• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Season 2 |OT| It's worth a shot - Netflix March 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
nyjFpMu.png

Rebellious Mickey and good-natured Gus navigate the thrills and agonies of modern relationships in this bold new comedy co-created by Judd Apatow.

Release date: March 10th.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag any (spoiler) discussion for two weeks. And make sure to label your spoiler discussion. (i.e. Episode 3:
Wow, bunch of them are huge assholes.
)

Links:

Reviews:

• Uproxx:

Season two's also a bit more emotionally balanced between the two leads. Mickey is always going to be the more complicated figure — and Jacobs continues to impress with her vulnerability and emotional candor in the role — but there were times last year when Love seemed to be treating Gus as a sympathetic, if neurotic, man getting dragged into an emotional abyss by a woman he's too good for. Late in that season, we started to get signs that Gus is no day at the beach, either — that he can be incredibly judgmental and co-dependent, and that he's largely to blame for the sorry state of his professional and romantic lives. Season two smartly pulls even more on that thread, as Mickey begins to question Gus's behavior as her sobriety cheerleader, and Gus has to confront the many flaws hidden beneath the nice guy armor he wears so proudly. The equation has moved from wondering why he puts up with her to wondering if either of them is healthy for the other. It's a smarter, better combination, and the second season is much stronger all around.
  • Vulture:

I like the show Love and sometimes I'm not sure why.

That response feels appropriate since Love's two protagonists, Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) and Gus (Paul Rust), feel strong affection for each other without entirely understanding why, either, especially during the second season that starts streaming Friday on Netflix. After an initial season that followed the coalescing of their relationship into something friendly, then romantic, then volatile, the second run of episodes focuses on the pair's attempt to become a real couple, despite the fact that Mickey has told Gus she's dealing with the hat trick of addictions: a dependency on alcohol, drugs, and sex/love. This should be a major red flag, but both Mickey and Gus have an astonishing talent for something best described by another Netflix show, BoJack Horseman: ”When you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags."

Cast:

oRUXUeG.jpg

Gillian Jacobs as Mickey Dobbs, Paul Rust as Gus Cruikshank, Claudia O'Doherty as Bertie

qTwlWOQ.jpg

Tracie Thoms as Susan Cheryl, Jordan Rock as Kevin, Mike Mitchell as Randy

Promo photos:

ZeroX03

Banned
Also reviews seem positive, the show being more critical of Gus can only be a good thing.

Season three has already been confirmed btw folks.

I watched the first season and I think I liked it but overall it left me with this really upsetting feeling down in my gut by the end.

I think that was probably the intended effect but christ man

Effnine

Fantastic show. Watching season 1 again because somehow my wife nearly forgot everything. Doesn't matter though because I'm enjoying seeing it a second time.

DJKhaled

How long until this is up? Does it go up midnight LA time? It's say March 10th in Australia so it has to be in the next 5 and a half hours.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Just noticed it's ready now in the UK (wasn't a few hours ago).

Cant wait to binge tonight - Gillian is just, ah...

tumblr_o3o93jd67X1trgnw9o1_500.jpg

TVexperto

I love this show so much... its something about the way the way this show is shot etc. makes me happy. Its kinda like Flaked. Anybody know how you call kind of show?

crustikid

I love this show so much... its something about the way the way this show is shot etc. makes me happy. Its kinda like Flaked. Anybody know how you call kind of show?

A rom-com? They're usually shot bright and colorful. Everything is well lit. Plus they probably shoot in 4K because its Netflix unlike most TV shows.

Or maybe its the city of LA? Notice that they use a good mix of locations interior and exterior.

TVexperto

A rom-com? They're usually shot bright and colorful. Everything is well lit. Plus they probably shoot in 4K because its Netflix unlike most TV shows.

Or maybe its the city of LA? Notice that they use a good mix of locations interior and exterior.

Yeah its probably the location and the sunny blue skies. I also really loved Burn Notice

Edit: I just found the the term on the vulture review, its called Sad in California Comedies like Transparent, Casual, You're the Worst, Flaked and BoJack Horseman

Corpekata

Banned
It reminds me a lot of mumblecore on a surface level. Very few sets, mostly shot in real places. California's a popular setting in both. Lots of angsty 30 somethings. And it feels like a lot of the people that made up that movement have been moving into TV, or at least have influenced a lot of recent comedy series.

TheYanger

Episode four was great, just enough unsettling shit mixed with genuine connections between people are what makes this feel really grounded to me.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Question for anyone who has seen Seas0n 2, episode 4 and beyond

Did it seem like there was an episode missing between 3 & 4?! Like, at the end 3 she was about to break it off and they'd left it weirdly, then the start of episode 4 they're together...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So far I like this season more because it's not all insidery Hollywood blahblahblah. Although maybe that'll change.

big ander

Through 4 now. (Would be more but instead of starting it last night I rewatched...7 of the season 1 eps.) Shrooms was great, Mitch and Claudia were hysterical. Mitch was seriously scary in an awesome way. Loved that cover at the end.

So far the show seems to have improved upon season 1 in every way—more focus on the actual Gus and Mickey relationship rather than separating them for streaks, each of their flaws are better drawn, and we're getting more of the best supporting characters like Chris. Only way it hasn't improved is by continuing to have terrible pointless scenes with the apatow daughter but I get those were probably a requirement to get his name attached.

And of course more Bertie. Her story about cutting up the rabbit killed me. So did her excuse about the ted talk
Question for anyone who has seen Seas0n 2, episode 4 and beyond

Did it seem like there was an episode missing between 3 & 4?! Like, at the end 3 she was about to break it off and they'd left it weirdly, then the start of episode 4 they're together...
I didn't get the
impression micks was considering breaking it off at all. She was just weighing whether to say to Gus that having sex was a bad idea or not, and decided not to after talking to Bertie. She seemed to recognize it wasn't perfectly healthy, and that she should pace herself having sex with Gus, but that she really did like and trust Gus
Wow, didn't even know that season 2 was being made, let alone dropping now. I'm in.
3's happening too

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The shroom episode is fantastic. Both hilarious exchanges and how it must feel to be sober in a world if users.

Bertie is the gem of this show.

You are a beast
You are covered in fur
And I am covered in flesh

Bertie: and neither of you have jobs

big ander

Wow episode 8 is a masterpiece. The music selection on this show is superb.
The shroom episode is fantastic. Both hilarious exchanges and how it must feel to be sober in a world if users.

Bertie is the gem of this show.

You are a beast
You are covered in fur
And I am covered in flesh

Bertie: and neither of you have jobs
Died at that. And at Bertie stopping the search to feel the stove

Bladenic

On episode 8 and so far I'm pretty much always on Gus' side. Mickey is almost always starting their fights over dumb shit or not being clear on what she expects.

crustikid

Ending:
  • Wow, these are some of the worst people ever.
    [*]Kudos on the Rust/Arfin/Apatow team for a great season!
    [*]Between Crashing and Girls, this is Apatow's best work on the air at the moment. Love that Swanberg directed a few of S2 episodes including the finale.
    [*]Some of the stories feel really familiar-like on a personal level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom