• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
duckroll said:
How do you know it'll work? If it doesn't work, every single poster in the thread gets banned. How sure are you of your theory?
Do you know what the variables in this equation are, Duckroll?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I love how Igoritza completely ignored my link to a book written by three apparently big astrophysicists, linking the Casimir effect to the creation of wormholes, and kept going BUT THIS IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!1!!1!

So what you guys are essentially saying is that duckroll should nuke the site from orbit, because the future's not set and there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Am I doing it right?

Zeliard

Jocchan said:
I love how Igoritza completely ignored my link to a book written by three apparently big astrophysicists, linking the Casimir effect to the creation of wormholes, and kept going BUT THIS IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!1!!1!

Also, people keep listing "time travel" under things that electromagnetism can't explain, along with smoke monsters and healing, except that the entire purpose of Faraday's character (beyond putting forth the idea of constants and variables) was to specifically explain how the island's electromagnetic properties caused the time travel. Not sure how some people missed that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Zeliard said:
Also, people keep listing "time travel" under things that electromagnetism can't explain, along with smoke monsters and healing, except that the entire purpose of Faraday's character (beyond putting forth the idea of constants and variables) was to specifically explain how the island's electromagnetic properties caused the time travel. Not sure how some people missed that.
Electromagnetism causing stuff to warp and to travel through time isn't even a new concept.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_experiment

But it doesn't turn people into smoke monsters! I want a real life, realistic justification of how a human being can turn into an immortal pillar of electromagnetic black smoke able to flash someone's memories and induce hallucinations!

quote on facebook:

not happy with ending. How did Sawyer, Kate Ben and Hurley die? Desmond too? I didn't get any answers...WTF? What happened to the time travel shit? What was Widmores deal/the polar bears? nothing was answered. Glad everyone got together in the end but, no I don't want to leave it to interpretation...

:lol

Solo

Scullibundo said:
So what you guys are essentially saying is that duckroll should nuke the site from orbit, because the future's not set and there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Am I doing it right?

Now I know why duck cries. But it is something that I can never do.

Kurtofan

Drealmcc0y said:
quote on facebook:

not happy with ending. How did Sawyer, Kate Ben and Hurley die? Desmond too? I didn't get any answers...WTF? What happened to the time travel shit? What was Widmores deal/the polar bears? nothing was answered. Glad everyone got together in the end but, no I don't want to leave it to interpretation...

:lol
The polar bears?Really :lol
I don't get why they want everything served on a plate while discussing is far more amusing :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
You know, maybe there wasn't much justification for not letting MIB leave 2000 years ago, but a man who can turn himself in to fucking smoke? We need justification for not letting him leave the island now?

VistraNorrez said:
As a smoke monster, it was absolutely wrong to let him leave. He hates humanity and he's shown an incredible amount of ruthlessness when he doesn't get what he wants. There's no reason to think he would stop just because he got off the island.

Jacob was a dick, but MIB wasn't innocent either. He was a killer even if he was justified, and he only got worse after becoming a smoke monster.

Then when he became mortal, he had to deal with our characters and the consequences of his actions. He didn't deserve to leave the island at that point.

but the smoke was just a victim of someone else 'pressing a button'. yes he killed the woman but the woman killed their mother and used strange powers to keep them there.

the losties themselves were willing to kill in order to get home, just like the MIB. How are they any different? We feel MIB was evil cos we saw one side of the story, but if the roles were reversed, he would easily be the hero figure. someone brought and kept there against his will.

It wasnt so much a case of him not caring about humanity, tbh that could be true or it could be completely wrong. bottom line is we dont know, and because we dont know we believe what we're told and we keep pressing the button.

the hatch and the button and the cave and the light are pretty much the same damn thing. and its all one huge metaphor for what the characters did on the show as well as the relationship with the show and the audience. awesome awesome stuff

bogg

I wonder, were people arguing about the time-travel in Back To The Future when it first came out? "wtf a time-traveling delorean lol Spielberg you hack"

TheGreatDave said:
You know, maybe there wasn't much justification for not letting MIB leave 2000 years ago, but a man who can turn himself in to fucking smoke? We need justification for not letting him leave the island now?

This works fine in a completely analytical sense. But this was a story, and the storytelling behind this MiB/Island Importance/Cave Cork thing was shaky. I feel like saying "It was a smoke monster, it was practically invincible" introduces too much, I dunno, logistical thinking? I mean, we are to just assume that the smoke monster is the be all end all for civilization because MiB is going to storm Washington DC and set off nukes or something?

This isn't to say that I think that we should have been spoon fed some sort of "doomsday scenario" as a result of Smokey leaving the Island, just saying that their wasn't much in the way of portraying him as anything more than a driven man willing to do anything to leave the island. "Across the Sea" dropped the ball in that regards, hell, until Jin and company were killed, I was beginning to like the bastard.

If were were to be logistical about it, than we know that dynamite stops it :)lol ), we know sonar fences stop it, we know it doesn't like electromagnetism, we know it can't smoke-travel water....which is why I believe the truest threat was leaving the island uncorked, and brings me two the next point.

We were given mixed signals in regards to what the "ultimate threat" to humanity was. Mother told Jacob that the island, specifically the well, is what needed protecting. She didn't say anything about a monster and I personally don't think she knew of any monster, I know there is the "she was a smoke monster" theory now but to be honest I feel as though that's reaching a bit and even then we would have to question how she was killed with a stab in the back.

I personally think that if the cork is left uncorked, THIS is going to lead to the ending of the world somehow. Whether it had to do with the "goodness of man" stuff or just some scientific thing dealing with the electromag, or both, doesn't matter. I think that the Smoke monster is a tertiary thing, sure, you don't want that thing leaving, but the island is what is most important.

some more interesting quotes from facebook :lol

"so they were ghosts??? so what did the nurse and anaesthetist think they were up to when jack operated on lock....how did lock pay the taxi driver.....where are the rest who died on the flight????? honestly what a terrible ending feel betrayed by these "professional" writers... I'm sure they made it up episode by episode"

"how did kate, sawyer & claire die??? the plane successfully took off :S"

"THEY ALL DIED BEFORE THE PLANE CRASHED"

"If I just had to use my imagination I woulnt bother watching any tv/films etc - thats ridiculous to say." OMG :lol :lol :lol

Jocchan said:
But it doesn't turn people into smoke monsters! I want a real life, realistic justification of how a human being can turn into an immortal pillar of electromagnetic black smoke able to flash someone's memories and induce hallucinations!

Someone on DarkUFO did attempt it:

The god particle (Higgs Boson), the last particle to be identified, is what gives everything else mass. It's the start of creation. By the standard model, it must exist. But we can't identify it. Hence why there's a trillion dollar circular magnet/refrigerator in Europe right now smashing atoms at light speed. Just so they can get a glimpse of this bad boy.

It's my theory, that our "light cave" or "exotic matter", is actually a cluster of God Particles. Hence why there's a "little bit of it in every man". We're all proton's and neutrons and they get mass from somewhere. That somewhere is the God Particle. So what does it do? Well aside from being so elemental it acts as a hyper-magnet of sorts, it gives people the power of creation, manifestation, and pure existence.

How does a man become a cloud of black smoke by going into a cluster of god particles? Well the god particle is a force not just of creation, but of destruction as well. It is "life, death, rebirth". Coming too close warps the standard molecular structure of man, removing it's god particles which are pulled to the islands cluster (basically removing the light from the man) and leaving it as a cloud of anti-matter. Anti-matter that's contained as long as it's removed from regular space and time. Like on an Island that's removed from regular space and time.

gdt

kaizoku said:
but the smoke was just a victim of someone else 'pressing a button'. yes he killed the woman but the woman killed their mother and used strange powers to keep them there.

the losties themselves were willing to kill in order to get home, just like the MIB. How are they any different? We feel MIB was evil cos we saw one side of the story, but if the roles were reversed, he would easily be the hero figure. someone brought and kept there against his will.

It wasnt so much a case of him not caring about humanity, tbh that could be true or it could be completely wrong. bottom line is we dont know, and because we dont know we believe what we're told and we keep pressing the button.

the hatch and the button and the cave and the light are pretty much the same damn thing. and its all one huge metaphor for what the characters did on the show as well as the relationship with the show and the audience. awesome awesome stuff

MIB was very sympathetic, but he was also the bad guy. The Losties don't know about his past, or the reason he does things, they just know he killed all their friends.

Funniest quote I read on Facebook was probably "what a load of shit. 5/6 years for pretty much 'it was all jacks dream'". Well I say funniest, but when people are hating on it largely due to their misunderstanding of it, it just pisses me off.

gdt

Faithful to the end:

Vincent-Lost-Finale.jpg

bud

if unplugging the cork made mib lose his powers and thus become mortal, then would it really matter if he got off the island?

Liara T'Soni said:
This works fine in a completely analytical sense. But this was a story, and the storytelling behind this MiB/Island Importance/Cave Cork thing was shaky. I feel like saying "It was a smoke monster, it was practically invincible" introduces too much, I dunno, logistical thinking? I mean, we are to just assume that the smoke monster is the be all end all for civilization because MiB is going to storm Washington DC and set off nukes or something?

This isn't to say that I think that we should have been spoon fed some sort of "doomsday scenario" as a result of Smokey leaving the Island, just saying that their wasn't much in the way of portraying him as anything more than a driven man willing to do anything to leave the island. "Across the Sea" dropped the ball in that regards, hell, until Jin and company were killed, I was beginning to like the bastard.

If were were to be logistical about it, than we know that dynamite stops it :)lol ), we know sonar fences stop it, we know it doesn't like electromagnetism, we know it can't smoke-travel water....which is why I believe the truest threat was leaving the island uncorked, and brings me two the next point.

We were given mixed signals in regards to what the "ultimate threat" to humanity was. Mother told Jacob that the island, specifically the well, is what needed protecting. She didn't say anything about a monster and I personally don't think she knew of any monster, I know there is the "she was a smoke monster" theory now but to be honest I feel as though that's reaching a bit and even then we would have to question how she was killed with a stab in the back.

I personally think that if the cork is left uncorked, THIS is going to lead to the ending of the world somehow. Whether it had to do with the "goodness of man" stuff or just some scientific thing dealing with the electromag, or both, doesn't matter. I think that the Smoke monster is a tertiary thing, sure, you don't want that thing leaving, but the island is what is most important.
I think both things were a threat. We definitely know the cork being left uncorked would have ended everything as it was stated by Jacob, Widmore and Hawking. And even the mother (I think).

In terms of Jacob, he had a lot of "reasons" to prevent MiB from leaving:
- he eventually realized that his mom was also smokey and saw the destruction she did to the people MiB lived with
- felt guilty about what he did to MiB and wanted to make it up to him
- was a momma's boy and mom said they can't leave
- and over time he saw what Smokey did to the people who came (such as the people on the Black Rock)

Once Jacob died, the losties had more than enough reasons to kill MiB. They saw the destruction that he did. His actions resulted in hundreds of deaths on the Island. And they wanted revenge. "We have to kill him Jack" is what Kate said after it hit her that MiB orphaned Ji Yeon. That was more than enough reason to not let him leave.

Igoritza

Banned
I dont like the theory where smokey hates humanity, and presents a danger to the world.

as we saw in "across the sea" - he was actually the one that wanted to be with the people, he was the one wanting to leave the island to BE with the people, and "other mother" and Jacob didnt want that.

i cant put my finger on that one, and make any sense out of it.

Mother lied to them, manipulated them both, lied even about people on the island, and when Nemesis made friends, got to be a people's person - she shattered that dream, killing his folks.

Island at the time already had a protector, and a successor (Jacob) so there was really no need to keep MiB around. she was evil, she was a danger to the people, and the boy himself was a pure hearted one, and with good intentions.

so, this is my theory -

Island and the light, do not want to preserve the island - for the sake of the world, light wants to preserve itself - for the sake of itself.

im basing that on the fact that Jacob's actions led to evil and death as much as did Nemesis'es. Illana for example. oh, and - few lives, as a collateral - Nemesis did that, no different than the mother. and, i found him to be sincere when speaking of that, in Locke's form, more than Jacob's rumblings (he is worse than Yoda reference)

he should have a knowledge about the light as much as Jacob, maybe even more, because Jacobs power source is the damn wine, Nemesis was the one to be converted at the source of the light.

Igoritza said:
I dont like the theory where smokey hates humanity, and presents a danger to the world.

as we saw in "across the sea" - he was actually the one that wanted to be with the people, he was the one wanting to leave the island to BE with the people, and "other mother" and Jacob didnt want that.

Igoritza you cleary dont pay attention :lol

even though he was with people he hated them

Drealmcc0y said:
Igoritza you cleary dont pay attention :lol

even though he was with people he hated them

And he also used people like pawns... he was so nice to the candidates over two seasons only to gather them into a sub and blow them up. I think Smokey might have some people under the spell that he had Claire and Sayid under :lol

RichardAM said:
I love that the people who actually care about the show (Fox, Garcia, Emmerson, O'Quinn) were the ones who ended up being the most important characters throughout the series. I don't know if they got lucky or if they ended up leaving the big roles open and then started filling them in with people they liked (we do know this happened with Ben). Imagine if Fox decided after 3 seasons that he wanted to be paid 5 times as much for the final 3 seasons? *cough*Eko*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom