• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
On my n-th rewatch myself, literally saw this thread as I was listening to the intro.

Season 2 is the best season. None of the pushing at the boundaries of realism that S3/S5 have, the best 'villains' and the most tragic characters. I can see why people would pick S4 over it, but the people who dismiss it sound a lot like the people who dismiss the show for being boring.

I started watching this recently and am about halfway through season 3. Amazing stuff so far.

The best of the best.

Omar & Brother Mouzone = team of the forever.

omar-mouzone.gif

Welp, I should have been more careful in this thread I guess. I was hoping this would happen but now I guess it's confirmed.

My favorite character in television history. The beating heart and humanity in a show with people showing anything but.
I disagree, the whole show is packed full of heart and humanity either good or bad. It shows the humanity in drug deals and cops. Well except Marlo's crew, those mother fuckers were crazy.

Catvoca

Banned
If you love the show, you guys should read Homicide and The Corner. I read them over the last few weeks and they are incredible, they give you so much insight into the Baltimore that the show presents, and you can really see where the characters come from. Bubbs and the dope fiends in general made so much more sense to me after The Corner.

Season 2 is the best season. None of the pushing at the boundaries of realism that S3/S5 have, the best 'villains' and the most tragic characters. I can see why people would pick S4 over it, but the people who dismiss it sound a lot like the people who dismiss the show for being boring.

Nothing against the season, but I personally can't stand Ziggy. I hate the "eternal fuck up" character in all media, and Zig was one of the best (worst) examples of that archetype. Every moment he spent on screen grated my nerves.

Frank Sobotka was one of the series best characters though.

If you love the show, you guys should read Homicide and The Corner. I read them over the last few weeks and they are incredible, they give you so much insight into the Baltimore that the show presents, and you can really see where the characters come from. Bubbs and the dope fiends in general made so much more sense to me after The Corner.

The Corner is seriously depressing, great show, but depressing. The book of Homicide is good as well. Also, watch Homicide Life on the Street, doesn't hold up as much now really,but worth a watch.

Nothing against the season, but I personally can't stand Ziggy. I hate the "eternal fuck up" character in all media, and Zig was one of the best (worst) examples of that archetype. Every moment he spent on screen grated my nerves.

I used to think that Ziggy is annoying. I still think he's annoying, but that's the point though. He simultaneously lamented and accepted that persona. He misread everything his dad did and he suffered for it. He wanted to be a big, bad criminal lord, but people saw right through him. They never took him seriously and rightfully so. But then he did what he did and he found out that this wasn't the life for him.

It's a nice subtle way how things get worse from generation to generation: we think we do cool things, but we don't know why it's cool. It's why the game got more fierce.

I disagree, the whole show is packed full of heart and humanity either good or bad. It shows the humanity in drug deals and cops. Well except Marlo's crew, those mother fuckers were crazy.
I suppose I meant humanity in the sense of caring for others and looking out for their best interests, that is a trait missing from even most of the 'good' guys, who mostly are looking out for their careers. But I do agree with your interpretation of humanity as every character does feel very true and real.

Cipherr

How many spoilers is this thread gonna have even though OP is on episode 3 of season 1.... LOL.

Just finished the first season yesterday and loved every minute of it and now I'm currently at the third episode of season 2 and man is it bad.I hope the third season is more like the first one and less like the second,cause the second one is just boring.

Every other season of the show is more like the first season.

Season 2 is like by far and away the most different. It nearly felt like it wasn't part of the same show on my first viewing. The others are right about S2 growing on you, but for me it didn't happen until like my 3rd rewatch, and its still easily the worst season of the show for me.

Every other season is sublime. When I started S3 and it was back to the way S1 was, I was ecstatic.

Edit: Good lord guys, the spoilers. Mouzone? He hasn't even gotten to that guy yet. Oh well, I guess all gloves are off if a show is old. Hope OP doesn't read much of this.

eot

Banned

Frank Sobotka was one of the series best characters though.

I think he's hard to watch too, but he's not there just to be an annoying fuck up. He does what he does in increasingly desperate attempts to gain the respect and attention of his family and 'friends', however all it does is alienate him from them even more. The way he acts after he comes out of that store, having done the thing, that was him all along. He was already broken and Ziggy was just a character he had to keep himself from facing that. It's a great portrayal of someone running from his problems, which is a very relatable thing I think.

Loved the show, but had to force myself through season 5. Everyone I know who watched through it around the same time as me felt the same way, we just finished it for closure

I think he's hard to watch too, but he's not there just to be an annoying fuck up. He does what he does in increasingly desperate attempts to gain the respect and attention of his family and 'friends', however all it does is alienate him from them even more. The way he acts after he comes out of that store, having done the thing, that was him all along. He was already broken and Ziggy was just a character he had to keep himself from facing that. It's a great portrayal of someone running from his problems, which is a very relatable thing I think.

Oh yeah, I definitely "get" Ziggy and I didn't mind him as much the first couple watches. On multiple views (at least 10 at this point) I really can't stand the antics knowing the ultimate outcome.

I actually love all the kids from season 4 but it makes re-watches of that season tough for similar reasons.

Audioboxer

I own the DVD boxset and have watched it a few times. Amazing show.

I need to treat myself to an HD watch in 16:9 soon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
show is truly incredible, but I had to watch it in small doses since its so goddamned dense, and I say it as a compliment

chris-partlow-300.jpg

Chris is fucking terrifying. Soft spoken and unassuming but so cold blooded.

Yeah, that episode when...

he helps the lady just outside the store with the goods, smiling and being nice to her and then he kills her without fucking remorse.

I hated him and the bitch so much.

yyzjohn

Banned

I read the Corner and thought it was great. Homicide is on my to read list.

Window

Bubbles was such a great character. I don't know if this is an accurate way to describe it (considering the other great characters and performances) but he felt like the heart of the show.

shit
dukie was failed from jump. although i probably shouldnt have been, i was pissed that only namond got out.
Dukie became the new
Bubbles
Michael became the new
Omar
Randy became the new
Prop Joe
Namond became the new
Clay Davis
Kenard became the new
Marlo

P.S FUCK YOU,
HERC!

Ricky_R

chris-partlow-300.jpg

By far my favorite character.

I read an interview a couple of years ago, made to the dude who played Marlo and he was asked which actor from the series he thought was the most different from the actual character (or something like that), and he said it was the dude who played Chris. He said he was the complete opposite from his character. Always smiling and happy, very active, friendly and lively... etc.

Took me a bit by surprise.

By far my favorite character.

I read an interview a couple of years ago, made to the dude who played Marlo and he was asked which actor from the series was the most different from the actual character (or something like that), and he said it was the dude who played Chris. He said he was the complete opposite from his character. Always smiling and happy, very active, friendly and lively... etc.

Took me a bit by surprised.

He was actually a police officer in one of the earlier episodes.

S4 is just masterful television, It's been like 9 years since I saw the whole series but I still get choked up thinking about it. Powerful stuff man.

Ledbetter

I've always said that S2 is great and S5 isn't that bad, but of course, compared to the greatness the show had been up to that point, it leaves you kinda disappointed.

Had a discussion with my cousin a while back about how great the cast was and here was the question...Top 5 characters NOT Avon, Stringer or Omar?

Mine:
Lt. Daniels
Bunny Colvin
Weebey
Cutty
Bunk Moreland

I'd change Daniels and Weebey for Carver and Slim Charles. But with a cast of that size, you'd probably get a different list from every person that has watched the show.

I've always said that S2 is great and S5 isn't that bad, but of course, compared to the greatness the show had been up to that point, it leaves you kinda disappointed.

I'd change Daniels and Weebey for Carver and Slim Charles. But with a cast of that size, you'd probably get a different list from every person that has watched the show.
The characters you identify with the most on the show is like a Rorschach test -- it says more about you.

Jumeira

Banned
Most likely because I'm British, but I have a tough time trying to understand Bunk. Lots of metaphors and mumbling, referencing scenarios and pop culture I have no knowledge of. Not because I'm not aware of American culture, I am, but his twang is hard to decipher. It gets to me because I feel I'm missing key information when he's drinking with McNutty.

Sunster

Dukie became the new
Bubbles
Michael became the new
Omar
Randy became the new
Prop Joe
Namond became the new
Clay Davis
Kenard became the new
Marlo

P.S FUCK YOU,
HERC!

Did Namond really become Clay Davis though? Example?

Did Namond really become Clay Davis though? Example?
It is subtlely implied in the scene where
Namond is participating in a debate about AIDS in season 5 when the Deacon remarks:

"Tell ya, if I had that boy's gift for talk, i'd a really caused a stir."

Here he is engaging in political debate and public-speaking and his ability to work an audience is first acknowledged.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Namond's mother was the WORST. There were a lot of characters I hated but she might be one near the top. Fuck that woman!

latest

chris-partlow-300.jpg

Him and Snoop were monsters.
Stomped Bug and Mike's stepdad into damn near nothing
. Mike became the MVP though.

SHEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiitt.

Also rest in peace to Robert Chew, Proposition Joe.

DirtyLarry

Me and my wife have binged watched a few shows over the years. The Wire was more of an obsession. It was unhealthy how quickly we watched the entire series. We both actually took a day off, twice, just to watch it.

On a somewhat related note, if people are not watching Omar's, I mean Michael Kenneth Williams, show on VICELAND called Black Market. You should do so. Really damn good, and really damn eye opening/depressing. He even talks about in the first episode about how he took playing Omar a little too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom