• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FFXV aka why am i jumping when all I want to do is talk to you

Arkeband

Banned
No lies detected. I think FFXV really hoodwinked a lot of people, including reviewers, when it first came out, thinking that there must be 'something more' to the game, or somehow they had forgotten what a good FF game was and this was it, and it's pretty clear that's not the case. It's just kind of a sloppy mess, from beginning to end.

Zafir

Yeah, I think it's a very flawed game. Like I didn't totally dislike my time with it, but I can't say I felt it was a particularly great experience.

Overall it felt like they managed to create a third of a game, and then rushed to complete and polish it (which honestly falls a bit in line with the fact it was planned to be a trilogy). I could have accepted that basically very little happens in the first 8 or 9 chapters of the game while you're on the road trip if the pay off was worth it. It just wasn't though, following that you've just got under-developed plot shoved in your face, half of which you don't even see while you ride the train to endingsville.

Meanwhile, although the world is very pretty, it just isn't utilised at all. The Lucius region which you're in for most of the game is vast and nice to look at, but it's just full of poorly done side quests. Even Final Fantasy XIV does side quests better than it, and that's an MMO, a genre renowned for its throw away quests. Atlissia looks lovely, but it's only used in one chapter, and you don't even do much. Never mind the throw away places which you see very brief glimpses of as you ride the train. You'd think you'd get to see some of Tenebrae considering it's kind of the home to some of the more important characters, but nope. You see it in the distance.

As for the combat, well, it felt unsatisfying to me because the AI was utterly useless. It needed gambits or some kind of strategy menu to control the AI, or something. God forbid you're against any enemy that is off the ground, Gladio and Ignis just decide to stand around and look pretty. I get that they're melee users, but come on. It's a Final Fantasy game, jump and attack them. Hell do anything, SE should have given them something to do.

Overall it's a shame. There's a whole lot of potential with the story and world. I think it could have been amazing, the groundwork was there, but they just floundered it. Also honestly they did some interesting things here and there. I liked what they did with dungeons. There was a few annoyances here and there, like the clocktower or something (forget the name) dungeon which was a bit blergh. I wish it could have been a better game.

Avalanche

I was begging for the game to end by the last few chapters but damn it if I didn't love the 'road trip with the bros' vibe. A game that properly explored this theme with a compelling world and interesting mechanics would be incredible.

ryseing

I was begging for the game to end by the last few chapters but damn it if I didn't love the 'road trip with the bros' vibe. A game that properly explored this theme with a compelling world and interesting mechanics would be incredible.

Some complained about it, but I loved the Americana vibe that Duscae had combined with the fantasy elements. It was neat to have chocobos next to modern gas stations.

Squire

Banned
Some complained about it, but I loved the Americana vibe that Duscae had combined with the fantasy elements. It was neat to have chocobos next to modern gas stations.

I was OK for the Duscae demo, not the 30 hours you spend there in the full game. I think someone already compared it to the Mojave? Obviously it's not all desert, but yeah, most of it does feel like Fucking Nowhere, California.

theofficefan99

No lies detected. I think FFXV really hoodwinked a lot of people, including reviewers, when it first came out, thinking that there must be 'something more' to the game, or somehow they had forgotten what a good FF game was and this was it, and it's pretty clear that's not the case. It's just kind of a sloppy mess, from beginning to end.

Absolutely. The game deserves a Metacritic average in the 60's at the most. I don't care how much effort the animators put into the game's animations, that doesn't make a good game. It's a butchered, rushed, soulless project. I was under the impression that I was loving the game, spending dozens of hours doing quests and stuff. Then after Chapter 4 reality crashed down on me and I realized that, yup, that's all there is to this game outside of the few quality dungeons (and even then some of them are hampered by Tabata's signature questionable design decisions, like having a Level 55 boss in a dungeon full of Level 7 enemies, so it's either a fun dungeon with an impossible boss, or a boring dungeon with a boss you can manage to beat). It's just running around, in this dull, empty world, completing dull fetch quests, and then progressing through the insultingly bad main story whenever you're tired of collecting wax or taking selfies or whatever.

That's what bugs me the most.

It's completely devoid of soul. Outside of the optional dungeons (at least the few I did) I guess. And it shows.

But seriously think about it. How much does the game try to distract you from its flaws?

Exhibit A: Spoil major boss fight (with no actual story behind him presented within the game) and the timeskip (which ends up being literally nothing more than a cosmetic change) in the first 10 seconds.

Goal? To distract you from how utterly dull the opening, and the rest of the story, is.

Exhibit B: Let's cram in every possible FF song that we could use while you're driving your car!!!!1111!!!11!!!

Goal? To distract you from how boring it is to "drive" the car.

Exhibit C: Let's shove side quests in your face and encourage you to explore at every possible opportunity.

Goal? To distract you from realizing how pathetically short the main story is.

Exhibit D: Let's force random insanely high-level monsters to pop up at night and force you out of your car. Let's also force fast traveling to locations to only be possible if you've driven there. Let's also make certain hunts only available at certain times with no real way to manipulate the time of day. Let's also allow the player to only accept one hunt at a time.

Goal? To lengthen the game.

Exhibit E: All of Tabata's interviews.

Goal? To make it seem like every pants-on-head moronic flaw was some intentional artistic decision. You just don't get it!!!

Exhibit F: Let's throw in gigantic mobs of robot soldiers at you every 5 seconds.

Goal? To keep the player from realizing that the open world is COMPLETELY empty.

And early on they did things like throw in a Luna flashback by turning on the radio or having a convo with Prompto so the player can think that there's a bunch of potentially hidden cutscenes whilst exploring or doing optional things. When in fact those are the only instances of stuff like that happening in the entire game.

The whole game is smoke and mirrors. In reality it's a horrid sloppy mess trying to disguise itself as best as possible.

Cynar

We were all just happy to have a decent final Fantasy after the decade of awful ones with the ffxiii series. XV had its flaws but was lightyears beyond the issues of the lightning games at least.

ethomaz

Banned
We were all just happy to have a decent final Fantasy after the decade of awful ones with the ffxiii series. XV had its flaws but was lightyears beyond the issues of the lightning games at least.
I consider FFXIII a better FF than FFXV even both being crap.

So there is no way to be happy about that.

Gator86

So uhhh...does anyone like this game?
Sounds like it's Mass Effect Andromeda bad.

Final Fantasy is one of my favorite series of all time and Andromeda is maybe the buggiest game I've ever played. Both of those things are true and I still wound up playing Andromeda more than twice as long as FF15. FF15 isn't especially good.

chumbaks

Neo Member
I liked the idea of setting off on an adventure with your best friends (instead of meeting all your party members along the way). I also liked the main 4's interactions (most of the time). The world looks pretty at night, especially the ch4
titan fight with the fire everywhere
. And I thought the voice acting was usually decent and sometimes very good -- Noctis' and Prompto's VAs were my fave. Ignis was usually good too.

That's about all I liked from the game. I think the lack of background music while exploring is one of my biggest problems. It made an already barren world seem even more empty and pointlessly big. The combat got annoying really quickly,
especially when the Magitech soldiers start dropping on you every 10 seconds :(
. Trying to comprehend the story, especially without closely following all the background material like the anime and the movie, is unreasonably hard. I feel like even little chronological tweaks could have made it less obtuse (and less silly), so I can't say I really understand or appreciate many of the story decisions that were made.

theofficefan99

I was OK for the Duscae demo, not the 30 hours you spend there in the full game. I think someone already compared it to the Mojave? Obviously it's not all desert, but yeah, most of it does feel like Fucking Nowhere, California.

This. I was hoping it wasn't almost the entire experience. It doesn't help that the guys don't have a personality outside of their quirks. Well, Gladio doesn't have a personality, period. And I found Prompto to be insufferable. And it really doesn't feel like a group of friends, but rather 3 of Noctis' friends all forced to be together. This is supposed to carry the whole game together, along with the dullest of dull real-life environments? Yeah right.

Turin

Banned
I consider FFXIII a better FF than FFXV even both being crap.

So there is no way to be happy about that.

It is? I only made it through 8 hours in XIII before quitting. I might have been able to deal with the closter-phobia if the characters weren't so insufferable. The story seemed so fucking stupid, even compared the utter shlock that is XV.

It was almost the opposite of what I want from an FF. The only thing redeemable was the music and kinda good combat after 40 hours? Yeesh.

(And no, this is not meant to be a defense of XV in any way.)

Ffxiii wasn't even that bad, at least I felt like I got a complete game even if it didn't make much sense in the end.

Xii-2 and 3 were fun games, too.

Rappy

It's honestly AAA garbage at its worst with a huge apologist movement. I think some people felt so burned by FFXIII they're latching on to nearly anything.

FFXVs biggest achievement is that it released; Not that it's finished, but that it is technically sold in a box on store shelves.
Holy shit. Did Tabata/FFXV ruin your life? Every single post of yours about XV is you shitting on the game, even before anyone had even played it. And now anyone who likes the game is just an apologist? If people were burned by XIII why would they latch onto a series they were burned from?

theofficefan99

Ffxiii wasn't even that bad, at least I felt like I got a complete game even if it didn't make much sense in the end.

Xii-2 and 3 were fun games, too.

Personally, I really like XIII despite its glaring flaws. Outstanding production values, state-of-the-art CGI, fun and unique battle system (IMO of course), great soundtrack, and a super super intriguing world and lore. I also like the unique party dynamic and plot, despite hating the obnoxious Snow/Hope arc and the fact that the finale was horribly written.

XIII-2... I'm willing to bet money that they based the game off of a literal checklist of peoples' complaints of XIII, and then addressed those complaints in the most half-assed manner possible. Story was also really insulting. It wasn't all bad, though, and the soundtrack has some excellent tracks.

As for Lightning Returns, well, it's easily the worst in the entire series for me along with Type-0. And then XV isn't far behind at all.

PSX2007

Neo Member
Literally just came here to start a LTTP thread.

Finally started playing this over the weekend. I've played, beaten, and enjoyed every single player FF game since 7.

But I can't get past the 4 hours I've put into this:

1) Lame side quests, so the game is essentially a linear bore unless you engage in said side quests
2) Agree with whoever said the realistic design doesn't feel like FF
3) Combat system sucks -- seems I basically just hold L2 and R2, and I beat enemies without thought (I'm in Controller Type C on PS4).
4) Story is inexplicable. Like WTF is going on.

I was going to ask whether I should continue playing. After reading reviews and comments, answer is no. But I needed that validation, after enjoying the series thus far.

The game is a freaking hot mess. Huge disappointment.

I also I'll never use understand why the controls for getting off of a Chocobo are the opposite of getting off the Regalia. Why can't. It's use the same button for dismount? More than once I got off by mistake in one of these.

Other than that FFXV was a very enjoyable, but flawed, experience.

Squire

Banned
Holy shit. Did Tabata/FFXV ruin your life? Every single post of yours about XV is you shitting on the game, even before anyone had even played it. And now anyone who likes the game is just an apologist? If people were burned by XIII why would they latch onto a series they were burned from?

This is so silly a claim I won't even ask you to quantify it.

tribal24

Banned
Literally just came here to start a LTTP thread.

Finally started playing this over the weekend. I've played, beaten, and enjoyed every single player FF game since 7.

But I can't get past the 4 hours I've put into this:

1) Lame side quests, so the game is essentially a linear bore unless you engage in said side quests
2) Agree with whoever said the realistic design doesn't feel like FF
3) Combat system sucks -- seems I basically just hold L2 and R2, and I beat enemies without thought (I'm in Controller Type C on PS4).
4) Story is inexplicable. Like WTF is going on.

I was going to ask whether I should continue playing. After reading reviews and comments, answer is no. But I needed that validation, after enjoying the series thus far.

The game is a freaking hot mess. Huge disappointment.

agreed i just got finished playing it literally few minutes ago i played 7 hours so far. I literally think its to much. i agree with everything you said this game is unfinished and definitely not the original vision for Versus.

theofficefan99

agreed i just got finished playing it literally few minutes ago i played 7 hours so far. I literally think its to much. i agree with everything you said this game is unfinished and definitely not the original vision for Versus.

inb4 "get over it!!! it was just a concept" even though the entirety of XV's marketing relied on Versus material/concepts and hype when it wasn't trying to come off as a GTA WRPG.

I think plenty liked it at first but after beating or stopping and thinking about it for some time. It sets in that "hmm this wasn't all that great." I'm definitely in that camp.

The only part of the game I liked was the train attack sequence personally. It's one of the few moments that stuck with me and I wanted to be bigger. But the whole games first chapter, then final 3 or 4 are the only ones with real plot elements and the rest of the game is open world for very little justified reason other than, thats what everyone else has done. Sinks even further that the open world idea is abandoned and we get a tighter more interesting experience after it... sort of.

Not to mention Square Enix weird obsession with this game and continuing to shove it down our throats. Least with 13 we were getting different games while Queen Lightning was everywhere.

Also don't think Tabata is solely to blame for this games problems. I think its clear this game had issues since inception.

Kumomeme

The game indeed had lot of flaw ...but it not all bad too
But for prespective of a 'final fantasy' game,it really had lot to say plus the high standard bar that already being set in the franchise

Put aside the game design issue,biggest achievement for square is they finally manage to make an AAA modern tech open world final fantasy game
They had been struggling for this since ps360 era.FFXIII questionable game design in the game due to struggle to keep up with hd era game development which is lot of japanese developers also struggled for.As i know,main issue like linear gameplay,no town available is due to the development struggle to develop game with all requires features into that time standard.They seems struggled to create game like how they used to do during ps2 era and unlike how monolithsoft build up Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii,they tend to targeting high visual fidelity possible might be another reason why they struggling that moment.
Before they even mentioning multiple cost and time required more than FFXIII does is the reason why they cant do FFVII remake before.
But now,with FFXV and new game engine they finally pass the obstacle..but then the game design itself had several issue

I like to see what can they do for next though..surely they will improve and fix necessary things(hopefully)
Even CDPR's The Witcher 1 and 2 face lot of critism and they nailed it for third sequel.Third might be the charm instead.
Hope they wont screw up though

For combat,it had potential but had no depth at all and what frustrate me much is that it had no reward for git gud.No satisfaction for who getting better of the combat system that can translate it into battle.The battle lack of tactical,as each time we just charging head on the enemy.Not much any effect on the battle gained from several auto-character co-op action.Just fancy stunt.Nothing much usefull to turn tide the battle or encourage player to plan their steps and take advantages of the situation.Each time i feel just running around,button mashing and just follow the situation unfold without be able to somehow control the battle progress.The combat should encourage player to try different approach not just charging head on each time

I agree with most of your sentiments OP. I went in expecting this huge epic story with interesting characters and left feeling disappointed by the majority of what the game had to offer. Which outside of all of those hunts, wasn't really much. I know a good portion of gaf loves the game, but those problems are too much for me to give it a pass just because it's coming off of the whole XIII trilogy.

Slater

Banned
inb4 "get over it!!! it was just a concept" even though the entirety of XV's marketing relied on Versus material/concepts and hype when it wasn't trying to come off as a GTA WRPG.

Uhhhhhhhh did it?

The Omen trailer didn't reference Versus, neither did either Dawn Trailer, or Brotherhood or any of the 3 demo's. Or literally anything shown at Uncovered.

You can accuse it of cut content, be we literally never saw anything from Versus again after Nomura got axed.

Played it before chapter 13 was patched, though apparently that's only post game?
That and the leviathan boss thing being unbeatable on 2 attempts because the game bugged out were some of the worst experiences from a big title in recent memory.

Its a weird case of being worth playing for what it does do really well

God no. It's fun. It has its share of haters (and for very good reasons) but there are also a lot who enjoyed the game. I did, and it's one of my GOTY last year, and this while being pissed off at some points of the game because of the horrible storytelling because I enjoyed the gameplay a lot. Dungeons for example, were a highpoint.

theofficefan99

Also don't think Tabata is solely to blame for this games problems. I think its clear this game had issues since inception.

Yes it's true that the game has experienced tons of problems but outside of SE's management that pushed Luminous and an end-of-2016 release date, Tabata is definitely the problem.

He's the one that pushed the open world, and told his staff that it's "ok if they fail." He also wanted the battle system to be the way it is because he's "getting old and wants to be able to enjoy his own game." He also green-lit Nozue's Kingsglaive idea, even though it was quite obviously a horrendous idea that would obviously backfire. Tabata also scrapped tons of scenes (and characters) that were shown after E3 2013. Even stuff from less than a year before the game's release was scrapped. Tabata is the one that directed the game with zero vision. Tabata also thought hiring someone whose only experience with writing is fanfiction and Dissidia as the scenario writer for a mainline FF title was a good idea.

The proven-accurate leaker also stated they were making changes to the script mere months before release.... for a mainline title in a game series that prides itself on its main story content and its production values.

And the stuff like only being able to accept one hunt at a time? Tons of trash-tier content? A horribly-written story that is all over the place and, to add insult to injury, cannot be fully experienced by just normally playing the game? 99% of the story being presented with zero cinematic flair? Tabata's magic touch, baby.

It's clear he had no idea what he was doing.

I remember before the game came out and I was questioning the depth of your party control and customization and quite a few of the fervent defenders assured me there would be a deep, and worthwhile gambit system. LOL.

Every game I played this year has made me realize how bad 15 was. How did SE fuck this up so bad.

HeelPower

Its simply a bad game.
The game has a couple good things :

1)Some monsters look nice

2)The draw distance in Duscae

3)I like Noct's hair

4) The Lighting can look nice.

FFXV doesn't even quite deliver on the sheen/flash factor that XIII did back when it released.

Slater

Banned
Yes it's true that the game has experienced tons of problems but outside of SE's management that pushed Luminous and an end-of-2016 release date, Tabata is definitely the problem.

He's the one that pushed the open world, and told his staff that it's "ok if they fail." He also wanted the battle system to be the way it is because he's "getting old and wants to be able to enjoy his own game." He also green-lit Nozue's Kingsglaive idea, even though it was quite obviously a horrendous idea that would obviously backfire. Tabata also scrapped tons of scenes (and characters) that were shown after E3 2013. Even stuff from less than a year before the game's release was scrapped. Tabata is the one that directed the game with zero vision. Tabata also thought hiring someone whose only experience with writing is fanfiction and Dissidia as the scenario writer for a mainline FF title was a good idea.

The proven-accurate leaker also stated they were making changes to the script mere months before release.... for a mainline title in a game series that prides itself on its main story content and its production values.

And the stuff like only being able to accept one hunt at a time? Tons of trash-tier content? A horribly-written story that is all over the place and cannot be understood by just normally playing the game? Tabata's magic touch, baby.

It's clear he had no idea what he was doing.

Last thing, but both of those things were still there with Nomura, he wanted a seamless open world and was having the story rewritten constantly. Like we have direct quotes from himself and Roberto.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4...nal-fantasy-versus-13-became-final-fantasy-15

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/12/artist-roberto-ferrari-speaks-designs-final-fantasy-xv/

Don't act like he just randomly caused those issues, they were already there

HeelPower

FFXV didn't ruin my life ,but it completely changed my perspective on games and FF in general.

FFXIII sequels + FFXV completely confirm that the series is staunchly mediocre at this point.

Persona 5/Witcher 3 completely demolish any credibility FF had.

Squire

Banned
Its simply a bad game.
The game has a couple good things :

1)Some monsters look nice

2)The draw distance in Duscae

3)I like Noct's hair

4) The Lighting can look nice.

FFXV doesn't even quite deliver on the sheen/flash factor that XIII did back when it released.

Tpyally. Increasingly SEs focusing in style rather than substance, but even just restricted to that XV is pretty flaccid.

royox

At least FFXIII told you the whole plot and lore ingame and the characters had a logical development.

FFXV? "Lol Noct, your dad died...what kind of pics you want me to take?"

theofficefan99

Uhhhhhhhh did it?

The Omen trailer didn't reference Versus, neither did either Dawn Trailer, or Brotherhood or any of the 3 demo's. Or literally anything shown at Uncovered.

You can accuse it of cut content, be we literally never saw anything from Versus again after Nomura got axed.

The Omen trailer literally does not resemble the game in any way, nor is it possible. The demon dog is not even part of the game in any way, shape, or form. Fan theories pulled from their asses don't count as explanations. It's misleading. It doesn't resemble the final product at all outside of having some of the same locations and characters. The tone is obviously more reminiscent of stuff from pre-2015.

Dawn trailers focused on the bond between Noctis and Regis, a concept carried over from Nomura's days. What did we get in the game? Outside of the opening, we had a literal 10-second flashback of kid Noctis running up to Regis. That's it.

Brotherhood and the 3 demos I don't count as marketing material. Brotherhood is simply an extension of the story (that is arguably mandatory to get the full experience) and the demos are... demos of gameplay, so they're irrelevant to this conversation.

Outside of Uncovered, the only non-Versus reliant and non-GTA-esque trailers were TGS 2016 and Judgment (which spoiled the whole game). That means that the only accurate trailers for the game were shown within 6 months of its initial release date, when the marketing started December 2014. The Dawn trailers, which were meant as the, like, 3rd reset of the game's marketing campaign, had 0% of the footage included in the game. Unless you count the scene of Luna pushing a gun away, which was obviously shoehorned in and completely embarrassing and nonsensical.

The game's marketing was misleading. Please don't try to say otherwise. Almost nothing from 2013-March 30, 2016 is in the game. And the trailer they relied on for hype at launch also had nothing to do with the game.

FFXV didn't ruin my life ,but it completely changed my perspective on games and FF in general.

FFXIII sequels + FFXV completely confirm that the series is staunchly mediocre at this point.

Persona 5/Witcher 3 completely demolish any credibility FF had.

Yup. Same here. FF now exists in the Tales/Star Ocean tier of games for me.

Much more excited about newer series like Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni now. And of course DQ, Persona and SMT now that they're moving back to consoles.

Slater

Banned

Not what I'm saying, I am saying that nothing post Nomura and E3 2013 used actual Versus material in the marketing like you claimed, even the massive amount of shit cut wasn't Versus stuff shown. So you are wrong to claim it was the main thrust of the marketing we got.

Personally, I really like XIII despite its glaring flaws. Outstanding production values, state-of-the-art CGI, fun and unique battle system (IMO of course), great soundtrack, and a super super intriguing world and lore. I also like the unique party dynamic and plot, despite hating the obnoxious Snow/Hope arc and the fact that the finale was horribly written.

XIII-2... I'm willing to bet money that they based the game off of a literal checklist of peoples' complaints of XIII, and then addressed those complaints in the most half-assed manner possible. Story was also really insulting. It wasn't all bad, though, and the soundtrack has some excellent tracks.

As for Lightning Returns, well, it's easily the worst in the entire series for me along with Type-0. And then XV isn't far behind at all.

I agree with your assessment here, was really pointing out that the XIII series felt more complete, even if the end products themselves weren't very good.

theofficefan99

Last thing, but both of those things were still there with Nomura, he wanted a seamless open world and was having the story rewritten constantly. Like we have direct quotes from himself and Roberto.

https://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4...nal-fantasy-versus-13-became-final-fantasy-15

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/12/artist-roberto-ferrari-speaks-designs-final-fantasy-xv/

Don't act like he just randomly caused those issues, they were already there

Nomura never says "Open World" in that interview, and no don't tell me that's what he meant. I highly doubt he aimed for the WRPG Open World structure that Tabata used.

Secondly, that doesn't excuse the fact that these constant rewrites continued with Tabata. A few months before release is completely unacceptable and an obvious showcase of incompetence and disorganization, along with making the main story and its content his last priority.

Not what I'm saying, I am saying that nothing post Nomura and E3 2013 used actual Versus material in the marketing like you claimed, even the massive amount of shit cut wasn't Versus stuff shown. So you are wrong to claim it was the main thrust of the marketing we got.

False. Jump Festa, which was December 2014, still showed Versus XIII/XV E3 2013 footage. Yes, saying all non-GTA trailers were Versus-based is an exaggeration. A much more accurate way to represent my point is to just say that the marketing was misleading, as nothing before March 31, 2016 represents the final product. And the trailer they relied on for hype at launch was more in-line with Versus XIII atmosphere and had nothing to do with the game.

Rymuth

OP, about the lore---it's not you, it's the Fabula Nova Crystallis universe that's been the mainstay since FFXIII

The sooner they ditch FNC, the better

FinalAres

The game is super great. I've jumped in recently too.

I found the same things annoying as you did for the first 3 chapters, up until showing Iris lestallum really. But from then on the pacing really improves, and the driving stops being an annoyance, and becomes part of what makes the game good.

I can understand the annoyance at the jankiness, I also wondered why mass effect got such flack for animations whereas that didn't really happen for Ffxv. However all in all Ffxv is a really really great game. It's got a lot of problems, but it's also got a lot of great stuff that is frankly better than any other game out there (characters, interactions, design).

Currently doing a second playthrough, I absolutely love it. Great characters, world, combat, music... Mixing modern elements with fantasy is just great. Also liked Kingsglaive. Great popcorn movie.

Story is a bit nonsensical and poorly told, I agree. But I don't mind looking for all the story bits and piecing them together. Type-0 had many of the same design choices and I loved that game too.

RangerX

Banned
I agree with most of your issues OP. The narrative is jumbled nonsense and the combat became spamming potions by the end. Also Fuck Ignis and his car.

The game is clearly a mass of good ideas, bad execution, half thought plans, and scheduling. I think it's release was needed, even in the state it came in though. Meaning that I doubt that even with a year more dev time it would have been much better without rethinking and remaking a lot of the core design elements.

If I were SE, I'd make all the improvements possible in these next two DLC patches, release a competent PC port and stop talking about it.

But I guarantee you, Notis is the new Lightning, so get used to it. It is interesting though because I don't hate this game, I actually have a lot of hope that the improvements they want to make in the next... who knows amount of time and would love to do a second playthrough once its "done" but I have little hope they can change the pacing issues it has in its open world elements.

Slater

Banned
Eh Noctis isn't going to get a trilogy of games and is much more popular the Lightning in the west.

He will show up in NX and maybe a XIV event and KH3 but he will never hog the mind share of FF like Light did, especially if Remake ever gets its shit together

Just throwing my support in with the haters.

Yeah, we're bitter. But the game sucks, so we have a good reason to be bitter.

It's a solid 4/10. Fun at times, pretty, but absolutely no substance, almost no story, terrible combat, hilariously imbalanced pacing, and Tabata's signature shitty design decisions. How he got to direct this game after the terrible type-0, I'll never know.

I've liked every main FF game, even Lightning Returns, kinda. I am the biggest FF apologist I know. And I hated XV.

Mijdax

Banned
It's honestly AAA garbage at its worst with a huge apologist movement. I think some people felt so burned by FFXIII they're latching on to nearly anything.

FFXVs biggest achievement is that it released; Not that it's finished, but that it is technically sold in a box on store shelves.

I remember that your beloved ffxii was also very bad recieved, even by me but not because it was bad, it was because people did not accept that the series is not standing still. The only reason why there are 15 mainline titles with more to come. So calling it garbage only shows me that you were not ready for changes in the series yet. FFXV was brilliant and it did the series more justice that you want to give it credit.

Top Bottom