• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: BloodBorne

Afrocious

I wouldn't mess with Arcane until you've beaten the game. I wouldn't recommend running Arcane for your first character.

Arcane based characters are fun and makes the game piss easy, but there's a bit of errata you'll have to deal with in the beginning.

Renewed

I picked up the Complete Edition that'll have the DLC and thought I couldn't play until the 20th but I realized once I turned on my PS4 that Bloodborne was downloaded.

Got started and holy shit, it's rough. But it feels good to explore, kick butt and find routes that connect around to where I started.

Game of The Forever. PlayStation 4 first champion and it's an amazing one. I can't wait until the expansion drops so that the haters who like to discredit the amazing game that was crafted can be silenced.

"Got bodied like 10 times." If only you knew the horrors that lay ahead. I want to say the punchline Drake said to Meek but I don't want to use the word Lol.

Game of The Forever. PlayStation 4 first champion and it's an amazing one. I can't wait until the expansion drops so that the haters who like to discredit the amazing game that was crafted can be silenced.

"Got bodied like 10 times." If only you knew the horrors that lay ahead. I want to say the punchline Drake said to Meek but I don't want to use the word Lol.

Oh my :S

I be dying back to back 8

Aurongel

Stunning from beginning to end for me personally and this is coming from someone who was burned HARD from Dark Souls 2. My favorite part of Bloodborne is how the game gradually becomes more
nightmarish and grotesque in design. By the end of the game, enemies like horrific werewolves and mutant hollows seem like Winnie the Poo compared to some of the Cronenberg abortions you encounter later.

By the end of the game, enemies like horrific werewolves and mutant hollows seem like Winnie the Poo compared to some of the Cronenberg abortions you encounter later.
The depth to the character design is inspired. The Hunt's transition into the Nightmare is never stale... It remains fresh while growing more twisted and terrifying.

Welcome to the drug that is Soulsborne games OP. Wait till after your first playthrough to watch lore videos and then be blown away by the amount of detail and nuance put into the world and story, stuff you couldnt even begin to think of.

Once you play this go play Dark Souls 1 Demons then Dark Souls 2 and wonder how you went this long without experiencing them.

Fhtagn

Yeap, for a while that's what I used to wind down after work. My gamer friend couldn't believe I used the Souls games as a way to relieve stress lol

The way I always put it to people while I was working my way through the chalice dungeons and getting stuck on half the bosses is this: "it's fun to be mad about something that doesn't matter for a change."

That and at this point, after beating the game so many times, playing Dark Souls up to O&S is straight up comforting. I can just cruise through it like nothing, chuckling when I get killed for being too cocky or not leveling enough vitality.

Foffy

Banned
Consider skipping the Chalice Dungeons. They are easily the weakest parts of the game with their copypaste design, even if they have the hardest bosses in the game residing in them.

I was LTTP too, only got it last week.

Yada yada yada, platinum in four days, my GOTY.

You're in for one hell of a ride.

Platinum'd in 4 days?
I got it more than a week ago and put 30 hours in it. Is this game easy to Platinum??
I'm in the third moon phase now, gonna beat it soon and I'm having a blast right now. Super fun game and a really beautiful one too.

mulac

Good Hunter...

Bloodborne is only my 2nd Platinum - and while I have tried (and failed) to experience similar obsession with Dark Souls 1 and 2 - decided to stop playing them and hold out for DS3 next year...they are both very VERY different experiences to the Hunt that is Bloodborne.

Enjoy it, savour it - we will not experience something as profound and lore-filled and under the skin amazing for a long time...or 2 weeks till The Old Hunters DLC comes out.

Then we have the wait for Bloodborne 2: Blood Harder sometime in 2019...

Fhtagn

Consider skipping the Chalice Dungeons. They are easily the weakest parts of the game with their copypaste design, even if they have the hardest bosses in the game residing in them.

OTOH, consider doing them immediately as they become available, spread out as much as possible throughout your game, because they are a fun diversion and have a ton of unique bosses.

I know many people vocally hated the chalices but I personally loved them. They aren't compelling in the same way as the main game but the explore/find treasure room/find switch for boss/fight boss loop was so satisfying to me.

I see why a lot people quit early especially since you can't level up until you encounter the boss.

You actually don't have to encounter any bosses to be able to level up but most people don't know this on their first playthrough. You only need 1 insight which you can get from The Madmans Knowledge in the sewers before the
G
ascoigne
Boss Fight and then just return to the hunters dream

That's how ive done it on new playthrough's.

I thought it was clever.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Question, is it important to level up arcane,blood tinge and skill trees?

Skill affects your Visceral damage, while Strength does not, so all in all Skill will give you more bang for the buck.

Bloodtinge is situational, though powerful bullets can immensely help you against some of the bosses, especially the large ones. There is only one melee weapon that uses it--and that is only in one of its form--which is the Chikage/Katana, but in order to get it you will need to do rather involved set of things, and a boss that is ironically enough will be hard to defeat if you are using a bloodtinge build.

Arcane can be fun, but can generally be ignored since it doesn't have the oomph the other stat offers if attacking power is your concern..The Old Hunter DLC may change this, however.

You actually don't have to encounter any bosses to be able to level up but most people don't know this on their first playthrough. You only need 1 insight which you can get from The Madmans Knowledge in the sewers before the
G
ascoigne

I thought it was clever.

giphy.gif

I had it all along after I killed those rats

Foffy

Banned
OTOH, consider doing them immediately as they become available, spread out as much as possible throughout your game, because they are a fun diversion and have a ton of unique bosses.

I know many people vocally hated the chalices but I personally loved them. They aren't compelling in the same way as the main game but the explore/find treasure room/find switch for boss/fight boss loop was so satisfying to me.

The bosses are fine, but I feel too much of the designs and layouts would be acceptable in the first King's Field.

There are like three themes to these dungeons, and even if you play all of the non-Root dungeons, you go through repeated boss fights. I kinda stopped with
the Pthumerian who could throw his swords in the hallway with the pillars, because his attack clips through the walls and was the most bullshit part of the game I experienced.
I then realize how much of a grind and tedious nature this part of the game was.

Ogawa-san

Platinum'd in 4 days?
I got it more than a week ago and put 30 hours in it. Is this game easy to Platinum??
To be fair I
used the save backup trick so I wouldn't have to beat it three times for the endings
, and went through the absolutely minimum of chalice dungeons since they're not fun, otherwise it would've taken considerably longer. Still, my save file is just under 50h, which is less than half of what took me to platinum DS2.

BB's platinum is positively harder, though.

Fhtagn

Platinum'd in 4 days?

Easiest SoulsBorne game to Platinum, because it doesn't require either grinding out an absurd drop rate upgrade material (Demon's) nor does it require getting to half way into NG++ for all boss soul weapons on one character (Dark) nor again halfway into NG++ to buy miracles and pyro you can't otherwise get without winning 500 pvp fights (Dark 2)

But one of the hardest because you have to do the main Chalice Dungeons which include some of the hardest bosses in the series, period.

Good Hunter...

Bloodborne is only my 2nd Platinum - and while I have tried (and failed) to experience similar obsession with Dark Souls 1 and 2 - decided to stop playing them and hold out for DS3 next year...they are both very VERY different experiences to the Hunt that is Bloodborne.

If you have a PS3, try Demon's Souls. It's a bit faster than either Dark game and has a structure more similar to Bloodborne. (The Nexus = The Dream)

BraXzy

God I need to get back into this game. I've got a reasonable way in, and had a real solid grasp of the gameplay. Enjoyed every minute of it. But other stuff came out and I put it to one side and haven't had time to go back yet. Think my list atm as far as backlog is gonna be:

Finish TW3
Finish Bloodborne
Play MGS V
Play Fallout 4

Damn you awesome open world games and my obsession with looking everywhere at everything.

G
ascoigne

I thought it was clever.

Yeah, you get an insight for discovering a boss, but a lot of people didn't really notice the insight counter go up, then died to the boss and returned to Hunter's Dream to buy stuff or whatever and then talked to the Doll and found out you level up with her.

Nice. You made it look easy. My only suggestion would be to use more R1 L1 combos. They're pretty powerful. It took me about 10 agonizing tries to beat him. I began to despair that I never would. Especially painful was reading the "I beat him on my first try!" posts.

But then, shockingly, I became one of those people when I beat Father G on my first try! I couldnt believe it and basically sat there with my jaw hanging open. Felt good.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
First game where I ever got platinum. GOTY hands down.
DLC can't come soon enough.

On a different note, I've made a point to spare Cleric Beast in my 2nd, 3rd and 4th playthroughs. The MP shenanigans in area 1 are just too great to pass up.

Withnail

You did good OP. But you're just getting started.

I suggest you practice using the gun to parry. It will help you a lot with the next boss.

Now go and enjoy a masterpiece.

i loved this game the first time round but the fact i couldnt soul vessel/respec killed it the second time round for me.

Plus they stopped the pebble glitch so there is no way im starting a new character from scratch to build up.

I still think the DLC in the souls games is handled so poorly. By the time the DLC comes out, people have most likely finished the game and so the DLC is on NG+ which just makes it so hard to attempt. I really wish i could reload a save before i finished the game and then tackle the DLC from there like how it is done in Mass Effect.

I like how soulsborne does dlc, it feels jointed instead of a separate entity like most other games where I have to go from the main menu, it can be abit more convoluted but I prefer the experience.

Also I've already got 2 charc ready incase NG+ is pushing me.

farisr

I want to finish this game so badly but it's just not a relaxing game to return to.
Sigh.

That's actually the reason why I'm never going to be playing the game again or picking up the DLC, despite loving my time with it enough to platinum it (the 2nd game I've ever done that with).

pixxxelz

I must the only one that actually enjoyed the chalice dungeons, the way coop works is bs though. Also welcome to the hunt op.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finished it last weekend. Finally, after being stuck at Nightmare of Mensis for the longest of times. Began my NG+ but am now stuck at Amalia who kicks my ass (mostly because I'm playing too sloopy). I'm almost tempted at starting from scratch. Still need two more endings for the platinum. Which I intend to get. The expansion in two weeks time is most welcome.

Finished it last weekend. Finally, after being stuck at Nightmare of Mensis for the longest of times. Began my NG+ but am now stuck at Amalia who kicks my ass (mostly because I'm playing too sloopy). I'm almost tempted at starting from scratch. Still need two more endings for the platinum. Which I intend to get. The expansion in two weeks time is most welcome.

That's where i got stuck in NG+. I finished the game then got completely stuck on Amelia. I get her to about 1/4 health and keep dying. She regenerates a lot faster in NG+ and i know what to do but i just cant do it.

i was doing fine until then but the bosses really dont mess around in NG+.

Yep but soon you'll yearn for the days when the series' strange mechanics and flow were mysterious. There's nothing better than playing a Souls game for the first time and trying to figure out wtf is going on. The only similar feeling I've ever gotten from a game was Everquest. When it first came out it was so unintuitive in every sense of the word. But there was a real joy of discovery and enlightenment that came with starting out utterly lost and finding your way.

Absolutely agree, especially when it comes to the parallels between Souls and EverQuest. I really wish more games could capture that feeling.

Top Bottom