• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Neiteio

Once an NPC is dead, they are dead.

Thanks for playing.
That would be true in other Souls games (where I've always avoided accidents), but I've heard there are ways to revive them in DS2. See below.

Incorrect, some NPCs can be temporarily revived by paying a fee on their tombstone to talk to them (and therefore use their services).

Not sure about Agdayne though...

A gravestone should appear where he was after some amount of time. I believe you can pay the gravestone souls to interact with him as though he was alive.
Hopefully that's how it works with this one. I'd like the option to buy effigies from him.

Neiteio

I've been backing up my saves, so I could restart shortly before I killed the NPC. But on GameFAQs, someone claims the grave marker popped up after a couple days (play sessions?).

I've been backing up my saves, so I could restart shortly before I killed the NPC. But on GameFAQs, someone claims the grave marker popped up after a couple days (play sessions?).

No idea. I've never killed a DS2 NPC
cb619LQ.png

Maddrical

This thread has been a great read, good to see a DS2 thread that isn't full of whinging and bitching. I bought SotfS on PS4 a while ago after having completed vanilla on PS3 & PC, but this run is 100% solo, no summons. I'm stuck on Fume Knight at the moment, holy crap he's hard, but I'm having a blast.

DS2 is my favourite Souls game in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Demon's Souls is still my favourite world.

ramyeon

Done with No-man's Wharf I think. Killed the Flexile Sentry (With the help of Lucatiel as I heard you need to summon her a number of times to complete her quest line) and he was a huge pushover. I feel like I may be a little over levelled - I do notice that you level up crazy fast in this compared to Bloodborne. Is this the area you can farm for the Sea Bow in? Is it worth it?

I now have two paths I can take I think - Lost Bastille or the Shaded Woods. Decisions, decisions!

Neiteio

Done with No-man's Wharf I think. Killed the Flexile Sentry (With the help of Lucatiel as I heard you need to summon her a number of times to complete her quest line) and he was a huge pushover. I feel like I may be a little over levelled - I do notice that you level up crazy fast in this compared to Bloodborne. Is this the area you can farm for the Sea Bow in? Is it worth it?

I now have two paths I can take I think - Lost Bastille or the Shaded Woods. Decisions, decisions!
Flexile Sentry is a great fight when you go solo. But I didn't know about summoning her to get her armor. Sometimes going in blind bites me in the butt.

Also, go to Lost Bastille next.

ramyeon

Flexile Sentry is a great fight when you go solo. But I didn't know about summoning her to get her armor. Sometimes going in blind bites me in the butt.

Also, go to Lost Bastille next.
Apparently you can use a Bonfire Ascetic and summon her to do the boss and it'll count. You don't even need to summon her for different bosses I think, so you do theoretically just do the Flexile Sentry 3 times with her.

Will try Lost Bastille next then! Makes sense to do that after the Wharf I guess.

M.D

I bought the game months ago, played a lot and stopped for some reason.
I'm now playing again but not as much. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for a DS game right now.

Pretty sure I'm in one of the DLC areas right now, the one where your on top of a snowy mountains and have this awesome view in all directions

Apparently you can use a Bonfire Ascetic and summon her to do the boss and it'll count. You don't even need to summon her for different bosses I think, so you do theoretically just do the Flexile Sentry 3 times with her.

Will try Lost Bastille next then! Makes sense to do that after the Wharf I guess.

I would save Lucatiel (and Benhart's) quest for NG+, then. Using a Bonfire Ascetic permanently raises a level's difficulty, so if you raise it to +1, then enter NG+, the same area will start at +2 when every other area is only +1.

Neiteio

I would save Lucatiel (and Benhart's) quest for NG+, then. Using a Bonfire Ascetic permanently raises a level's difficulty, so if you raise it to +1, then enter NG+, the same area will start at +2 when every other area is only +1.
Good to know! I'll keep all of this in mind.

ramyeon

True! That makes sense I guess. I'll definitely try to knock down Lucatiel's quest in NG since I'm unlikely to go into NG+. If I do replay I'll probably do the same I did with Bloodborne and start a new character. That said you can respec in this game so there's less need to do that I guess.

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I expected to from the first few hours.

ramyeon

Just got wrecked by the Ruin Sentinels on my first go haha. Didn't really know what to expect going in and it bit me in the arse. This seems like the first boss so far that'll be a bit difficult - haven't really had any issues with them until now. That said I'm getting Shadows of Yharnam flashbacks - that seemed crazy difficult on my first try but I quickly got the hang of it and they were easy every time since. I got invaded by my first Forlorn on my way to the boss too - he wasn't too tough. Kind of want that armour set though.

Also finally at 100 agility after reaching 26 Adaptability. Seriously though, screw this stat and whoever thought it was a good idea.

spliced

I'm enjoying most of the changes I've noticed so far, it's nice to be able to have a fresh play through on a Souls game since I go through them so much. The tension of not knowing what's next and trying to clear out the areas, especially the first parts when you're weak.

I loved getting the Grand Lance early on, it was exactly the kind of weapon I wanted to try out more.

Heide's has a better mix now, all those old knights were too much, although the area is harder now.

The way of blue actually worked, I was shocked.

The longer follow range of the enemies surprising at first when you are used to the old version, it's good though.

JackelZXA

Heide's has a better mix now, all those old knights were too much, although the area is harder now.

I like that they come to life after the fact. It transforms the area into a higher range zone after you clear the first boss of the zone.

I feel like it's actually better to head to another zone after dragonrider. It kinda makes some level of sense to just head back through the rotunda, since huntsman's copse and harvest valley/earthen peak are easier than the rest of that spoke.

Neiteio

Agdayne came back! After beating Vendrick, I warped to many different locations. I then returned to where I accidentally killed him and there was a gravestone. I paid 3,000 souls and his ghost appeared, reciting all of the dialogue, teaching me the gesture, and opening shop. Sweet! I have video and screens to prove it, too. :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I really wanted the
ring of the living
so I decided to start the 3rd DLC right away (I'm currently at the beginning of Undead Crypt in the main game and haven't touched the other DLCs).

And while I died once to the horses in the Outskirts*, I killed the
Lud & Zallen
on my first try. Fuuuuuuuck yes, I feel so badass. And I fucking love brightbugs, they make this possible. <3 I had a ridiculous lucky break though.
First pet was almost dead but both were on me, I had a sliver left and spammed rolls to dodge one of the tiger's swipes just as the other one casts its homing projectile attack. I thought "this is it, I'm dead, rolling never works to dodge these projectiles, you gotta run but I'm out of stamina...." and then somehow I lived. I don't know how, but I did, and managed to chug 2 estus to refill my health (my last two estus!) and killed the first tiger. After that, playing safe against the second one, using lifegems to heal if needed, wasn't so bad. I managed to interrupt its buffing phase too and killed it before it started regenerating. Phew!
So goddamn satisfying.

Oh and my bk halberd broke before
I could take down the first pet
too. xD Is there something about this boss that affects durability? It got "at risk" for Aava too, like halfway into the fight, but was never an issue before. Weird.

Oh, also, really cool thing I noticed: the Eye of the Priestess
allows you to see the enemies in Shaded Woods now! :O Amazing.

* Is it just me or do the lulls in the storm last longer now than in the vanilla game? I managed to run from the third shelter to the
Ring of the Living
without the storm starting up. :O

Is this the area you can farm for the Sea Bow in? Is it worth it?
Sea bow is good on a strength build, but otherwise mediocre. So, unless you don't plan on ever levelling up your dex beyond 15 and want a bow, it might be worth farming (the short bow has a lower dex requirement at 12 but does weaker damage, scales with dex and has shorter range). My strength tank relied on crossbows for ranged support, myself.

I would strongly recommend Lost Bastille. Shaded Woods will be a bit harsh so early.

Neiteio

&#8220;Oh, hello there! Didn&#8217;t see you come in!&#8221;

darksoulsii_scholarof5yu00.jpg

That&#8217;s my new look. No shirt, no pants, no shoes, but I&#8217;m wearing the face of the Looking Glass Knight&#8230; and I feel fabulous. The best part is how the three faces make it look like I&#8217;m looking over my shoulder, lol.

So as I said earlier, I accidentally killed Agdayne, an NPC in the Undead Crypt, the one that becomes hostile if you use a torch. Fortunately, I was able to revive him! After defeating Velstadt, the boss of the area, I warped around to many different bonfires, and then went back to where he had been standing. Now there was a tombstone on the wall. I paid 3,000 souls and conjured up his spirit. I exhausted the full dialogue line, learned his gesture, and went shopping, buying some effigies. :)

Here&#8217;s the video proof &#8212; I&#8217;m glad I didn&#8217;t have to use my backup save, even though I would&#8217;ve only lost a half-hour&#8217;s progress:

darksoulsii_scholarofijufj.jpg

Undead Crypt was a harrowing adventure, to say the least. So many rooms with so many traps, including many, MANY Dark Spirits. And I was invaded by two players, as well (I could tell by the goofy usernames), but I hid in the shadows and they never found me. I was carrying too many souls &#8212; I didn&#8217;t want to risk it!

Velstadt, the Royal Aegis was an epic boss. Here's the video of the fight! In the run up to him, I discovered the respawning Hollow that would ring the bell and summon the spirits. I then fired a lightning arrow at the Dragonrider from the stairs. While he was running up the hall, I ate a Green Blossom for fast stamina regeneration and ran past him, dashing past his minions and into the boss room. I then applied gold pine resin to my club and went to work. I noticed that during the boss&#8217;s second phase, you can bait him into using his spell attack by standing far away from him. The spell has such a long windup and cooldown that it&#8217;s the perfect opportunity to get in free hits.

Afterward I snatched the King&#8217;s Ring from the room with the shuffling giant. I didn&#8217;t know how to interact with him so I talked to the Emerald Herald and boned out of there.

And with my 100,000+ souls, I leveled up multiple times&#8230; and bought the Looking Glass Knight&#8217;s Helm. Teardrops and crown of thorns, baby. I also bought and upgraded the Pursuer&#8217;s Ultra Greatsword. Sweeeeeet.

No idea where to go next. But I&#8217;m looking good!

darksoulsii_scholarofqnuap.jpg

Neiteio, now you want to head to
Shaded Woods - Ruined Fork Road, center path
. It can be a bit tough to figure out if you didn't already stumble onto the gate there that requires the King's Ring to open.

You have two kickass areas coming up. Have fun :D

I see several posts on GameFAQs, Reddit, etc, saying a grave marker will appear for him at some point. Hmm...

There is a guy Brightstone Cove Tseldora right next to one of the bonfires. Climb the ladder up and you can pay souls and ask for pardons. The room has lots of spiders in it as well. Dont kill them.

ramyeon

You know what this game has that Bloodborne doesn't? Awesome sounds when you're walking while wearing armour. Love the clanking and clinking sounds. It's the little things.

Weird, I know.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is a guy Brightstone Cove Tseldora right next to one of the bonfires. Climb the ladder up and you can pay souls and ask for pardons. The room has lots of spiders in it as well. Dont kill them.
Cromwell only un-aggros hostile NPCs, though, he doesn't revive them if they're dead. The grave works, though.

What happens if you kill the spiders? Does he get angry? I didn't dare touch them since they didn't attack, but it did go against all my spider-quashing instincts... :p

Murman

For me it's ds > bb = Des >>>>>>>>>> ds2.

I actually think bb has the best gameplay of all of them but ds has the best level design.
I don't know what it was about ds2 but it just wasn't on the same level as the rest

I really like BB's level design. The shortcuts were plentiful but I loved that aspect, felt like you were always making progress when you found a shortcut back to the lantern.

NEO0MJ

too. xD Is there something about this boss that affects durability? It got "at risk" for Aava too, like halfway into the fight, but was never an issue before. Weird.

I used to carry a back-up weapon for when I fought
Sinh
but this never happened to me before.

karasu

I love this game but I do nothing but die in it. My character looks like some kind of hideous zombie now. The atmosphere this game builds is incredible.

the biggest problem with BB is that miyazaki cant design a katana with awesome transformation instead of that lame seppuku.

anyway have been playing the DLC area. They are pretty good but not on the level i expected when i read all those impression.

ramyeon

the biggest problem with BB is that miyazaki cant design a katana with awesome transformation instead of that lame seppuku.

anyway have been playing the DLC area. They are pretty good but not on the level i expected when i read all those impression.
Chikage is one my favourite weapons in BB. It might lack a cool transformation but it makes up for that since it's so unique in its use of the Bloodtinge stat in its secondary state. Its the only weapon I use on my Skill/BT character and it destroys. So good.

I can buy a Katana now from McDuff - I notice it scales with Dex. Are there other Katanas in DS2? Do they all scale with Dex? I've mostly been focusing on Str until now.

Which dlc area? sunken king is the best designed area

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

From cant design katanas period. They are always broken bullshit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Chikage is one my favourite weapons in BB. It might lack a cool transformation but it makes up for that since it's so unique in its use of the Bloodtinge stat in its secondary state. Its the only weapon I use on my Skill/BT character and it destroys. So good.

I can buy a Katana now from McDuff - I notice it scales with Dex. Are there other Katanas in DS2? Do they all scale with Dex? I've mostly been focusing on Str until now.

Katanas are always Dex scaling.

I found this game impossibly hard, I quit after a few hours.

I think I wasn't understanding it, I couldn't even beat the first troll in the water.

Yes, Sinh and the Ice Tigers damage your weapon faster than the other bosses. My weapons broke in the entire game only twice: during Sinh and L&Z fights. Also fuck L&Z.

tumblr_nds0g7jY2m1rcfcwlo2_500.jpg

Worse case scenario the enemies will despawn permanently after you kill them so many times. There is a boss later on (
Smelter
Demon
) where i had that as i struggled with the boss so much.

But yeah, game is amazing and whilst i agree it's not without its flaws, i'd rather replay DS2 than 99% of other video games out there. Enjoy!

i struggled so much with him and was determined to solo it the path to him became completely clear of enemies.

Gbraga

I just got to Drangleic (killed the duo, on my way to Mirror Knight) and was shocked to see the
Executioner's horse
in the hall. I saw a message saying "be wary of horse" and I thought oh, it's a joke, or maybe they put
horses from the 3rd DLC there
, but nope.... damn.

I swear, the third DLC and this new enemy in Drangleic must have been placed there just so the
horse
keyword would be used more in messages... XD

The DLCs has tons of strength-oriented big-ass swords. The Butcher Knife is also pretty good since it's very fast.

I really disliked that change though, it doesn't fit there at all, the vanilla room was much better imo.

Important NPCs cant die, it a failsafe system to allow you to upgrade and buy esential stuff compared to DS1 "oops I killed the blacksmith" yet you lose the sidequest tied to them.

If you kill one it takes around 6 to 8 playtime hours to make a grave appears where they were.

Naavlan sidequest actually requires you to kill them too but there is another way to complete it without killing them anyway

I found this game impossibly hard, I quit after a few hours.

I think I wasn't understanding it, I couldn't even beat the first troll in the water.

They are actually the hardest enemy in the startet zone but can be easily ignoredd since they only guard some rare consumable items and the gender changer coffin

Neiteio

Important NPCs cant die, it a failsafe system to allow you to upgrade and buy esential stuff compared to DS1 "oops I killed the blacksmith" yet you lose the sidequest tied to them.

If you kill one it takes around 6 to 8 playtime hours to make a grave appears where they were.

Naavlan sidequest actually requires you to kill them too but there is another way to complete it without killing them anyway
If you scroll up and read my last post with the pictures, you'll see I got back a fallen NPC in just a couple hours. It might have to do with me beating the area boss and/or warping to many different bonfires.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah they all scale with dex. There are other katanas: a poison one (better when infused with poison, if you dual wield two of them you can poison enemies pretty fast), one with the iaito moveset from DkS1, a really long one but with shit durability (Washing Pole) and a couple of others with minor variants. One of them is an NG+ (or ascetic'ed) boss soul weapon and is pretty good.

From cant design katanas period. They are always broken bullshit.
Eh? Katanas are awesome, and fun. They're good but not broken-good. I mean, most enemies and bosses are more vulnerable to strike damage anyway, pure dex/slashing weapons are not even that strong in the game.

Yes, Sinh and the Ice Tigers damage your weapon faster than the other bosses.
That's weird. Is that new in Scholar? I don't recall that from the vanilla game at all.

I really disliked that change though, it doesn't fit there at all, the vanilla room was much better imo.
Eh, I don't know why Alonne archers would make "more sense" than the new enemies, and for me it was a pleasant "holy shit really?" surprise, so I can't say I mind.

Mandelbo

That's weird. Is that new in Scholar? I don't recall that from the vanilla game at all.

I fought Aava earlier on and my bandit axe was at risk by the time he had 1/4 HP left. I did the fight with the same weapon back in the vanilla game and had no issues, so it really ticked me off. I feel like if my weapon's durability can be depleted just from fighting the boss then something clearly isn't right - I mean, what am I being punished for? Landing hits? It just got in the way of the fight :/

There's no way I'm doing the other two pets if that's what fighting one of them is like!

Gbraga

Eh, I don't know why Alonne archers would make "more sense" than the new enemies, and for me it was a pleasant "holy shit really?" surprise, so I can't say I mind.

Hmmm, not the archers in particular (I even went "wait, what?" when I read you mentioning them), I was more thinking about the big dudes.

Top Bottom