• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Still can't get my save file recovered. My save file shows it was last used on 8/12, which means the file wasn't rolled back to some prior save. All of the achievements I earned still show on steam even though I lost the progress. I do not understand this at all.

Is there some issue with losing connection to the servers that can do this?

Neiteio

Big haul tonight:

- Royal Rat Vanguard
- The Rotten
- Scorpioness Najka
- Royal Rat Authority
- Prowling Magus and Congregation
- The Duke's Dear Freja

I one-shot all of them... except for the rats. It took me two tries to figure out what to do in the Vanguard battle, and then in the Authority battle, I made several attempts before realizing NOT to lock-on.

I one-shot both Rotten and Freja. They were very predictable, but they were still great spectacle and a lot of fun. I especially like the design on Rotten, so I uploaded video of him. I know "amalgamation" bosses have been old hat since Legion in Castlevania, but Rotten just looks so neat with the writhing mass of legs carrying it along... and the legs for fingers... and the human heads for eyes... and the cage resembling teeth. It's oddly cute... and a bit sad... how you find it assembling the statues you saw in Black Gulch. Piecing them together like dolls for company... It also reminds me of Adjudicator, one of my favorite bosses in Demon's Souls.

I heard there's an NPC somewhere in the Gutter/Black Gulch, but I don't recall meeting one. Another thing I'm confused about is how I have a regular soul for Freja, and I separately "embraced a great soul" that was just lying on the ground under the dragon's skeleton. What's more, I can't find this soul in my inventory... Anyone know what's up with that?

I love the level design in the Gutter and Brightstone Cove Tseldora. Some of my favorites so far, alongside Iron Keep, Lost Bastille, No-Man's Wharf and Forest of Fallen Giants.

I leveled up the Dex on my Strength build so that I can wield the Chariot Lance. I'll trade the Executioner soul for it tomorrow so I can have a close-quarters poking weapon, one that won't bounce off walls like my club. :)

And just for fun, here's a cool wallpaper-ready screenshot of the boot-up screen. Is that supposed to be this King Vendrick I keep hearing about?

darksoulsii_scholarofcnudq.jpg

Neiteio

What's your reason for not holding the weapon with two hands? Since you don't have a shield you might as well do it to get that extra damage imo. Not criticising though, I'm just curious.
Unless I'm mistaken, two-handing the club swings a bit slower, with a bit more cooldown, no? Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but that's the way it feels, so I single-handed it to make sure I didn't get caught recovering. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It does look weird when you play, but I'm glad that for once, someone just shrugs and just goes "eh, probably skewed perspective or an optical illusion, who cares really" instead of "omg this game is SO STUPID such shitty world design B-team sucks so much bring back Miyazaki blah blah blah" because of that one elevator.

I enjoy the dark bleakness of Bloodborne, it's different but it fits the atmosphere. For me, what made me appreciate DS2 is the sheer amounts of options, from equipment variety to infusions to magic and consumables and so on. The action part is better in Bloodborne, but the RPG aspects are just way better in Dark Souls 2.

It is pretty terrible world design though =3

Neiteio

I dunno... I like it. It's not like DS1 wasn't jarring at times, too, with volcanic ruins right below a swamp and above a lake, etc. Yes, the world of DS1 was truly interconnected, not spokes on a wheel like DS2... but you can still see certain landmarks from other locations in DS2, creating a strong enough sense of place and continuity. In Majula you can see the bridge near Drangleic Castle off in the distance, as well as the battlements of Cardinal Tower down the coastline, and Heide's Tower of Flame in the opposite direction. Also, I was looking at the view of the windmill in Harvest Valley, and I noticed there are two ridges to the mountain behind it. Since you descend the windmill and go into the bedrock behind it to reach Mytha, I think the elevator may be inside the first ridge, and the Iron Keep is sandwiched between the first ridge and the second. The fiery curse on the place would explain the ashy skies over Harvest Valley.

Hypron

Unless I'm mistaken, two-handing the club swings a bit slower, with a bit more cooldown, no? Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but that's the way it feels, so I single-handed it to make sure I didn't get caught recovering. :)

Yeah two handed attacks tend to be a bit slower, fair enough!

I tend to prefer killing enemies in as few hits as possible, because for me the chance of getting hit because of taking a long time to kill a boss is higher than the chance of getting killed out of an attack's recovery time. But I guess that really depends on your own preference.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not really.

Replaying this right now and I'm having a total blast once again. A bunch of "shit where the fuck did you come from?!" moments when I momentarily forgot about enemy re-placement lol.

Totally spanked Smelter Demon, he went down like a scrub. My halberd +10 was OP, maybe? I always farm chunks as a bell sister after all. :) Now I'm rocking the black knight halberd and it's quite the monster. But since the crows finally decided to be generous, I'm tempted to powerstance two channel's tridents for the lulz... xD

Neiteio, cannot wait till you start the DLC. They will crush you :)

I especially like the design on Rotten, I know "amalgamation" bosses have been old hat since Legion in Castlevania, but Rotten just looks so neat with the writhing mass of legs carrying it along... and the legs for fingers... and the human heads for eyes... and the cage resembling teeth. It's oddly cute... and a bit sad... how you find it assembling the statues you saw in Black Gulch. Piecing them together like dolls for company... It also reminds me of Adjudicator, one of my favorite bosses in Demon's Souls.

For me The Rotten is not like Adjudicator but a 1:1 copy of the Dirty Colossus. It even occupies the same damn place - bottom of a poisonous pit.

I heard there's an NPC somewhere in the Gutter/Black Gulch, but I don't recall meeting one.

It's very hard to find and I didn't find her on my NG0 playthrough. You gotta check it up online, mang. You have to drop down basically in the middle of the run from first Black Gulch bonfire to the fog door.

Another thing I'm confused about is how I have a regular soul for Freja, and I separately "embraced a great soul" that was just lying on the ground under the dragon's skeleton. What's more, I can't find this soul in my inventory... Anyone know what's up with that?

There is some theory that the Freja spider is not really a "Great Demon" but a random mundane boss. The petrified dragon is a boss from Dark Souls 1 (?) and you actually get his soul when you beat Freja. You should look up this theory on the web.

I love the level design in the Gutter and Brightstone Cove Tseldora. Some of my favorites so far, alongside Iron Keep, Lost Bastille, No-Man's Wharf and Forest of Fallen Giants.

Uh... Tseldora is PS2 garbage. Worst area in the entire game next to Earthen Peak. Just wait till you start the DLC areas. They are LIGHTYEARS ahead of everything from the base game. Really outstanding level design and those bosses... holy shit. So good.gif

And just for fun, here's a cool wallpaper-ready screenshot of the boot-up screen. Is that supposed to be this King Vendrick I keep hearing about?

darksoulsii_scholarofcnudq.jpg

Lovely wallpaper. I really do not know who is the knight, it might be Vendrick now that you mention him, ha.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have a love-hate relationship with Brightstone Cove Tseldora. On the one hand it's got full of cool little secrets and really rewards exploring every nook and crannies, and all the spider rooms are really fucking creepy (in a good way, but brrrrr). On the other hand, you can't backtrack manually past a certain point, the crystal lizards are the most annoying to get, and the area kinda looks ugly (the only nice view is from where those boulders are thrown, looking down on those crystal spikes) though it's not the ugliest one (Harvest Valley and Shaded Woods win this one).

Neiteio

For me The Rotten is not like Adjudicator but a 1:1 copy of the Dirty Colossus. It even occupies the same damn place - bottom of a poisonous pit.
Thematically, he's similar to Dirty Colossus, but he has the body shape and massive cleaver of Adjudicator.

Either way I get nice Demon's Souls vibes from him. :D

Uh... Tseldora is PS2 garbage. Worst area in the entire game next to Earthen Peak. Just wait till you start the DLC areas. They are LIGHTYEARS ahead of everything from the base game. Really outstanding level design and those bosses... holy shit. So good.gif
Tseldora has lots of multi-level interconnecting buildings in the village portion. I like scouring it for treasure. :)

Renekton

It's underrated. Going from the sorrowful depths of Amana to the proud yet disdainful peak of Dragon's Aerie is something.

There is no pleasing DS1 hardcores anyways. Bloodborne came along with its airtight world connectivity, but many DS1 fans still complained.

I put off Dark Souls 2 for so long because of the mixed reception. I'm about halfway through now and it has been amazing so far. Easily as good as the first. I don't know what gaf was on about.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Not really.

Replaying this right now and I'm having a total blast once again. A bunch of "shit where the fuck did you come from?!" moments when I momentarily forgot about enemy re-placement lol.

Totally spanked Smelter Demon, he went down like a scrub. My halberd +10 was OP, maybe? I always farm chunks as a bell sister after all. :) Now I'm rocking the black knight halberd and it's quite the monster. But since the crows finally decided to be generous, I'm tempted to powerstance two channel's tridents for the lulz... xD

I hate halberds in 2. All the attacks feel so ungainly. I miss the fast overheads from 1. I also dont like what they did to scythes even if scoring multiple hit feels pretty good. The damage is too underwhelming for the finesse the weapon requires.

NEO0MJ

I didn't use any shield or wear any armor when fighting Smelter Demon. I just fought him naked with my club. You move so much faster this way, playing it like Bloodborne. I'm uploading the footage now.

You don
t need to be naked, just under 20% of the wight limit for maximum maneuverability. Though I guess the club is a kinda heavy weapon.

I put off Dark Souls 2 for so long because of the mixed reception. I'm about halfway through now and it has been amazing so far. Easily as good as the first. I don't know what gaf was on about.

B-Team™.

Mandelbo

I actually just got SotFS on PS4 yesterday, since I've been on the fence about buying it for a few months now. So far I'm pleasantly surprised - my thoughts on the enemy placement changes are either "I don't mind this change" or "this change is for the better". The only area I've had problems with so far is No Man's Wharf, which I do feel has gotten a lot meaner. Luckily the extra shortcut means you're able to bypass most of the level once you've gotten through it now, unlike in the original. I'm really liking the new placements of the Syan knights throughout the early areas, since they're usually guarding something useful, like Sublime Bone Dust, so it's always worth challenging them and you get rewarded nicely if you succeed.

The game also really benefits from being locked 60fps - it's especially noticeable coming from the PS3 version where the framerate fluctuated wildly depending on where you were. I can't wait to see the DLC areas in 60fps 1080p considering how gorgeous they were in the original!

This is my character right now:
I'm using a combination of the Shadow Set, Rogue Gauntlets and Alva Leggings. The Shadow Set looks so cool and it's great that it's easier to get this time around (in the original the enemies who dropped it only spawned in NG+ in the middle of the Flexile Sentry fight).

A few points:

Did you go through Belfry Sol when you were in Iron Keep? It's not really a very important area but it looks pretty cool.

Did you figure out where the Iron Key, which you found Iron Keep, leads? The item description gives a hint.

Regarding the NPC in The Gutter, explore along the right edge as you go from the bonfire to the boss area. You will find some ledges you can drop off to.

Also, this NPC can be found from the Shaded Woods as well. You need to find him here too (as well as in a third location) if you want to be able to access the best non-DLC boss of the game.

Did you join the rat bros? Sure, it may be cheesing, but I still found doing that PVP fun. It's also the only way to get infinite Pharros Lockstones, so unless you want to run out of them before you have seen what each contraption does, you have to do some PvP here. To do it, join the covenant, put on the ring and then just wait around in either the Grave of Saints or the optional part of Doors of Pharros.

Tseldora and Shaded Woods were probably my least favourite areas of the game. The last part of Shaded Woods was alright but I hated the area with invisible enemies. While the vertical and complex design of Tseldora was sort of cool, I found it very annoying to navigate. Also, it didn't help that these two are probably the worst-looking levels of the game.

It's cool to see you beat all the bosses by going naked. I think one reason why so many people hate the movement in this game is that they read somewhere that as long as you stayed below 70 % equip load you could avoid the fat roll. But, as you have discovered, there are lots of reasons to keep equip load much lower than that. I kept mine between 30 and 40 % throughout most of the game and was satisfied with the level of mobility that gave me.

Mogwai

The game also really benefits from being locked 60fps - it's especially noticeable coming from the PS3 version where the framerate fluctuated wildly depending on where you were. I can't wait to see the DLC areas in 60fps 1080p considering how gorgeous they were in the original!
Don't expect too much locked 60 fps. Throughout the PS4 version you'll experience countless drops below 60. The Gutter is really bad performance-wise.

But still, it's a whole lot better than the PS3 version.

Mandelbo

Don't expect too much locked 60 fps. Throughout the PS4 version you'll experience countless drops below 60. The Gutter is really bad performance-wise.

That's a shame, but as you say it beats out the PS3 version significantly (as it should!) so I don't think it should faze me too much.

Right now I can either do the Iron Keep or Sinner's Rise - but I think I'm gonna get Iron Keep done first so I can get to Brume Tower quicker. Neiteio, you better not miss the DLC areas!

Jito

Banned

Never listen to GAF, bunch of jaded whiners on here who talk about games more than playing them.

Dark Souls 2 was great, really enjoyed my fists only play through on SOTFS, made my way up to the second DLC and got stuck somewhere. Really need to get back on it.

I have a love-hate relationship with Brightstone Cove Tseldora. On the one hand it's got full of cool little secrets and really rewards exploring every nook and crannies, and all the spider rooms are really fucking creepy (in a good way, but brrrrr). On the other hand, you can't backtrack manually past a certain point, the crystal lizards are the most annoying to get, and the area kinda looks ugly (the only nice view is from where those boulders are thrown, looking down on those crystal spikes) though it's not the ugliest one (Harvest Valley and Shaded Woods win this one).

After running that area a few times with bonfire ascetics I absolutely hate it. The second bonfire in one of those houses has to be the worst bonfire placement of all time. Like 15 spiders and 3 red phantom spiders. Completely fucking stupid.

You should have just tried it out yourself. It's not bad as much as it is disappointing. Finish the game before you come to a conclusion. I went in blind and didn't even check out the OTs when it came out. Gave up about 80% in when I gave up then completed it recently with SotFS. I still think it's the worst game in the series and found it infuriating at times. The brand of challenge this game adopts isn't subtle and I often found it tedious.

Gbraga

I actually enjoy most of Tseldora, the design, enemies, lore, I love how you can do some jumps and drops and skip most of it, the only thing I really really hate about it is the spider room right before climbing a stair and getting to the last room before the boss fight. It's pretty bad, and it's even worse in Scholar.

It's not that hard if you take the time to fight them all, but I always love that you don't have to do this in Souls games, so the areas that go against that philosphy are generally the ones I dislike the most. They even patched Lost Izalith to make it more rush friendly in Dark Souls, right? Nerfing the dragon asses and their aggro range.

It's not that bad for your first playthrough, when you kill everything anyway (or at least I do), but for conscutive playthroughs and speedruns, it can get annoying as hell.

This is my character right now:

I'm using a combination of the Shadow Set, Rogue Gauntlets and Alva Leggings. The Shadow Set looks so cool and it's great that it's easier to get this time around (in the original the enemies who dropped it only spawned in NG+ in the middle of the Flexile Sentry fight).

I don't think I've ever seen this helm. I love this game's variety so much. Best Fashion Souls in the Soulsborne series.

Never listen to GAF, bunch of jaded whiners on here who talk about games more than playing them.

I never got this insult. Most people post from work here, you could say we're a bunch of jaded whiners who talk about games when we should be working, but we do play games whenever we can find the time.

I definitely spent more time talking about games than playing Bloodborne yesterday, but I still spent as much time as I could (and some I couldn't, I'm tired as shit at work right now) playing it last night.

I bought this without playing the last gen version on the ps4. It was fun I got the plat for Bloodbourne still working on this ones I'm stuck trying to get to the third rank of the abysmal covenant for a spell. Wanted to do this before new game plus. It's a good game but I could have done without the losing health part of the game. It's annoying to burn up a humanity when your having trouble with a section of the game to get your health back. I liked the world it gave more weight that is was a kingdom that you where going to different areas. Bloodbourne felt like a city. I played darksouls 1 and I couldn't make it past the last boss and had no internet at the time so no coop. Hopefully dark souls 1 and demon souls get a ps4 port I want the whole souls saga on my ps4.

Renekton

I hate halberds in 2. All the attacks feel so ungainly. I miss the fast overheads from 1. I also dont like what they did to scythes even if scoring multiple hit feels pretty good. The damage is too underwhelming for the finesse the weapon requires.
DS1 halberds were just too good.

No tears shed for me. I don't PvP tho.

Mandelbo

Managed to get to Brume Tower now, because seriously look how cool it is!

I don't think I'm a high enough level to attempt it right now so it'll have to wait. I was reminded earlier how pitiful I am at PvP, so I've levelled some Caestus' up to try and give me an edge on speed.

I actually enjoy most of Tseldora, the design, enemies, lore, I love how you can do some jumps and drops and skip most of it, the only thing I really really hate about it is the spider room right before climbing a stair and getting to the last room before the boss fight. It's pretty bad, and it's even worse in Scholar.

It's not that hard if you take the time to fight them all, but I always love that you don't have to do this in Souls games, so the areas that go against that philosphy are generally the ones I dislike the most. They even patched Lost Izalith to make it more rush friendly in Dark Souls, right? Nerfing the dragon asses and their aggro range.

It's not that bad for your first playthrough, when you kill everything anyway (or at least I do), but for conscutive playthroughs and speedruns, it can get annoying as hell.

I don't think I've ever seen this helm. I love this game's variety so much. Best Fashion Souls in the Soulsborne series.

I never got this insult. Most people post from work here, you could say we're a bunch of jaded whiners who talk about games when we should be working, but we do play games whenever we can find the time.

I definitely spent more time talking about games than playing Bloodborne yesterday, but I still spent as much time as I could (and some I couldn't, I'm tired as shit at work right now) playing it last night.

Bring a torch. You can then just run through the entire room and the spiders will never attack, just the infested hollow. Same with the descent and indeed the boss fight - as long as you keep a torch lit, you won't have to deal with the small spiders.

Gbraga

Bring a torch. You can then just run through the entire room and the spiders will never attack, just the infested hollow. Same with the descent and indeed the boss fight - as long as you keep a torch lit, you won't have to deal with the small spiders.

Wooooooooooah.

Damn.

Is this true for both vanilla and scholar?

I've been all the way through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls over the past month or so. I enjoyed them both equally - Demon's Souls felt a bit tighter, but Dark Souls had more gameplay depth, and that evened out for both of them.

I also have heard all the bad things about Dark Souls 2, but it's never been anything specific. I played an hour or two of it a while ago, before I completed the other two (although I'd played a lot of Dark Souls), and it actually seemed totally cool. So I'm gonna get it on Steam and start my way through it in the next couple of days.

The one thing I really want to get into is PvP. In Demon's Souls on PS3, online it was 100% dead the entire time I played. Never saw a single summon sign, never got a single invasion and I spent more than half of the game human. Dark Souls on PC was alive, but still could have been a lot better. I'm hoping DS2 will be more active in that area, since it is newer and people say the multiplayer aspects are a bit better designed in this one.

For Scholar at least. It might have been something they added to make torches more useful.

And yes, there's a ton of co-op and PVP in DS2, at least on PS4.

I don't have a PS4, so it'd be either PS3 or PC for me. I would assume PC is more active? Although the game is cheaper to buy on consoles and I do like the feeling of playing on a console/tv over my PC setup...tough choice. Unless it is active on PS3, in which case I guess PS3 is the right choice for me.

What?!? Spiders dont attack you if you have a lit torch!?!

Neiteio

Yeah, the spiders in Tseldora will never attack you if you're carrying a torch. I'm glad I saw a message on the ground that said, "Try torch." I went through the entire level with a torch, including the boss fight, and none of the spiders ever attacked me. It made every encounter with them laughably simple, as they ran away and I chased them down. So I don't understand the tedium complaint. Carry a torch and the spiders of Tseldora will never attack you, allowing you to fully enjoy the complex layout of the place. Also, the place looks really nice aesthetically when you're carrying a torch. And with all of the torches dropped in this game, I have two hours' worth of torch time at the moment.

Yeah, Dark Souls 2 is utterly fantastic so far. I have the four Great Souls and have arrived at Drangleic Castle. It's great to know that the Souls/borne series is four for four. All good games. I'm sure DS3 will bring the number to five to five.

A few points:

Did you go through Belfry Sol when you were in Iron Keep? It's not really a very important area but it looks pretty cool.

Did you figure out where the Iron Key, which you found Iron Keep, leads? The item description gives a hint.

Regarding the NPC in The Gutter, explore along the right edge as you go from the bonfire to the boss area. You will find some ledges you can drop off to.

Also, this NPC can be found from the Shaded Woods as well. You need to find him here too (as well as in a third location) if you want to be able to access the best non-DLC boss of the game.

Did you join the rat bros? Sure, it may be cheesing, but I still found doing that PVP fun. It's also the only way to get infinite Pharros Lockstones, so unless you want to run out of them before you have seen what each contraption does, you have to do some PvP here. To do it, join the covenant, put on the ring and then just wait around in either the Grave of Saints or the optional part of Doors of Pharros.

Tseldora and Shaded Woods were probably my least favourite areas of the game. The last part of Shaded Woods was alright but I hated the area with invisible enemies. While the vertical and complex design of Tseldora was sort of cool, I found it very annoying to navigate. Also, it didn't help that these two are probably the worst-looking levels of the game.

It's cool to see you beat all the bosses by going naked. I think one reason why so many people hate the movement in this game is that they read somewhere that as long as you stayed below 70 % equip load you could avoid the fat roll. But, as you have discovered, there are lots of reasons to keep equip load much lower than that. I kept mine between 30 and 40 % throughout most of the game and was satisfied with the level of mobility that gave me.
Yes, I explored Belfry Sol. Some fun CPU phantoms there, and like you said, it looks lovely.

Yes, I figured out where to use the Iron Key in the Forest of Fallen Giants. The lizards inside were incredibly difficult! I had to use poison knives on one of them. I then retrieved all of the treasure... except for whatever's in the chest being guarded by a lizard in the flame pillar room.

I haven't done much PVP yet. I assume you have to win the battles to get the prizes, right? Is there a penalty for losing?

And like I said earlier, Tseldora looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing when you're using a torch. And the spiders won't bother you when you're using a torch, so it's easier, too!

The Gutter, with all torches lit, seemed a rock-solid 60 fps for me on PS4.

Fantastic area. It reminds me of Blighttown (DS1) or Valley of Defilement (Demon's Souls), but without the poison or movement penalties. I always like levels designed around overlapping, half-collapsed structures.

Right now I can either do the Iron Keep or Sinner's Rise - but I think I'm gonna get Iron Keep done first so I can get to Brume Tower quicker. Neiteio, you better not miss the DLC areas!
I'm planning to do the DLC areas after beating the final boss. I hear that in DS2, you can still explore your current file after beating the boss, so it should be simple to warp to wherever the DLC areas are accessed and play through them.

After running that area a few times with bonfire ascetics I absolutely hate it. The second bonfire in one of those houses has to be the worst bonfire placement of all time. Like 15 spiders and 3 red phantom spiders. Completely fucking stupid.
Again, if you use torches, the spiders will never attack you. They even held back during the boss fight with The Duke's Dear Freja (although Freja still attacked, obviously).

I'm a broken record at this point, but... Use a torch! The spiders will never attack you. :)

Great that you made it to Drangleic Castle, Neiteio. The view when you enter the area - with the imposing castle looming above and the even more imposing stairs leading to it - reminds me a bit of the first shot of Comstock House in Bioshock Infinite, which I know we both loved :3

Also, I was looking at the view of the windmill in Harvest Valley, and I noticed there are two ridges to the mountain behind it. Since you descend the windmill and go into the bedrock behind it to reach Mytha, I think the elevator may be inside the first ridge, and the Iron Keep is sandwiched between the first ridge and the second. The fiery curse on the place would explain the ashy skies over Harvest Valley.

At least in the original versions, you clearly take an elevator up to the Iron Keep from the Windmill, yet outside the windmill clearly is it's own structure with a top and a bottom, and nothing connecting it to anything above. This really bugged me since I felt the world of Dark Souls was so well put together, absent of inconsistencies like that. Sometimes it's the smallest things that ruin suspension of disbelief.

Neiteio

Great that you made it to Drangleic Castle, Neiteio. The view when you enter the area - with the imposing castle looming above and the even more imposing stairs leading to it - reminds me a bit of the first shot of Comstock House in Bioshock Infinite, which I know we both loved :3
Yeah, definitely getting some Comstock House vibes. I love how slick everything looks in the rain. I stopped playing there last night. I was eager to back up my file and start trimming the videos of all the bosses I had defeated. I think the last thing I did before quitting for the night was getting wrecked by the two giant elephant guards, lol. I was worried we'd get too close to Emerald Herald and accidentally kill her. :p

Yeah, definitely getting some Comstock House vibes. I love how slick everything looks in the rain. I stopped playing there last night. I was eager to back up my file and start trimming the videos of all the bosses I had defeated. I think the last thing I did before quitting for the night was getting wrecked by the two giant elephant guards, lol. I was worried we'd get too close to Emerald Herald and accidentally kill her. :p

Most seem to agree that the game kicks it up a notch (pow!) starting with Drangleic Castle, so you have a lot to look forward to.

Neiteio

At least in the original versions, you clearly take an elevator up to the Iron Keep from the Windmill, yet outside the windmill clearly is it's own structure with a top and a bottom, and nothing connecting it to anything above. This really bugged me since I felt the world of Dark Souls was so well put together, absent of inconsistencies like that. Sometimes it's the smallest things that ruin suspension of disbelief.
Speaking only for SotFS, I don't recall any vantage points that allow you to see the windmill from the side. So I was always under the impression it was a facade built into the mountain ridge behind it. You'd still think you could see Iron Keep peeking above the two mountain ridges behind it, but at the same time, if Mytha's room is at the bottom of the windmill, built into the rock, and the elevator is past that, it could be a trick of perspective where Iron Keep is sandwiched between the two ridges, and thus out of sight. But I agree: If the elevator ride were much shorter, and was deeper in, it would be more believable, because the elevator feels like it travels several times the height of the windmill.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hyperbole at its finest!
Absolutely. I lit all the sconces in the Gutter and didn't notice any drop. It ran fine. The whole game has been 100% smooth so far.

Wooooooooooah.

Damn.

Is this true for both vanilla and scholar?
Not vanilla, though vanilla has fewer spiders overall. But yep, in the very first spider room (before the Congregation boss) I saw a bunch of messages about torches, which suited me because I like lighting all the sconces anyway and there were some in there, and I was happily surprised to see all the spiders backing away. They behaved kind of like the Old Yharnam beasts, except even less aggressive, I don't think I ever got attacked by a spider with a torch in hand. I even kept my torch for the first phase of the boss until I had killed all of the mobs, made things wayyy easier. Though I turned it off to two-hand my halberd for more damage and when she had a sliver left she summoned more critters, so I almost died then, haha.

The spider rooms are really, really creepy now, with the spiders hanging on the walls. It's unsettling because it's actually more realistic, and the spiders are more menacing and detailed in 1080p. Brrrrrr!

Gbraga

Not vanilla, though vanilla has fewer spiders overall. But yep, in the very first spider room (before the Congregation boss) I saw a bunch of messages about torches, which suited me because I like lighting all the sconces anyway and there were some in there, and I was happily surprised to see all the spiders backing away. They behaved kind of like the Old Yharnam beasts, except even less aggressive, I don't think I ever got attacked by a spider with a torch in hand. I even kept my torch for the first phase of the boss until I had killed all of the mobs, made things wayyy easier. Though I turned it off to two-hand my halberd for more damage and when she had a sliver left she summoned more critters, so I almost died then, haha.

The spider rooms are really, really creepy now, with the spiders hanging on the walls. It's unsettling because it's actually more realistic, and the spiders are more menacing and detailed in 1080p. Brrrrrr!

That's great to know, I guess I'll go with Scholar for my new heavy dude PVE character, after all.

Neiteio

Absolutely. I lit all the sconces in the Gutter and didn't notice any drop. It ran fine. The whole game has been 100% smooth so far.

As someone who is horribly afraid of spiders IRL (although I still try to relocate them outside when they cooperate, asking them to please not come back), what is it with From Software and arachnids?

I remember with Armor Spider in Demon's Souls, one of the most satisfying moments was blasting it with fireballs as I emerged from the fog gate. Then you have Chaos Witch Quelaag in Dark Souls 1, Rom the Vacuous Spider and his minions in Bloodborne, the Nightmare Apostles (including the huge one and the Bell Maiden respawns) also in Bloodborne, and now you have the Duke's Dear Freja and the Writhing Ruin (what they appear to be called in lore) in Dark Souls 2.

It begs the question... What creepy-crawlies will Dark Souls 3 have??

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yup every Soulsborne game has had spiders, usually of the giant kind. Bloodborne is the worst so far. Realistic giant spiders, fantasy giant spiders, writhing Cthulhu giant spiders... everything was spiders.

I still think the most unnerving ones are in Dark Souls 2 though. I go "aaagh!" every time, and I skip the Freja cut scene because it's too gross.

I'm not arachnophobic but I do smash every spider I find into my home. No mercy!

Neiteio

Yup every Soulsborne game has had spiders, usually of the giant kind. Bloodborne is the worst so far. Realistic giant spiders, fantasy giant spiders, writhing Cthulhu giant spiders... everything was spiders.

I still think the most unnerving ones are in Dark Souls 2 though. I go "aaagh!" every time, and I skip the Freja cut scene because it's too gross.

I'm not arachnophobic but I do smash every spider I find into my home. No mercy!
Well, as long as you're quick and they don't know what hit them, I suppose it's not cruel! That's what I try to do when I can't get one into a cup to take it outside. One nice thing about my current digs at a second-story apartment is I never get bugs in here. :-D

And yeah, the spiders in DS2 are really unnerving, how some of them cling to the walls with their sickle-like legs, their chitinous carapaces glistening slickly in the torchlight... :-X

Neiteio

Goddammit.
Sorry. As much as they terrify me, there's still something poetically beautiful about them (and most creatures) in these games. :-D

Like I really love the design on the Rotten. You guys remember the Big Daddy doll from BioShock 2, with the baseball for a head? The Rotten reminds me of that — only here the doll's eyes are human heads, and his fingers and fingertips are the legs and feet of many Hollows. And the way he scoots around on a hundred outreached arms clawing at the earth, pulling along his body of fused flesh...

Again, it's classic Souls. :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha it's all good. I just found your description to be particularly spot on.

The Rotten does look cool. Some of the monster design really comes out nicer in 1080p. Or perhaps I'm just more attentive to the details this time.

Top Bottom