• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spec Ops: The Line (I am Sick) [SPOILERS]

Ciastek3214

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you The Many Faces Of Captain Martin Walker in avatar form.

untitled-203ugq.png
walker4ivuq6.png
walker303u9j.png
walker22eu5e.png
walkermtupy.png
walker1g4uqv.png

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hate to rag on Garnett some more, but...

Like I said, too subtle, I guess.

Basically the only thing I know about this game is that I'm getting it free on PS+ tomorrow.

But now I want to play it and love the hell out of it just to spite those guys. Because fuck that shit. I was never one to jump on the "game journalists are too cynical" wagon (because I'm cynical as fuck myself), but man...I'm seriously annoyed just reading that transcript, and like I said, I know almost fuck all about this game.

antitrop

Basically the only thing I know about this game is that I'm getting it free on PS+ tomorrow.

But now I want to play it and love the hell out of it just to spite those guys. Because fuck that shit. I was never one to jump on the "game journalists are too cynical" wagon (because I'm cynical as fuck myself), but man...I'm seriously annoyed just reading that transcript, and like I said, I know almost fuck all about this game.
Hahahaha, just wait until you finish it. Makes it seem just that much more ridiculous.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
And then finish it again.

I thought my first ending was memorable. Hot fucking damn at my second one.

I watched all the endings on YouTube as soon as I beat the game. I still intend to go through it a second time. I played it on Easy the first time though based on some gaffer's recommendation, so I might try Normal for my next run.

I watched all the endings on YouTube as soon as I beat the game. I still intend to go through it a second time. I played it on Easy the first time though based on some gaffer's recommendation, so I might try Normal for my next run.
As somebody who actually really likes the combat in the game, normal is a good setting. Keeps you on your toes without being too overwhelming. Just conserve ammo and make your shots count.

My first ending (major spoilers->)
I shot myself in the head and laid there in a bloody slump as the credits rolled. Didn't close my mouth for a few minutes. Had to take it all in. On my second run-through I took Konrad's place. When the troops come to pick you up in the end I was shocked and heartened to see I still had a choice of how to deal with this encounter. But considering how soul drained my character looked, and how war weary I was by that point I just laid my gun down and surrendered to them. Fucking amazing endings altogether.

zkylon

zkylewd
antintrop can't aim, don't listen to him.

antitrop

antintrop can't aim, don't listen to him.

Doesn't take good aim to know that game is shit :D

I qualified rifle 'Expert' in the Marine Corps all 4 years. :(

But honestly, I don't hold hard and fast to playing Spec Ops on Easy. I really only mean that for the people who are on the fence for the game and the frustration from some of the poor encounter design in certain areas, where they may otherwise turn the game off and miss out on the narrative experience.

I would rather challenge myself to a game with better mechanics than SO:TL.

Gold_Loot

Man, I bought this game new the week it released. I enjoyed it after finishing it twice, but later traded it in. Now,after reading through this thread I feel I want to play it again. I'm glad I'm a PS+ member, but a part of me wants that physical copy back in my hands.

Should have held on to it. =(

antitrop

Obviously. I'm just bored enough waiting for Tomb Raider to unlock that I'll answer as if you were being serious.

I personaly felt the game was fine on normal, although I must admit, I've yet to try it on easy mode.
It IS fine on Normal, just different on Easy. I just feel that the difference of Easy benefits the game, narratively.

kuYuri

Don't be scared of FUBAR. I'm not great at shooters, but it was definitely achievable.

FUBAR has some really fucked up parts, the part near the beginning where you are in that lobby and the enemies are coming through the skylight, God damn.

Not to mention that push at the end up that hill full of turrets and shit. Those two are just off the top of my head, there's more. Just thinking about it is going to give me PTSD.

Suicide Mission is the better blend of challenge without being frustrating. But if you want that FUBAR achievement...

FUBAR has some really fucked up parts, the part near the beginning where you are in that lobby and the enemies are coming through the skylight, God damn.

Not to mention that push at the end up that hill full of turrets and shit. Those two are just off the top of my head, there's more. Just thinking about it is going to give me PTSD.

Suicide Mission is the better blend of challenge without being frustrating. But if you want that FUBAR achievement...

Yeah, Suicide wasn't that bad, but I can distinctly remember the parts you're talking about giving me a hard time so I can't even imagine it on FUBAR.

For me the worse parts were absolutely right after the hanging moral choice in "The Road" with the snipers and RPGs on every side with the train above and destructible cover:
ibtl98hOxH7OJp.gif

And then the boat section with the heavy on "Adams":
image_285639_thumb_wide620.jpg

Finally, the Aquatic Colosseum because of how big the level was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEek5ntJz5s#t=16m37s

jimi_dini

Compared to Killzone 2 on Elite Fubar is "easy". My main problem was my team mates going down pretty easy and they also rushed forward sometimes, then got put down and I couldn't manage to get to them in time.

For the helicopter escape sequence, you should not run immediately, because you will get killed (strangely). If you walk the first few seconds and then run, it normally works out. Horrible sequence, I played the game first on normal and I died maybe 20 times till I got through. I beat it on suicide first try. And on FUBAR I even managed to get through it first try. They should have made it a cutscene.

kuYuri

Compared to Killzone 2 on Elite Fubar is "easy". My main problem was my team mates going down pretty easy and they also rushed forward sometimes, then got put down and I couldn't manage to get to them in time.

For the helicopter escape sequence, you should not run immediately, because you will get killed (strangely). If you walk the first few seconds and then run, it normally works out. Horrible sequence, I played the game first on normal and I died maybe 20 times till I got through. I beat it on suicide first try. And on FUBAR I even managed to get through it first try. They should have made it a cutscene.

I personally didn't have the frustrations with KZ2 Elite that I did Spec Ops, but it's been a long time and I may just not be remembering.

antitrop

I haven't read anything in this thread, but I'm so pumped I get this free on plus this month. I shall return then!
You get it today, actually.

And you're doing yourself a favor by not reading this thread, it's a spoiler minefield.

But please do return to share your thoughts with us.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Playing it now. Really enjoying it so far. The shooting feels really, really good. Only thing I'm *kinda* worried about is that I started on Hard, and I'm usually not the *best* shooter player in the world. :lol Hope I don't get hung up anywhere.

Ricker

I haven't read anything in this thread, but I'm so pumped I get this free on plus this month. I shall return then!

Yep,downloading now...I came so close many times to grab this but never did...always stayed away from spoilers because I knew I would eventually get it...Steam had it for like 7 bucks at one point...I heard it's a little hard in places but the story is suppose to be great.

So I've been ignoring this thread due to potential spoilers and now that I finally got around to playing it (thanks to PS Plus) figured I'd add my two cents...

I love it, and the carnage kind of helps that. I'm around Chapter 10-11 and my only way to really describe it is a playable version of Apocalypse Now. By far the best shooter I've played in awhile & I'm almost bummed I didn't buy this when it first came out.

And when I say the carnage/death helps my love for the game, I mean it more in a -it makes the setting perfect- sort of way. I've played every CoD and there's been some intense moments, but it almost always feels overly done. Like a too dramatic moment during a Michael Bay movie. Makes me not give a shit at all.

This game....man....It just makes you and the game feel so much different, and that's what I love about it. Definitely not for everyone, but right up my alley. Can't wait to see how it ends, and I'm hoping MP is decent as well, though the loose controls kind of scare me.

Great though. Applaud the dev's who stood behind it

EDIT: Finished it in a single sitting, which is the first time I've done this in a long time. Final thoughts?

Still as good as I went going into it. The ending was kind of expected towards the end chapters but that didn't matter. The darker it got, the more I felt, and that's what I loved most about the game. The controls still felt a little off to me - I still hate one button cover systems, and caught myself uncovering and recovering before getting nailed with a few grenades. Also didn't care for the Melee/Hurdle button being the same, that messed me up a few times, but those are about the only complaints I could muster up.

Glad I was able to finally experience it

Jesus.
I had to end Walker's suffering.
Don't know what happens if you don't do anything at the end, and am not really curious to know.

I really appreciate how meta the game got. When Conrad said that I could've stopped at any time, I really could've just stopped playing the game. Even if
burning the survivors alive
was unavoidable, I still ended up doing it myself, even though I could've tried taking the enemies out through other means.

How much was actually real? I wonder.

antitrop

Jesus.
I had to end Walker's suffering.
Don't know what happens if you don't do anything at the end, and am not really curious to know.

I really appreciate how meta the game got. When Conrad said that I could've stopped at any time, I really could've just stopped playing the game. Even if
burning the survivors alive
was unavoidable, I still ended up doing it myself, even though I could've tried taking the enemies out through other means.

How much was actually real? I wonder.

The best part about the story is that it's left so intentionally open to interpretation.

There are some crazy theories in this thread, even going so far as to say that
Adams and Lugo weren't real

There are so many ways to perceive the events of the game, it's incredible. Some even say that
Walker dies in the helicopter crash at the beginning of the game, and everything after that isn't real

smik

The Legend continues....

so Stoked that GAF have given this game a chance but sad we most probably will never see a sequel/spinoff of SO:TL

Order

I just finished the game.

I like CoD but this game is going to make me take a break from it. The option to kill the troops was just...what the fuck man

gblues

Banned
There are four endings:

1) Let "Konrad" count to five.
2) Shoot "Konrad", surrender in the epilogue ("Who says I did?")
3) Shoot "Konrad", attack the troops, die in the firefight ("All I want is peace.")
4) Shoot "Konrad", attack the troops and kill them all ("Gentlemen, welcome to Dubai.")

Note that you can get all 4 endings on a single playthrough. When you continue, you'll be at the last checkpoint.

I got ending #1 first, mainly because I didn't think I had control and was just watching. It wasn't until I was looking at the trophies that I realized there were other endings.

By the time I got to the epilogue, I honestly felt just as shellshocked as Walker did. When I went for ending #3, I did the same thing Maragidyne did: I shot into the air and waited to die.

But.. fuck. This is going to be one of those "play it exactly once and then never again" type of games. There's certain movies that are like that for me, too. They're good movies, but I can't watch it more than once. It's a good thing I'm not a trophy whore. :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So yeah, been playing on Suicide Mission difficulty, and I'm stuck on the beginning of Chapter 13. Everything's okay until the Heavy pops up. I just can't kill the asshole. Ugh.

I think i never posted anything in the OT as i was busy those days. Just finished the game second time one or two days ago in two sittings. Its one of the most impactful stories ever told in a game.

I remember the days i read game's producer interview on Games TM and how he told they wanted to recreate Heart of Darkness, Apocalypse Now (both are special to me)like story. I got so interested when i read it. And they did it. Awesome story, awesome music, decent gameplay. Its not a great game. But its something gamers should experience...
Note: Copy pasted my post from the other Lttp thread.

spekkeh

Banned
There are four endings:
1) Let "Konrad" count to five.
2) Shoot "Konrad", surrender in the epilogue ("Who says I did?")
3) Shoot "Konrad", attack the troops, die in the firefight ("All I want is peace.")
4) Shoot "Konrad", attack the troops and kill them all ("Gentlemen, welcome to Dubai.")
Note that you can get all 4 endings on a single playthrough. When you continue, you'll be at the last checkpoint.

I got ending #1 first, mainly because I didn't think I had control and was just watching. It wasn't until I was looking at the trophies that I realized there were other endings.

By the time I got to the epilogue, I honestly felt just as shellshocked as Walker did. When I went for ending #3, I did the same thing Maragidyne did: I shot into the air and waited to die.

But.. fuck. This is going to be one of those "play it exactly once and then never again" type of games. There's certain movies that are like that for me, too. They're good movies, but I can't watch it more than once. It's a good thing I'm not a trophy whore. :)

Spoiler much?

I think there's a fifth ending that coincides with the first.

I believe I plain shot myself
I too was amazed to learn that there were additional endings.

katkombat

Banned
I'm sorry to bump this thread...but...I feel fucking sick too. I just finished the
White Phosphorus scene
and I feel like a fucking bastard. NEVER, with the exception of the walking dead, has a game made me feel sick. Ever. I need to stop playing for a while I think. :/ (I'm not even exaggerating)

Top Bottom