• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ry ga Gotoku Kenzan! (import Yakuza + guide play)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You should since Kenzan is amazing and for the guide you will get used to it in no time(better if you just print it or have it on your phone or something instead to returning to your PC screen everytime).
Hah, yeah. It's just such a text-heavy game that I just never seriously considered playing it. I hope I get in the mood for it soon. :)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I've only played the prologue, so these are very early impressions, but I won't let this thread die. I bought my copy a few months ago but held off because I didn't have a portable device that was internet capable. I'm now using my laptop to pull up the walkthrough and my Vita to watch the subbed cutscenes. This is the first game I've ever imported, so going through like this--skipping the cutscenes and then watching them on the Vita; skipping through the text and then reading a summary--is all new to me.

So, in no particular order:
  • I've always loved the Japanese Yakuza intros as they seem to have the most inappropriately urban, poppy songs paired with the scenes they depict, and Kenzan's is no exception. I watched the opening six times, and while the song used for Yakuza 4's intro is superior, Kenzan's opening is up there.
  • I like that the main character is much more like Akiyama than Kazuma. I love Kazuma, but his righteousness and morality was becoming a bit tired. Within the first few minutes, Kiryu propositions a woman and turns a blind eye to a group of girls being sold into slavery. It's refreshing, and it works well with the setting. The game already seems darker than the other games in the series, and I hope it keeps that up.
  • The game still looks nice, and there's a lot more going on in the streets of the small area in the beginning than there is in Kamurocho. The streets simply feel more populated and lived in than those of the previous (and even future) games.
  • The fact that triangle isn't a kick is so weird.
  • There are some grammar issues in the subtitled cutscenes, but without knowing the original language, they communicate the story just fine.

After only about half an hour of playing, my interest in the story is already piqued. I'm excited to play more.

Atolm

Well, I can see how little girls being sold to geisha houses is one of the biggest reasons for the lack of Western release. Also there are very, very creepy characters, and not in a "funny" way like most of those semi-eroge games released for PSP.

The game has a pedo vibe, but that's expected from a Red light district setting on the XVII century. The things the game depicts actually happened. It surprised me, they had the balls to show some of the nasty stuff from back then, not everything is shiny samurais with fancy katanas.

KTallguy

Banned
This game isn't pedophelic... Jesus.

It's not exploitative in any way. It does show a "stylized" reality of that era, and includes examples of horrible human trafficking. But the game treats Haruka and the other touchy subjects with respect (as far as I can remember, it's been a few years since I played the game).

It's a shame that Sega never localized it, and while it feels a bit dated by today's standards, it's a well made game with some fun combat, an interesting world, and a decent story. It's pretty much my favorite Yakuza game.

IrishNinja

good on you, lunch! i had to let this one rest a bit between the zelda concert & catching up on breaking bad, but my next days off are mid-week and im gonna put some more time into this one for sure, things were getting interesting where i left off.

also:

I like that the main character is much more like Akiyama than Kazuma. I love Kazuma, but his righteousness and morality was becoming a bit tired. Within the first few minutes, Kiryu propositions a woman and turns a blind eye to a group of girls being sold into slavery. It's refreshing, and it works well with the setting. The game already seems darker than the other games in the series, and I hope it keeps that up.

this is a really great point i meant to make: you're not getting the same Kiryu here, it's closer to Yojimbo. especially after the scene in Dead Souls where
Kiryu wont kill a freakin zombie in front of the military chick, come on man
. Refreshing is a great choice of words here.

The game still looks nice, and there's a lot more going on in the streets of the small area in the beginning than there is in Kamurocho. The streets simply feel more populated and lived in than those of the previous (and even future) games.

another good point, especially given the age of the game. the streets feel so much more alive, im really hoping this is something we see in 5 as well. i do so try to avoid the shenmue analogy but damn, given their age, those towns (granted, real-time and all) mayve been small but they moved with a purpose, it really helps the feel of the game. i love that there's constantly events, arguments and all kinds've things irrelevant to your plight here.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
good on you, lunch! i had to let this one rest a bit between the zelda concert & catching up on breaking bad, but my next days off are mid-week and im gonna put some more time into this one for sure, things were getting interesting where i left off.
Oh, good. I was getting worried that you dropped the game and I'd have to pick up the torch from where you left off.

another good point, especially given the age of the game. the streets feel so much more alive, im really hoping this is something we see in 5 as well. i do so try to avoid the shenmue analogy but damn, given their age, those towns (granted, real-time and all) mayve been small but they moved with a purpose, it really helps the feel of the game. i love that there's constantly events, arguments and all kinds've things irrelevant to your plight here.
There's just more happening in Kenzan's town. Parades, monks, and whatnot, all of which go with the time period. I don't really know what the equivalent would be in the modern day, and so they've gone for really populated streets instead.

And I'm banning Shenmue analogies. I bought the game a few months ago because I heard that people who liked Shenmue would like Yakuza, and I was hoping the reverse would be true. I got burned hard. Shenmue's awful. :(

IrishNinja

zBLIB.jpg

careful now

yeah, ill be back on it soon enough, but per shenmue (which i agree should prolly be banned from the future Yak 5 thread to try & avoid thread derailment from the plebs): 2 >>>>> 1, just bear that in mind. you played a classic, but it's a slowly-paced prologue which very possibly doesn't age as well as i believe 2 does. just throwing that out there!

hirokazu

IrishNinja, your spoiler tag in that post is in broken. ;)

I would guess Kazuma is less concerned with the girls being sold into slavery or whatever because that's not really out of the ordinary in those days.

IrishNinja

IrishNinja, your spoiler tag in that post is in broken. ;)

crap, my bad. fixed!

okay so all caught up with breaking bad, should be back on this one soon. im already getting the feeling that im gonna miss the unique experience this one offers when i finally go back to plat Dead Souls.

Persona86

Banned
crap, my bad. fixed!

okay so all caught up with breaking bad, should be back on this one soon. im already getting the feeling that im gonna miss the unique experience this one offers when i finally go back to plat Dead Souls.

Looks like there's no turning back for Walt now, his transition to the dark side is complete

Kaizer

Banned
Just got my copy of this in the mail, about to start it up with the cutscenes and guide ready. Pretty stoked.

I never finished this game. I need to get back to it. Enjoyed what I played though.

This. I will probably use that guide in the OP to finsh it. I loved the story so far as much as I could understand it, but my lacking kanji skills prevented me from finishing. I like this game more than the mainstream yakuza games.

Persona86

Banned
Just got this game, Hopefully the links in the OP will help me. Thanks!

Well I played quite a bit of the game, I'm just guessing the story right now since I don't have a tablet/phone to read the guide as I play, and my printer is not working (not to mention I would have to print a LOT of pages) But it's still fun to play. The gameplay reminds me of Onimusha series.

So when I get more money (which will be a while because of my situation) then I will continue playing. :(

I want to play this so, so bad....just not quite enough to import it. I'm still holding out hope that some day, some how, it will make its way to the U.S, seems pretty unlikely at this point though.

Kenzan! is a great game. People need to get over their fear of playing with a guide, seeing how that's the only way they'll ever get to play it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
sleepin again...hurricane down here plus overtime fucked up my shit, i intend to update this thread midweek (my weekend), honest!
I posted that three weeks ago!

I'll be PS3-less in a few days, so I need to start the game up again.

IrishNinja

holy balls is anyone still here CAUSE IT'S TIME FOR AN UPDATE

halfway through chapter 7 now, and the biggest news: while going through the guide originally linked in the OP, i found that the same team did a walkthrough series, broken into parts by chapter, rather than just the major CG's - this is kinda big for me, cause there's plenty of in-game talky bits i was skipping through and kinda dubbing myself like it was Kung Faux. Given my prior statement about how the game kinda opens up to a regular Yakuza world (open/non-linear except for big plot points) back in chapter 5, this is pretty crucial: mandatory fetch quests from Kage in ch 6 wouldve been a nightmare without this, simply because a dot on a map next to a salesperson is great, knowing what exactly to bring back is so much better

so yeah, gonna link that in the OP now as a better option, but it's still a no-frills guide: you get to see all the running around between checkpoints & everything is translated in the process, but there's no side-quests here, and dude obviously avoids random fights (his life meter is like 3x mine so i'm guessing it's a replay game anyway). syncing up the non-CG talky bits so i can watch on the TV & laptop can be slightly tricky but ive basically gotten the hang of it (i wonder if this will help when i get a WU? haha), the plot's really coming together though and it's clear this is a notch above the usual Yakuza experience, again.

specifically in that the over-the-top, manly-tears-with-a-fist-to-the-sky drama (i think i used that earlier in this thread) is mainly present in the sidequests: i wandered into the wrong room and fought 3 sumo guys outta nowhere, no idea what that was about but im certain it was zany. the game proper is highlighting some serious (and dark) themes, which sometimes makes the combat in particular feel like an odd staple: major duels almost strike me was needing more a Bushido Blade system of damage, i'm curious if they'll ever have any battles solved inside a few strikes. it's not too jarring, but it does make me wanna read Lone Wolf & Cub again.

as an aside: the further i get into this game, the easier it is to see how unlikely a localization ever really was. it's not even a single factor i can point at, like aforementioned child prostitution, or super japanesy-content, the game's overall character/tone being rather foreign to a well established series (even at the time of its release, which i cant stop thinking about how great it looks for that window), it's really a combination of all of those things: it's so far a fantastic but very niche off-shoot/take on an already niche series. combine this with Sega's current state/strategy, and i really feel inclined to push this thread so more people will experience this game rather than pass on it in hopes of a future release that could very well happen, but feels unlikely to me at this point.
best i can hope for is a CFW effort to fansub the things i'm using a laptop for, which would honestly make it worth taking this sytem offline for me, especially as this gen looks to likely close out next year. anyway, back to the game!

IrishNinja

reached chapter 8, and there's where i'm gonna have to pause until about this time next week, sadly. things are popping off like crazy, naturally, but...i'll do more plot stuff later, in spoiler tags of course. for now, i'll just leave it at: it's got that Yakuza pacing, but it takes the intensity great games like 4 build in the final act and kinda deliver them more often. speaking of 4, you know how
that Saejima flashback was one of the most badass cutscenes this gen, and then for some inexplicable reason, they pulled a pump-fake and made it about nothing later on? that's honestly something that bothers me/stands out way more than charmingly punching tigers, and so far, there's none of that here, so i'm quite grateful.

i did wanna talk about some other game elements, though:

-I was just lamenting the lack of destructible environment objects, then chapter 7 made me hate them, heh.

-I just got a new receiver (7.1!) and the sound in this game is incredible; the Gion market really feels alive, i can feel the bass approaching the mini-parade in the town square, and the way sounds are made by passerbys to the side of me (dialogue, etc) is also really cool. kinda wonder how much i was missing out on previous games now, but yeah, it's a great transition when you go from minimal sound in the countryside (but graphic details all about) to the ambient noise of a city alive all around you, even at night.

-The atmosphere here is absolutely incredible. Again, to point at the greatness of 4, i thought Akiyama running through the rain in Kamurocho (jazzy sounds going and all) was one of the best examples of such i'd seen in a while, and i'm really happy to see they utilized the unique (for the series) setting for that here...and i don't just mean in fancy, dramatic CG's; i mean, just passing through areas, i was given a moment of pause by the level of detail they put in, again even with the assets they had at the time of release. perfect example (forgive my poor drunken cellphone shot):

man, this really doesn't do it justice...and never you mind what's going on here plotwise
what i wanted to capture was the sea to my left, and the swaying grass blades to my right. Above, a fullmoon, obscured by clouds (of course) but just bright enough to reflect upon the waves. this was some Kurosawa shit right here; i couldn't help but pick fights along the shore because of the world around me. this might be the cheap whiskey talking, but it's so awesome to go off on random ronin and think "this'd be an okay place to die if it comes to that."

what i really love is, and again you can totally see it here in a still shot...these assets aren't mindblowing for early 2008, but the work they did with them is what makes it shine. there's clearly elements they put their greater effort into, like certain facial models, some fireside lighting here & there, but what they couldn't focus on, the team seemed to build around & bring to life in certain areas. For me, this was one of those, and as I feel i'm approaching the 3/4 mark of this title, I'm grateful for such efforts. More to come.

major duels almost strike me was needing more a Bushido Blade system of damage, i'm curious if they'll ever have any battles solved inside a few strikes. it's not too jarring, but it does make me wanna read Lone Wolf & Cub again.
A difficulty setting where hits are more dangerous for you and the enemies would of been crazy. I would love it for sure, but then a lot of the bosses are paced so they do different things the more damage is taken away from them.

IrishNinja

that's a good point, just thought about it - boss of Ch 7
was this crazy metal bat (let's call it Lucile) wielding samurai; while skipping ahead in my translation video, i noticed the guy recording it got a QTE sequence I never did.

kinda wonder what other ones i missed out on now, maybe if i didnt combo/wail on them they''dve maybe shown more moves.

IrishNinja

I've high hopes for 1 & 2 HD since the work's already done & they're pushing digital - but bear in mind, that's all that's in the HD collection, it (sadly) won't bring this one!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Irishninja talking about how great Kenzan! is
I won't be able to play the game for a few months, so I'll play vicariously through you. The beach scene in particular sounds incredible, and rather reminiscent of war films. I was also amazed by how good looking Kenzan is considering it was the team's first HD game. Like you said, the actual assets aren't too impressive, but for my money, the RGG team does such a great job conveying place and atmosphere through the sound design, the crowd density, and the lighting of their games. It just makes me more excited for Yakuza 5.

I ordered this about a month ago, should be here any day now...

But yeah, I've enjoyed these updates, as if I wasn't already hyped enough. I've wanted this game forever.

I still remember thinking how awesome this game looked when it was announced and how much I wanted it. Now that I finally have a PS3, I'm conflicted because the thought of playing a game and having to rely on a guide... it's a major turn-off for me, but I guess that's why I've never been big on importing.

But it looks so damn interesting.

But the need for guides...

I guess it's a good thing I'm broke, anyway.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I still remember thinking how awesome this game looked when it was announced and how much I wanted it. Now that I finally have a PS3, I'm conflicted because the thought of playing a game and having to rely on a guide... it's a major turn-off for me, but I guess that's why I've never been big on importing.

But it looks so damn interesting.

But the need for guides...

I guess it's a good thing I'm broke, anyway.
I guess it's a good thing you know people who own the game and are incredibly kind and would send you their copy if you ever wanted to play it.

I've literally had a copy of the game that I bought back in 2009, but I only managed to get about an hour or two into the game before I gave up due to the hassle of using a guide.

However, I just finished Dead Souls recently and seeing Kenzan! in the credits made me think about picking the game up again (especially considering Yakuza 5 is so far away...and who knows if we'll even see a Western release of that), especially considering that having a smartphone makes the process a lot easier nowadays.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It's $26 on Play-Asia now, better time than ever to buy it... DERP

IrishNinja

i think i bought it here on GAF used (but excellent condition) for just a little over that...that's such a good goddamn deal, anyone who's enjoyed Yakuza or samurai tailes should really give it a go.

that smatphone idea is also excellent, im making life harder by insisting on a laptop but its really flowing for me these days. can't wait till weds night or so, i feel like i'll be tying up this playthrough soon which kinda makes me sad, but does free up HDD space for my next endeavor, WOTS 4.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's $26 on Play-Asia now, better time than ever to buy it... DERP

There are some used copies from third party seller on Amazon.com that cost more than this.

it's simply the best Samurai game ever and everyone should get it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm not sure the HD collection will be making its way overseas, and hell is Christmas so far away. So I'm going to use my PC to play Yakuza 1 and 2 in all their glory via an emulator in order to make the games visually appeasing in this day and age.

I bought Kenzan, always been curious, time to live the life of a 'bodyguard' for the early mob Yakuza of the Edo times.
When you were part of the Yakuza back in the Edo times, you were literally called 'bodyguard' and not enforcer or samurai, samurai is a totally different thing by way of bushido lol.

Maybe Majima is a Samurai and has a different code of ethics, but I haven't played the game.

Swords, money, carriages, and women.
i think i bought it here on GAF used (but excellent condition) for just a little over that...that's such a good goddamn deal, anyone who's enjoyed Yakuza or samurai tailes should really give it a go.

that smatphone idea is also excellent, im making life harder by insisting on a laptop but its really flowing for me these days. can't wait till weds night or so, i feel like i'll be tying up this playthrough soon which kinda makes me sad, but does free up HDD space for my next endeavor, WOTS 4.

There are some used copies from third party seller on Amazon.com that cost more than this.

it's simply the best Samurai game ever and everyone should get it.

IrishNinja

chapter 9 - the plot thickens!

fans of Vagabond & the Mifune samurai/Musashi flicks will love 8
unless you're a fan of what's-his-name-inei the spear guy from Honzon, wow did he not get much respect at the end there
, overall a good chapter but i made the mistake of engaging the cops and holy shit did i get mobbed for a bit there, you should definitely not do that unless you like re-upping on health items or practicing your crowd control.

plot-wise -
dueling the old master was cool, the tourney was some obligatory shit in Yakuza games but the feel was a lot cooler here. Looking forward to the old fox (not Sasaki?), as well as sorting out who Haruka-chan really is.

managed to guess my way into a few sidequests, mostly what ive sorted by process of trial & error (I dont like consorting the guide for everything) are the moves you learn from animals, which as you get further in, there's some cool ones here. also, before the big battle of 8, there's what looks like an important move to be learned, but you can't really miss it if you talk to people or follow the guide linked in the OP.

Onto 9, because nothing stops the train. except maybe sunrise.

ps OP updated with new rock-bottom $26 @ play asia price because goddamn

IrishNinja

reached level 10, had to save - and wow, chapter 9 was really amazing, Miyamoto fans must not miss.
i did get lost in the grasslands for a bit, but again, cheap whiskey
- i'm still defaulting with single-sword style, but i'm trying to come around to dual-wielding, because it's awesome...i just don't get as many chances to use my HEAT moves with that style, which is obviously my fault for not learning more of them.

One more atmosphere shot (again, doesnt do it justice) and off to bed:

KH7Ho.jpg

IrishNinja

halfway through chapter 11...and this is where i stop for now.

not for lack of inclination, mind - but there's a reason i didn't originally link my current guide in the OP..apparently, it's an ongoing project, and this is as far as it goes for the moment. Fortunately, updates seem pretty regular, about every week or so - meaning, the 2nd half of Chapter 11 should be soon, and then it's just the finale I'm waiting on. If the latter's not done by my next weekend (mid-week), ill prolly finish 11 and just wait; with the amount of cinematics so far though, i can only image the conclusion will be a bit lengthy.

Chapter 10 (and what i saw of 11) were enlightening:
the twist with Harkua's real background should've been obvious, but i wasn't sure how high they'd aim. Kojiro, Manare (sp?) and whoever else are still kinda in the shadows, but not for much longer...Kojiro did as he was told at the end of the last chapter, so his role is a bit confusing at the moment, but it should be clear soon.
We're clearly approaching endgame, sadly.

I do have one question for those fluent in japanese & have played this:
i'm not familiar with the courtesan/harem, Ohru's clearly being groomed with training in dance, poetry etc other skills, but she's not "servicing" customers at her rank, right? because that'd...i don't doubt shit like that went down, but that'd be pretty dark, even for this series.

kinda sad I have to wait a bit, but again, shouldn't be long. I'll keep this thread updated as I go, and something resembling a full review will be done upon completion!

IrishNinja

...so, 25 hours later (and nearly 4 months since this thread started!), i'm done.

last week, KHHsubs finished his walkthrough, and again i owe nearly 100% of my playthrough to his efforts (i also found yakuzafan from his stuff, great site).

my review: as said prior, i feel as though i missed half the Yakuza experience here - the wacky sidequests, coin lockers, learning moves from kooky animals & such are all very much part of the formula that i largely had to walk past due to the language barrier. even saying that, this might very well be the best of the Yakuza series - the darker tone & historical themes aren't done a disservice having the cast plastered onto them the way i thought inevitable going in. Which is to say, plotwise there's not exactly as many manly tears/fist-to-the-sky traditional moments we often see, but the tradeoff here is often excellent & stands as a unique and impressive chapter in the series. By the game's end, you'd obviously see facial models copied onto different soldiers, but again the level of detail in said models & backgrounds feels like a standout effort for a 2008 title, much less a niche one.

Irish now that it's over and you're saying i miss out on a lotta fun shit why should i bother: because it's 4+ years later and i feel quite safe saying we will likely never see this title localized at this point. Again sticking to the main course and watching fansub'd youtube videos doesn't strike anyone as ideal, but i cannot stress this enough: if you're a Yakuza fan, this is absolutely worth the effort. especially since fuck knows when an if we're getting 1/2 HD much less 5 BELIEVE

IrishNinja

pardon the bump, but i just noticed this game is less than $24 now at play-asia...i can't convert that to snickers bars in my head but shit's mad cheap son, and honestly we're looking at a generational shift here so with we in the Yakuza fanbase hoping for 5 & 1/2 HD as it is, localization feels less likely than ever. 2013 is the best time to finally experience what may be the height of this awesome series!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
even saying that, this might very well be the best of the Yakuza series

indeed.

Kenzan is the best in the series with the best Story and combat system, Yakuza 4 is the worst and a shameful sequel. (Dead Souls don't even count because it's a joke and got released by mistake)

One day I will play my copy of Kenzan along my japanese import of Yakuza 5 when Sega will be bankrupt after so many bad business decisions :(

Top Bottom