• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FFXV aka why am i jumping when all I want to do is talk to you

So uhhh...does anyone like this game?
Sounds like it's Mass Effect Andromeda bad.

I actually really like FFXV. It has a gorgeous world with a lot of implied lore that warrants exploring for exploration sake, few games manage to do this well without offering tangible incentives. The side quests are admittedly pretty bad, awful even. They were just simply "go here collect that kill x" with little story. The combat seems pretty divisive but I found it to be great. Exciting and satisfying. It had some great boss encounters too. The story is pretty fodder and most of the characters are bland as fuck but the game is all about you and your bros and it does a great job of selling that bond. Even tho Noctis is a supreme fuckboy (what FF protagonist isn't tho?), your bros are all extremely endearing. The story actually comes to an outstanding conclusion and final fight, in contrast to how bad it is for the majority of the game.

It's a mess of game at times but it's also pretty good mess. Not really sure if I can explain it better than that.

Prismo

Neo Member
Wow, almost bought this on a whim during the recent sale. Kind of glad I exercised some self control after reading this thread.

Dunkley

I found it to be an okay game. Fun to play, fantastic music, confusing as heck story all culminating in an ending that fails to tie up all its' plot threads but at least manages to be satisfying.

FFXIV it ain't writing wise, definitely, but so wasn't FFXIII and FFXII. As far as it stands on its' own, I'd say it's okay. Enjoyable on sale pickup, wouldn't pay full price for it if I hadn't done so already at launch.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
FFXV was brilliant and it did the series more justice that you want to give it credit.

There's nothing "brilliant" about it. It's a broken, unfinished mess with half a story, dated visuals, and a dead, empty world that exists only to give you the illusion of scope in a game that only has about three things for you to do.

I mean, like what you like, I sure like my fair share of mediocre-to-crappy games. But the way FF15 fans try to make it into something it is clearly, blatantly not is just baffling. I can't even imagine how low someone's standards would have to be to find FF15 satisfying on a macro level as a $60 purchase. It's just not acceptable by the standards of modern JRPGs. Just because it's arguably more visually impressive at first glance compared to its lower budgeted JRPG contemporaries doesn't make it better than them. In a world with Trails in the Sky and the Xenoblade games seeing regular releases, FF15 should be an embarrassment to everyone involved.

I'm in this exact scenario. After playing persona 5 twice I needed something else. Finally got to FF15 after so long. It doesn't really feel like a final fantasy game for some reason, just feels like an open world game. It's not very good though in terms of quests. And there's a lot of dumb problems in terms of QOL.
Like not being able to accept multiple hunts, and every side quest just being collect blah blah blah.

Also the driving is pretty boring and most of the time I just find myself trying to fast travel. I'm going to finish it though, waited to damn long (like ten years I think) for this :'v

Squire

Banned
I remember that your beloved ffxii was also very bad recieved, even by me but not because it was bad, it was because people did not accept that the series is not standing still. The only reason why there are 15 mainline titles with more to come. So calling it garbage only shows me that you were not ready for changes in the series yet. FFXV was brilliant and it did the series more justice that you want to give it credit.

You didn't just get off on the wrong foot and get carried away, you tripped over both feet and broke your legs rolling down a hill.

"Beloved FFXII?" From where do you draw that conclusion? Ashe being my avatar? I'm excited for the remaster. I do like FFXII though (well, I do now), but that has nothing to do with my dislike of XV.

I'm willing to except every FF on its own terms because, yeah, establishing their own identity is a big part of what makes each of the good games in the series, well, good games. Even X-2 understood that and that's an actual direct sequel.

I also have no issue with the series evolving. Change is (or can be) great, but the games still need to be, like, you know, good video games. I'm not giving SE brownie points for doing a mediocre open-world game when a bunch of their competitors figured out how to do that fairly reliably years ago.

XV sucks. It's not good, it's not finished, and what they're adding to it isn't making it much better. But it's all on XV. It's got nothing to do with FFXII, IX, II, V, XIV, or Chocobo's Dungeon.

For all the "you're a hater" posts no ones ever pointed out a criticism of mine that's unfair. Because they can't. I'm not asking SE to make an FF that's "like FF(insert number I like)", I'm asking them to make a good one. They didn't. Period.

theofficefan99

I remember that your beloved ffxii was also very bad recieved, even by me but not because it was bad, it was because people did not accept that the series is not standing still. The only reason why there are 15 mainline titles with more to come. So calling it garbage only shows me that you were not ready for changes in the series yet. FFXV was brilliant and it did the series more justice that you want to give it credit.

One of the most delusional things I've ever read.

XII was controversial among the fanbase at first, if anything. But it still had a lot of people who loved it, and it was critically very well-received, too.

XV is not "brilliant" in any way. Don't kid yourself. It's soulless garbage and it's surprising how some people can't see it. Someone on here linked to a video that called FFXV a "junk food" game. That's exactly what XV is. Junk food. If you went into the game with zero expectations, or expected a road-trip that feels like a drive through a park full of product placement with lots of warping, then you'll probably like it.

Unless XV's future updates offer MASSIVE changes, its reception will only get worse over time. Because it tried so hard to be flavor-of-the-month and to fit in, only to get completely demolished by pretty much all other AAA games. I'm pretty sure most people who liked it completely forgot about it, because that's the type of crowd it tried to appeal to (whilst retaining the atrocious character designs of the main cast that almost everyone makes fun of). The game has no identity other than trying to be a copycat and failing miserably. Only reason why reception was somewhat positive for like, a week, was because most people were still under the impression that there's way more to the "Open World." That, or, they didn't want to accept that the game they waited for was a turd.

Mijdax

Banned
There's nothing "brilliant" about it. It's a broken, unfinished mess with half a story, dated visuals, and a dead, empty world that exists only to give you the illusion of scope in a game that only has about three things for you to do.

I didn't mean that the whole game was brilliant, it had its faults but saying that nothing was brilliant about it is simply a lie. Something most people agree is that the soundtrack was brilliant. I and many others think that the road trip feeling was brilliant. I think that the ending was brilliant and the antagonist was brilliant. The dungeons were also really well designed and mostly unique.

Sure, you can hate it as much as you like but many people liked FFXV, including me and we have enough reason to do so. Your points are partly valid but you can find negative points in every game in order to make the game look stupid.

XII was controversial among the fanbase at first, if anything. But it still had a lot of people who loved it, and it was critically very well-received, too.

Funny enough, if you switch out XII with XV its also true. Same situation with XV. Was critically well received and controversal among the fanbase. Many People like XV though. Ney-Sayers are only a small but loud group of people who are angry that it hasnt become the versus 13 they wanted

John Paul v2

Neo Member
I put 12 hours into FFXV before calling it quits. The only explanation I have for it is that the development leads fundamentally do not understand why people play video games.

LotusHD

Banned
Ney-Sayers are only a small but loud group of people who are angry that it hasnt become the versus 13 they wanted

Pretty reductive to say lol, they just wanted a good game. Hell I didn't even know about Versus 13, I only got hip to XV the year it came out, liked what I saw. Didn't like what I played though.

Slater

Banned
For all the "you're a hater" posts no ones ever pointed out a criticism of mine that's unfair.

Comparing Tabata to a sociopath was pretty unfair and weirdly personal :p

But then again people acting like the man is some diabolical schemer who stole the project and sniffs his own farts is a weirdly common opinion some people have of a man who perpetually looked like he was actually dying from the stress during development and had a family bring to work day cause his team basically stopped having a personal life outside shopping the game. Very sociopathic action right there, :pp

theofficefan99

Funny enough, if you switch out XII with XV its also true. Same situation with XV. Was critically well received and controversal among the fanbase. Many People like XV though. Ney-Sayers are only a small but loud group of people who are angry that it hasnt become the versus 13 they wanted

Comparing XII's reception and quality to XV's is completely laughable and you know it isn't true. If anything XV's reception has gotten worse and worse after release.

XV's problem isn't that it's different. It's that it fucking sucks, unless you have no standards.

I put 12 hours into FFXV before calling it quits. The only explanation I have for it is that the development leads fundamentally do not understand why people play video games.

To be fair there's a decent amount of people who just play games to dick around and waste time. They don't care about a quality, meaningful experience. And that's exactly the type of person XV caters to.

Mijdax

Banned
Pretty reductive to say lol, they just wanted a good game. Hell I didn't even know about Versus 13, I only got hip to XV the year it came out, liked what I saw. Didn't like what I played though.

Unfortunate. Not everyone has to like it so everything is fine. And you know what the good thing is about FF? The next one will be totally different again.

Comparing XII's reception and quality to XV's is completely laughable and you know it isn't true. If anything XV's reception has gotten worse and worse after release.

XV's problem isn't that it's different. It's that it fucking sucks, unless you have no standards.

To be fair there's a decent amount of people who just play games to dick around and waste time. They don't care about a quality, meaningful experience. And that's exactly the type of person XV caters to.

I bet you're a hit at parties

Hektor

It's garbage because it is garbage.

The sidequest design is a one of the worst ive ever seen in a videogame, basically none of them have any form of an attempt at a narrative or design, 99% of them are the worst kind of fetch quest that even actual mmos are better at nowadays

The combat has no design going for it either, the mp bar literally exist only for the sake of having this bar, even though it serves no purpose in the actual game as there are only two activities that drain from it, teleporting which ironically also fills the mpbar to its fullest if you port to the only points actually worth porting to and dodging, which is required because dodging is a move that dodges absolutely everything as long as you hold the button pressed. The reason why that is is because an actual proper dodge move would require encounter design and good enemy animations of which the game got none.

If you are surrounded by enemies it is literally impossible to actually pay attention to them proper and dodge on time as the enemies to not have any form of telegraphing their attacks, nor do you as a player have any form of actually getting a proper overview of the entire battlefield.

The camping mechanic introduced early on in the tutorial also happens to be entirely pointless as it is a waste of xp compared to going into a hotel.

The narrative is incredibly disjointed, important characters have barely any screen time, characters open and drop plot lines like ugly babies, a vast amount of story happen off screen while you are collecting diamonds for dino and similar badly designed fetch quest just for characters to simply exposition drop the most important shit to you.

The world is entirely empty and barren, other than a handful of optional dungeons, there's no content to find in it, the best thing are music cds with past FF osts to buy in gastations.

The pacing of the game is all over the place, with absolute low points like the entire
car chase with ardyn
being drawn out to ridiculous length just to rush out incredibly big and important stuff like
reuniting with your Bros after many years of exile
like the game is about to die.

The bossfights in the game are hilariously bad, not only do your party members run into every instakill aoe like lemmings, more often than not you can't actually play them proper at all as the game forces you to pay attention to one of two things even tho both things are required like every time
Arena does her moon jump spearfall
or you simply glitch into the enemy like with
the leviathan whenever you get to close

The skill system as well is terribly designed as a good ton of skills you won't be able to get outside of grinding these aforementioned terrible fetch quest, all these skills that require 999 skill points are simply impossible to get on a normal playthrough as I ended my 40hour one, of which 20 hours where spent doing these shitty quests in the false hope it might pay out sometime, with 1800 points spent total despite aleady skilling all the abilities that give you even more skill points very early on.

You spent multiple hours worth of playing in a barely interactive car while listening to music from different, better games.

That the wait mode exists and how it works just proves in a nutshell that the team behind the game had no proper vision of the game at all.

The issue isn't that people aren't able to accept changes, people aren't clinging to atb combat - a bubble that was bursted over a decade ago - nor are they narrow minded idiots, the simple reality is that most people think it's a garbage game because it is one and that the most people here on gaf that like it have a hard time articulating arguments against any form of criticism other than "great game! I liked it! Flashy combat! Chococos!" And ad hominens about how "people just cant deal with how different it is" is testimony of that.

I love Final Fantasy XV. On my first playthrough I made sure to collect all the 13 Royal Arms before the last fight and I think that's the way we're supposed to play the game. In my opinion, the optional dungeons shouldn't be optional.

I'm pretty sure some of the opinions regarding the difficulty and lenght of the game would be quite different, especially after completing the Costlemark Tower and the sewers dungeon.

LotusHD

Banned
Unfortunate. Not everyone has to like it so everything is fine. And you know what the good thing is about FF? The next one will be totally different again.

As my first entry to FF (Yea, I know lol), it's a terrible first impression, that's for sure. That said, I'm aware of the games that have a positive consensus, and I'm still interested in the FF7 remake and whatever the next entry will be.

But this game? Def. putting it behind me unless all of the updates put together somehow mix things up lol

I love Final Fantasy XV. On my first playthrough I made sure to collect all the 13 Royal Arms before the last fight and I think that's the way we're supposed to play the game. In my opinion, the optional dungeons shouldn't be optional.

I'm pretty sure some of the opinions regarding the difficulty and lenght of the game would be quite different, especially after completing the Costlemark Tower and the sewers dungeon.

I did that too, but meh, game sure as hell makes it feel meaningless. No cute extra cutscene, and the boss was already easy enough as it is.

I really loved the game, it was a fun ride. It has flaws in storytelling (story is fine) and some scenes are badly directed / out of place, side quests aren't really inspiring but the world is beautiful, soundtrack is awesome, cast is lovable and ending is maybe the best in the series. I really loved the roadtrip aspect of the game. As for the combat, I don't get the hate, no game in this series has good combat, its ok at best. FFXV is in the OK zone, its amazing and fun at the start but flaws get apparent later on when you cant command your party to run away from aoe etc.

Easily my favorite game of 2016, even tho year was kind of bad in that regard. Can't wait to play it again after they patch all coming content, maybe we get Directors Cut in 2018.

As my first entry to FF (Yea, I know lol), it's a terrible first impression, that's for sure. That said, I'm aware of the games that have a positive consensus, and I'm still interested in the FF7 remake and whatever the next entry will be.

But this game? Def. putting it behind me unless all of the updates put together somehow mix things up lol

You should try PS1 versions, I think they are the most classic ones.

Yeah this being your first ff game is tragic af. You should consider the XII remaster next month. Vastly superior game.

Meh, it takes forever to get me into old games, probably won't.

Oh, it's next month? Hmm, maybe. I just bought ARMS and the KH remix though, so perhaps if I'm done with the latter by then.

Yup. It's the Zodiac version too so it has a much better job system and some pretty substantial changes that most people in the west didn't get to experience.

Squire

Banned
Comparing Tabata to a sociopath was pretty unfair and weirdly personal :p

But then again people acting like the man is some diabolical schemer who stole the project and sniffs his own farts is a weirdly common opinion some people have of a man who perpetually looked like he was actually dying from the stress during development and had a family bring to work day cause his team basically stopped having a personal life outside shopping the game. Very sociopathic action right there, :pp

I was talking about criticisms leveled at the game itself. You have a point, but I'm surprised people took that so seriously and I stand by my own point: That Tabata has not been consistent in how he's represented the game in interviews adds insult to a pretty bad injury.

Again, first it's going to be the best story since VII, then, post release, the narrative was always supposed to be that thin, actually. I never took his lip service as any more than just that, but that just makes how patronizing it was even more obvious.

Caronte

Only mainline FF I have never played. I keep seeing it for cheap and it still doesn't interest me. I had a bad opinion of it before it came out and then after seeing what a lot of people said about the game I'm not really in the mood for it.

Jumeira

Banned
I got bored by chapter 4, was not having fun and the art is atrocious, story was a mess. This was my first FF since 11, I had since lost faith with JRPGs but decided to give it another shot, but there were so many inconsistencies that irked me. Why was a prince fetching potatoes or beef cutlets, why was he not recognised in his own realm? It's the reason why I'm nervous about Persona, there are elements I find hard to overlook that the rest are perfectly fine to ignore. When a story is inconsistent with its rules then I feel like it's a pointless exercise.

FinalAres

It isn't even that though. It's "wahh why do you hate the game I love" It's always been that.

Having read this thread, you're definitely being one of the most aggressive, so I don't see how you can think what you're saying is true.

Final Fantasy XV is a fine game. Its got some flaws and depending on the taste of the individual those flaws are going to irritate some people more than others. Ultimately FFXV has done well and has had a positive reaction. I don't see why you can't just be happy for the people who do like it.

EDIT: Just literally seeing Iris' moogle plush now. What the fuck.

Started the game a week ago (i'm a big psx era FF fan), having the exact same problem with the x button :-D
I purchased the game during the psn store price, 14 euro's, which allowed myself to step in the game somewhat different. I already told myself not to engage any side-quests, because i completely burned out by them in AAA games. Just enjoying the ride (pun intended), doing a little sightseeing... see what will happen with this game as i have no high expectations.

Edit: psn store price error

FinalAres

Started the game a week ago (i'm a big psx era FF fan), having the exact same problem with the x button :-D
I purchased the game during the psn store price, 14 euro's, which allowed myself to step in the game somewhat different. I already told myself not to engage any side-quests, because i completely burned out by them in AAA games. Just enjoying the ride (pun intended), doing a little sightseeing… see what will happen with this game as i have no high expectations.

The sidequests are ATROCIOUS. I'm someone that really enjoyed the sidequests of FFXIV despite being fetch quests because they did world building. The sidequests in this add nothing except something else to tick off. Theres someone looking for dog tags, someone wanting photos, someone wanting precious stones. All repeated over and over again, and none of them tell you anything about the world.

nOoblet16

Someone here actually said this game has "dated visuals". You sir have no idea what the heck yous re talking about because "dated" is the exact opposite word to use for FFXV's visuals. The game's graphical techniques are among the best overall with absolutely amazing lighting and materials. The character animations are probably the best out of any game out there right now.

Mijdax

Banned
It's garbage because it is garbage.

The sidequest design is a one of the worst ive ever seen in a videogame, basically none of them have any form of an attempt at a narrative or design, 99% of them are the worst kind of fetch quest that even actual mmos are better at nowadays

The combat has no design going for it either, the mp bar literally exist only for the sake of having this bar, even though it serves no purpose in the actual game as there are only two activities that drain from it, teleporting which ironically also fills the mpbar to its fullest if you port to the only points actually worth porting to and dodging, which is required because dodging is a move that dodges absolutely everything as long as you hold the button pressed. The reason why that is is because an actual proper dodge move would require encounter design and good enemy animations of which the game got none.

If you are surrounded by enemies it is literally impossible to actually pay attention to them proper and dodge on time as the enemies to not have any form of telegraphing their attacks, nor do you as a player have any form of actually getting a proper overview of the entire battlefield.

The camping mechanic introduced early on in the tutorial also happens to be entirely pointless as it is a waste of xp compared to going into a hotel.

The narrative is incredibly disjointed, important characters have barely any screen time, characters open and drop plot lines like ugly babies, a vast amount of story happen off screen while you are collecting diamonds for dino and similar badly designed fetch quest just for characters to simply exposition drop the most important shit to you.

The world is entirely empty and barren, other than a handful of optional dungeons, there's no content to find in it, the best thing are music cds with past FF osts to buy in gastations.

The pacing of the game is all over the place, with absolute low points like the entire
car chase with ardyn
being drawn out to ridiculous length just to rush out incredibly big and important stuff like
reuniting with your Bros after many years of exile
like the game is about to die.

The bossfights in the game are hilariously bad, not only do your party members run into every instakill aoe like lemmings, more often than not you can't actually play them proper at all as the game forces you to pay attention to one of two things even tho both things are required like every time
Arena does her moon jump spearfall
or you simply glitch into the enemy like with
the leviathan whenever you get to close

The skill system as well is terribly designed as a good ton of skills you won't be able to get outside of grinding these aforementioned terrible fetch quest, all these skills that require 999 skill points are simply impossible to get on a normal playthrough as I ended my 40hour one, of which 20 hours where spent doing these shitty quests in the false hope it might pay out sometime, with 1800 points spent total despite aleady skilling all the abilities that give you even more skill points very early on.

You spent multiple hours worth of playing in a barely interactive car while listening to music from different, better games.

That the wait mode exists and how it works just proves in a nutshell that the team behind the game had no proper vision of the game at all.

The issue isn't that people aren't able to accept changes, people aren't clinging to atb combat - a bubble that was bursted over a decade ago - nor are they narrow minded idiots, the simple reality is that most people think it's a garbage game because it is one and that the most people here on gaf that like it have a hard time articulating arguments against any form of criticism other than "great game! I liked it! Flashy combat! Chococos!" And ad hominens about how "people just cant deal with how different it is" is testimony of that.

First of all, some of your points are valid and no one wants to deny that. You argumented some gameplay fail elements pretty well and I agree. Your last paragraph though was not only accusing the fans that they think the haters are idiots, but also impies that people who like the game cant properly tell why and thus must not be very bright with the "quotes" you put in there. I already wrote, that the dungeons for instance are a big step into the right direction with its diversity and great locations. Another point is the bromance was something special not many games offer, that they run into every AOE is another story.

Your point about the almighty defend-button is wrong. You cant just hold it and dodge everything, that does not work for every attack. Though I agree that the battle system is not as deep as it could be. The warping mechanic is fun to use and that is a legitimate argument, after all its a game and it should be fun. In general, the encounter design is pretty garbage since I cant remember any well designed battle in the game, just some fun ones like
Ifrit
or
areana

The car ride you mentioned is also very subjective, some may see it like you but others loved that scene.

There is nothing wrong in being disappointed and I dont dare to say that this game is perfect in general. The whole package can be seen as a wrong delivered pizza. You wanted ham with mushrooms but got pepper with meatballs. Not garbage, not what you love but still delicious since cheese makes everything better.

FFXV is fun... at times.

But its very flawed and its a shame because it had the potential to be an amazing JRPG.

He puts it together pretty well with only a few words

RangerX

Banned
This is the most embarrassing case of "I love this game", "wahh why do you like the things I don't like".

Guys chill.

Seems the opposite to me. Most posters are spelling out in a clear and reasoned manner exactly why they didn't like the game and what they thought was bad about it. Saying " I liked the game anyway despite all its flaws which I acknowledge" isn't really adding anything to the discussion.

FinalAres

Seems the opposite to me. Most posters are spelling out in a clear and reasoned manner exactly why they didn't like the game and what they thought was bad about it. Saying " I liked the game anyway despite all its flaws which I acknowledge" isn't really adding anything to the discussion.

You call it clear and reasoned, but I call it aggressive attacking of the game and people who like it. It's so dumb pretending to be objectively analysing a game when its clear to everyone they're just spouting an opinion and having a go at anyone who disagrees for not being objective enough. And I would say pointing out this hypocrisy does add to the discussion.

Squire

Banned
You call it clear and reasoned, but I call it aggressive attacking of the game and people who like it. It's so dumb pretending to be objectively analysing a game when its clear to everyone they're just spouting an opinion and having a go at anyone who disagrees for not being objective enough. And I would say pointing out this hypocrisy does add to the discussion.

It can't be aggressive and attacking if it's not though? I've hardly even quoted anyone I disagree with and when I have it hasn't been an attack.

Hektor

There is nothing wrong in being disappointed and I dont dare to say that this game is perfect in general. The whole package can be seen as a wrong delivered pizza. You wanted ham with mushrooms but got pepper with meatballs. Not garbage, not what you love but still delicious since cheese makes everything better.

I mean, I'm sorry if what I wrote came off as insulting, and I'm not talking about absolutely everybody, but it is certainly the impression I got on gaf (and to a lesser degree the internet in general), of course people can always feel free to prove me wrong, like with the rest for your post.

That said, I severely have to disagree about the quoted part of it, i - and probably lot of others as well - do not have an issue with what XV is. I like ARPGs, I like fantasy stories, teenie anime characters and traveling through great looking worlds, I just don't think the game is any good at what it does.

Or to put it on your analogy, I like meatballs and pepper, it's just that I think the pizza crusty was moldy and the meatballs uncooked

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I will be really curious to explore an XIII vs. XV poll in the future. It seems like XV's reputation has sunk significantly since the "it redeems the FF brand" talk around release.

I'm pretty sure the crowd's opinion of XV has already sunk well below the opinion of XII.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Nahhh, not even close. I like the game, although I do find it annoying sometimes that its fans tend to greatly exaggerate its strengths.

It's not a game deserving the word 'bad', IMO, which is not something that I would say towards Andromeda.

NotUS

How important is it to do the side quests to level up appropriately for the late game?

I'm finding them simplistic and stupid, I would like if possible to push on just with the main quest.

Squire

Banned
I was going to edit, but I'll just make a new post.

There is no objectivity in discussing video games or any art critically, so I'm not playing at anything like that. I'm stating my thoughts. What I'm not going to do is baby you, Jackstin (or anyone else) with an "IMO" in every single post I make.

There's no objectivity. I'm not stating anything factual. You're perfectly free to dispute and debate my perspective.

If you don't think the story is bad, you're free to refute that claim.
If you don't think the gameplay is bad, you're free to refute that claim.
If you don't think the game feels rushed/unfinished, you're free to refute that claim.
If you don't think Tabata is a bad director and sort of dishonest about XV at best, you're free to refute that claim.

You're free to argue your opinion against my own or anyone else's, but that's what all of these are: opinions. I know that and have no problem with it. So go ahead. I would love to have an actual critical discourse about this game where one side isn't just "I acknowledge it definitely has all these flaws, but I liked it!!!"

I think what you're bothered by is the fact I point out the flaws, but I don't sugarcoat it by saying the game is "OK" or "a little disappointing" or "not that bad" or "a missed opportunity". Here's the thing: I don't have to! I soent my $60USD on it, spent 40 hours playing through it, and at the end of it, to be blunt, I thought it was bullshit. But I have articulated why I felt that way in this thread and yes, many others. Respond or don't.

It can't be aggressive and attacking if it's not though? I've hardly even quoted anyone I disagree with and when I have it hasn't been an attack.

i went back through your posts in this thread to see if it was just in mine, and everyone else pointing it out's, heads that you are being an aggressive asshole. And lol... it's worse than I thought. If you believe that saying stuff like "if all you play is JRPGs, but as someone that actually plays and enjoys open-world games and action games" and "you wasted 120 hours" and whatever that feet and hill thing you said is being reasonable and is fruitful discussion, then idk what to say. You even started off by calling anyone who doesn't have a stick up their ass about this game as part of an "apologist movement" lol

Mijdax

Banned
I mean, I'm sorry if what I wrote came off as insulting, and I'm not talking about absolutely everybody, but it is certainly the impression I got on gaf (and to a lesser degree the internet in general), of course people can always feel free to prove me wrong, like with the rest for your post.

That said, I severely have to disagree about the quoted part of it, i - and probably lot of others as well - do not have an issue with what XV is. I like ARPGs, I like fantasy stories, teenie anime characters and traveling through great looking worlds, I just don't think the game is any good at what it does.

Or to put it on your analogy, I like meatballs and pepper, it's just that I think the pizza crusty was moldy and the meatballs uncooked

Dont worry, not feeling insulted since its true that some people dont know how to tell why they like it but I guess this goes both ways. Have read many comments where people hate every new final fantasy solely because "no atb, this is not final fantasy anymore, get rekt $E"

I can go with your pizza analogy, yours is more accurate than mine but I would like to add that the hungrier you are, the more you enjoy your meal.

Caronte

I will be really curious to explore an XIII vs. XV poll in the future. It seems like XV's reputation has sunk significantly since the "it redeems the FF brand" talk around release.

I'm pretty sure the crowd's opinion of XV has already sunk well below the opinion of XII.

At least the people that somewhat liked XIII (I include myself) had a clear opinion of the redeeming qualities of the game. I'm failing to see that for XV.

I was going to edit, but I'll just make a new post.

There is no objectivity in discussing video games or any art critically, so I'm not playing at anything like that. I'm stating my thoughts. What I'm not going to do is baby you, Jackstin (or anyone else) with an "IMO" in every single post I make.

There's no objectivity. I'm not stating anything factual. You're perfectly free to dispute and debate my perspective.

If you don't think the story is bad, you're free to refute that claim.
If you don't think the gameplay is bad, you're free to refute that claim.
If you don't think the game feels rushed/unfinished, you're free to refute that claim.
If you don't think Tabata is a bad director and sort of dishonest about XV at best, you're free to refute that claim.

You're free to argue your opinion against my own or anyone else's, but that's what all of these are: opinions. I know that and have no problem with it. So go ahead. I would love to have an actual critical discourse about this game where one side isn't just "I acknowledge it definitely has all these flaws, but I liked it!!!"

I think what you're bothered by is the fact I point out the flaws, but I don't sugarcoat it by saying the game is "OK" or "a little disappointing" or "not that bad" or "a missed opportunity". Here's the thing: I don't have to! I soent my $60USD on it, spent 40 hours playing through it, and at the end of it, to be blunt, I thought it was bullshit. But I have articulated why I felt that way in this thread and yes, many others. Respond or don't.

I mean, you told people they "wasted 120 hours" and that they were part of a "huge apologist movement". Can you not see how aggressive that may appear to some? That's not critical discourse, that's directly shitting on someone's opinion.

Bladenic

I liked FFXV but every JRPG I've played this year (Tales of Berseria, Persona 5, and a few others) have been far better as overall packages.

Squire

Banned
I mean, you told people they "wasted 120 hours" and that they were part of a "huge apologist movement". Can you not see how aggressive that may appear to some? That's not critical discourse, that's directly shitting on someone's opinion.

People haven't been any better in other threads calling anyone that dislikes the game a "hater" or whatever. The post stands. People can argue why I'm wrong and the game is so great or use their ignore list. *shrug*

kiuo

XV is not "brilliant" in any way. Don't kid yourself. It's soulless garbage and it's surprising how some people can't see it. Someone on here linked to a video that called FFXV a "junk food" game. That's exactly what XV is. Junk food. If you went into the game with zero expectations, or expected a road-trip that feels like a drive through a park full of product placement with lots of warping, then you'll probably like it.

Unless XV's future updates offer MASSIVE changes, its reception will only get worse over time. Because it tried so hard to be flavor-of-the-month and to fit in, only to get completely demolished by pretty much all other AAA games. I'm pretty sure most people who liked it completely forgot about it, because that's the type of crowd it tried to appeal to (whilst retaining the atrocious character designs of the main cast that almost everyone makes fun of). The game has no identity other than trying to be a copycat and failing miserably. Only reason why reception was somewhat positive for like, a week, was because most people were still under the impression that there's way more to the "Open World." That, or, they didn't want to accept that the game they waited for was a turd.

For the bolded, I couldn't believe it had a higher metacritic than something like The Last Guardian when they first came out. Finally TLG is beating FFXV by...1℅. Hey, it's at least something. (Comparing the two because they came out a week from each other and we waited 10+ years for them)

FFXV was horrible and I still can't grasp how it got so popular and such good ratings. I get that everyone is different and like different things but with a game so rushed, incomplete, and bare-boned as this I just don't understand why it's so damn popular with people. It's a mystery.

Top Bottom