• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of New Super Mario Maker Footage Round-Up

Robin64

YES I noticed that too.

In SMB1, ground blocks were only ever used as actual ground, the bottom two tiles on the screen.

Though I did like how they were used in DK's Kong Country. They look good there, really helping the jungle feeling and giving some wonderful texture along with all the foliage.

RXqGAkX.png

KeRaSh

I really want to skip to day 9 but I'm a little paranoid about getting banned. It would suck to get a brand new Wii U for my most anticipated game of the year just to get banned the same day. :D

BratmanDu

So should I just set my wiiU clock back 9 days before I stick the disk in?

Has this been confirmed to work in bypassing the content lock? And there'll be no repercussions?

I don't have a problem with the rollout, I just want to get into advanced stuff quickly and figure I can handle it.

Porcile

A lot of the impressions I've listened to suggest that the delayed roll-out of items is by no means a bad thing. I'll do what Papa Nintendo tells me to do.

MrBadger

I really want to skip to day 9 but I'm a little paranoid about getting banned. It would suck to get a brand new Wii U for my most anticipated game of the year just to get banned the same day. :D

if Nintendo banned people for bypassing their stupid little timer, that'd be one of the dumbest things they could do. You won't get banned.

CzarTim

So should I just set my wiiU clock back 9 days before I stick the disk in?

Has this been confirmed to work in bypassing the content lock? And there'll be no repercussions?

I don't have a problem with the rollout, I just want to get into advanced stuff quickly and figure I can handle it.
It's not a real life timer. You need to play for five minutes each day for nine days to unlock everything. Those days don't need to be consecutive. In order to unlock everything on day one you'd need to play for a few minutes until the stuff is unlocked, set your clock forward a day, and then repeat the process eight more times.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if you can re-make Super Mario Brother 2 USA's levels pretty faithfully minus some enemies and the pick-up mechanic of course? Anyone try this yet...seems like an obvious one.

Although I guess the levels are big enough you might need 2 levels.

BratmanDu

It's not a real life timer. You need to play for five minutes each day for nine days to unlock everything. Those days don't need to be consecutive. In order to unlock everything on day one you'd need to play for a few minutes until the stuff is unlocked, set your clock forward a day, and then repeat the process eight more times.

Oh yea, I get that alright, I'll have to play for 5min, set clock forward, do another 5 min, repeat. Just wondering if this is confirmed to work in bypassing the content lock?

Do I need to turn off wifi or anything so the time doesn't auto update?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if you can re-make Super Mario Brother 2 USA's levels pretty faithfully minus some enemies and the pick-up mechanic of course? Anyone try this yet...seems like an obvious one.

Although I guess the levels are big enough you might need 2 levels.

Mario Bros 2 levels can have quite a lot of verticality (the first level starts with a drop) so they may be too tall for Mario Maker.

maxcriden

Oh yea, I get that alright, I'll have to play for 5min, set clock forward, do another 5 min, repeat. Just wondering if this is confirmed to work in bypassing the content lock?

Do I need to turn off wifi or anything so the time doesn't auto update?

No idea about turning off wifi, but based on what I read about the review build, yep, it should work without issue.

Watch Da Birdie

So...that Stage has a Mario 3 song playing in the Mario 1-style...how exactly does the song selection work anyway?

Kouriozan

So...that Stage has a Mario 3 song playing in the Mario 1-style...how exactly does the song selection work anyway?

That's a "sound effect", the little frog can add bonus stage or bowser/boss music where you want on the course.
You can notice it directly when DK goes out of the pipe.

Also, why use Donkey Kong? Mario was the PC for the original Donkey Kong. And the ? block in the Arcade could have held a star for more authenticity.

The star would have made it waaay too easy, and obscured the music. And they chose DK for the classic music and sound effects which better match the theme of the game

NeonZ

For some reason, the Mario Bros boss theme, rather than a new theme like most other bgms for new situations in the game (like Ghost house in SMB1) is just the Mario 3 minor-boss battle theme.

Platy

A few sites are using old images in the "games that will launch this week" and it is interesting to see the diferences

MyR7XkE.jpg

For example the diferent icon for "? block" with coin and with mushroom, that implys tht you could not put enemies there

NateDrake

Going to be doing a livestream tonight but will add some narration and will show what the viewers want to see. So if people want to see random levels from the community, that is what I'll show. I'll update this post once I figure out a time.

Platy

Going to be doing a livestream tonight but will add some narration and will show what the viewers want to see. So if people want to see random levels from the community, that is what I'll show. I'll update this post once I figure out a time.

Please show the "see more" link in the page of notifications of who played your level

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A few sites are using old images in the "games that will launch this week" and it is interesting to see the diferences

MyR7XkE.jpg

For example the diferent icon for "? block" with coin and with mushroom, that implys tht you could not put enemies there

The big change is of course the graphics. Gone is the grid background and gradient shading trying to give the SMB theme a 'modern' look.

Looking at the original trailer I'm reminded that the Mario Paint fly swatter clapping is gone from completing a level.

Also we've seen lanky Mario, but is that original squashed Mario shown off here with the glitch Mushroom still in the game? I haven't seen it once.

RagnarokX

There is one thing I'd like to know but you don't have to do it in the live stream. Just tell me if you can place bullet bill blasters on tracks at various heights. I know you can put ones on that are 3 tiles tall but can you make them taller and put those on?

RagnarokX

Oh, another thing I just found out, NateDrake. I saw a video of a guy playing a SMW level he made and he put a buzzy beetle helmet on his head by simply holding it ducking. Does this work in all 3 of the styles where he can hold the helmets?

Red Devil

At this point, Daisy wouldn't be representing the Mario Land series, but Mario spin offs in general. I guess
Mario piloting a Kart and Waluigi (he even holds a racket for his special animation)
are already taking that spot though, from their point of view.
I'm surprised by all the Mario Bros representation too. It seems so random. The crab and koopa-like enemies, really?.

I guess a Goomba is more representative of SMB and Sidesteppers and Shellcreepers more representative of Mario Bros. which I guess it's fine that gets representation after all it's still the predecessor of Super Mario Bros., at least in my opinion.

This is hilarious asinine lol. They can put in waluigi(not complaining) but not daisy? Lol wut Nintendo.

Edit: the mario series is still missing a spot or 2 so there's that I guess.

Perhaps we could be reaching the point that Daisy isn't even showing up on spin-off games after all it's clear that Waluigi is THE spin-off character, heh.

NateDrake

There is one thing I'd like to know but you don't have to do it in the live stream. Just tell me if you can place bullet bill blasters on tracks at various heights. I know you can put ones on that are 3 tiles tall but can you make them taller and put those on?

Yup. You can put the bullet bill blasters on the tracks and adjust the height of them.

Watch Da Birdie

What I meant is, when making a level, can you choose the BGM for the whole level? Or is it automatically chosen based on the game + theme?

Like could I use the Super Mario World music on a SMB's Bowser's Castle stage?

NateDrake

Had some technical issues preventing the livestream from happening tonight, but it will be a guarantee tomorrow. As an added bonus, I'm currently at Stage 14/16 on Expert with 50 lives remaining. If things don't go to hell, I'll start the stream with the final stages of Expert Mode & then move on to whatever the viewers want to see.

mStudios

Had some technical issues preventing the livestream from happening tonight, but it will be a guarantee tomorrow. As an added bonus, I'm currently at Stage 14/16 on Expert with 50 lives remaining. If things don't go to hell, I'll start the stream with the final stages of Expert Mode & then move on to whatever the viewers want to see.

Do I get a notification on my phone whenever you go live?

I've seen it with a few streamers but not all of them.

Am I the only one intentionally not watching much, if any footage in order for most of the tools/features to be a complete surprise?

I hate knowing each and everything about a game before I buy it. The element of surprise is a very special thing.

NateDrake

Do I get a notification on my phone whenever you go live?

I've seen it with a few streamers but not all of them.

I don't know how Youtube's notification system works for livestreams. I'll look into that a bit more tomorrow prior to setting up any stream.

Am I the only one intentionally not watching much, if any footage in order for most of the tools/features to be a complete surprise?

I hate knowing each and everything about a game before I buy it. The element of surprise is a very special thing.
I agree with you. This is one of the reasons I never really watched GameXplain (or any YT channel that does full breakdowns) videos because I felt they went into such depth with some games that they removed any wonder and mystery from it. I get making a detailed video, but you don't need to show every item, every enemy, and every possible combination.

Top Bottom