game :)

Passing on Dragon Age till probably January.

Shadow of Morordor looks great, though I really want preorder it, but I know Destiny will be soaking up most of my time still.

I might just end up picking up this in October though out of the others games coming out.. Strange for some reason I thought I remembered reading the game was gonna be around 40. Maybe im thinking of something else.

ElTopo

Banned
Then you'll just love to know what they've seen fit to include as Steam pre-order dlc. I mention it because of your Arkham comparison :

'Delve into the history of the mysterious Keystone Monastery in an exclusive Monk’s Decipher Quest to loot a magical artifact, the Compass, which helps locate hidden items and rooms nearby.'

Tell me that doesn't sound awfully like some sort of 'detective vision'. I'm all for Lords of the Fallen to be its own game and have its own distinctive features but that's un souls-like in the worst possible way.

Shit like that is what may kill the game for me if it turns out to be true.

That sounds fucking terrible.

Some Nobody

Have you played Dark Souls, the game which this seems to be heavily inspired by?

You assume that there are tons of bustling towns, cities, and extensive NPC interaction when there really might just not be.

Sounding more and more like the game isn't for me, honestly. Which is fine--it's certainly got it's own market.

Maffis

I will buy this game. Seems to be a more arcadey form of Dark Souls. Also, more games like this is not a bad thing. It still seems challenging but just less punishing.

bryanee

Has this been delayed in Europe? Amazon UK have taken the release date off and my pre-order has changed to "we need more time to give you an estimated shipping etc"

Apologies for the bump.

Jaeger

I'm going to keep my eye on this. It doesn't look bad. And part of me likes clone games. Nothing wrong with more of what you like.

Krakn3Dfx

Seriously interested in this game, but probably going to hold off for post-launch impressions. Could be one of the best games to come out this fall, or it could be a huge disappointment, I can't decide which based on the amount of information I have.

Ferr986

I'll wait for impressions but if they are positive I will totally buy it.
A lite Dark Souls will be good for the wait of Bloodborne.

bigmac996

Played it at Comic Con and it's definitely a fun game. The camera was terrible though. Hopefully they'll fix it for the release.

mekes

Received my copy this morning, thought I would share a few spoiler free impressions. I love the Souls games, and this game is somewhat (to very) similar, so I am judging in comparison, since you can sense the appreciation of those games from the creators of LOTF..

Gameplay is nice. Its a little faster than Souls, smoother perhaps (than the PS3 versions for sure). So far I'm only using weapons, no magic, but the dodge mechanic works well and you have to make use of correct timing otherwise you will take some big hits. I'd kind of say it sits somewhere in between Souls and Bloodborne. It feels a touch more accessible, but only a small amount. You obviously have a shield in this game but skillful players wont always need it, but you will need your dodge in that case. Its good here, it immediately feels comparable on some levels to a From game. Its good, if you like Souls, you'll like this. Something that I really like, because this might help those not so fond of the Souls games, is that the evasion and fighting mechanics are explained to the player in a tutorial section at the beginning of the game in the midst of a fight. This is good as it will put everybody on an equal footing right at the start. Also, just want to say, world destruction is better than Souls and the Bloodborne demo. I'm just saying! I like to smash things up.

Presentation is good. I wasn't a fan of the art style when watching videos, but I've instantly taken a liking to it while playing. For some reason Mordor/Diablo/Souls seems to stick as an overall feel to what I am seeing on the screen. Its not a bad thing for me, I like it now that I am playing it. While playing it feels more like Souls, its the cut scenes that give me the Mordor/Diablo feel. The menu system is great, reminds me of Diablo on PS4, never tried the PC version so I don't know if it is different there. There is a Lore section thrown in, nice touch but I don't have much in there for now - definitely something to keep an eye on. The graphics are good, easy to see its a next gen only game, they've done a good job here, mist effects, seems to have AF (ha). It looks and feels fluid in motion. I know a big thing that people noticed from videos was screen tearing and it is here, but not as evident as shown in the videos we have seen. I'd say half as evident. I don't think its bad enough to serve as a serious distraction to the game, as the gameplay itself is really fun so far. I have no patch applied as there is none yet, but hopefully one will come for this issue. Something worth noting, but, I seem to notice it a little more in cramped areas rather than open ones. I feel the need to repeat, its not as bad as the videos, it was made to seem worse by the captures in my opinion. What I am seeing will not ruin the game.

Overall thoughts. I will play this to completion, something I rarely do these days. I can tell already that this game will be fun throughout. I see it as a homage to the Souls games. Gameplay wise, some will actually prefer this. You can tell the game has been lovingly created, something I don't always notice or pay attention to in the games, but the way the devs have spoken of the game and the audience they hope to build for it, they have presented a game that is worthy of your time. Its really fun because it plays well, is a challenge, has nice gameplay mechanics and sounds fantastic. I really recommend it based on the short time I've spent on it so far.

For those on the fence, please take this as a recommendation to buy the game. If you are a Souls fan like me, its a game that you can feel grateful for and a game worth supporting. I'm saying its not a game you want to let drop in price before you purchase, its worthy of your full retail monies :)

If anybody has any questions about the game please feel free. I wasn't expecting to receive it today, it was a nice surprise. I'm sure plenty of others will have the game from today onwards, I hope people have bought it. If not, I'd like to think that people will support this game as it has plenty going for it and a real solid addition to my collection. I think it may turn out to be my favorite PS4 game so far.

Skux

Thanks for your impressions mekes, I think this will scratch the Souls itch for a lot of people until Bloodborne.

mekes

Thanks for your impressions mekes, I think this will scratch the Souls itch for a lot of people until Bloodborne.

My pleasure! Souls games were a breath of fresh air for me last gen and represent a type of game I hope to see a lot more of. I think you are absolutely right and it feels a fine game to spend a few months on, it should help that Souls craving. Just depends on whether people will let it, lets hope they will!

Tizoc

Just a heads up to any GAFfers in the middle east, PS4 ver. is out, so check the small independent shops and they might have it, as the usual shop i frequent got it and messaged me about it.

Based on above impression will get this if it goes on sale during the Winter Seal =)
Truth be told, I appreciate the Souls games but they are too much for me to get past the first few hours DX

Received my copy this morning, thought I would share a few spoiler free impressions. I love the Souls games, and this game is somewhat (to very) similar, so I am judging in comparison, since you can sense the appreciation of those games from the creators of LOTF...

Pre-order
not cancelled
. Sounds really good. I hope it's a bit longer than some people are saying.

mekes

The shadows and lighting in the game are great. Just fought an enemy in a hallway by some stairs and the light reflection and shadows were pretty top notch.

Screen tearing is there tho. Just had an extra look just for it, upwards especially, where you have lots of different contrasts, such as light seeping in through thin framed windows, it is noticeable. Still not as bad as the videos, but absolutely noticeable if you are looking. Not so much in the midst of action tho. It really feels like it is coming and going, its not always evident. Otherwise a fantastic looking game that packs a great amount of atmosphere, you can tell it is not cross gen. A patch for the tearing would make it an amazing looking game.

GHG

Received my copy this morning, thought I would share a few spoiler free impressions. I love the Souls games, and this game is somewhat (to very) similar, so I am judging in comparison, since you can sense the appreciation of those games from the creators of LOTF..

Gameplay is nice. Its a little faster than Souls, smoother perhaps (than the PS3 versions for sure). So far I'm only using weapons, no magic, but the dodge mechanic works well and you have to make use of correct timing otherwise you will take some big hits. I'd kind of say it sits somewhere in between Souls and Bloodborne. It feels a touch more accessible, but only a small amount. You obviously have a shield in this game but skillful players wont always need it, but you will need your dodge in that case. Its good here, it immediately feels comparable on some levels to a From game. Its good, if you like Souls, you'll like this. Something that I really like, because this might help those not so fond of the Souls games, is that the evasion and fighting mechanics are explained to the player in a tutorial section at the beginning of the game in the midst of a fight. This is good as it will put everybody on an equal footing right at the start. Also, just want to say, world destruction is better than Souls and the Bloodborne demo. I'm just saying! I like to smash things up.

Presentation is good. I wasn't a fan of the art style when watching videos, but I've instantly taken a liking to it while playing. For some reason Mordor/Diablo/Souls seems to stick as an overall feel to what I am seeing on the screen. Its not a bad thing for me, I like it now that I am playing it. While playing it feels more like Souls, its the cut scenes that give me the Mordor/Diablo feel. The menu system is great, reminds me of Diablo on PS4, never tried the PC version so I don't know if it is different there. There is a Lore section thrown in, nice touch but I don't have much in there for now - definitely something to keep an eye on. The graphics are good, easy to see its a next gen only game, they've done a good job here, mist effects, seems to have AF (ha). It looks and feels fluid in motion. I know a big thing that people noticed from videos was screen tearing and it is here, but not as evident as shown in the videos we have seen. I'd say half as evident. I don't think its bad enough to serve as a serious distraction to the game, as the gameplay itself is really fun so far. I have no patch applied as there is none yet, but hopefully one will come for this issue. Something worth noting, but, I seem to notice it a little more in cramped areas rather than open ones. I feel the need to repeat, its not as bad as the videos, it was made to seem worse by the captures in my opinion. What I am seeing will not ruin the game.

Overall thoughts. I will play this to completion, something I rarely do these days. I can tell already that this game will be fun throughout. I see it as a homage to the Souls games. Gameplay wise, some will actually prefer this. You can tell the game has been lovingly created, something I don't always notice or pay attention to in the games, but the way the devs have spoken of the game and the audience they hope to build for it, they have presented a game that is worthy of your time. Its really fun because it plays well, is a challenge, has nice gameplay mechanics and sounds fantastic. I really recommend it based on the short time I've spent on it so far.

For those on the fence, please take this as a recommendation to buy the game. If you are a Souls fan like me, its a game that you can feel grateful for and a game worth supporting. I'm saying its not a game you want to let drop in price before you purchase, its worthy of your full retail monies :)

If anybody has any questions about the game please feel free. I wasn't expecting to receive it today, it was a nice surprise. I'm sure plenty of others will have the game from today onwards, I hope people have bought it. If not, I'd like to think that people will support this game as it has plenty going for it and a real solid addition to my collection. I think it may turn out to be my favorite PS4 game so far.

Thanks for the impressions. Nailed on buy for me next week. Hopefully the performance on the PC version is decent.

yatesl

Tempted to buy it now, as I was also on the fence. Lobos' stream (and others) were good, but you still run the risk of "Got it early, say nice things".

Hopefully more people get it before launch/embargo.

Ricker

The shadows and lighting in the game are great. Just fought an enemy in a hallway by some stairs and the light reflection and shadows were pretty top notch.

Screen tearing is there tho. Just had an extra look just for it, upwards especially, where you have lots of different contrasts, such as light seeping in through thin framed windows, it is noticeable. Still not as bad as the videos, but absolutely noticeable if you are looking. Not so much in the midst of action tho. It really feels like it is coming and going, its not always evident. Otherwise a fantastic looking game that packs a great amount of atmosphere, you can tell it is not cross gen. A patch for the tearing would make it an amazing looking game.

Thanks for the impressions...yeah maybe the release day patch will fix the tearing,hopefully.

Karak

Plundering through my review copy as we speak. Not allowed to give any impressions that are detailed but can say I dig the environmental effects something fierce.

Denton

Thanks for the impressions. Nailed on buy for me next week. Hopefully the performance on the PC version is decent.

This is from polish/german devs. PC is their bread and butter. I have zero doubt the PC version will be fantastic, as is the case with most (all) games made in Central Europe.

GHG

This is from polish/german devs. PC is their bread and butter. I have zero doubt the PC version will be fantastic, as is the case with most (all) games made in Central Europe.

There are also a few ex CD Projekt devs in the team as well so I have little reason to doubt them.

Yeh just had a look. 560ti recommended... Not too shabby.

Hopefully the SLI support is solid as well, then I should really be able to go to town.

sli82x87.png

:D

Top Bottom