• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

omg rite said:
If Sayid's story in season 6 wasn't terribly done, it would have. Of course it was, so yeah it may not have had the same impact. Though really, just finding out that he slipped a bomb onto the sub with them was enough for the characters and audience to want MIB dead. Sayid dying on top of that pretty much seals the deal.

MIB killing Sayid doesn't have nearly the same impact as MIB killing Sayid, Jin, and Sun.

It's Jin and Sun's deaths that give the whole event gravitas.

bud

now that everything's over, i have to say that, overall, seasons five and six were disappointing. to me atleast. in retrospect, it'd have been better if it had ended with season 4's finale; with them getting off the island--that would have satisfactory. knowing what i know now, i would've liked it better if a lot of the things that they've explained, or tried to explain, would've just remained a mystery.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Solo said:
Post some of them, would you? No more SPOILARZ to worry about.
Walt is in the lost babies spin off entitled ANSWERS, where Walt, Yi Jeon, Aaron, and Locke Jr. (because locke hit that Helen shit before he left for the island and his part will be played by Scott Porter) go to the island for answers about what it really is, and get them from long, boring expository explanations from Ben and Hurley and Smoke Shepherd. The series will run for 4 seasons and will have no flash device to speak of. It will be a completely linear sequence with no narrative arc, taking place almost entire in a class room inside Jacob's old lighthouse.

It will air next season on ABC Family.

BELIEVE.

neoism

Solo said:
He won't win won. He'd be lucky to even get a nom, since Im guessing he'd put in for Lead. Terry and Michael in Supporting though? One if not both will get noms.
smh he sooo deserves it..

Vitet

Reposting for new page
DoctorWho said:
We need a screencap of the butt plug either being inserted or removed.
qpjln5.png

gdt

neoism said:
smh he sooo deserves it..

Hmm, does he deserve it more than Hugh Laurie for the S6 premiere? MCH for whatever he submits from Dexter? Bryan Cranston/Breaking Bad? John Hamm/Mad Men? I don't really know.

The race is pretty much set, I would be very, very surprised if he gets a nod.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Regarding the "butt plug" as some of you are so eloquently putting it, and the island in general -

My take is that the stone mechanisms at the center of the glowing cave are another ancient civilization's version of the hatch, the numbers, the failsafe. It's their way of protecting/controlling/renewing/trying to understand the Light. And it is arguably a better way, since it doesn't involve human involvement every 108 minutes.

Whoever came long long before apparently had a better understanding of the true nature of the island and the Light than the characters we got to sit in on for six years.

I have my problems with Across the Sea same as most of LostGAF, but one thing the episode did a great job of getting across is that The Island is truly ancient and in many ways unknowable. It turns out Jacob WASN'T the first protector. People like to say we got "no answers" but the truth is they just didn't like the answers they got. They didn't like the backstory of how Jacob became the way he is, so they consider it a "non-answer."

The fact that the Island was already here, the rules all already established, that stone Light well already in place, 2000 years ago, when Jacob took over, is immensely important.

The take-away for me is that this island has had people seeking it (or stumbling across it) since the beginning of time. The story of LOST is the story of one such group of people, and how the island changed their lives (and if you are spiritual, their very souls). The story of LOST doesn't concern itself with any of the other groups that have found the island... that is why we don't get any pre-Jacob island story. That is why we don't see the group that built the Light well.

But it WAS built. Some early civilization discovered the light in its "pure" form and seems to have understood that it needed to be preserved.

JGS

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Matthew Fox deserves an Emmy for what he did this last episode. He isn't the best actor on the show but they put the entire weight of the finale on his shoulders and he fucking delivered. Its the best he has ever been, it's some of the best acting I have seen from the entire series. Bravo to Matthew Fox.
I always root for jack over Locke, but I think O'Quinn is the best actor on the show by far and he was pretty daggone good in the finale too with both parts. However, O'Quinn would be in supporting role and Jack in lead probably so they both could win.

I loved that O'Quinn's Smokey rightfully took a back seat to O'Quinn's Locke. Amazing stuff again. Locke's moments were on par with everyone else's. Firther, him and Jack being friends in the X-Timeline was just so fluid and natural though I hope the both take home something.

bionic77

Did anyone come up with a good explanation for the significance of them showing the island under the ocean at the beginning of the season?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
bionic77 said:
Did anyone come up with a good explanation for the significance of them showing the island under the ocean at the beginning of the season?
To show that this timeline would be a story where the island had no influence on them. I speculated as much earlier in the season when I thought it was just an alternate timeline, but never connected it with the idea they were already dead.:lol

JGS

Banned
bionic77 said:
The world they created involved the Island not affecting their lives hence it was underwater to make sure that happened.

Rather I should say all of their lives. Ben had been to the island apparently but it was never explained what his role was or what happened to it. That's the interesting thing to me. That the Island existed. Maybe that was Ben's contribution to the alt-timeline.

Would the ending have worked better if the purgatory was ALL about Jack, and it was only HIS purgatory? They would have had to have changed what Desmond was doing, but I think having the whole flash sideways being Jack's purgatory would have been awesome.

neoism

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, does he deserve it more than Hugh Laurie for the S6 premiere? MCH for whatever he submits from Dexter? Bryan Cranston/Breaking Bad? John Hamm/Mad Men? I don't really know.

The race is pretty much set, I would be very, very surprised if he gets a nod.
By default Foxy wins, I haven't see any of those, the only thing I will watch is House, the other shows I have no interest in.... I'm one of those that always thought he was a great actor, Terry, and Micheal are of course the best on the show, but Foxy delivered a performance in the end I didn't think was possible for the show, and that goes with all the other actors too. Everyone knew it was over, so they brought their AAAA game, and they hit a grandSLAM!

layzie1989 said:
Would the ending have worked better if the purgatory was ALL about Jack, and it was only HIS purgatory? They would have had to have changed what Desmond was doing, but I think having the whole flash sideways being Jack's purgatory would have been awesome.

Nah. I preferred that it was shared amongst them all. It gave me the happy ending I wanted.

Solo

layzie1989 said:
Would the ending have worked better if the purgatory was ALL about Jack, and it was only HIS purgatory?

No. The last 20 minutes of the finale was already almost entirely about Jack. No need to devote half the season to him too.

bionic77

JGS said:
The world they created involved the Island not affecting their lives hence it was underwater to make sure that happened.

Rather I should say all of their lives. Ben had been to the island apparently but it was never explained what his role was or what happened to it. That's the interesting thing to me. That the Island existed. Maybe that was Ben's contribution to the alt-timeline.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
To show that this timeline would be a story where the island had no influence on them. I speculated as much earlier in the season when I thought it was just an alternate timeline, but never connected it with the idea they were already dead.:lol
That makes sense.

Thank you GAF. You have answered all of my Lost questions. I now feel at peace and can leave this place (Lost thread) to go into the light (sports threads).

KevinCow

Banned
bionic77 said:

So people wouldn't think that the sideways and island events were happening in the same world and ask stupid questions like "BUT WHAT ABOUT WHEN THEY GET OFF THE ISLAND AND RUN INTO THEMSELVES???"

gdt5016 said:
He did the best-laying-down-next-to-a-dying-guy I've ever seen.
I know, right.

I would love to see Matthew Fox win but Lead Actor category is full of studs. I just checked wikipedia and MCH has never won an Emmy? WHAT THE F@#$@#@ SHIT?!

JGS

Banned
layzie1989 said:
Then we wouldn't have really known what happened to the other characters. This way we know that everyone had a happy ending o the series rather than jack's perception that they did. Plus it would have been too rooted in one particular religious belief.

It wasn't purgatory since they are the ones that created it rather than God/Deity/Big Bang. It's just a word to use to explain something.

Whoa...so...answers?: http://lostmediamentions.blogspot.com/2010/05/someone-from-bad-robots-take-on-finale.html

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

So, this sort of jives with the "smoke monster" was created by Jacob idea.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Everyone should read this: http://lostmediamentions.blogspot.com/2010/05/someone-from-bad-robots-take-on-finale.html

gdt

bionic77 said:

In my mind, it's clearly a clue that Jughead created LA X.

gdt

layzie1989 said:

No, the ending worked flawlessly.

"We're all waiting for you" on one hand while Jack is having his last moments on the other.

Aww fuck ;_;.

bionic77

gdt5016 said:
I agree. Christian did say that the Losties created that place. Now we all know how to get to heaven. Drop an atomic bomb on a giant EM pocket.

Also, with the scene of the plane wreckage at the end. I personally just thought they were just showing the set of the pilot where it all started. I didn't read anything else into that.

neoism

gdt5016 said:
Really? I'm not sure what to think about that. I thought the losties just made LA X after they died,with their consciousness, and only realized it wasn't real once they remember they died/remembered their friends on the island.
Not sure if I'm off base of not...

pedrothelion said:
I think the intention of the X-universe was not to provide further character growth; we've had five seasons flashbacks and flash forwards to do that for us. It was meant to facilitate closure for the characters and the viewers. It was the culmination of changes and growth that these characters had over the previous seasons. To me there is a great symmetry between x-universe and the flashbacks/forwards.
That's funny, because I spent a lot of this season not knowing what the point of the x-universe was, but still loving it because it told us some great stories about some of the characters. The episode where Ben helps Alex get into college was especially enjoyable for how it developed Ben's character.

One thing that makes me smile about the show's end is thinking of what's next for the island. The only people left on it are Hurley, Ben, Rose, and Bernard (am I missing anyone?) I have no doubt that Rose and Bernard peacefully live out the rest of their days together, but I also wonder if they break their "don't get involved rule" now that Jacob and Smokey are gone. I could see them and Hurley being friends for years to come.

And what about Ben? As Hurley's right hand man, does he become immortal like Richard was? So many things have happened in this series that I can't even remember how Richard got his power. Did Jacob give it to him?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Man, I can't wait for next week's episode.
I heard Locke kills everyone.

Glad they're only taking a 1 week break :)

oops, I spoiled it for you guys.
I don't give a fuck :)

Dante

In many ways Lost is like the Star Wars Trilogy for me. Seasons 1-3 were some of the most entertaining TV I have ever seen, kinda like the original Trilogy. After Through the Looking Glass though things took a turn for the worse. They were so good at setting up these characters and mysteries and yet fell really flay when it came to tying everything together. Way too many stupid coincidences and not enough clever writing. To me the series finale was better than I expected, but that was most likely because after the past few season my expectations have been so low. Just like the prequels I won't let these past few seasons taint what I thought was really good TV (seasons 1-3), but I can't help but think something went wrong along the way with this show.

On a side note, why does EVERY important scene HAVE to rely on the musical score. Giacchino's score is great, but come on does every scene have to rely on it to tell the viewers how they should be feeling? Feels kinda like a cop out, when every important scene has music blaring over it.

Costanza

Banned
Veidt said:
Man, I can't wait for next week's episode.
I heard Locke kills everyone.

Glad they're only taking a 1 week break :)
I read the spoilers man, it sounds kinda underwhelming.

Hopefully they were wrong.

Veidt

Costanza said:

Nah man. Jack dies, he gets stabbed. But Kate becomes the new Jacobn. I heard Hurley dies of a sudden heart attack and Ben gets pregnant.

Costanza

Banned
Veidt said:
Nah man. Jack dies, he gets stabbed. But Kate becomes the new Jacobn. I heard Hurley dies of a sudden heart attack and Ben gets pregnant.

Vincent is the mother of Ben's child right???

jett

D-Member
How many times are you people gonna post that unconfirmed alleged post from a bad robot employee? :p

DoctorWho said:
I'm no expert but that doesn't look Egyptian. Sumerian perhaps?

Yeah doesn't look like hieroglyphics.

JGS

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
That's funny, because I spent a lot of this season not knowing what the point of the x-universe was, but still loving it because it told us some great stories about some of the characters. The episode where Ben helps Alex get into college was especially enjoyable for how it developed Ben's character.

One thing that makes me smile about the show's end is thinking of what's next for the island. The only people left on it are Hurley, Ben, Rose, and Bernard (am I missing anyone?) I have no doubt that Rose and Bernard peacefully live out the rest of their days together, but I also wonder if they break their "don't get involved rule" now that Jacob and Smokey are gone. I could see them and Hurley being friends for years to come.

And what about Ben? As Hurley's right hand man, does he become immortal like Richard was? So many things have happened in this series that I can't even remember how Richard got his power. Did Jacob give it to him?

I'm sounding like a broken record, but there were Others that survived as well from the Temple. They stopped following Locke and ran off into the jungle when the mortar rounds hit according to Sayid in The Candidate.

pringles

Dante said:
In many ways Lost is like the Star Wars Trilogy for me. Seasons 1-3 were some of the most entertaining TV I have ever seen, kinda like the original Trilogy. After Through the Looking Glass though things took a turn for the worse. They were so good at setting up these characters and mysteries and yet fell really flay when it came to tying everything together. Way too many stupid coincidences and not enough clever writing. To me the series finale was better than I expected, but that was most likely because after the past few season my expectations have been so low. Just like the prequels I won't let these past few seasons taint what I thought was really good TV (seasons 1-3), but I can't help but think something went wrong along the way with this show.

On a side note, why does EVERY important scene HAVE to rely on the musical score. Giacchino's score is great, but come on does every scene have to rely on it to tell the viewers how they should be feeling? Feels kinda like a cop out, when every important scene has music blaring over it.
You did NOT just compare Lost S4-6 to the Star Wars prequels...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Costanza said:

I heard nothing relevant happens. Not many answers either.
Too bad, I was kinda hoping they'd reveal what happened to the hotpocket Hurley threw towards Ben last season.

Veidt

Costanza said:
ahh crap i got mixed up

so at wat point in the canon did the two of them hook up?
Easy, I think Vincent eats Jacks' corpse.
He licks the Chi'a ( toothbrush) that Sun made in the first episode..
Jacob sleeves runs do what is even more

:)

Costanza

Banned
Veidt said:
Easy, I think Vincent eats Jacks' corpse.
He licks the Chi'a ( toothbrush) that Sun made in the first episode..
Jacob sleeves runs do what is even more

:)
do you think jack tasted good or vincent is just a dog so he didnt care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom