• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: BloodBorne

Greddleok

I really need to give Bloodborne another play through before GOTY voting. It's been a long time. Thankfully the DLC will give me a good reason to play again!

Purchased the game on amazon this past Sunday since the price dropped to about 26.00$ after being harassed by a fellow gaffer
JimmyFenix
to try BloodBorne and to experience this masterpiece from Lord Miyazaki. I was skeptical about trying this game due to the infamous difficulty (Lol coming from a SF player) here's my experience so far:

Spent about 3 hours trying to get to the Cleric beast luckily I was streaming and some fellow gaffers (Rajang and JayEH) helped me along the way explaining the leveling up mechanics the whole 9 yards, at times when I died I wasn't salty but rather amused that the reason I died was because of my own stupidity instead of some cheap gimmick.

Anyway, I made it to the Beast got bodied about 10 times I laughed each time. I had enough and decided to grind it out for an Hr, in the process I leveled up, got the latest gear and stocked up. This is the result:

http://youtu.be/HdZTO_KTxiA

#Believe

Good to hear you got the right attitude. A lot of people complain the game is difficult or harsh but you can almost always link the death to some mistake you made. Glad to hear your enjoying the game op.

ooteeni

I've played all the souls games and never completed them, always felt like work towards the end of the game.

Though I completed and loved every minute of Bloodborne.

I have no idea why that is.

score01

I'm LTTP the same as you op. First souls game and loving it even though I suck. Well, im fine outside of the boss fights. I'm up to the third boss and almost had him yesterday. The second boss has been the hardest so far. Made me quit for a few days but the thirst for blood returned...

Maengun1

I've played all the souls games and never completed them, always felt like work towards the end of the game.

Though I completed and loved every minute of Bloodborne.

I have no idea why that is.

Interesting that you say that. I've never played any of the Souls series, but I rented Bloodborne when it released and spent a weekend with it and "felt like work" is kinda how I'd describe it. I never made it out of the first area, played through it I think 4 or 5 times. I only made it to the first boss once (where I died almost immediately), every other time I died somewhat close to the boss area.

I found it....frustrating. I totally get how some people get super into it, the trial and error of dying and figuring out exactly what went wrong, adjusting, getting further the next time, etc. For me personally, I just got tired of repeating everything after 2 days with it. I've been thinking of going back and giving it another shot recently, because I hate the feeling of "missing out" on a game that's so beloved (and I love the setting/horror in general), but I honestly think it's just not for me.

I know, I know, "git gud" or whatever.

Rephil

i could talk all day about this game! its insane how much love was put into this world! the brilliant music, the fantastic design, graphics, the voice-actors, the story, action, fights, gameplay oh man the gameplay, the mystery, tension, fear, all the little details, everything is just perfect. and i'm extremely lttp myself.

i never played a souls game (the only game remotely similar would be nightmare creatures back in the day), and the beginning is f*ing hard, but after that, theres just no stopping this madness! i just love it!
..on a side note: the collectors guide from future-press is extremely well done and helpful. it adds a lot to the experience itself! if you have nobody to help you like in OPs case, its absolutely ok to use something like this in a game like this! i would've missed a lot of interesting and fascinating details.

bloodborne is my personal game of, well, a long long time!

"What's that smell? The sweet blood, oh, it sings to me. It's enough to make a man sick"

maxresdefault.jpg

GeNoMe

I'd like to share a video with you guys who are either confused or interested about the lore in Bloodborne. It helped me a lot in understanding the story.

Bloodborne explained
Beware of spoilers obviously!

It made me love BB even more!!

The best game released this year.

The best game released this generation.

One of the best games ever made.

It's going to be $20 at Target on Black Friday. Buy it.

NEO0MJ

While I'm not playing it right now my friend is and he just beat
Shadows of Yharnam
on his own, I'm so proud :')
Of course he was kinda overleveled at 47 but whatever.

The guy has barely touched video games for years so I was wondering how far he'd reach before dropping it, good thing he didn't. Just had to deal with the issue of getting used to the game like any soul beginner.

Chola

Banned
This, MGS V and witcher 3 are on my top three list.

After 25 hrs, witcher is kind of losing its steam, hope it gets better.

Witcher 3 open world is incredible but the story and combat is not keeping me engaged like it did few hours ago.

Currently

1. MGS5
2. Bloodbone
3, Witcher 3

Berrigal

Neo Member
So I'm playing BB for the first time right now; is the Cleric Beast missable? Or am I just progressing really slowly, because I beat
Father Gascione
quite a while ago?

NEO0MJ

So I'm playing BB for the first time right now; is the Cleric Beast missable? Or am I just progressing really slowly, because I beat
Father Gascione
quite a while ago?

Nope, not missable, but some might forget to take the turn that leads you to it. To find it, just go to that unlit house near the bridge and after going up go left.

Father Gascione
quite a while ago?

Cleric beast is optional, you could miss it if you didn't completely explore the Central Yharnam area.

easily the best game this gen. I recently started playing it again and discovered more places that have added more time and enemies. GOTY.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
That feeling, tho, when the boss has only one pixel of health left, and you get greedy and get yourself killed.

WSmpayC.gif

This is so true. Why oh why can't I restraint myself? Controller meet wall, wall meet controller. And my neighbours definitely have heard me "enjoy" this game. A lot.

Khayam

Banned
Interesting that you say that. I've never played any of the Souls series, but I rented Bloodborne when it released and spent a weekend with it and "felt like work" is kinda how I'd describe it. I never made it out of the first area, played through it I think 4 or 5 times. I only made it to the first boss once (where I died almost immediately), every other time I died somewhat close to the boss area.

I found it....frustrating. I totally get how some people get super into it, the trial and error of dying and figuring out exactly what went wrong, adjusting, getting further the next time, etc. For me personally, I just got tired of repeating everything after 2 days with it. I've been thinking of going back and giving it another shot recently, because I hate the feeling of "missing out" on a game that's so beloved (and I love the setting/horror in general), but I honestly think it's just not for me.

Of course it'll feel like work the first time. Say you decide to learn he piano. Well, the first few practice sessions are gonna feel like work because you're not yet able to play anything smoothly. Once you have just enough mastery of it, you can start having fun by just letting the fingers do their thing and enjoying the ride.

It's the same with Bloodborne. That first area trains you. If you're not able to kill Cleric Beast, it means you're still in training and don't have enough mastery. Not to mention if you're unable to clear the ennemies all the way to Cleric Beast.

So yeah, insist just a little bit, you're gonna be so happy you did and the skills you'll acquire will transfer to Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne 2 and whatever, so it's a long term investment !

What weapon did you pick ? And maybe record yourself playing and share it in here, I'm sure you'll get some good advice that may unlock your progression.

Berrigal

Neo Member
So I just beat
Blood Starved Beast
, but I missed Cleric Beast. Should I go try and find Cleric now? Or just keep progressing and come back later?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.

When you get to the first boss, you can start leveling up your character in the hub area. Recommend getting the game again and trying again. I think it'll click at some point when you have a bit stronger character.

So I just beat
Blood Starved Beast
, but I missed Cleric Beast. Should I go try and find Cleric now? Or just keep progressing and come back later?

Cleric beast is one of the easiest bosses so just go find it and slaughter that prey!

silva1991

So I just beat
Blood Starved Beast

Go now..............................or go to it at the end of the playthrough and kill it in 10 seconds :p.

but srsly if you want it to be bit challenging go fight it now.

Cyborg

Finished it last weekend. Finally, after being stuck at Nightmare of Mensis for the longest of times. Began my NG+ but am now stuck at Amalia who kicks my ass (mostly because I'm playing too sloopy). I'm almost tempted at starting from scratch. Still need two more endings for the platinum. Which I intend to get. The expansion in two weeks time is most welcome.

I must say I cheesed out the endings. Right before the end boss I copied my savefile and used it three times.I loved the game but didnt find it worth to finish the game 3 more times.

Ive started NG+ and now waiting for DLC

Ferr986

It was for me the easiest platinum in the Dark Souls series.

That's probably because there isn't as much grinding as the Dark Souls platinums.

There's big shortcuts on all areas that let you go straight to the boss in less than a minute (especially if you evade enemies).

silva1991

It was for me the easiest platinum in the Dark Souls series.

I mean sure DaS1 is harder overall, but the defiled dungeon is a requirement to get the platinum trophy and it's hardest than any trophy requirement in DaS1.

but that's just me. that being said I think the only thing for me that was harder to get than going through defiled dungeon is the friend's ring in Demon souls.

killing black phantoms to get the friend's ring was not fun :(

Asd202

My GOTY also OP learn to use your gun it's very helpful.

I'd like to share a video with you guys who are either confused or interested about the lore in Bloodborne. It helped me a lot in understanding the story.

Bloodborne explained

Yeah at first I thought BB wouldn't have as deep lore as DS. I was wrong, so very wrong this game has so much crazy amazing stuff.

Funnily, I just started playing this again last night as it's my GOTY so far and I still haven't finished it (having children seriously affects your time to play games).

It can be a harsh mistress, though. Two hours last night and 50,000 blood echoes lost in two seconds to a stupid mistake in
the forbidden woods
. Evening wasted. But I'm still looking forward to going back tonight!

Endo Punk

Consider skipping the Chalice Dungeons. They are easily the weakest parts of the game with their copypaste design, even if they have the hardest bosses in the game residing in them.

nah. gameplay is so rewarding and you get a lot of unique enemies and items in the dungeons.

nib95

Banned
I really need to beat the game again. What a truly spectacular experience it was. It's almost faultless really.

Need to be in the GOTY talks

Currently doing a replay of this and its even better the second time

Now that I know my way around I have the freedom to play around with so many things with confidence

AND HOLY SHIT

Threaded Cane might be the best weapon in the game. GAWD I wish I recorded my darkbeast kill with it

Absolutely insane weapon when you figure it out

Consider skipping the Chalice Dungeons. They are easily the weakest parts of the game with their copypaste design, even if they have the hardest bosses in the game residing in them.

You are nuts!

Its trraditional dungeon crawling at its finest.

Im addicted to them and its an excellent way to hone your skills and beef up your character really fast early in the game

DMTripper

Pretty much the only thing I regret about selling my PS4. I got the plat for this game and it's definitely my GOTY so far. Now playing fallout, so it's gonna be between those two.

I would definitely play the chalice dungeons as the extra bosses are excellent. Also Ludwigs quality build for life :-D

I really need to beat the game again. What a truly spectacular experience it was. It's almost faultless really.

oh man one of the last two bosses is the final cherry on top. You need to experience that fight its one, if not the best boss battles in the game

The game isnt hard. Souls fans should stop scaring people away with that.

It's pretty hard compared to most other major releases. I'm not even a 'Souls fan' so i'm not being elitist or anything, but I thought it was pretty difficult, at least initially. Took me at least 4 hours to reach the Cleric beast.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Bloodborne explained

Wow. Holy shit. With everything explained, the story is that much better. In an odd way, it's so dark that it depresses me.

Fucking hell yes. Great lore.

The game isnt hard. Souls fans should stop scaring people away with that.

To be fair though, Bamco for some reason liked to use that for marketing purposes a lot (especially with DS2 I believe?). I'm not sure if it's that much on the Souls players. And although it's not as extreme as a lot of people think, it is quite challenging especially for first time players of this particular series of games. You do really need to adjust and get the hang of it, which is something that can take a few hours as ya can see with OP.

Makes me even MORE pumped for Dark Souls 3

Since it looks like a bunch of iterations and improvements made across the board are crossing over

I fucking love From Software

Top Bottom