• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear (SE, Tokyo RPG Factory) launches January 23, 2018 on the West

FelipeMGM

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...llow-up-lost-sphear-launches-january-23-2018/

At E3, Tokyo RPG Factory gave fans an early taste of the unique gameplay and beautiful world players will experience. Today, much like the power of memory, new artwork and new announcements have manifested for Lost Sphear.

First off, RPG fans can look forward to playing Lost Sphear on January 23rd 2018

If you're a collector who prefers physical boxes for your game library, the Physical Edition is available exclusively from the Square Enix Online Store!

EDIT: Square PR
LOS ANGELES (July 25, 2017) – SQUARE ENIX® today announced that, LOST SPHEAR™, the latest title from Tokyo RPG Factory™ will be available on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Nintendo Switch™ console, and STEAM® on January 23, 2018.

The game is available to pre-order now from the PlayStation®Store and STEAM. Those who pre-order on the PlayStation®Store will receive a ”Memoirs of the Moon" dynamic PlayStation®4 theme and two music tracks. Those who pre-order on STEAM will receive a custom LOST SPHEAR wallpaper and two music tracks.

LOST SPHEAR will be available digitally from the PlayStation®Store, Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, and STEAM. The game will also be available as a physical package exclusively from the SQUARE ENIX Online Store for the PlayStation®4 system (http://sqex.to/MxJ) and Nintendo Switch (http://sqex.to/YMC). Fans who pre-order the game from the SQUARE ENIX Online Store will receive two music tracks as a gift at launch.

DKHF

4 days after another JRPG (Ni no Kuni 2).

Hopefully this game is great. Still need to check out Setsuna.

sotojuan

Wonder if this will feel as heartless as I am Setsuna.

This is my thought as well. A lot of these callbacks to 90s JRPGs are great from a mechanical point of view but feel "empty" and lack "heart". Feels like they're just going through the motions of how to make a standard JRPG.

sotojuan

I almost fell asleep watching this. Looks so lifeless D:

These new JRPGs look like someone found a book called "How to make a 90s style JRPG" and followed it line by line. Yeah, the mechanics and tropes are there, but there's no heart or punch to them.

I feel like there's something missing in this game.. character portraits.

They had those in Setsuna, why ditch them for this?

Andyliini

Sorry for necrobump, but Nintendo just released a new trailer for the game. The game is still coming out in January 2018 in both US & EU, and the physical edition is still exclusive to Square-Enix store.

The game looks quite basic JRPG, but I love them, and I also want to show some support for Square-Enix for bringing games on Switch in timely manner.

Koeta

I still can't figure out for the life of me why they removed the character portraits from the dialogue windows, bugs the hell out of me.

3m7gU69.png

synce

It's crazy to me that they're charging $50 for this after Setsuna tanked. I'd love another old school RPG but can't bring myself to spend more than $20 when something looks like a mobile game

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I played the demo and didn't even finish the first battle, it was SO BORING. This game would have to review insanely high to win me back to purchasing it.

I liked Setsuna enough but I don't think I'd have tried it if I hadn't bought a Switch. Not sure I'd want to play another game like it, unless this has something unique going for it.

Setsuna had a rather unique setting that was delivered with a surprising about of heart, and it had remarkable focus to ensure that it did what it needed to do in a 20 hour running time. If Lost Sphear can do the same but with a new unique twist (even in setting) then I'll probably give it a go.

I still can't figure out for the life of me why they removed the character portraits from the dialogue windows, bugs the hell out of me.

That's a good point. The character portraits were quite important in Setsuna because the game didn't do "fake 3D" to make characters always face the camera, like, say, the DS Final Fantasies or A Link Between Worlds. So you were always staring near the top of their heads in gameplay.

bigedole

I enjoyed Setsuna, definitely interested in this. Are there any import takes on it? Or newer videos of Japanese gameplay? I'd like to know a little more about it.

EDarkness

I really liked I Am Setsuna. There is no way I'm gonna miss this game. There's no hype for the game at all, but doesn't matter to me. Getting it in January.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I really liked I Am Setsuna. There is no way I'm gonna miss this game. There's no hype for the game at all, but doesn't matter to me. Getting it in January.

I wouldn't exactly say "there's no hype" but this game is definitely niche. I played Setsuna and enjoyed it a lot - especially the music. Looking forward to this and already have the physical version pre-ordered.

EDarkness

I wouldn't exactly say "there's no hype" but this game is definitely niche. I played Setsuna and enjoyed it a lot - especially the music. Looking forward to this and already have the physical version pre-ordered.

The game bombed pretty hard in Japan and hardly any of my friends are talking about the game. I don't think that demo did them any favors, but this is a game I'm really interested in playing. I hope it's at least as good as I Am Setsuna.

Koeta

The game bombed pretty hard in Japan and hardly any of my friends are talking about the game. I don't think that demo did them any favors, but this is a game I'm really interested in playing. I hope it's at least as good as I Am Setsuna.

The base price increase didn't help also, I would have picked up the Switch version but buying directly from Square's store isn't worth it to me, S&H on top of the higher base price pushed me to wait for a Steam sale sadly.

Top Bottom