• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Season 2 |OT| It's worth a shot - Netflix March 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukumo

Watched four episodes, thought is good.
First season grew on me, this second one seems to have a bit more kick. Jokes are better, pace is better, photography looks less plastic.
Didn't like the first episode. I understand the motives of the characters but it felt soooo forced!

bigmase84

Neo Member
On episode 5 right now...
Does anyone know
what happened to Gus' car. Looks like he got hit but I can't remember if that happened in season 1 or just something over looked but the staff behind the show

bleaker

I get thrown for a loop every time Gus mentions where he is from. It's not everyday someone mentions South Dakota on TV or film.

Season 2 so far has been pretty good based on the first two episodes. I feel like Paul Rust is setting into his role a lot better. He's still a dick, but I feel like he knows it now, which is a big improvement over being fake nice all the time. Still some of that, but he's more honest with himself and Mickey now.

Koozek

Two episodes in, enjoying it. Loved the first season so much, I watched it twice (first in English, then in Spanish right after even though I only understood maybe 25%, lol).

ezekial45

Banned
Was this season sponsored by Uber or something? Every episode references it. Every damn episode!
I feel like it has more to do with Uber being the catch-all phrase for using rideshare apps. Sort of like google meaning to do a search online.

People even say 'get an uber' even when they're taking Lyft.

big ander

I really like how there's focus on transportation. a lot of scenes of people driving or ordering rideshares. Captures the reality of LA

First four episodes are boring as hell. I haven't cringed once. There are hardly any jokes and there's just a lot less energy. I don't know if I'll even keep watching, and I loved the first season.

DrBo42

After watching both season 1 and 2 I've gotta say "You're the Worst" is a far better version of this show. Funnier, better chemistry and far more genuine when it needs to be. Bertie is the best part of this.

Bladenic

After watching both season 1 and 2 I've gotta say "You're the Worst" is a far better version of this show. Funnier, better chemistry and far more genuine when it needs to be. Bertie is the best part of this.

I like this show, but yeah, You're The Worst is way better in every way. Bertie is definitely the best thing here. Also Mickey was quite insufferable this season.

That tune they play at the end of episode 3 was pretty good. Also, getting with a bunch of friends and making up bullshit theme songs would be amazing.

bigmase84

Neo Member
On the second to last episode of this season...

I hate Mickey just because I've dated someone like her and I was naive about Mickey like I was with that ex

Enco

Love this show. So good. The characters, the humour, the setting. All great.

That ending episode though...

Hope Gus finds out the truth. I'm sure it'll happen next season.

emrober5

I think I'm on episode 7. So far the season has been great with the exception of the first episode, didn't care for that one at all.

I think I'm addicted to all these "realistic comedy" type of shows. I watch so many and like them all.

I liked this season better than the first. Whoever pointed out that this one focuses more on the relationship than the two being apart was completely right, and I think that's why this season works better.

Gillian Jacobs is so good in this show, I wish she could get some kind of recognition for it because this show is a million times worse without her.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I don't feel those dogs would have pooped in the mansion. They were also in the main house when he arrived.

also mickey stop being an asshole

I'm glad I pushed through and kept watching this show. It gets good after the first five coma inducing episodes.

Gillian Jacobs is so good in this show, I wish she could get some kind of recognition for it because this show is a million times worse without her.

I think she's the weakest part of the show.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finally got around to watching the first two episodes. I'm liking it so far. Bertie is still the best.

Episode 9.
I really feel like this Gus getting annoyed at everything Mickie does and telling her about it is pretty forced. It's like the writers remembered the end of the season is coming and there has to be conflict between them. I'm just at the part with the dog shit though, so I don't know what happens after yet.

Edit: yeah, Gus is obnoxious in this episode.

Edit #2: fuck, she broke that bowl! They both nuts.

ZeroX03

Banned
I liked it. I think it was a lot more consistent than season one. More focus, more laughs, more relationship, less cringe. Didn't quite hit some of the highs as the first season though, the finale felt pretty restrained and not as strong as last year's.

Ennosuke

I love Love :) Not saying it is a perfect show, but the characters are great and it this general vibe is great.

Episode 11
Goddammit Mickey! I was on her side too. I've actually been in Gus's position here where a relationship is on the rocks and you start doing things that you wouldn't have normally done in an effort to better understand your partner and make things better like him going to AA. Meanwhile, she's off fucking some other guy.

All of the comments made this season about Mickey having no friends because she fucks them over or that they get tired of her bullshit are finally coming true. It's sad to see.

big ander

Finished. Season was fantastic through episode 9.
Through then the relationship feels tense on both sides in a very believable way. Gus is suffocating, he's failing to give Mickey enough space to work on herself at her own pace and he's focusing on her problems because he doesn't want to look at his own. And Mickey is impulsive and careless and prone to acting out and bad at communication. Their blowup is painful but awesomely written—it feels truly dangerous, like they would either reach a breaking point or overcome it and be stronger. And it was cool to see the latter start to happen, as they both admitted they had to work on themselves.
Then the last chunk of episodes happens.
I get that it's sort of the point that this time apart came at just the wrong time. When Mickey's saying goodbye it's clear that if Gus stuck around they might have more fully confronted the problems that came up while housesitting. Which makes it hard to watch when he goes to Atlanta. Of course the show would be boring if everything worked out easily, but I simply find it unsatisfying and almost stressful when we're just watching inertia take hold, watching Gus turn too clingy and childish and Mickey turn dishonest and giving into her sex and love addiction. I so badly want them to communicate. Not getting that, instead getting Mickey's lying right up until the end while Gus truly does take some positive steps through Al-Anon, is somehow both nerve-wracking and anticlimactic. Just like with season 1, the ending point is arbitrary.

Same goes for Bertie and Randy.
I liked how it went down for them with Bertie not inviting Randy to the viewing party, and was hoping they also would break up and/or have a big talk where they dig into Randy's buried aggression and mania and Bertie's repression and people-pleasing. Instead the break up is botched by the brother being there and then they start hooking up again and that's it. More inertia—once again, this is realistic. But it's dramatically something of a tease.

A good tease in the end, I suppose. I like that as these characters are improving themselves other parts of their lives are falling apart. Mickey's professional life starts going great and she's doing fantastic with AA, right as she starts cheating on Gus and lying to people and using Dustin for sex and attachment.
It's fucking hard to watch! But it's also very real, but it's also not necessarily dramatically satisfying. I think there could be a slightly better balance, where the show is "realistic" without the season ending points feeling wholly arbitrary. Nonetheless this show stands apart among this wave of romcom/drama post-mumblecore TV and I'm happy to have it around. Just as the ending of season 1, the ending of season 2 has me immediately kind of bummed but it'll sit better with more distance I think.

Interview with Gillian and Paul at the AV Club about the show's use of time and chemistry and more.

barik

Just finished it. I haven't seen the first season since it came out so I don't remember it too well, but I think I enjoyed this season more than I did the first. I like that they spent more time showing us the chemistry between Gus and Mickey, and how low-key it felt overall. Also, I haven't seen a lot of people mention this but I loved the soundtrack. I might have to watch the whole thing again just to unpack some of it, the all-at-once format is fun but it does feel like a lot of stuff gets lost in the shuffle, if that makes sense.

Randy is the worst

I got so angry and uneasy during the shrooms episode. Fucking Randy.

Just finished episode 5, and it was perfect. I almost want to not continue and leave it at that. I've had days like that with gf in LA and we were nostalgia bombing through the whole episode.

On a meta-note, Paul Rust's use of "babee" is in our everyday vernacular because of his appearances on comedy bang bang the podcast, so to hear it in the show had us dying.

It's almost comically ridiculous how unprofessional Gus is at his jobs, given how lucky he is to get unique opportunities in back to back seasons and how smart/disciplined he seems to think he is outside of work.

Finished season 2, really dug it. This show strikes a cord with me since I dated someone who was extreeeemely like Mickie (though I'm nothing like Gus, minus the naivete I suppose).

They should release an album of movie songs.

Neither of these people should be in that intense a relationship so soon. I understand that Mickey is trying to mature, but she's forcing herself into something that she isn't ready for. You can't force yourself to grow up in that kind of situation.

Reedirect

Finished Season 2, loved it overall. I feel like this season had way less situations where Gus or Mickey fucked up and acted generally obnoxious at work, and instead kept fucking up in their relationship. Season 1 had me shaking my head and feeling incredibly awkward in certain situations (Gus' writing room meltdown, Mickey crashing several parties), which didn't happen as much this time around. It was part of the charm back then, but I definitely didn't miss it.

Also, brilliantly written fights between the two, completely true to their characters and feelings at the moment.

Just finished the last episode. It was great, but I had to take a long walk after watching it. It's weird seeing myself in both Gus and Mickey...they're just so damaged and relateable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom