• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
D4Danger said:
This thread is almost over 9000 posts so forgive me for being lazy but can somebody explain this shit?

The end scene with Jack closing his eye and the plane crash on the island leads me to believe he died and everything that happened was him in purgatory or something.

(I'm very sure this has been asked a million times, a link would suffice)

The show ends when Jack closes his eye. The plane crash at the end was just some scenery for the credits.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
JGS said:
They explained the ghosts to my dissatisfaction which could explain all of the visions. Christian was a ghost who was not bound by water or the Island like Smokey.

Only Smokey claimed to represent Christian and the assumption was this was everytime we saw Christian. That never sat well with me and now we know it's not necessarily the case. Unless the writers said otherwise, I'm of the opinion that Christian was around too and Smokey just didn't know it.

Awesome. The reason this works, is because in one of the recent interviews they said when someone says "jacob talked to me" you dont actually know if its true or not. But when you SEE jacob talk to someone, you know its true. So one can assume Christian wasnt smokey unless you somehow SEE it. Neat

Dead

well not really...yet
Im pretty sure the implication from the Incident, when Illana team found the broken circle of ash, was that the ash had been broken for a long time, hence the "he hasn't used this place for a long time" line, referring to Jacob

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Mifune said:
I think the thing you're messing up here is the plane. It's not a plane CRASH. It's the plane with Kate, Sawyer, Richard, Lapidus, Claire, and Miles leaving the island forever.

Wasn't that plane heading in the other direction? Or did it pull a 180° just to fly over Jack (persumably to throw something down?

StoOgE said:
Christian was in there while the ash ring was still unbroken. If smokey can't cross ash rings it means he couldn't have been both in the cabin unless someone trapped him there at some point during S3.

Ah okay.

As far as Christian on the freighter, Jin's survival proves that it was still in the "scope" of the island. Kind of makes his line to Michael even creepier. Like "I'm done with you. PAYCE."

dorkimoe

Gold Member
KevinCow said:
The show ends when Jack closes his eye. The plane crash at the end was just some scenery for the credits.

Also someone noticed the footsteps for the scenery after the credits to symbolize people were there (losties). Kinda like the Tauret statue, the barracks, the lighthouse, temple. All that stuff was people leaving their mark.

ckohler

dorkimoe said:
Also someone noticed the footsteps for the scenery after the credits to symbolize people were there (losties). Kinda like the Tauret statue, the barracks, the lighthouse, temple. All that stuff was people leaving their mark.
Great point. The sight of the wreckage of Oceanic 816 was this generations' Black Rock.

kinoki said:
Wasn't that plane heading in the other direction? Or did it pull a 180° just to fly over Jack (persumably to throw something down?

I don't think it was clear what direction it was headed in but they watch the island in the window so it seems clear that they flew over it.

Dead

well not really...yet
BenjaminBirdie said:
Ah okay.

As far as Christian on the freighter, Jin's survival proves that it was still in the "scope" of the island. Kind of makes his line to Michael even creepier. Like "I'm done with you. PAYCE."
Darlton have said that Smokey could project visions before, so that probably explains the Freighter

As far as Christian in the hospital that Jack saw, the last episode just made it seem that it was an apparition of Christians ghost.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dead said:
Im pretty sure the implication from the Incident, when Illana team found the broken circle of ash, was that the ash had been broken for a long time, hence the "he hasn't used this place for a long time" line, referring to Jacob

Yeah, but that was 3 years after we saw the ash line unbroken in S2.

It's possible that the ash was broken and maybe Ben didn't know it.. because it's clear it was MIB that was in there giving him bad advice.

It also doesn't make sense that Jacob never "spoke" to Ben since it wasn't actually Jacob in the first place that was running Ben. Why woulnd't have smokey communicated with Ben to tell him to go kill Jacob years earlier?

JGS

Banned
dorkimoe said:
Ill just assume it wasnt the smoke monster. Im gonna assume the producers technically only said the smoke monster showed up as Christian in the first couple seasons. Im gonna assume it was the actual "shephard" :)
You don't have to assume it. You just have to not take Smokey at his word.

We already know what Smokey can/can't do

- He can't traverse water
- He can't leave the Island
- He can't transform into living people
- He can read minds of the living and dead

Put all of that together and the on Island manifestations could be assumed to be Smokey (Except the Vincent one which is just stupid if it's Smokey), the off Island ones were Christian's ghost since he obviously had issues he couldn't let go of with his son and alcoholism.

StoOgE

Dead said:
Darlton have said that Smokey could project visions before, so that probably explains the Freighter

As far as Christian in the hospital that Jack saw, the last episode just made it seem that it was an apparition of Christians ghost.

Smokey couldn't cross water or whatever to get to the other island without a boat. Doubt he could have made it to the freighter.

and Jack never had the gift of seeing ghosts like Hurley did. Doubt it was a ghost.

Just chalk it up to a plot whole.

Nevermind, I see we have some top notch revisionism explaining these away in this thread already :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mifune said:
I think the thing you're messing up here is the plane. It's not a plane CRASH. It's the plane with Kate, Sawyer, Richard, Lapidus, Claire, and Miles leaving the island forever.
Raist said:
What plane crash?

The end credits right after Jack closes his eye shows the original 815 place crash on the beach.

My thought is that the Jack closing his eye is Jack from 2004 not Jack who just got stabbed. (or, spiritually that's when everything lines up. I can't really explain it)

KevinCow said:

I don't get this. Why show it if it's not important or part of anything? They've never done that.

thekad

Banned
ckohler said:
Great point. The sight of the wreckage of Oceanic 816 was this generations' Black Rock.

Dudes, how does something like this

800px-Lost6x01-0122.jpg

happen?

StoOgE

D4Danger said:
I don't get this. Why show it if it's not important or part of anything? They've never done that.

They were trying to do some parrallelism with the shows opening moments.

It was just a horribly planned "hey remember what happened"

Either that or they were intentionally fucking with people again.. which really wouldn't shock me.

KevinCow

Banned
Dead said:

Yeah. I think it was Jacob's cabin at one point, then he decided to move to the foot for one reason or another. He didn't tell everyone though, so people kept believing it as his cabin even when MIB managed to get through the ash and started pretending to be Jacob.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
You can clearly see people have made tents/places to eat around the wreckage. It's to show that this was the place the oceanic flight 815 crashed, and since the wreckage hadn't been removed, it's still there. That simple.

D4Danger said:

I think the Black Rock explanation works quite well.

Anyway, regardless of what the credits meant, Christian's dialogue directly refutes any hypothesis that Jack died in the plane crash. It's literally impossible for people in that church to have died before and after him if he died in the crash.

StoOgE

Veidt said:
You can clearly see people have made tents/places to eat around the wreckage. It's to show that this was the place the oceanic flight 815 crashed, and since the wreckage hadn't been removed, it's still there. That simple.

naw, wreckage washed away back in S1 when they couldn't afford the set anymore :lol

It was just a "hey guys, look how far we've gone in 6 years".. it is just confusing people.

big ander

D4Danger said:
The end credits right after Jack closes his eye shows the original 815 place crash on the beach.

My thought is that the Jack closing his eye is Jack from 2004 not Jack who just got stabbed.

Because they aren't normally showing a finale. It was during the credits, too, which is where they normally put the preview. But they couldn't show that.

It was just a reminder of the origins of the show.

Veidt

StoOgE said:
naw, wreckage washed away back in S1 when they couldn't afford the set anymore :lol

It was just a "hey guys, look how far we've gone in 6 years".. it is just confusing people.
:lol

big ander said:
Because they aren't normally showing a finale. It was during the credits, too, which is where they normally put the preview. But they couldn't show that.

It was just a reminder of the origins of the show.

I liked when the Bad Robot came up, all quiet.

*sniff*

gdt

StoOgE said:

How could they not afford the set anymore? It was a plane bought for the show, that got torn apart and placed on the beach*.

They had to schlep them back and forth for every episode in S1. The characters even talked about removing the wreckage/moving away from it.

The crew must've forced the writers to get rid of all that wreckage :lol .

*S1 behind the scenes stuff

big ander

BenjaminBirdie said:
I liked when the Bad Robot came up, all quiet.

*sniff*
Yeah :( Also, I loved the end Lost logo, because of the way it wasn't a hard cut to it. It faded in quietly, then left us forever. *sniff*

oatmeal

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

That is ridiculously awesome.

The next batch of LOSTies will wind up on the shore and be like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!?!" and an entire season of their show will be dedicated to finding out what happened to our 48 survivors.

Amazing.

Dead

well not really...yet
Btw, I heard a Podcast with an interview of the Person in charge of the Lost Encyclopedia coming out later this year.

Its probably going to clear up a lot of stuff, as well as answer some things that were never answered according to the author. Seems like it will be pretty damn thorough from how it sounded

gdt5016 said:
How could they not afford the set anymore? It was a plane bought for the show, that got torn apart and placed on the beach*.

They had to schlep them back and forth for every episode in S1. The characters even talked about removing the wreckage/moving away from it.

The crew must've forced the writers to get rid of all that wreckage :lol .

*S1 behind the scenes stuff

I remember hearing that too. They probably couldn't afford to store it.

I think this show deserved a hell of a lot more than 13 million viewers for the series finale. Didn't Friends do like 50 mil? Fuck off.

Veidt

Dead said:
Btw, I heard a Podcast with an interview of the Person in charge of the Lost Encyclopedia coming out later this year.

Its probably going to clear up a lot of stuff, as well as answer some things that were never answered according to the author. Seems like it will be pretty damn thorough from how it sounded
Link us when it's up please.

StoOgE

gdt5016 said:

That crew wasn't cheap. If you recall around the same time the number of extras wandering around the scene also got cut dramatically.

oatmeal said:

The next batch of LOSTies will wind up on the shore and be like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!?!" and an entire season of their show will be dedicated to finding out what happened to our 48 survivors.

Amazing.

"This doesn't look like any phone I've ever seen!"

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
big ander said:
Yeah :( Also, I loved the end Lost logo, because of the way it wasn't a hard cut to it. It faded in quietly, then left us forever. *sniff*

yea and the final note of the music resolved... soooo goood

ckohler

I think after three years all that huge wreckage and trash would still be there on the beach. There weren't any bodies in the picture and there appeared to be some items piled up (clothing, etc.) so again, I'm just saying it's the last relics of this group's arrival.

Aside from Hurley and Ben, there are no other living people on the Island. Just their remains. The plane wreckage in the credits is shown as the latest artifact the island has collected throughout its history.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think the Black Rock explanation works quite well.

Anyway, regardless of what the credits meant, Christian's dialogue directly refutes any hypothesis that Jack died in the plane crash. It's literally impossible for people in that church to have died before and after him if he died in the crash.

maybe they all died in the crash. He says something like "they need you as much as you need them"

The only person in that room who wasn't on the original flight was Juliet. If she wasn't there it would explain why Ben, Richard and everyone else isn't in the room either. Because they never existed.

edit: I'm probably talking shit. I didn't understand it.

big ander

oatmeal said:

Amazing.
Imagine all the questions we would have if we were watching the show and this was our black rock. "Why were there so many guns? Was it flown from the future? How did it separate so much???"

OT: Solo, do you only have to use that avatar until the finals are over, regardless of who wins? Either way, you should be rooting Blackhawks

Nameless

The Cabin:

-Not only do merely see a segment of the ash as Ben & Locke approach the Cabin, but it's night. How we not know it hasn't been broken somewhere else?
-Ben warns Locke not to break the ash but as far as he knows he's taking Locke to an empty cabin. This means the ash was in place to keep smokey out, not in.
-Bram & Illana reaffirm this by their reaction to the ash being broken aswell. They approach cautiously and eventually burn it after concluding that "someone else" had been using it.

Nothing about it is inconsistent.

gdt

D4Danger said:
maybe they all died in the crash. He says something like "they need you as much as you need them"

The only person in that room who wasn't on the original flight was Juliet. If she wasn't there it would explain why Ben, Richard and everyone else isn't in the room either. Because they never existed.

A) If they all died in the first crash, there'd be no one in the room because they never got to know each other.

B) Christian specifically says what happened.

C) Hell, we see Jack die at the end of the episode. Why show that and then reveal he was dead in the first episode?

That ending picture was just a picture of the crash, just a cool little snippet at the end.

D4Danger said:

edit: I'm probably talking shit. I didn't understand it.

How could anyone die before him then? If they all died in the plane crash, they all died at the same time.

StoOgE

Biggest unsolved mystery:

WHY DIDNT THEY FIX THE FUCKING INTRO SO THE S DIDN'T GO ALL WONKY.

FFS guys. 6 YEARS! FIX IT!

gdt

StoOgE said:
Biggest unsolved mystery:

WHY DIDNT THEY FIX THE FUCKING INTRO SO THE S DIDN'T GO ALL WONKY.

FFS guys. 6 YEARS! FIX IT!

That's like asking House to change it's opening. Never!

Raist

Banned
For some reason I'm thinking that the very last scene would actually have been part of a different ending, and maybe the original one.

To me it still doesn't make sense that when they went back ot the island, some got warped to 1977 (Jack and co) while other (Lapidus, Sun, Ben) stayed in supposedly present time. Even within the lore of the show, it doesn't make sense.

So instead of warping back to present time after the incident, they should have warped back to a few days/hours/whatever before the oceanic crash.
Thus the last scene would be Jack witnessing the 815 crash, knowing that they were actually supposed to crash and don't change things (whatever happened, happened), and that after all the only moment of their lives where they weren't alone and miserable was living important things together on the island. Of course that's a much less happy ending, but it kind of makes more sense.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
How could anyone die before him then? If they all died in the plane crash, they all died at the same time.

well he was dieing in the bamboo field. Maybe they died on impact.

KevinCow said:
Desmond and Penny.

oh yeah. My theory didn't make any sense anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom