• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

I'm really enjoying the Chariot Lance. Makes me wonder what other boss soul trades might be fun. Any recommendations for a Strength build?

I only used two boss. Souls for some. Weapons and upgraded them to the max:

- Pursuers Ultra Greatsword
- Fume Knights Ultra Greatsword

Pursuers weapon took me through the whole NG+ Including killing Fume Knight again. Really a great sword that stuns, knocks down and even can be enchanted with Crystal Magic Weapon. 2H it I was dealing 1001 damage with one hit on 90% of the bosses which is A LOT.

Fume Knight sword though was a disaster for me. I was using it in NG++ and it just sucks. Cannot be enhanced with spells, with my stats it dealt less damage than Pursuers, slower attacks etc. I had to switch back to Pursuers one! The only upside to Fume Knights weapon is 80% damage reduction when blocking two handed. Better than a whole lot of shields.

And yeah I had 50 STR. Pursuers >>>>> Fume Knights.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Neiteio, your screenshots are great but could you do me a favour and revive as a human before taking them? The hollowed character ruins them, IMO. ;) I also always take off aura-giving equipment (like chloranthy or HP regen) because that ruins the Fashion Souls.

Neiteio

Neiteio, your screenshots are great but could you do me a favour and revive as a human before taking them? The hollowed character ruins them, IMO. ;) I also always take off aura-giving equipment (like chloranthy or HP regen) because that ruins the Fashion Souls.
Yeah, I always take off the aura-creating items when taking a screenshot, but I try to conserve effigies (even though I got like 26 at this point). I'll try to be less decomposed when taking pics (although I'm very amused by my pantless zombie!).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A quick way to revive without using effigies is to drop a summon sign, particularly a small soapstone sign. A quick coop session where you help the host kill a few mobs and bam, you're revived, your gear is fully repaired and your estus is refilled.

Shades are OP.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also, the binoculars are an equippable item now (like a weapon or shield), so that you can use them while aiming spells in first person, and not hotkeyed like a consumable.

Neiteio

A quick way to revive without using effigies is to drop a summon sign, particularly a small soapstone sign. A quick coop session where you help the host kill a few mobs and bam, you're revived, your gear is fully repaired and your estus is refilled.

Shades are OP.
Oh wow, this is great to know. What areas do you recommend for this? Or do you not know where you'll end up when summoned? I haven't initiated co-op in any form.

bidguy

Banned
if you go for STR you have to take the greatsword

it has 400 damage at +10 and an S scaling on STR

i believe thats the highest in the game

Grady

Picked it back up last week after a couple months off. Really surprised at how much content is in the dlc areas. Excited for dark souls 3 and bloodborne dlc if it ever gets announced. Hope bloodborne dlc is lengthy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Since matchmaking is done by soul memory, you should try dropping your sign in the area where you're more likely to find other players with the same soul memory, i.e. players who are about as advanced into the game as you are.

When you're using the fast-travel, some bonfire areas will be highlighted with an orange outline: this means that they're the areas where are currently the most players active that are within multiplayer range. I would suggest dropping your sign in front of boss doors in those areas, since that's the quickest coop session (help host kill the boss, and that's it). If you feel the boss is too hard (host or yourself keep dying, for example), or you'd rather not do a boss to get too many souls to increase your SM or whatever, dropping a shade sign at the beginning of an area is another good idea.

Depends on soul memory of course, but Smelter Demon and Iron Keep is a popular coop area. Since you're at Undead Crypt, I'd suggest dropping by the second bonfire in there too, or any bonfire in Shrine of Amana.

Mandelbo

Since matchmaking is done by soul memory, you should try dropping your sign in the area where you're more likely to find other players with the same soul memory, i.e. players who are about as advanced into the game as you are.

Worth noting that you can see what areas have high activity in your soul memory bracket from the bonfire teleport screen. Areas that have a lot of activity have an orange outline.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Shades are OP.

Shades better be back in 3 or B Team suddenly becomes the real A Team.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shades better be back in 3 or B Team suddenly becomes the real A Team.
Indeed. Shades were a fantastic idea, they don't get enough love IMO.

Worth noting that you can see what areas have high activity in your soul memory bracket from the bonfire teleport screen. Areas that have a lot of activity have an orange outline.
I literally said that right after the line you quoted, lol....

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh wow, this is great to know. What areas do you recommend for this? Or do you not know where you'll end up when summoned? I haven't initiated co-op in any form.

Actually, if you go into the Bonfire Warp menu you can see which areas you're most likely to get a co-op session in, they're marked red iirc.

Edit: I see this was mentioned...twice already :lol

Neiteio

I just tried putting down my sign outside Smelter Demon. Someone summoned me, but when they went through the fog gate, I was returned to my world...?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think people are sending me back to my world because I don't wear armor...

There are some odd mechanics regarding bosses and small white soapstones, I just checked on the Wiki and sometimes the game just boots you out for some reason. Try using the regular White Soapstone instead

Edit: People can see what gear you have on just by standing near the summon sign, so they wouldn't summon you in the first place if they were armour elitists :p

I just tried putting down my sign outside Smelter Demon. Someone summoned me, but when they went through the fog gate, I was returned to my world...?

I think people are sending me back to my world because I don't wear armor...

People will summon you for the run up to smelter demon cause its just tedious in SOTFS, but they still want the challenge of fighting smelter demon....So they send you back to their world.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This person summoned me outside Smelter Demon, though.
They were probably fighting
the Pursuer
, and thought they could summon help for it. But when Smelter is dead, crossing that fog just sends you back to your world, unfortunately.
Pursuer must be solo'd in this area.

They can still summon you as a phantom because the Old Iron King boss is still alive in their world. If you're dropping a small soapstone sign, you can be summoned anywhere even if the host's boss is dead, so it's cool if you want to revisit an area for secrets or whatever and want help with the normal mobs.

Rush_Khan

I impulsively bought this game even though I already completed it on PS3 (including the DLCs).

I would really like to play this game in a style similar to Bloodborne, is that possible? Should I just keep increasing the Agility stat?

Neiteio

I impulsively bought this game even though I already completed it on PS3 (including the DLCs).

I would really like to play this game in a style similar to Bloodborne, is that possible? Should I just keep increasing the Agility stat?
Yep, wear minimal to no armor (or very light armor) and level up Adaptability for invincibility frames. If you level up Vitality (equip load) you can wear more while still rolling fast.

ramyeon

If you go into someone's world as a summon you should really follow the host instead of trying to show them where to go. Had some guy come in and I wanted to go towards the Dragon in Heide's Tower but he kept trying to take me to the Dragonrider who I already beat, so annoying.

In other news finally got the Alva set! And I beat the Pursuer a bunch of times in different places - feels good.

---

Beat the Old Dragonslayer - is this guy related to Ornstein? I've never play DS1 but I've seen videos of the fight before and he looks pretty much the same. He was a bit of a pushover. Just a lot of strafing around him, the occasional block or roll and getting hits in where I could. Went down without much hassle. Getting used to using the shield to block as opposed to rolling now. Just need to keep an eye on my stamina more - I sometimes get into "Bloodborne mode" and feel like I can do more actions than I actually can which ends in me getting hit. Also have moments when I try to attack as quick as I can to regain health haha. Hard habits to shake. I fucking love the Alva Set, it has this real nice weight to it that makes it feel really substantial. Can't decide on a helm though (I actually didn't buy the Alva Helm yet). Fashionsouls makes me want to use this dandy Hunter's Cap, but this Syan's Helm I found on the way to No Man's Wharf is better in pretty much every way.

CMkzBizUYAAAusG.jpg:large

CMkzINlUcAAM-sM.jpg:large

CMkzQ39VEAAN0Le.jpg:large

Haven't had as much time to play as I would have liked recently, today's the first time I could put in any time since earlier last week. Progress is slow haha. Also oddly enough I find some of the areas in this game way more scary than anything in Bloodborne. Maybe it's the bad lighting system (Seriously, it's way too dark in those dark rooms) or the difficulty. No Man's Wharf is the place I just got to and it seems way more scary than anything I saw in Bloodborne except maybe the Upper Cathedral Ward, strange considering the latter is way more rooted in horror.

DukeBobby

God, what the hell did they do to Iron Keep? The run from the first bonfire to Smelter Demon was hard in the original, but now they've added more of those bow and arrow knights as well as a bunch of NPC phantoms.

Hoping I can beat Smelter Demon on my first or second try or else this will be a pain.

EDIT: Second try. Not bad.

Neiteio

God, what the hell did they do to Iron Keep? The run from the first bonfire to Smelter Demon was hard in the original, but now they've added more of those bow and arrow knights as well as a bunch of NPC phantoms.

Hoping I can beat Smelter Demon on my first or second try or else this will be a pain.
I'd recommend taking the time to de-spawn them. It's a good way to level up, and it makes it easier to get back to Smelter Demon.

Beat the Old Dragonslayer - is this guy related to Ornstein? I've never play DS1 but I've seen videos of the fight before and he looks pretty much the same. He was a bit of a pushover. Just a lot of strafing around him, the occasional block or roll and getting hits in where I could. Went down without much hassle.
It's the same model and moves as Ornstein, but black instead of gold. He's easier since he's by himself, and he doesn't go into his Phase 2 attacks from DS1. Those would happen if you defeated Smough first — Ornstein would absorb the fallen Smough's power and become huge. (Alternatively, defeating Ornstein first would cause Smough to absorb Ornstein's lightning power!)

Ramyeon said:
Haven't had as much time to play as I would have liked recently, today's the first time I could put in any time since earlier last week. Progress is slow haha. Also oddly enough I find some of the areas in this game way more scary than anything in Bloodborne. Maybe it's the bad lighting system (Seriously, it's way too dark in those dark rooms) or the difficulty. No Man's Wharf is the place I just got to and it seems way more scary than anything I saw in Bloodborne except maybe the Upper Cathedral Ward, strange considering the latter is way more rooted in horror.
Yeah, No-man's Wharf (as is the correct way to write it — took me a while to learn this) is genuinely scary at times. Many nasty surprises lie in wait... But you'll know it like the back of your hand by the time you're done with it. One of the best levels in the series, IMO, along with Lost Bastille right after it. (There are multiple ways to Lost Bastille)

Game is quite different from Dark 1 and I just got to the point where you can level up at the Emerald Herald. She's cool but she ain't the pancake face lady. I have no idea where to even begin, attack speed seems pretty slow, a lot of stats you have to deal with as well. I don't mind being able to travel between bonfires from the beginning but that seems to mean there's no special Miyazaki sauce level of level interconnectivity and short cuts. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to adapt to it, it just feels a lot slower than Demon's, Dark 1 and Bloodborne. Where am I supposed to go first? I blundered into Heide and I think the Land of the Fallen Giants or whatever. I had no real time to play and explore and noped out of both areas.

Game is quite different from Dark 1 and I just got to the point where you can level up at the Emerald Herald. She's cool but she ain't the pancake face lady. I have no idea where to even begin, attack speed seems pretty slow, a lot of stats you have to deal with as well. I don't mind being able to travel between bonfires from the beginning but that seems to mean there's no special Miyazaki sauce level of level interconnectivity and short cuts. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to adapt to it, it just feels a lot slower than Demon's, Dark 1 and Bloodborne. Where am I supposed to go first? I blundered into Heide and I think the Land of the Fallen Giants or whatever. I had no real time to play and explore and noped out of both areas.

You could clear either of those areas first, but I'd recommend Forest of Fallen Giants for various reasons.

ramyeon

I'd recommend taking the time to de-spawn them. It's a good way to level up, and it makes it easier to get back to Smelter Demon.

It's the same model and moves as Ornstein, but black instead of gold. He's easier since he's by himself, and he doesn't go into his Phase 2 attacks from DS1. Those would happen if you defeated Smough first — Ornstein would absorb the fallen Smough's power and become huge. (Alternatively, defeating Ornstein first would cause Smough to absorb Ornstein's lightning power!)

Yeah, No-man's Wharf (as is the correct way to write it — took me a while to learn this) is genuinely scary at times. Many nasty surprises lie in wait... But you'll know it like the back of your hand by the time you're done with it. One of the best levels in the series, IMO, along with Lost Bastille right after it. (There are multiple ways to Lost Bastille)
Man, I really hope DS1 gets a remaster for PS4 eventually. I really want to play some of the boss fights I've seen from that game - they look fantastic.

Gonna pull some courage together and get my ass into No-man's Wharf in a bit haha. I headed back to Majula and now I've upgraded my Estus to +1 strength with 5 charges - also used some Souls to stock up on Lifegems. In Bloodborne I horded Blood Vials like crazy - never had below 100 after a certain point in the game and by endgame I had maxed out the inventory stockpile haha. Doesn't seem as easy to get Lifegems here so I'm using them sparingly and mostly relying on my Estus.

Also noticed I somehow got a Soul Vessel somewhere along the line. Nice to know I'll be able to respec my character if I realise I've screwed it up royally later on.
It is super slow at first - I can't compare to DS1 but it was a shock coming form Bloodborne. I've gotten used to it to a certain extent now, but mostly I've just had to adapt to playing more methodically and hiding behind a shield when I have to ("Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity." lol). The Adaptability stat pisses me off - you need to pump levels into it to get more i-frames when rolling and it feels like I've wasted a lot of levels on it. I've got it to 21 or something now (Which gives me 98 agility, apparently 100 is ideal).

Levels definitely feel more self contained and game-y due to that. They all have really different visuals and themes which keeps it interesting but makes it feel less cohesive to me than Bloodborne did. I did the Forest of the Fallen Giants first - seems to be the "tutorial" level and there's some great equipment and items to pick up there. You also need to at least progress a bit there to unlock the Blacksmith's door so he can start upgrading your equipment and you'll also find the town's item vendor there too.

Difficulty and gear. Not sure if you want me to go into specifics.
I'm bound to do some research in my off time and find everything out so don't worry about it. Just knowing where to go first was a big enough help so thanks.
It is super slow at first - I can't compare to DS1 but it was a shock coming form Bloodborne. I've gotten used to it to a certain extent now, but mostly I've just had to adapt to playing more methodically and hiding behind a shield when I have to ("Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity." lol). The Adaptability stat pisses me off - you need to pump levels into it to get more i-frames when rolling and it feels like I've wasted a lot of levels on it. I've got it to 21 or something now (Which gives me 98 agility, apparently 100 is ideal).

Levels definitely feel more self contained and game-y due to that. They all have really different visuals and themes which keeps it interesting but makes it feel less cohesive to me than Bloodborne did. I did the Forest of the Fallen Giants first - seems to be the "tutorial" level and there's some great equipment and items to pick up there. You also need to at least progress a bit there to unlock the Blacksmith's door so he can start upgrading your equipment and you'll also find the town's item vendor there too.
I honestly think you would like Demons Souls, the worlds aren't interconnected but the levels are nicely designed, so much atmosphere in that game.

ramyeon

I'm bound to do some research in my off time and find everything out so don't worry about it. Just knowing where to go first was a big enough help so thanks.

I honestly think you would like Demons Souls, the worlds aren't interconnected but the levels are nicely designed, so much atmosphere in that game.
I reckon I'd probably end up loving both Demon's and DS1 if I get the chance to play them. I can only hope for remasters. If not I'll have to get a PS3 someday to play them :/

Walpurgis

Banned
Does anyone know if the Dark Souls II DLC has ever gone on sale for PS3? I've been waiting for that before I play Bloodborne but it's been a few months with nothing. :/

I reckon I'd probably end up loving both Demon's and DS1 if I get the chance to play them. I can only hope for remasters. If not I'll have to get a PS3 someday to play them :/
Experiencing Flame Lurker and the Tower of Latria would be worth it since it's one of the best boss battles in the series and Latria is one of the best levels as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
but now they've added more of those bow and arrow knights
Not really, they just placed them in different locations.
as well as a bunch of NPC phantoms.
You mean the invaders? Only 2 at the beginning. Fencer Whatshisname was a pain for me though. But yeah I like how there's so many new NPC invaders and phantoms now.

I beat Smelter my first try, only got hit once, too. This guy's not as scary as he used to be. =) High agility helps a lot.

Neiteio

Accidentally agitated and killed a certain NPC in Undead Crypt. Any way to bring him back so I can shop with him, etc?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Incorrect, some NPCs can be temporarily revived by paying a fee on their tombstone to talk to them (and therefore use their services).

Not sure about Agdayne though...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does anyone know if the Dark Souls II DLC has ever gone on sale for PS3? I've been waiting for that before I play Bloodborne but it's been a few months with nothing. :/

Play Bloodborne instead.

Then just wait until Scholars of the First Sin goes on sale!

Accidentally agitated and killed a certain NPC in Undead Crypt. Any way to bring him back so I can shop with him, etc?

A gravestone should appear where he was after some amount of time. I believe you can pay the gravestone souls to interact with him as though he was alive.

Top Bottom