• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DoctorWho said:
That's the thing. For some unexplained reason, Desmond was different. That's one of the few things I wish they would have elaborated on more.

Really? You're caught up on Dharma Sharks. :lol It's implied they were part of Dharma experiments. When Dharma was wiped out, something may have triggered their release. Either a generator failing and opening the tank, or someone opening the tank themselves. Beyond that, I really don't think they were an important plot point.
Except the shark showed up agin in LA X swimming around the submerged island, dharma logo intact. So it appeared in a world constructed by the collective unconscious of characters who never even saw them.
Awesome.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Vitet said:
Nobody remembers what Nadia wrote on her photo to Said?
I will see you in another life, if not in this

and then Sayid is like "I got a hot blondie now, I don't need you soulmate"

scola said:
Except the shark showed up agin in LA X swimming around the submerged island, dharma logo intact. So it appeared in a world constructed by the collective unconscious of characters who never even saw them.
Awesome.

Because it was an in-joke for the audience. Simple as that.

StoOgE said:
and then Sayid is like "I got a hot blondie now, I don't need you soulmate"

Yeah, this bugged me. Shannon and Boone should have hooked up in the end.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Vitet said:
Nobody remembers what Nadia wrote on her photo to Said?
I will see you in another life, if not in this
Yep.

My absolute favorite foreshadowing is John Locke at Helen's grave in L&DoJB (an episode that is all the more incredible now that we know John and Ben reconcile in the end - god damnit, this ep just gets better ALL THE TIME):

LOCKE: She loved me. If I had just... [sighs] we could've been together.
ABADDON: Maybe you could have. That wouldn't change anything. She'd still be gone.
LOCKE: Would she?

Q_Q

JGS said:
I didn't mean for it to sound like that. I was saying that Juliet & Jack had a kid together in the X-Timeline. This makes sense since they were attracted to each other on island, but it really takes a huge connection to be re-awakened and Jack and her never had that.

The episode was to get us to understand that Jack was a different father than his dad was even though he may have immitated him a bit when he was married to Juliet ending in their divorce. But Jack was a great dad at the beginning of the episode. He just had to help his son see that.

Gotcha. I like that last bit--maybe that would help him understand how hard it is to make your son understand that you love him, in spite of all the family/personal problems.

Fjolle

So Jack must have become a smoke monster after put the butt-plug in hell and got his golden bath. His body was still alive after the golden gloryhole excreted him because he didn't dive headfirst down the cave.

chase

unomas said:
Love Lost for the mysteries and characters, and originally many fans of the show complained in the early seasons that we weren't getting answers to mysteries. Mysteries were a huge part of this show for the first few seasons, and then the creators of the show switched directions because they had no idea what they were doing. Many people kept watching the show because of the mystery of it, and I'm glad the rest of you were so attached to the characters, but this show completely Lost me when I realized they had no idea where they were going with it. It felt sloppy and patched together, and it's a shame that much of what happened with the mystery of the island meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It's also a shame because it's doubtful anything as promising will come along again any time soon. Can't do another group of people figuring out stuff in a sci-fi setting away from the rest of the world.

gdt

Fjolle said:
So Jack must have become a smoke monster after put the butt-plug in hell and got his golden bath. His body was still alive after the golden gloryhole excreted him because he didn't dive headfirst down the cave.

He could have been. They even laid out his body (outside the cave) the same exact way MIB's way was.

Maybe he became Smokey, but was already too injured, I don't really know.

But it's certainly possible.

gdt5016 said:
He could have been. They even laid out his body (outside the cave) the same exact way MIB's way was.

Maybe he became Smokey, but was already too injured, I don't really know.

But it's certainly possible.

In the case of MiB, his body was laid out, but another version of him existed as the Smoke Monster. It's possible that the same thing happened here.

SpeedingUptoStop

DoctorWho said:
In the case of MiB, his body was laid out, but another version of him existed as the Smoke Monster. It's possible that the same thing happened here.
Possible, but would kind of taint the ending if Jack didn't really die right there.

He could've been the smoke monster (since his body probably wasn't dead/unconcious already when he went down the cave), but just accepted his death anyways [didn't fully understand the power he had/didn't want to].

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Possible, but would kind of taint the ending if Jack didn't really die right there.

He could've been the smoke monster (since his body probably wasn't dead/unconcious already when he went down the cave), but just accepted his death anyways [didn't fully understand the power he had/didn't want to].

Pretty much why I think they didn't bother to address it. It would have ruined the ending.

Jex

I'm not sure it was made clear that the Smoke Monster was actually the MIB, considering we saw his body. I assumed it just had his memories, like with Locke. Although I probably missed something.

There was that whole scene with MIB as Locke talking to Jack about the good ol days, and then Jack told him that he wasn't Locke, even if he had his memories.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
pedrothelion said:
Did anyone really care about this? Wasn't that like a two second clip that had to be paused on the DVR to even notice the Dharma logo? They were doing research on polar bears, so why can't we just assume that they were doing the same with Sharks and leave it at that?
Yeah. I personally don't feel everything has to have another meaning. Some things in a story can just "be".
Loved the ending. The two story lines this season entertained me immensely.
Very glad I've watched every episode. This will be the show I mean when I talk about "The good ol' days of tv" as an old fart, haha.

Jexhius said:
I'm not sure it was made clear that the Smoke Monster was actually the MIB, considering we saw his body. I assumed it just had his memories, like with Locke. Although I probably missed something.
In the enhanced pilot they aired on Saturday they clearly stated that Jacob turned MiB into the Smoke Monster when he threw him into the Cave as seen in the Season 6 episode "Across the Sea".

That being said it seemed as though he had awareness of all of John Locke's memories because earlier he talked about Locke's last thoughts of confusion and in the finale he tells Jack its just like old times when they are looking down into the cave.

RedShift

Hmm. When MIB got thrown down into the source, as well as a Smoke Monster that took his form and memories his body appeared in the same place Jack turned up, and later became 'Adam'. So maybe as well as dying/now dead jack there's a souless, non human Smoke entity with his memories?

Falch

I probably missed it, but how did Hurley get Boone to help him have Sayid and Shannon have their 'moment'? Boone didn't seem very surprised either.

RedShift said:
Hmm. When MIB got thrown down into the source, as well as a Smoke Monster that took his form and memories his body appeared in the same place Jack turned up, and later became 'Adam'. So maybe as well as dying/now dead jack there's a souless, non human Smoke entity with his memories?
I think Jack had to have made himself resistant to electromagnetic energy before he went to the cave with Smokey. He would have been stupid not to. When he put the cork back in, his power of resistance to electromagnetic energy was restored (thus the sparks that were going on were not harming him). But he was mortally wounded when he didn't have powers so he ended up dying.

I guess the other theory is maybe Jack did become the Smoke Monster, but if thats the case, he wouldn't have had that wound and be bloody and beaten since his real body with the wounds and bleeding would have been dead in the transformation process.

Solo

criesofthepast said:
Me too. And damn you are like a totally new person without a Locke avatar.

*not sure if want.jpg*

I will return criesofthepast....when I'm ready.

Scullibundo said:
Watched it tonight. Loved it.

Fucking delivered on a series finale. Can't believe it.

SCULLI! I didnt even know you watched LOST, bro :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Falch said:
I probably missed it, but how did Hurley get Boone to help him have Sayid and Shannon have their 'moment'? Boone didn't seem very surprised either.
Boone had his "moment" as soon as he saw Hurley.
Everybody loves Hugo.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i watched the ending yesterday, i though it was really great, some awesome moments all around and yes i almost cried, almost. I though the twist was okay tough honestly i was not expecting such a spiritual explanation that had no direct connection to the plot on the island, still i think it was well done. At the end the creators of the show decided to make Lost about the characters instead of the mysteries which of course means that some questions will never be resolved but i think that was a good choice at the end, the characters are probably the most memorable part of the show.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yep.

My absolute favorite foreshadowing is John Locke at Helen's grave in L&DoJB (an episode that is all the more incredible now that we know John and Ben reconcile in the end - god damnit, this ep just gets better ALL THE TIME):

ABADDON: Maybe you could have. That wouldn't change anything. She'd still be gone.

Q_Q

:(

RedShift said:

But didn't MIB's body get spit back out, to where Jacob was? Or did Jacob wander and find MIB's body at the little waterfall where Jack was?

Solo

Veidt said:
goodness. I still can't get that final Locke and Ben conversation out of my ehead.

Locke: What did I have Ben?
Ben: You were special John, and I was not.

Locke has to be my favourite character ever to hit tv/movies. He just IS, and Ben was the best antagonist anyone could ever have come up with for Locke.

Season 6 Jack was amazing too though. He felt like an incarnation of Locke throughout the last few episodes.

The scene was pure magic, my man. And I cant help but they feel that as much as they wrote it for the Locke fans, they wrote it to give best buds Emerson and O'Quinn one last scene together. Locke getting out of the chair is one of my favorite moments of the entire series.

*tear*

jett

D-Member
Solosavatar.png

lulz

Solo

gdt5016 said:
I think it's pretty funny that as soon as Solo finds the one episode to surpass all others, and totally elevate his love for the show, and make it his favorite show ever...he is forced to wear an avatar that says "Lost sucks" :lol .

I'm going to figure out a way to kill you, gdt, and when I do, I am going to leave this avatar forever.

infinityBCRT said:
I guess the other theory is maybe Jack did become the Smoke Monster, but if thats the case, he wouldn't have had that wound and be bloody and beaten since his real body with the wounds and bleeding would have been dead in the transformation process.

I don't think this is even a possibility. To me, the smoke monster became mortal and died w/Flocke--the "smoke" aspect didn't "return" to he heart of the island, it's just straight up dead.

woodchuck

i want to watch some of the ending montages. what are some of the best with great Giacchino music?

ones that i remember:

The End (Duh)
Dr. Linus
There's No Place Like Home (part 1)
Exodus (part 1 )
Tabula Rasa
Walkabout

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Solo said:
The scene was pure magic, my man. And I cant help but they feel that as much as they wrote it for the Locke fans, they wrote it to give best buds Emerson and O'Quinn one last scene together. Locke getting out of the chair is one of my favorite moments of the entire series.

*tear*

I have to be honest, I teared up ( happy tears+sad tears, because Locke lived a life of sadness) witnessing that.
Locke man, he died the saddest death of a character and the only one to have a heavy impact on me. And the crazy thing is, that in reality he never came back. Locke's life ended as Jeremy Bentham, his life ended with him crying to himself "I don't understand..." As much as we wanted him to be back, he just never came back. Almost like when a friend or a relative passes away, they just don't come back no matter how much you want them to.

But then that last scene;
What did I have Ben?
What did Locke have? Nothing, he only had his faith.

You were special John, and I was not.
Locke was special despite the sad life he lived, or maybe because of it.
Then that smile of his as he forgave Ben...
And the way he stood up from his chair, a king returning to his kingdom.
I'm tearing up just thinking about it man.

Locke, fucking love that man.

Dez

Sadist said:
I'm still kind of amazed Widmore knew about this certain ability. Or am I forgetting something important right now?

The reason is that Faraday knew about Desmond being special. He wrote it in his journal, which then passed on to his mother, Eloise when she killed him. Eloise then married / got with Widmore, and she probably shared this information with him. Jacob probably confirmed it.

Nameless

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yep.

Q_Q

Ben: "I'll miss you John....I really will"

And come to think of it Desmond was X-Timeline version of Abaddon. Widmore's right hand who "got people where they needed to be".

Solo

woodchuck said:
i want to watch some of the ending montages. what are some of the best with great Giacchino music?

ones that i remember:

The End (Duh)
Dr. Linus
There's No Place Like Home (part 1)
Exodus (part 1 )
Tabula Rasa
Walkabout

Theres No Place Like Home Part 1 has the best montage in the whole series (Giacchino's Of Mice And Ben is godly), so its good to see you've already got it listed.

Godly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9B6L1eETJ8&feature=related

Exodus raft scene is a close second. Parting Words <3

Solo

Im so happy that Sawyer and Claire finally got to go home. Everyone else in the main cast of the show either died on the island or got off and came back three years later*. Sawyer and Claire were there for over 3 years. Id like to think that Sawyer reconciled with his baby mama and met his daughter, and Claire was happily reunited with Aaron and her mother. And that all 6 of them that got off were friends until they died.

*Locke is the one exception, as hes the only one who died off-island

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Falch said:

Hurley dropped a plane on Boone's face, and he totally saw through the fuggin' Matrix. He was ready to help Shannon and Sayid then.

Empty

Finally watched the finale after catching up on S6, which i thought, outside of that one early kate episode, was excellent. I really liked the final episode, especially those scenes in the X timeline where they remembered eachother, i teared up like four times at those. They were like the tv version of bringing the plantlife and environments back to life in Okami but times a million in terms of resonance, very beautiful way of bringing together six seasons of character drama into one conclusion. Didn't like the ending at all though, and was left very underwhelmed by the conclusion, not the final shot, that was great, but the purgatory stuff. Guess it's time to read the thread to see if anyone can explain the gobbledygook and get me to buy into that conclusion. So yeah thumbs up for the character endings, not so hot on the mythology, but as i thought the latter was kinda stupid through much of the show, the random light in the last few episodes being particularly silly, i was still left satisfied.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
McBacon said:
Hurley dropped a plane on Boone's face, and he totally saw through the fuggin' Matrix. He was ready to help Shannon and Sayid then.
Hurley was the plane.

I was watching some of the entertainment shows from yesterday and its clear that LOST is tied to a small, decent sized community. In our circle its the biggest TV event ever, to the grand majority it was just some random show ending. What I fear most is that it is a lot more easy for these shows to report that the end was confusing and people didn't like it than say it was moving.

SpeedingUptoStop

MiamiWesker said:
I was watching some of the entertainment shows from yesterday and its clear that LOST is tied to a small, decent sized community. In our circle its the biggest TV event ever, to the grand majority it was just some random show ending. What I fear most is that it is a lot more easy for these shows to report that the end was confusing and people didn't like it than say it was moving.
It's always easier to dismiss than understand. It requires no effort.

although, jumping to the conclusion that they were always in purgatory does require some effort.:lol :lol

StoOgE said:
There was no character development. Jack learning to be a better father or whatever was pointless because as soon as he "woke up" that was over. [/B] What did Kate do to develop her character? Get arrested? Sawyer? Used more women? It was all a giant worthless swerve that set up the reunions.. because as soon as they "woke up" they realized "Oh shit, all that xtimeline stuff I did was pointless.. now I remember who I really am".

You proved Jack's development. By learning to be a father he was able to let go. He sucked at being a dad and then he understood how to be one. You cannot deny that that is development but feel free to argue if it was handled well or not. He had to let go and being a good father (leader), was what let him.

As for the other characters' developments, it was the same goal as Jack: To let go.

Kate had to stop running, had to stop being a loner, stop being selfish. Her first step was meeting up with Claire. She didn't care about getting caught at this point. She put her self at risk to help Claire. She was able to break down her final part of selfishness. It's no coincidence she had her flash while Claire was giving birth.

Sawyer's development was to learn not to lie and not to use people in general, aka being a con man. He used Miles, he used women, whatever else he did. He learned that mostly in his episode. He became more honest with Miles at the end. And he was able to let go when he met Juliet because she was the one person he truly loved (awww), he didn't use her and he wanted to be his true self with her.

I could keep going.

It wasn't worthless either. The show has been forever about them finding their meaning. The X was that final step, and I feel I've written that argument down enough so I won't keep repeating myself. It was necessary and I have not been convinced otherwise.

And no, the point of a character sacrificing something (love, their life, etc) is that they lose something in order to help themselves or other gain something that they think has value. X-timeline happy ending was a copout way of telling us all "and what they did really mattered in the end.. see? they were all rewarded with a happy ending and the island mattered"

Any sacrifices were done during their time on the island. They didn't really need to do that in the X world. I guess if you don't accept that both timelines are legitimate realities then it'll make one seem somewhat pointless. I believe both worlds mattered though, so any sacrifices made in the original world were important to their characters. They didn't know that they would get more opportunities to redeem themselves. They had to live each life as if it was all they got. And in each life they developed more as people. The original world was their big breakthrough, but the X was that final push. If they didn't let go, they wouldn't move on. And they couldn't let go without that last crack.

A more satisfying/interesting ending would have been leaving us with the question of who was right. Was smoke monster/old Jack right that the island was being protected by nothing.. that it had no point? Or were new Jack/Jacob/Locke right that the island was special and needed protecting. A better ending would have been to leave it all on island and leave it open for interpretation if the sacrifices were worth something or not. They had done a good job all season of making you question if smoke monster or jacob were right. Clearly smoke monster was an ass.. but up until the writers chucked that sub-plot out the window I was seriously questioning if he was right and Jacob/crazy press secretary mom were wrong.

I feel it's a pointless endeavor to do explore the should haves and would haves of a story. Examining if the themes, plot and character developments justified the ending is the only way to tell if the story worked. Anyone can say it would be better if something else happened. Those things didn't happen. That isn't the story. And the ending won't be reproduced. If it failed in it's finale, then it failed, but Lost wasn't mean to be told any other way (atleast not in our world).

As for Smokey and Jacob, neither was 100% right. It was a grey area. Jacob made lots of mistakes, and did awful things. Smokey was ultimately the bad guy, but he had some valid reasons for acting the way he did. I don't think it was simple at all. Certainly their dynamic was destructive. But Hurley and Ben learned from the brothers' mistakes (which seems like a far more important theme than right vs wrong). The island dynamic of 2 antagonists, changed to 2 collaborating. Even the Jacob Richard relationship was a compromised relationship. Hurley and Ben had mutual admiration.

Giving us the happy feel good ending was a cop out and was a way to make the viewers feel good that they were right that the island was important, and that the characters all got their happy ending that they deserved via slow motion group hug.

The shows central theme was science vs faith for 6 years.. and in the last 20 minutes of the show they basically said "the correct answer was faith. You win a slow motion hug". A good piece of science fiction leaves you thinking about the message of the show.. was it worth it, who was right.. not scratching your head trying to figure out what the fuck you just watched.

I think the show proved science and faith can co-exist. The heart of the island was both a religious/spiritual center as well as the cause of a scientific anomaly. The electromagnetism angle was hugely important. Without it Desmond wouldn't be who he was. But it is certainly a mix. Definitely something I want to examine closer on a rewatch. But the big thing was fate, and what that means.

I had no problem figuring out what I just watched, please don't speak for me. It might have been just because I was a bit familiar with Buddhist teachings, but the whole x-timeline made sense to me as their final plane of existence before they moved on.

And no, Sayid should not have wound up with Shannon. FFS.. had they even mentioned Sayid and Shannon in 3 years?

I'll agree this was poorly handled, but the show presented that way. I can't make the argument that they weren't supposed to wind up together if, in fact, they wound up together. It just makes it poorly done is all. I would like to reevaluate the Shannon/Sayid relationship on a rewatch though. It might work a little better.

So how are you guys debating with those that didn't love the ending. I don't mean people that didn't understand it or never watched the show. I mean fans like you that wanted answers, that felt that ending was weak. As much as I love the ending their point is totally valid. I could easily see the ending as a cheap way to get an emotional ending, but that is not what I saw. This is one of those endings where I can't argue much, I will say it fit with the themes of the show, I will say it was brilliantly executed and it told the story the way the creators wanted it to be told, it wasn't about the answers. But I can't argue much with the flip side cause their views are valid as well.

Afrodium

Banned
Nameless said:
Ben: "I'll miss you John....I really will"

And come to think of it Desmond was X-Timeline version of Abaddon. Widmore's right hand who "got people where they needed to be".

Except I doubt Widmore gave a shit if everyone met each other so that they could go to heaven. He was just giving Desmond a blast of electromagnetism to see if he could go into the cave. Desmond traveling to the afterlife was just a side effect, one that Widmore was probably not aware of.

I had assumed Ben didn't enter the church (and therefore didn't "move on" with the rest of them) because he still had past sins to atone for. The explanation Slacker pasted about Ben needing to help reawaken the people close to him makes sense, too. I think Ben's in for some of both.

mrklaw said:
Hmm. not sure. Some of them still had pretty tragic 'real' lives - eg Sun and Jin still drowned in the sub, thinking they'd failed, they'd never see their daughter again.

sure, they're ignorant in the alt-timeline and then get 'woken' and realise there is an afterlife, but if there is an afterlife then you'd still have wanted a decent pre-life too right?
I was already satisfied with how Sun and Jin's story ended even before the finale. Their marriage had been failing. They drifted apart emotionally until they eventually realized how much they loved each other. Then they got separated when the tanker blew up and spent the next several years trying to find each other again. Soon after they finally meet again, the sub sinks and Jin has the opportunity to escape. He realizes he's found his soulmate and will never leave her again, and they move on to the afterlife together.

That was my understanding of Jin and Sun's arc before the show had even explained what the X timeline was, and I was completely satisfied with that ending. The finale simply added an epilogue to their story.

MiamiWesker said:
So how are you guys debating with those that didn't love the ending. I don't mean people that didn't understand it or never watched the show. I mean fans like you that wanted answers, that felt that ending was weak. As much as I love the ending their point is totally valid. I could easily see the ending as a cheap way to get an emotional ending, but that is not what I saw. This is one of those endings where I can't argue much, I will say it fit with the themes of the show, I will say it was brilliantly executed and it told the story the way the creators wanted it to be told, it wasn't about the answers. But I can't argue much with the flip side cause their views are valid as well.

It's fun. I like debating, it's been one of great pleasures of Lost. Not everyone is debating answers though. Some are debating the validity of the way The End presented themes and such. When I feel that someone is saying I'm wrong, I want to defend it. I was emotional during the finale, and it's hard not to take someone arguing that what I think of The End is wrong as personal.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So how did Charlie "grow" in x-universe. By going on a drinking binge and getting shot in the back by a dart? What did Sun and Jin learn? To love each other? They already did that on the island. Jack already "grew" as a character on the island. Locke learned to trust in Jack by writing the letter and hanging himself (or getting choked out by Ben). Juliette? What did she learn? The importance of going to concerts with your fake son? What did Shannon learn? Be a drunk slut and let some guy beat you up in the alley so an Iraqi can rescue you?

The X-universe just "reset" the characters back to where they were when we met them in slightly different circumstances and then made some of then relearn lessons we already saw them learn through the years... while the others just sort of wandered around leading fake lives aimlessly until they touched each other. and as soon as they did? Everything they "learned" in ex-universe was wiped clean and they became the people they were when they died/or we last saw them for those that didn't die on air.

X-universe was completely and totally pointless with the exception of the group hug at the end to make everyone feel good as the show ended. The on-island stuff was pretty debbie downer and they wanted a way to end it on a happy note. Felt contrived and tacked on to me. Glad some people liked the characters getting a big send off, but I felt that I had gotten to know them well enough and most of them already had gotten great send offs when they died.

I didn't need to see Charlie again. His sacrifice on the island was enough closure to his character for me. The fact that he "got the girl" in the afterlife has no impact on my opinion of his character.

bogg

This was probably mentioned, but I just realized that for most of the season MiB has been trying to gather all the losties together, telling them "we all have to leave together", which is basically the same thing Desmond does in the x-verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom