• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYEL1NER

I watched through all of Spartacus last year and loved it. The recast because of Andy's death was jarring but I got used to it (Naevia's recast less so). I started off hating the actor who played Gannicus but I quickly grew to like the character, especially after he comes back later on. He was just really believable as "the best gladiator out there."

I started watching The Arrow a little over a week ago and am up to mid-S3 right now, when Captain Boomerang appears. I was reading this thread earlier, saw a pic of Ashur, and then captain Boomerang appeared a few moments ago. I watched episode way back when S1 of Flash was airing, since it was a cross-over, but didn't recognize the actor again when I started watching Spartacus. He's definitely memorable enough now that I'll recognize him in anything else. Waller looked familiar and I couldn't place where I had seen her until this thread when I saw a pic of New-Naevia. Manu of course I recognized right away. He was awesome as Crixus and is great as Slade Wilson.
All of these shared characters led me to look up a link between the shows and it seems like the Arrowverse shares some writers with Spartacus. Liam was Weather Wizard in Flash and I didn't recognize that either, but I see it now.

DrSlek

I watched season 1 of this show and just couldn't get into it. As far as Starz series go, I found Black Sails to be vastly superior.

I watched through all of Spartacus last year and loved it. The recast because of Andy's death was jarring but I got used to it (Naevia's recast less so). I started off hating the actor who played Gannicus but I quickly grew to like the character, especially after he comes back later on. He was just really believable as "the best gladiator out there."
Too bad we never got a Gannicus vs Theokoles match. Even Gannicus might have lost against that monster.

I started watching The Arrow a little over a week ago and am up to mid-S3 right now, when Captain Boomerang appears. I was reading this thread earlier, saw a pic of Ashur, and then captain Boomerang appeared a few moments ago. I watched episode way back when S1 of Flash was airing, since it was a cross-over, but didn't recognize the actor again when I started watching Spartacus. He's definitely memorable enough now that I'll recognize him in anything else. Waller looked familiar and I couldn't place where I had seen her until this thread when I saw a pic of New-Naevia. Manu of course I recognized right away. He was awesome as Crixus and is great as Slade Wilson.
All of these shared characters led me to look up a link between the shows and it seems like the Arrowverse shares some writers with Spartacus. Liam was Weather Wizard in Flash and I didn't recognize that either, but I see it now.
Mira is also Nyssa al Ghul.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Theokoles > The Egyptian > Oenomaus = Gannicus >= Spartacus > (barely) Crixus = Crassus > other > (probably) Ashur

I don't think the Egyptian is that strong. He's durable, sure, but as a fighter, he seemed to get dirty shots in. Don't think he would do as well in a fair fight.

And Crassus is no way in hell on Crixus' level. He was barely able to keep up with a half-dead Spartacus.

I don't think the Egyptian is that strong. He's durable, sure, but as a fighter, he seemed to get dirty shots in. Don't think he would do as well in a fair fight.

And Crassus is no way in hell on Crixus' level. He was barely able to keep up with a half-dead Spartacus.
I put the Egyptian up there because he beat Oenomaus (though not handily), who needed an assist from Gannicus to take him out. Similarly, I put Crassus in there because his tricks bested a former champion gladiator—one good enough to earn his freedom, though he was older by that time—and he almost held his own against Spartacus. But I agree; he's probably worse than Crixus.

Theokoles is just fuckin' insane and probably would have beaten both Spartacus and Crixus at the same time if not for Spartacus just having the right luck that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom