• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Lion Heart said:
I think this show deserved a hell of a lot more than 13 million viewers for the series finale. Didn't Friends do like 50 mil? Fuck off.
good TV shows are lucky to not be canceled (KINGS anyone?). Let alone achieve good and steady numbers.
Friends, CSI. They're episodic, easy to understand and treat the audience like babies. the kind of shows tweens watch.
There's a lot more of them compared to the average 20-30 year old college student/worker. Who are more demanding in terms of story telling.

gdt

Raist said:
For some reason I'm thinking that the very last scene would actually have been part of a different ending, and maybe the original one.

To me it still doesn't make sense that when they went back ot the island, some got warped to 1977 (Jack and co) while other (Lapidus, Sun, Ben) stayed in supposedly present time. Even within the lore of the show, it doesn't make sense.

So instead of warping back to present time after the incident, they should have warped back to a few days/hours/whatever before the oceanic crash.
Thus the last scene would be Jack witnessing the 815 crash, knowing that they were actually supposed to crash and don't change things (whatever happened, happened), and that after all the only moment of their lives where they weren't alone and miserable was living important things together on the island. Of course that's a much less happy ending, but it kind of makes more sense.

That makes 0 sense :lol .

The Candidates flashed to '77. Kate too. The reason is that they didn't recreate the exact conditions of O815.

JGS

Banned
Dead said:
Darlton have said that Smokey could project visions before, so that probably explains the Freighter

As far as Christian in the hospital that Jack saw, the last episode just made it seem that it was an apparition of Christians ghost.
The problem is there is no reason for Smokey to project anything to Michael on the freighter. He also does not have the ability to remove immortality from Micahel and wouldbn't have known that Michael could die.

Aesius

Where the HELL is Vozzek's recap (on DarkUFO)?

Somebody please.......get a hold of Vozzek so I can make sense of all this!

WHERE IS VOZ?!

neoism

KevinCow said:
The show ends when Jack closes his eye. The plane crash at the end was just some scenery for the credits.
You would think with how stupid most people are (casual viewers especially) they wouldn't use that for the credits, too many people think the plane crashed again.:lol :lol

Kurtofan

neoism said:
You would think with how stupid most people are (casual viewers especially) they wouldn't use that for the credits, too many people think the plane crashed again.:lol :lol
I think they did it on purpose :lol
Lindelcuse are trolls.

JGS said:
The problem is there is no reason for Smokey to project anything to Michael on the freighter. He also does not have the ability to remove immortality from Micahel and wouldbn't have known that Michael could die.

But Michael was contributing to the potential death of a candidate, Jin. MiB was done with him.

JGS

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
But Michael was contributing to the potential death of a candidate, Jin. MiB was done with him.
If Smokey was Christian on the boat, he could have showed up a minutes earlier and blew a few more of them up!:lol

neoism

Dead said:
Btw, I heard a Podcast with an interview of the Person in charge of the Lost Encyclopedia coming out later this year.

Its probably going to clear up a lot of stuff, as well as answer some things that were never answered according to the author. Seems like it will be pretty damn thorough from how it sounded
Can't wait, had it pre-ordered for weeks..

JGS

Banned
ckohler said:
Aside from Hurley and Ben, there are no other living people on the Island. Just their remains. The plane wreckage in the credits is shown as the latest artifact the island has collected throughout its history.
I'm sounding like a broken record, but there were Others that survived as well from the Temple. They stopped following Locke and ran off into the jungle when the mortar rounds hit according to Sayid in The Candidate.

Solo

Locke and Jack greatest hits:

1.05 White Rabbit

JACK: How are they, the others?
LOCKE: Thirsty. Hungry. Waiting to be rescued. And they need someone to tell them what to do.
JACK: Me? I can't.
LOCKE: Why can't you?
JACK: Because I'm not a leader.
LOCKE: And yet they all treat you like one.
JACK: I don't know how to help them. I'll fail. I don't have what it takes.
LOCKE: Why are you out here, Jack?
JACK: I think I'm going crazy.
LOCKE: No. You're not going crazy.
JACK: No?
LOCKE: No, crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting sane. So, why are you out here?
JACK: I'm chasing something—someone.
LOCKE: Ah. The white rabbit. Alice in Wonderland.
JACK: Yeah, wonderland, because who I'm chasing—he's not there.
LOCKE: But you see him?
JACK: Yes. But he's not there.
LOCKE: And if I came to you and said the same thing, then what would your explanation be, as a doctor.
JACK: I'd call it a hallucination. A result of dehydration, post traumatic stress, not getting more than two hours of sleep a night for the past week. All of the above.
LOCKE: All right, then. You're hallucinating. But what if you're not?
JACK: Then we're all in a lot of trouble.
LOCKE: I'm an ordinary man, Jack, meat and potatoes, I live in the real world. I'm not a big believer in magic. But this place is different. It's special. The others don't want to talk about it because it scares them. But we all know it. We all feel it. Is your white rabbit a hallucination? Probably. But what if everything that happened here, happened for a reason? What if this person that you're chasing is really here?
JACK: That's impossible.
LOCKE: Even if it is, let's say it's not.
JACK: Then what happens when I catch him?
LOCKE: I don't know. But I've looked into the eye of this island. And what I saw was beautiful.
[Locke gets up to leave.]
JACK: Wait, wait, wait, where are you going?
LOCKE: To find some more water.
JACK: I'll come with you.
LOCKE: No. You need to finish what's you've started.
JACK: Why?
LOCKE: Because a leader can't lead until he knows where he's going.

1.25 Exodus

LOCKE: We shouldn't be this close to each other, Jack.
JACK: If we blow up, we blow up. What the hell was all that about back there, John?
LOCKE: What was what about?
JACK: You asked me to let you go.
LOCKE: That's right.
JACK: That thing was taking you down the hole and you asked me to let you go.
LOCKE: It wasn't going to hurt me.
JACK: No, John, it was going to kill you.
LOCKE: I seriously doubt that.
JACK: Look, I need for you -- I need for you to explain to me what the hell's going on inside your head, John. I need to know why you believe that that thing wasn't going to...
LOCKE: I believe that I was being tested.
JACK: Tested?
LOCKE: Yeah, tested.
JACK: I think...
LOCKE: That's why you and I don't see eye-to-eye sometimes, Jack -- because you're a man of science.
JACK: Yeah, and what does that make you?
LOCKE: Me, well, I'm a man of faith. Do you really think all this is an accident -- that we, a group of strangers survived, many of us with just superficial injuries? Do you think we crashed on this place by coincidence -- especially, this place? We were brought here for a purpose, for a reason, all of us. Each one of us was brought here for a reason.
JACK: Brought here? And who brought us here, John?
LOCKE: The Island. The Island brought us here. This is no ordinary place, you've seen that, I know you have. But the Island chose you, too, Jack. It's destiny.

JACK: Did you talk with Boone about destiny, John?
LOCKE: Boone was a sacrifice that the Island demanded. What happened to him at that plane was a part of a chain of events that led us here -- that led us down a path -- that led you and me to this day, to right now.
JACK: And where does that path end, John?
LOCKE: The path ends at the Hatch. The Hatch, Jack -- all of it -- all of it happened so that we could open the Hatch.
JACK: No, no, we're opening the Hatch so that we can survive.
LOCKE: Survival is all relative, Jack.
JACK: I don't believe in destiny.
LOCKE: Yes, you do. You just don't know it yet.

2.03 Orientation

[LOCKE enters 42, and is about to press the execute button.]
LOCKE: You do it, Jack.
JACK: What?
LOCKE: You have to do it.
JACK: You do it yourself, John.
LOCKE: No, you saw the film, Jack. This is a two person job, at least.
SAYID: This argument is irrelevant.
LOCKE: Sayid, don't.
SAYID: Jack.
JACK: No. It's not real. Look, you want to push the button, you do it yourself.
LOCKE: If it's not real, then what are you doing here, Jack? Why did you come back? Why do you find it so hard to believe?
JACK: Why do you find it so easy?
LOCKE: It's never been easy!
[The timer shows 1:04. Another, more insistent alarm starts to sound.]
KATE: Maybe you should just do it.
JACK: No. It's a button.
LOCKE: I can't do this alone, Jack. I don't want to. It's a leap of faith, Jack.

3.23 Through The Looking Glass

[Naomi presses on the phone, and it says “CONNECTED”. Naomi suddenly shakes, and spurts blood from her mouth. She falls down with a knife in her back and drops the phone. Behind her, Locke moves forward]
JACK: JOHN!!!
[Locke pulls out the gun he found, and points it at Jack]
LOCKE: Step back, Jack.
JACK: What did you do?
LOCKE: What I had to. Now step back.
[Jack stays still as the phone tone signals that Naomi has made the call, and there just needs someone to answer it]
LOCKE: Stay away from the phone.
[Jack dives for it. Locke tries to destroy it, but his shot misses and Jack takes it]
JACK: What are you doing, John?
LOCKE: I don't wanna shoot you.
BEN: Do it, John! Shoot him! Do what you need to do...
[Rousseau knocks him unconscious with an elbow strike to the face. The phone continues to beep waiting for someone to pick up]
LOCKE: Please. Put the phone down.
JACK: No. You're done keeping me on this Island.
[Locke cocks the barrel]
LOCKE: I will kill you if I have to.
JACK: Then do it, John.
KATE: Jack.
[Locke pauses, and then lowers the gun]
LOCKE: Jack. You're not supposed to do this.

4.14 Theres No Place Like Home

JACK: What did you wanna talk to me about, John?
[Bird squawks in distance]
LOCKE: I want you to reconsider leaving the island, Jack. I would like you to stay.
JACK: You'd like me to stay?
LOCKE: Yeah, that's right.
JACK: (Chuckles) You threw a knife into the back of an unarmed woman. You led half of our people across the island and got most of them killed.
LOCKE: Well, Jack, you put a gun to my head and you pulled the trigger. I was hoping we could let bygones be bygones.
JACK: Well, I'll tell you what. You stay here in your little greenhouse, but the rest of us are going home.
LOCKE: But you're not supposed to go home.
JACK: And what am I supposed to do? Oh, I think I remember. What was it that you said on the way out to the hatch--that crashing here was our destiny?
LOCKE: You know, Jack. You know that you're here for a reason. You know it. And if you leave this place, that knowledge is gonna eat you alive from the inside out...until you decide to come back.

JACK: Good-bye, John.
LOCKE: You're gonna have to lie.
JACK: Excuse me?
LOCKE: If you have to go, then you have to lie about everything...everything that happened since we got to the island it's the only way to protect it.
JACK: (Sighs) It's an island, John. No one needs to protect it.
LOCKE: It's not an island. It's a place where miracles happen. And--and--if you--if you don't believe that, Jack, if you can't believe that, just wait till you see what I'm about to do.
JACK: There's no such thing as miracles.
LOCKE: Well...we'll just have to see which one of us is right.

BEN: Am I interrupting?
[Jack whirls around to see Ben entering the greenhouse. He points his gun at Ben, cocking it.]
BEN: Nice to see you, too, Jack.
[Ben ignores the threat from Jack and moves right past Jack and Locke into the interior of the greenhouse.]
BEN: Couldn't find the Anthuriums, could you?
LOCKE: I don't know what they look like.
[Ben shakes a small potted flower, then reaches underneath a shelf and activates a switch. Metal clacks, and a door creaks as a secret elevator is exposed.]
JACK: What are you doing?
BEN: Didn't you tell him?
LOCKE: I tried.
BEN: Sayid and Kate are waiting for you at the helicopter. I understand that your people from the beach are being brought to the freighter even as we speak.
BEN: I'd love to fill you in on everything you missed, Jack, but you, Hugo, James, you need to get moving. If I were you, I'd want to be on that boat within the hour. Good-bye, Jack. (To Locke) Let's go.
LOCKE: Lie to them, Jack. If you do it half as well as you lie to yourself, they'll believe you.

5.07 The Life And Death Of Jeremy Bentham

JACK: What are you doing here?
[Breathing deeply]
LOCKE: Jack, how did you find me?
JACK: You were in a car accident and you were brought into my hospital. What are you doing here?
LOCKE: [Grunts] We have to go back.
JACK: [Laughing] Of course. Of course we do.
LOCKE: Jack, the people I left behind need our help. We're supposed to go back--
JACK: --because it's our destiny? How many times are you gonna say that to me, John?
LOCKE: How can you not see it? Of all the hospitals they could've brought me to, I end up here. You don't think that's fate?
JACK: Your car accident was on the west side of Los Angeles. You being brought into my hospital isn't fate, John. It's probability.
LOCKE: You don't understand. It wasn't an accident. Someone is trying to kill me.
JACK: Why? Why would someone try to kill you?
LOCKE: Because they don't want me to succeed. They wanna stop me. They don't want me to get back because I'm important.
JACK: Have you ever stopped to think that these delusions that you're special aren't real? That maybe there's nothing important about you at all? Maybe you are just a lonely old man that crashed on an Island. That's it. Good-bye, John.
LOCKE: Your father says hello.
LOCKE: A man--the man who told me to move the Island--the man who told me how to bring you all back--he said to tell his son hello. It couldn't have been Sayid's father, and it wasn't Hurley's, so that leaves you. He said his name was Christian.
JACK: My... my father is dead.
LOCKE: Well, he didn't look dead to me.

JACK: [Voice breaking] He died in Australia three years ago. I put him in the coffin! He's dead.
LOCKE: Jack, please, you have to come back! You're the only one who can convince the rest of 'em. You have to help me! You're supposed to help me!
JACK: John, it's over! It's done. We left, and we were never important. So you... you leave me alone. And you leave the rest of 'em alone!

5.15 Follow The Leader

JACK: We can change things, Sayid.
SAYID: I don't know if you're aware of this, but I've already changed things. I killed Benjamin Linus, and we're all still here.
KATE: It's because you didn't kill him. Sawyer and me took him to the Others so that they could save him.
SAYID: [Solemnly] Why did you do that?
KATE: Why did I do that? Since when did shooting kids and blowing up hydrogen bombs become okay?
JACK: The three of us disappeared off that plane and ended up here, ended up now, because this is our chance to change things.
KATE: And if you're wrong, then everyone on the Island dies. Do you understand that?
JACK: I'm not wrong, Kate. This is it. This is why we're here. [Sighs] This is our destiny.
KATE: Do you know who you sound like? Because he was crazy, too, Jack. You said so yourself.
JACK: Well, maybe I was wrong.

6.13 The Last Recruit

JACK: Look just like him.
MIB: Does it bother you?
JACK: No, what bothers me is I don't have any idea what the hell you are.
MIB: Sure you do.
[Jack kneels.]
JACK: Why John Locke?
MIB: Because he was stupid enough to believe that he'd been brought here for a reason. Because he pursued that belief until it got him killed. And because you were kind enough to bring his body back here in a nice wooden box.

JACK: He had to be dead before you could look like him.
MIB: That's right.
[Jack nods.]
JACK: Who else have you looked like?
MIB: Jack, what do you really want to ask me?
JACK: The third day we were here I saw... I chased my father through the jungle... my, my dead father. Was that you?
MIB: Yes, that was me.
JACK: Why?
MIB: You needed to find water. This may be hard for you to believe, Jack, but all I've ever been interested in is helping you.
JACK: To help me? To do what?
MIB: Leave. But because Jacob chose you, you were trapped on this Island, before you even got here. Now Jacob's dead. We don't have to be trapped anymore. We can get on an airplane and fly away anytime we want to.
JACK: If we can just fly away whenever we want, why are you still here?
MIB: Because it has to be all of us.
[Jack looks momentarily emotional.]
MIB: What?
JACK: John Locke was the only one of us that ever believed in this place. He did everything he could to keep us from leaving this island.
MIB: John Locke was not a believer, Jack. He was a sucker

6.18 The End

MIB: This remind you of anything, Jack?
MIB: Desmond, going down into a hole in the ground. If there was a button down there to push we could fight about whether to push it. Just like old times.
JACK: You're not John Locke. You disrespect his memory by wearing his face, but you're nothing like him. Turns out he was right about almost everything. I just wish I could have told him that while he was still alive.

JGS said:
I'm sounding like a broken record, but there were Others that survived as well from the Temple. They stopped following Locke and ran off into the jungle when the mortar rounds hit according to Sayid in The Candidate.

You can so totally have a comic book line out of the stories left on the island. Hurley & Ben, Stewardess & Son (& Daughter), Rose & Bernard....

theJwac

Aesius said:

WHERE IS VOZ?!
Vozzek's recaps are terrible. I often question if he watches the same show I do. He blatantly misunderstands the literal words said by characters some times and postulates on them at great extent. He tries to make an impact with frequent images and captions but ultimately, the effect feels cheesy in my humble opinion.

To each his own though. I like Doc Jensen's recaps but when he goes off on those tangents about the slightest reference to a book or song, it feels ridiculously forced.

Raist

Banned
gdt5016 said:
That makes 0 sense :lol .

The Candidates flashed to '77. Kate too. The reason is that they didn't recreate the exact conditions of O815.

Why doesn't it make sense? If you mean, regarding to what happened during season 6, of course it doesn't, but that would have been a more fitting ending (and yeah, season 6 would have been totally different and lite on cheese).

And that can't possibly be a reasonable answer because the whole "we have to recreate the same conditions" is BS that makes zero sense. Jacob "invites" people to the island, it doesn't matter if a cadaver wears Versace shoes or who's on the plane exactly. Otherwise they wouldn't have made it at all because it was far from being identical.

Solo

gdt5016 said:
How could they not afford the set anymore? It was a plane bought for the show, that got torn apart and placed on the beach*

It was eventually broken down and destroyed. Some time around S3.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Last time I visited this thread it was at #6088. FUCK ME :lol

Solo said:
Beautiful :')

edit: and lool wtf
Solosavatar.png

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I love the fact that Locke was so special, that even the island knew he was more than just a candidate, even more than what Jacob himself was. He was what the island needed, and so, the island healed him again and again, even denying him death.

neoism

Solo said:

1.05 White Rabbit

1.25 Exodus

2.03 Orientation

5.15 Follow The Leader

6.13 The Last Recruit

6.16 The End
Greatest post ever.. :O Those two were LOST, without them this show would have been dog shit...

Nameless

Btw. Ghost Christian from the finale was in a suit/white sneakers just like he was when he appeared to Jack in the hospital lobby back during S4. That defintely was not the smoke monster. :D

Raist

Banned
neoism said:

Well of course the plane has to crash "again". Otherwise it's one of the worst time paradoxes ever and I sure hope that's not what they implied.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
neoism said:
Greatest post ever.. :O Those two were LOST, without them this show would have been dog shit...
Definitely. So glad those two reconciled... on the other side.

Solo

Catalix said:
Beautiful :')

neoism said:

big ander said:
My 3 favorite Jack/Locke moments.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Thanks for that, Solo. Great to read all at once.

Thanks bros :D

By the way, with the ending we got, I think this line basically sums up the entire series.

From Orientation:

LOCKE: I can't do this alone, Jack. I don't want to. It's a leap of faith, Jack.

Like Christian said: nobody does it alone, and the Losties all needed eachother.

Solo said:

By the way, with the ending we got, I think this line basically sums up the entire series.

From Orientation:

Like Christian said: nobody does it alone, and the Losties all needed eachother.

My favorite shows all have the same kind of theme. Deadwood, especially as well, the importance of community. Both shows really did a great job at illustrating this.

MiamiWesker said:
This reminded me of season 4 - 5, what the hell was going on with Ben outside the island. they made it seem like he has a secret army. I assume Widmore had one too cause that explains all the hitmen. That went nowhere, who were those people.

He probably did. He was a power mad guy.

oatmeal

Banned
Aesius said:

WHERE IS VOZ?!

He's in LA for the Jay and Jack viewing party.

Not sure when he'll do his write up. I hope he amends his book with the 6th season and then I'll buy it.

Raist

Banned
big ander said:

They never prevented the plane from crashing when they were in 1977, as Faraday thought they would be able to do.
If they succeeded to do it, that wouldn't make any sense because in order to prevent the crash, they would need to crash on the island in the first place.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
MiamiWesker said:
Just like old times. For the last time guys, lets over analyze a screen cap of some random Egyptian shit. :D
Sumerian_26th_c_Adab.jpg

Looks Sumerian

From wiki:
It is the earliest known civilization in the world and is known as the Cradle of Civilization.

My theory is that its intentional, showing that island has always been there since humanity came into existence.

KevinCow

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
This reminded me of season 4 - 5, what the hell was going on with Ben outside the island. they made it seem like he has a secret army. I assume Widmore had one too cause that explains all the hitmen. That went nowhere, who were those people.

Ben's secret army was Sayid.

Nameless

Solo said:

From Orientation:

Kinda makes you think. The very first thing Locke did on the island after regaining the abilty to walk was answer Jack's call for help in saving some poor redshift.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Raist said:
Well of course the plane has to crash "again". Otherwise it's one of the worst time paradoxes ever and I sure hope that's not what they implied.
The hell?

Solo

Nameless said:
Kinda makes you think. The very first thing Locke did on the island after regaining the abilty to walk was answer Jack's call for help in saving some poor redshift.

Yep, and all Locke ever wanted (aside from being special) was someone to join him on his journey.

Kurtofan

Solo said:

1.05 White Rabbit

1.25 Exodus

2.03 Orientation

5.15 Follow The Leader

6.13 The Last Recruit

6.18 The End