• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Ninjimbo

It's one of the tougher areas in terms of sheer amount of enemies. You can lure the knights after the Smelter Demon in the large room underneath the Belfry into all sorts of traps which might help your cause a bit. There is a third bonfire afterwards which might be an incentive.

Have you done any of the other 3 Primal Bonfires yet? If you're planning on doing the DLC, then lighting the four bonfires is probably the half way point of the game (maybe even slightly less). There is a long way to go, but i'd encourage you to keep going as there are some great bits waiting ahead. You could try summoning someone to help you clear out the knights.
I think I've only lit two of the primals. Do they show up on the map inside the mansion in Majula? If not, then I can only recall the bonfire I lit after defeating the Sinner.

I haven't tried summoning anyone yet outside of the regular phantoms you encounter when you're human. It's worked fine up until this point of course. I guess it's worth a shot if I continue to be stuck in the Iron Keep.

Although, I did unlock a path into Belfry Sol using a Pharros Lockstone in the Iron Keep. I don't want to head into that direction yet because I feel like the Iron Keep is almost done if I can just get past this dumb area. But I don't know.

I think I've only lit two of the primals. Do they show up on the map inside the mansion in Majula? If not, then I can only recall the bonfire I lit after defeating the Sinner.

I haven't tried summoning anyone yet outside of the regular phantoms you encounter when you're human. It's worked fine up until this point of course. I guess it's worth a shot if I continue to be stuck in the Iron Keep.

Although, I did unlock a path into Belfry Sol using a Pharros Lockstone in the Iron Keep. I don't want to head into that direction yet because I feel like the Iron Keep is almost done if I can just get past this dumb area. But I don't know.

Lost Sinner is usually the first Primal Guardian players defeat yeah. Belfry Sol is mostly a covenant/PVP area, it loops back around so it's worth going through once to get the treasures.

quabba

Have you spoken with Licia of Lindelt? You meet her in the Heide's Tower of Flame. She will open up the route to a new area from Majula once you have done certain things.

There's also the option of unpetrifying a statue near Majula which opens another route.

Finally you can jump down the pit in Majula if you have a way to survive the descent.

Oh ok I have spoken to her at Bastille and then at no man's wharf, I summoned her for flexile sentry but havnt seen her since.

I did UN petrify a woman and got through to the foggy woods but couldn't figure that area, and I got the cat ring to go down the hole but I havnt been able to survive the whole way down just yet.

Hikami

Man, all that Bell Keeper covenant farming I did yesterday actually warmed me up to PvP. Ended up having fun (when I wasn't being ganged on by 2+ people anyways).

I had like 0 interest in PvP in the first Dark Souls, but now I actually want to try some builds against other players for this game.

Oh ok I have spoken to her at Bastille and then at no man's wharf, I summoned her for flexile sentry but havnt seen her since.

I did UN petrify a woman and got through to the foggy woods but couldn't figure that area, and I got the cat ring to go down the hole but I havnt been able to survive the whole way down just yet.

You're talking about Lucatiel. Licia of Lindelt is that npc that appears after you defeat the Dragonrider in Heide's Tower of Flame. You can find her again if you go back to Majula and go again to the path you took to reach Heide's Tower. She will sell some miracles, a ring and other stuff that you have to try to reach a new area.

quabba

You're talking about Lucatiel. Licia of Lindelt is that npc that appears after you defeat the Dragonrider in Heide's Tower of Flame. You can find her again if you go back to Majula and go again to the path you took to reach Heide's Tower. She will sell some miracles, a ring and other stuff that you have to try to reach a new area.

Ohhh right her yes. I'll go find her again then. Thanks

Hikami

Finished my first DLC area (Ivory King). Best area in the game yet.

First off, I love snow/ice levels so I was already in love with how the place looked. This area felt a lot like DS1 ,which was a good thing. Lots of shortcuts, non-linear and dense level design, having to do certain things before taking on bosses - just had a lot of fun here.

Soloed the tiger guy, already forgot his name.. Pretty easy fight, when he was finally visable.. Summoned 3 NPCs for the black tiger bosses. That fight was fun, felt like a monster hunter battle with all the NPCs there. Shame that they re-used a boss though..

Finally, Ivory king.. when I first entered the boss chamber I thought I had to fight that Knight.. entered and nope.. holy shit that drop actually gave me vertigo and that never happens. A bit into the fight, I was getting overwhelmed so I just left and figured I had to get more of those knights somehow. Freed the other 3, summoned a couple of players, and took on the boss. It was so cool having an army on your side for once. (The knights and your summons) The actual boss was eh.. nothing really stood out. Just another humanoid sword wielder.

The reward I got by trading in his soul though.. what an awesome weapon. Shame the durability is gone after a few hits.. Did get an ice rapier drop too though which is amazing. Tried it in PvP and the R2 always killed my opponent.

Uh wow, had a lot more to say than I thought. That should tell you how much I loved this area though. Now which DLC to take on next..

Maridia

Finished my first DLC area (Ivory King). Best area in the game yet.

First off, I love snow/ice levels so I was already in love with how the place looked. This area felt a lot like DS1 ,which was a good thing. Lots of shortcuts, non-linear and dense level design, having to do certain things before taking on bosses - just had a lot of fun here.

Soloed the tiger guy, already forgot his name.. Pretty easy fight, when he was finally visable.. Summoned 3 NPCs for the black tiger bosses. That fight was fun, felt like a monster hunter battle with all the NPCs there. Shame that they re-used a boss though..

Finally, Ivory king.. when I first entered the boss chamber I thought I had to fight that Knight.. entered and nope.. holy shit that drop actually gave me vertigo and that never happens. A bit into the fight, I was getting overwhelmed so I just left and figured I had to get more of those knights somehow. Freed the other 3, summoned a couple of players, and took on the boss. It was so cool having an army on your side for once. (The knights and your summons) The actual boss was eh.. nothing really stood out. Just another humanoid sword wielder.

The reward I got by trading in his soul though.. what an awesome weapon. Actually scales with Dex too which is my main stat. Shame the durability is gone after a few hits.. Did get an ice rapier drop too though which is amazing. Tried it in PvP and the R2 always killed my opponent.

Uh wow, had a lot more to say than I thought. That should tell you how much I loved this area though. Now which DLC to take on next..

Either one will work. You've already done the one I would recommend doing last; I love the Burnt Ivory King battle, and felt like it was a great final battle for the game. Sunken King is less incredibly difficult than Iron King, for what it's worth.

Hikami

Either one will work. You've already done the one I would recommend doing last; I love the Burnt Ivory King battle, and felt like it was a great final battle for the game. Sunken King is less incredibly difficult than Iron King, for what it's worth.
Ah well, only did Ivory King first since I was told it was the easiest. Will do Sunken King next in that case.

Hikami

Sunken King done, first two boss fights were pretty cool. Area was shorter than I thought.

Then I went to take on the
"gank squad"
.. Who thought this was a good idea?

I went in with the NPC summons first and they died before one of them even went down. "Hahaha.. I'm killing all of you myself." So I did.. After like 10 tries. First boss fight where I've failed more than 3 times. It was frustrating but I still liked it. Actually got me to try out different strategies.

Now on to the last dlc.

Alright, some major progression today:

Beat Velstadt (but in Co-Op because I hate that boss).
I got his armor, it looks great and has great stats. I think I will use this as my armor now

I got Lucatiel and Bernhart's equip (and both trophies)

I did Navlaan's Quest

I beat Throne Defender & Throne Watcher (fuck why did Nashandra had to show up right afterwards). It was really hard saving those souls and get the hell out of there.
There's really a lot of stuff I want to do first before beating her. So much stuff to do right now.
Looking foreward to beat the DLCs this time around. And my char is already at a much higher soul level then my previous one with wich I beat the game and already started the DLCs.

I want to get the Tseldora Armor. Any tips on the easiest way to get it?

Frodo

Ended up buying this, since it is on sale on the American PS Store.

Started playing it again, and I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would.
Community is still super active, which is great. Haven't had any problems with summons so far. :D

Anything I should know about SOTFS? I've played DS2 on the PS3 already, so everything so far (except a few enemy placements and mobs) has been very familiar.

Is Soul Memory still a thing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anything I should know about SOTFS? I've played DS2 on the PS3 already, so everything so far (except a few enemy placements and mobs) has been very familiar.

Is Soul Memory still a thing?
Nothing to "know" if you've already played vanilla. Expect a few cool surprises along the way. :) I guess you should know that the
Ancient Dragon
and the
Frigid Outskirts
got nerfed, haha. Way easier now.

Soul Memory is still a thing, but honestly, while I don't care for it, I can't say that it's really been such a big issue either. It's been completely blown out of proportions IMO.

Frodo

Nothing to "know" if you've already played vanilla. Expect a few cool surprises along the way. :) I guess you should know that the
Ancient Dragon
and the
Frigid Outskirts
got nerfed, haha. Way easier now.

Soul Memory is still a thing, but honestly, while I don't care for it, I can't say that it's really been such a big issue either. It's been completely blown out of proportions IMO.

Ha! I've heard about the
Ancient Dragon
! Good riddance! It was a pain and it was completely unfair. I had to "cheese it" (stay in between the toes) because I couldn't stand that fight. :D

I'm going to try to kill the
Ancient Dragon
this time around. Hope it's not to difficult. But I'm stuck right now with another dragon:
Sinh

Frodo

I'm going to try to kill the
Ancient Dragon
this time around. Hope it's not to difficult. But I'm stuck right now with another dragon:
Sinh

Good luck! As long as it doesn't have that 1hKO move it did before it should be a fun (although disorientating) fight.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah ok so Im gonna try to start playing this because I didnt get far at all and have tons of games to play.

But im always down for some Dank Souls

Im in the forest of the giants now or whatever that place is called. Keep getting killed by the goddamn turtle guy down at the bottom lol

Im such a noob but this game seems way harder than Demon/Dark/Bloodborne

Just bought this because of the PSN sale. I'm curious to see how it stacks up to Bloodborne and Dark Souls up through Anor Londo (as far as I made it before my PS3 died)

Hikami

Last DLC done! (Old Iron King)

Pretty fun area.
Smelter Demon
again though.. really? At least the stuff you can get for trading in his soul looks nice.

Beat Fume Knight and Sir Alonne both on my second tries, loved those fights.

Fume Knight had my heart pumping since I had to constantly watch both of his hands for different attacks and repeatedly dodge. Didn't help that I was out of wedges and had one idol that could still heal him, so I had to seclude him in one small area away from it.
Sir Alonne was great, getting to him sucked though. Just ended up running through everything the second time. I loved how he intentionally delayed his attacks so he could punish you if you dodged too early.

Sunken King was pretty meh but, the other 2 DLC areas were amazing compared to the main game's.

Now going to respec to either a faith/str or faith/dex build since miracles are the only thing I haven't tried yet and go into NG+.

Hollycat

Is the general consensus that most of the bosses and areas in this game are easier than Dark Souls? Cause I just beat
Vendrick
, and I didn't even come close to dying against most of the bosses (And the 4 that did kill me were somehow easier without summons???)
It feels weird since in Dark Souls I never even managed to make it past Spider lady, and had major trouble with the gargoyles.

Still, me and my butcher's knife are having fun.

I'm about to start the DLC and then I'll tackle the final area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You must have gotten gud, because spider lady and the Gargoyles are just easy, if not more, than the typical DS2 boss.

Also, the DLCs have the hardest bosses by far. :)

Last DLC done! (Old Iron King)

Pretty fun area.
Smelter Demon
again though.. really? At least the stuff you can get for trading in his soul looks nice.

Beat Fume Knight and Sir Alonne both on my second tries, loved those fights.

Fume Knight had my heart pumping since I had to constantly watch both of his hands for different attacks and repeatedly dodge. Didn't help that I was out of wedges and had one idol that could still heal him, so I had to seclude him in one small area away from it.
Sir Alonne was great, getting to him sucked though. Just ended up running through everything the second time. I loved how he intentionally delayed his attacks so he could punish you if you dodged too early.

Sunken King was pretty meh but, the other 2 DLC areas were amazing compared to the main game's.

Now going to respec to either a faith/str or faith/dex build since miracles are the only thing I haven't tried yet and go into NG+.

I played Sunken King and Old Iron King the last two days. I didn't finish them but I found all bonfires and probably did most things besides the bosses. Yep a lot of bosses to do.

I found sunken king to be the better one. I loved it. Gave me really the gold old Souls experience. Don't get me wrong, the Old Iron King is also very good but for me Sunken King was better.

What's this soul memory thing?

The total accumulation of all your souls that you have collected so far. This is displayed in the top right of your Player Status screen.

It is used for matchmaking purposes, where players within a certain Soul Memory range of each other can be paired.

There is also a ring that absorbs your souls wich can be used to keep your Soul Memory low.

Jindrael

Banned
Playing through the game the first time with SotfS but have played through DS2 6+ times already.

First time tackeling the DLC's aswell, yesterday started Sunken King, currently at level ~60 but since I'm also doing a Champions playthrough I'm getting destroyed by the area.
Took me a long time to get a foothold in the area but I'm finally making good probress after getting used to the enemies and area. :D

So far I REALLY like the DLC area, great setting and level design!

Playing through the game the first time with SotfS but have played through DS2 6+ times already.

First time tackeling the DLC's aswell, yesterday started Sunken King, currently at level ~60 but since I'm also doing a Champions playthrough I'm getting destroyed by the area.
Took me a long time to get a foothold in the area but I'm finally making good probress after getting used to the enemies and area. :D

So far I REALLY like the DLC area, great setting and level design!

You entered the DLC with level 60? Shiiiiiiiet. I was at about 170 when doing so.

Jindrael

Banned
You entered the DLC with level 60? Shiiiiiiiet. I was at about 170 when doing so.

I already did a few challenge runs in the vanilla DS2 so I'm not that new to being underleveled :D

I would guess without also being in the Champions Covenant lvl ~60 would have been a good time to do the DLC for me but with Champions it's really tough so far!

Hikami

Well.. not liking this faith build so far. Great lightning/Sunlight spears seem pretty weak compared to other magic. Denial and Sunlight Blade are cool I guess.
Might just re-spec again though. Thankfully still have several soul vessels.

theaface

Well.. not liking this faith build so far. Great lightning/Sunlight spears seem pretty weak compared to other magic. Denial and Sunlight Blade are cool I guess.
Might just re-spec again though. Thankfully still have several soul vessels.

Red Iron Twinblade, lightning-infused and coupled with Sunlight Blade is a VERY potent combination, if you fancy giving that a (literal) whirl.

Hikami

Red Iron Twinblade, lightning-infused and coupled with Sunlight Blade is a VERY potent combination, if you fancy giving that a (literal) whirl.
Interesting, I think I have that weapon. Might give that a try then.
edit; didn't have high enough str to wield it

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I already did a few challenge runs in the vanilla DS2 so I'm not that new to being underleveled :D

I would guess without also being in the Champions Covenant lvl ~60 would have been a good time to do the DLC for me but with Champions it's really tough so far!
Yeah the DLC is brutal against Champions. Good luck!

Incidentally that was my exact setup on my faith character, and he's my Champion too. Works pretty well.

Really liking this game so far. I keep having to readjust from so much Bloodborne though, I run out of stamina so fast now lolz. I still think it's harder though aside from. Forest of Fallen Giants is littered with traps, ambushes, and generally all sorts of things designed to fuck you over at any point.

Weirdly though the first boss I faught, last giant, was probably the easiest Souls boss I've ever fought. I tried fighting the Pursuer but I think I need better stats/equipment for that fight.

There are so many paths to explore in this compared to BB, it's kind of overwhelming haha. I only have one bonfire in this place so far too, crazy.

Hikami

..and done.

9e9a56612a.png

I can see why this game gets a lot of hate, it's way overblown though. Game was a lot of fun in the end.

Will probably pick up Bloodborne this weekend.

Maddrical

..and done.

Damn dude you smashed through that DLC! Congrats. I've played a LOT of Souls/BB and I'm pretty stuck on 3 of the DLC bosses, I've put the game down for over a week now because I just haven't been able to progress. The DLC bosses are so much harder than the regular game.

Hikami

Damn dude you smashed through that DLC! Congrats. I've played a LOT of Souls/BB and I'm pretty stuck on 3 of the DLC bosses, I've put the game down for over a week now because I just haven't been able to progress. The DLC bosses are so much harder than the regular game.
Thanks! Yeah the DLC bosses were pretty tough, really fun though once you've got a strategy down. Rapiers are just broken I think. So much counter damage against bosses with the right rings equipped.

Maddrical

Thanks! Yeah the DLC bosses were pretty tough, really fun though once you've got a strategy down. Rapiers are just broken I think. So much counter damage against bosses with the right rings equipped.

What's your build?

I struggled a LOT with Aava & Fume Knight, but because bonfires were close by it didn't take too much to get back to them. But right now I'm stuck on Sir Alonne, the Frigid Outskirts area (haven't even reached the boss!!) and the upgraded Smelter Demon. All 3 have bonfires really far away and I haven't really gotten close to killing any of them, the Smelter Demon I got to about 30% but since then he's wrecked me. Sir Alonne is destroying me.

Ninjimbo

Been playing a bit over the last few days. I got passed the Iron Keep, beat the big ass boss and lit the primal bonfire. It felt good to get out of there. I'm in the Shaded Woods now and liking it a lot. There's a good sense of dread crafted in this area but it's not overrun with crazy mobs either. All the eeriness is coming from the ambiance with the fog and creepy sounds. It keeps me on my toes and I'm not feeling screwed over like I was in the Iron Keep.

I think I've encountered my first magical moment in a Souls game too. Surprisingly, it didn't come from any sort of combat trial. It actually came from talking to an NPC I just happened to discover: the head of Velstadt. What an interesting guy! Forget the fact that he's a disembodied head that happens to talk, it's everything he talks about that really drew me in. Listening to him reflect upon his life and how he had no choice but to fight for the whole of it because he knew nothing else stirred something in me. When he talks about how he has some sort of relief despite not having his body anymore, I had to smile. I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's because whatever he's describing is what I'm feeling as a player that has seen and faced some serious stuff.

Props to the VA and for the designers for capturing the weariness of a character like Velstadt. In just a few lines of dialogue he managed to move me more than some 5 minute cutscene in whatever flavor of the month AAA game.

Even though Drangleic might be the most depressing place in the history of videogames, I gotta say, the lore is sort of beautiful.

Hikami

What's your build?
Usually use some rapier among the 4 I have, depends on the area. Rings were mostly Cloranthy +1, Ring of Blades +1, Old leo ring, and 4th ring changed depending on boss.

Stat wise, just had a bunch of dex, vigor, endurance, and enough adaptability/attunement to get 105 agility for better dodging.

Recorded every boss fight I did (besides the first one) if you're curious though. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84ZCt5t_CxvXWMaB6AqpezxCf-MUraHv

Just picked this up during the Anniversary sale, couldn't pass up $25 since I never played the DLC. Just started and it looks gorgeous on PS4. Been a while since I played it and got my ass handed to me almost immediately. May try a new build this time, I usually go for the BK Halberd. Whats the go to weapon now a days??

Manu

I really admire those who went for the platinum in this game.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to get every weapon and magic or a no death/bonfire run. Just insane.

Keinu

I really admire those who went for the platinum in this game.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to get every weapon and magic or a no death/bonfire run. Just insane.

You don't need every weapon or a no death/bonfire run to platinum this game. The only really hard part is getting all magics. Not too hard though, just takes a bit of time/patience.

Usually use some rapier among the 4 I have, depends on the area. Rings were mostly Cloranthy +1, Ring of Blades +1, Old leo ring, and 4th ring changed depending on boss.

Stat wise, just had a bunch of dex, vigor, endurance, and enough adaptability/attunement to get 105 agility for better dodging.

I'm sort of similar, but doing a quality build with 40/40 strength and dex and power stancing a rapier and estoc. Will switch out the rapier when I can buy the Espada Ropera. It's a lot of fun.

CO0lU2hWUAAX7yx.jpg

Hikami

I'm sort of similar, but doing a quality build with 40/40 strength and dex and power stancing a rapier and estoc. Will switch out the rapier when I can buy the Espada Ropera. It's a lot of fun.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO0lU2hWUAAX7yx.jpg
Nice, I started out power stancing rapiers at first but they took so much stamina per attack and the attacks came out pretty slow so I just found it better to two-hand one.
Wish I had remembered to try power stancing again once I had more points into endurance though.

Yeah, I'm addicted to the R2 double sword stab power stancing with a rapier in your left hand gives you. I love using it on bosses, it seems really powerful even if it drains your stamina fast.

Top Bottom