• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
shagg_187 said:
Fucking Kate. It should've been Ben that should've killed MIB and not Kate. Or better yet, it should've been Richard.
It works for me, because Jack is always saving Kate. Kate saved him when it mattered most.

and Holy shit, Juliet had a different named in the X world! She never married that Burke douche who got hit by the bus. then again, I may just be misinterpeting the whole name thing and he real name was Burke.

bogg

brandonh83 said:
Yeah, this. It seems like everyone got something to do besides Claire.

Jack: killed MIB, fixed the sink
Desmond: not sure yet but something crazy happened down there
Sawyer: IMO already "fixed" before the finale. may have gotten the tree off Ben. who knows.
Kate: shot MIB, crippling him to let Jack get the killshot
Hurley: became protector of the island
Ben: became Alpert-lite
Lapidus: flew them the fuck out of there
Miles: blessed the duct tape, allowing safe transport off the island
Alpert: finally became mortal and found peace
Vincent: gave Jack some company before he died

Claire: sat on the beach and bitched
Nah man, Claire saved Jin, and she also shoot the dude who shoot Kate, and protected the losties while they got in the sub.

Matthew Fox deserves an Emmy for what he did this last episode. He isn't the best actor on the show but they put the entire weight of the finale on his shoulders and he fucking delivered. Its the best he has ever been, it's some of the best acting I have seen from the entire series. Bravo to Matthew Fox.

MiamiWesker said:
Matthew Fox deserves an Emmy for what he did this last episode. He isn't the best actor on the show but they put the entire weight of the finale on his shoulders and he fucking delivered. Its the best he has ever been, it's some of the best acting I have seen from the entire series. Bravo to Matthew Fox.

God yes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jocchan said:
They probably would have done so naturally sooner or later (see Locke resisting and then accepting on his own the surgery, or the Kwons waking up completely on their own), Desmond just accelerated the process because he's that awesome.
Locke didn't accept the surgery on his own. He wasn't going to visit Jack, but got knocked down by Desmond, sending him to the hospital. He then refused treatment, and Desmond beat up Ben to get the 'have to let go' message to Locke. *that* finally persuaded Locke to get surgery - very much a desmond moment

That leaves Jack as the only one that can really be said to have come to the church without too much prodding by Desmond. That makes me think the X-timeline we see is purely Jack's. See also Kate's reaction to seeing Jack, almost as though she knows this is new for him.

Against that is my preference that all the losties moved on at the same time.

gdt

MiamiWesker said:

Yeah. He won't get nominated, just because how crowded the leading actor race is, but damn, he put in great fucking material. The entire last half rested on his shoulders, especially the ending. And he fucking delivered wonderfully.

Arment

So I had just watched the finale this morning at 5 am. I slept on it and woke up about 40 minutes ago.

My dreams were crazy. I don't dream often, but my dreams were just out of control. I kept waking up every 30 minutes and tossing/turning.

But mainly I just dreamed about Lost. Kate was in my dreams mostly, which is hilarious because of my usual dislike for her character. It's hard to even remember what the dreams were about, but I think it was just my brain processing the incredible mind twisting finale.

I'm still floored. But much more awake now. The amount of typos I was making at 5 am was funny. :lol

Raist

Banned
Seriously, why did they have to pull a Dark Tower :(

For the record and before people yell at me, this is not a Dark Tower ending spoiler, as endings are quite different, but the way both stories are constructed are very, very similar.

mrklaw said:
Locke didn't accept the surgery on his own. He wasn't going to visit Jack, but got knocked down by Desmond, sending him to the hospital. He then refused treatment, and Desmond beat up Ben to get the 'have to let go' message to Locke. *that* finally persuaded Locke to get surgery - very much a desmond moment

Even if it didn't occur naturally, what's wrong with that? The more damaged ones, like Locke, maybe couldn't make it out alone. But not a single one of them was FORCED into letting go, they did it on their own, despite much prodding from Des and Hurley.

That leaves Jack as the only one that can really be said to have come to the church without too much prodding by Desmond. That makes me think the X-timeline we see is purely Jack's. See also Kate's reaction to seeing Jack, almost as though she knows this is new for him.

Wasn't that just her talking about how much she missed him, because he died on the island and she lived a (presumably) long life?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mrklaw said:

Against that is my preference that all the losties moved on at the same time.
I meant that he was resistant, Desmond running him over wasn't enough, but things happening around him were still enough to put him on his way to let go... and in the end it was his conscious decision. He was the one who got back to Jack and asked him to fix him, it was John Locke's free will.

And you're forgetting the Kwons. Desmond had zero influence over them.

big ander

Arment said:
So I had just watched the finale this morning at 5 am. I slept on it and woke up about 40 minutes ago.

My dreams were crazy. I don't dream often, but my dreams were just out of control. I kept waking up every 30 minutes and tossing/turning.

But mainly I just dreamed about Lost. Kate was in my dreams mostly, which is hilarious because of my usual dislike for her character. It's hard to even remember what the dreams were about, but I think it was just my brain processing the incredible mind twisting finale.

I'm still floored. But much more awake now. The amount of typos I was making at 5 am was funny. :lol
Nice :D

Agree on Jack. I wish Lost could win best drama. Too bad Breaking Bad is a lock for it.

JDSN

Banned
Raist said:
Seriously, why did they have to pull a Dark Tower :(

For the record and before people yell at me, this is not a Dark Tower ending spoiler, as endings are quite different, but the way both stories are constructed are very, very similar.
Its more like Jacob's Ladder or Silent Hill 2, but you know, wiith some MGS4 throw in, a little bit of the worst of Battlestar Galactica, and whole lot of filler.

Magnus

GDJustin said:
A couple things -

- All this debate over whether the writers did or didn't have things planned out, and whether that makes the proceedings legitimate or illegitimate are missing the point. The writers could have had every season arc plotted out and the show could suck, or the writers could leave things loose and open and it could be awesome.

So I don't understand the point of people saying "THEY HAD IT ALL PLANNED! VINDICATED!"

At the end of the day, whether it is planned or made up on the fly, it needs to be entertaining, compelling television. And it was.

- Regarding the mysteries, for me, the fun of LOST's mysteries was chewing the fat over them, and guessing about them. The fun has never been finding out the truth. The truth is almost always incidental. Right from the Pilot, it has been "OH SHIT looping French transmission!" "OH SHIT Sayeed found some crazy rope/cable running into the Ocean" "OH SHIT they are in the arctic now!"

Half the fun of LOST is just waiting for "WE HAVE TO MOVE THE ISLAND" moments.

The answers are not as much fun as the questions. I'm shocked this has to be explained to people. How often when you were little (or maybe as an adult) have you been excited about a Christmas present sitting under the tree? SO EXCITED to open it... thinking about it for weeks. Then when the moment comes and you do open it, even if it's a sweet gift, it can't match that anticipation.

Ditto for the anticipation over sex with a new partner, anticipation over playing a new game you've been hyped about, etc.

For me LOST was an "Oh shit POLAR BEARS!" show and I basically didn't care where they came from, as long as the show didn't end up being completely random (and it didn't).

There is a pretty reasonable framework/mythology that the show hung all its "polar bear" moments on, and that is enough for me.

None of this makes any sense to me. Getting to the sex or the new toy or the surprise is half the fun or sometimes more fun than the wait. I understand that mysteries and questions are exciting; of course they are. But to say the reveals and answers...don't matter? Seriously?

Sorry to have to shock you into explaining it to us. Hope I didn't ruin your day.

Oh, and ditto on Matthew Fox's greatness; so glad he came back into the limelight for the end!

Jex

MiamiWesker said:

True words, right here.

neoism

Solo said:
Hai guyz

Ethered :lol
Solosavatar.png
:lol :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
JDSN said:
Its more like Jacob's Ladder or Silent Hill 2, but you know, wiith some MGS4 throw in, a little bit of the worst of Battlestar Galactica, and whole lot of filler.

It was basically a shippers fever dream. It's like they took a bunch of glowy, romantic signatures from a Lost fanfiction forum and melded them into the most saccharine slashfanwank imaginable.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Magnus said:
None of this makes any sense to me. Getting to the sex or the new toy or the surprise is half the fun or sometimes more fun than the wait. I understand that mysteries and questions are exciting; of course they are. But to say the reveals and answers...don't matter? Seriously?

Sorry to have to shock you into explaining it to us. Hope I didn't ruin your day.
Answers do matter actually, they matter a lot, but they're always less interesting than the mysteries themselves.
And this is because a mystery has endless possibilities worth discussing. A flat-out answer is just one. Open-ended answers left to interpretation, or answers that are just hinted but never really confirmed, are often a good compromise... and Lost coincidentally had a lot of both.

jett said:
What do yo mean nope? There's no evidence of any egyptian imagery in Across The Sea. If anything that should indicate that they came after Jacob and Smokeh.
We have no clue when the Egyptians came to the island, so there's no evidence either way.
We just know they did, they saw a Smoke Monster (either MIB or someone else before him) and they bult a gigantic but fragile as hell statue of a fertility goddess.

FirewalkR

Haven't posted in this thread yet, just wanted to say that I loved the ending, mostly because the emotional component totally subdued the need to know wth was the island (for), and to ask a question: they pretty much guaranteed the Emmy for best directing in a drama series, right? To me, the execution of the episode is _phenomenal_.

oatmeal

Banned
JDSN said:

It's not at all like Jacob's Ladder.

thekad

Banned
Spire said:
It was basically a shippers fever dream. It's like they took a bunch of glowy, romantic signatures from a Lost fanfiction forum and melded them into the most saccharine slashfanwank imaginable.

You're still here :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Now that it's settled a bit... I REALLY liked it.

jett said:
What do yo mean nope? There's no evidence of any egyptian imagery in Across The Sea. If anything that should indicate that they came after Jacob and Smokeh.

I am curious about this. Lostpedia's timeline: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline:Pre-crash

So around 24 AD is when Jacob and MIB are born. Since "Ancient Egypt" still existed around that time, up until 300-400 AD (unless I'm reading this wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egypt#Roman_domination), its feasible to think the Egyptians came after their birth. Right?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
MiamiWesker said:
I like this.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
bogg said:
This was probably mentioned, but I just realized that for most of the season MiB has been trying to gather all the losties together, telling them "we all have to leave together", which is basically the same thing Desmond does in the x-verse.
I kept having a weird feeling Desmond was going to blow up the church once everyone was there. Maybe that is why :lol

oatmeal

Banned
jett said:

I mean nope because you're wrong.

Jacob and MIB were there in 23 AD.

The Egyptians were there long before that.

(EDIT)

Where do you think the board game came from? the mother didn't give it to him, he found it and she claimed she gave it to him so he wouldn't become suspicious.

SpeedingUptoStop

scola said:
I kept having a weird feeling Desmond was going to blow up the church once everyone was there. Maybe that is why :lol
"I'll nevah see ya again, brotha!"

*Des maniaclly laughs as he pushes down the giant handle of the detonator box, the church then explodes and the show ends with Ben weeping over their final death-deaths*

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
scola said:
Before the episode aired, I read a spoiler that was luckily entirely fake.
"Desmond will lock them all at the concert to kill them!"
I thought it was too weird (but with Lost you never know), and you have no idea how pissed I was.
And how relieved I was when Jack got to the concert, it was over and most of the people had already left.

big ander said:
Where are we going?
Mr. Cluck's.

Magnus

Jocchan said:
Answers do matter actually, they matter a lot, but they're always less interesting than the mysteries themselves.
And this is because a mystery has endless possibilities worth discussing. A flat-out answer is just one. Open-ended answers left to interpretation, or answers that are just hinted but never really confirmed, are often a good compromise... and Lost coincidentally had a lot of both.

I really don't think it's that black and white, but to each his own. I'm always a fan of seeing how the answer or new knowledge affects everything and has ramifications for other questions.

SpeedingUptoStop

gdt5016 said:
Guys, when's the thread for tonight's episode going up?

:/
I can finally go to work without having to get shit done efficiently just to rush home now. I CAN SLACK OFF AT WORK NOW!!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Im so happy that Sawyer and Claire finally got to go home. Everyone else in the main cast of the show either died on the island or got off and came back three years later*. Sawyer and Claire were there for over 3 years. Id like to think that Sawyer reconciled with his baby mama and met his daughter, and Claire was happily reunited with Aaron and her mother. And that all 6 of them that got off were friends until they died.

Agreed. But honestly, I still dislike the fact that Jin and Sun died. They should have been on that plane and they simply should have given Sayid a far more dramatic death in their place.

oatmeal said:
I mean nope because you're wrong.

Jacob and MIB were there in 23 AD.

The Egyptians were there long before that.

(EDIT)

Where do you think the board game came from? the mother didn't give it to him, he found it and she claimed she gave it to him so he wouldn't become suspicious.

Playing Devil's advocate (because I'm curious), but is there any evidence of this?

Insertia

Costanza said:
If that's the case then nobody gives a flying fuck what you think.

Well you do, let me elaborate more.

The finale gave off a vibe that the writers didn't have much of an explanation for the proposal of a lot of key things brought up through-out the shows run. Or maybe they did, but had no good way to execute it.

As a fan it sucks because I'm used to seasons 1-5 where, like I said, the show is like Xfiles on an island.

oatmeal

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Playing Devil's advocate (because I'm curious), but is there any evidence of this?

The SECA board for one.

The fact that no one in Jacob's reign ever went into the cave until Desmond and there was Egyptian writing on the butt plug.

oatmeal said:
The SECA board for one.

The fact that no one in Jacob's reign ever went into the cave until Desmond and there was Egyptian writing on the butt plug.

Was that writing Egyptian? I seriously couldn't make it out.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Magnus said:
I really don't think it's that black and white, but to each his own. I'm always a fan of seeing how the answer or new knowledge affects everything and has ramifications for other questions.
Black and white? I specifically mentioned two possible compromises that are halfway between "endless possibilities" and "one possibility".

Question: Who is Jack's ex-wife in the alt. timeline?
No answer: could be anyone, either a known character or some random unimportant woman, and all the possibilities are equally valid
Straight answer: "it's Juliet", and once you know only one possibility remains and everything else loses its meaning
Hinted/open-ended answer: "it's one of the major characters", once you know you rule out nameless strangers and focus on major characters... but still have a good range of possibilities equally valid, and piecing it together with other hinted/open-ended answers allows you to form theories that could be either right or wrong (and this is what Lost made with most of the mysteries, they didn't give flat-out answers but some pieces of the puzzle and told you to have fun imagining the rest)

This is nothing like black and white, you know ;)

neoism

LCfiner said:
the broken Virgin Mary was important in that is contained the smack that Charlie wanted to cleanse himself from. the inmagery of the actual statue was not the key part of that scene.

Eko was an interesting character I'll give you that. he definitely wanted to find real faith, not just in the island, but in God to redeem himself. Of course, he got killed off since he was so important.

Building a church does not equal a show that is concerned with spirituality outside of Eko's character.

As for Kate, does it mean that anytime a character prays on a show, the show is ultimately all about faith? got it

Locke, we already established as being someone who needs to believe in the island. not sure what you mean.

and, of course, the last snarky remark from you, attempting to diminish what i meant in my posts.

I don't mind if spirituality is in a show. hell I liked BSG more because of the heavy influence of faith and science intersecting.

I'm just saying that Lost was way more concerned with EM pseudo science, time travel, dharma mysteries and The Numbers than spirituality for 5 seasons.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom