• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him and Snoop were monsters.
Stomped Bug and Mike's stepdad into damn near nothing
. Mike became the MVP though.

SHEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiitt.

Also rest in peace to Robert Chew, Proposition Joe.

As harsh as that was
the guy was a sexually abusive scumbag, and that scene implies Chris knows that and that he too was abused as a kid
The Wire is incredible when it comes to stuff like that. Most shows would tell you straight, The Wire treats the audience like adults and respects the intelligence of the viewer by not spoon feeding you everything like a baby.

Weckum

I rewatch it every year, single greatest thing I have ever seen. Every time I watch it I discover new things.

S2 GOAT.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I tried. I want to so bad, because I've heard the praise as well. I just couldn't get past episode 2 because I have shit attention span for TV shows anymore. I'll do it someday.

I watched this series for the first time a few years ago. I thought it was good, but I don't understand why it is loved so much? Maybe it's just because it was great during it's time, but is nothing stand out these days. Season two was dross. Now that I think about it; I never even finished the final season; I should prob. do that at some point.....

Omar and Stringer Bell are great characters.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
On 11th Episode of Season 1 now. It has definitely grabbed my attention. The acting has been consistently great. It's really nice to see some characters evolve and change the perception you had of them. The smattering funny and camaraderie scenes is still pretty great. And of course, Omar is also great.
But it still doesnt have that- 'OMG I need to watch the next episode now!' feel. Maybe its not that kind of a show. I also feel lost sometimes in all the legal stuff. Rarely, but it does happen. Bo big deal, as I catch back up in next 2-4 minutes.
I am definitely sticking with it. It's a good show at the least, if not great just yet for me.

eot

Banned
The show doesn't really do cliffhanger endings to trick you into watching the next episode, but after a while I definitely got that 'just one more' feeling. Perhaps not as strongly as in other shows, but on the other hand the shows that evoke that the most rarely tend to pay off as they just string you along forever. Ep. 10 of season 1 was definitely one of those "got to keep watching" ones for me though. It's true of the other seasons as well that they start slow and then unfold very rapidly at the end.

As for the legal stuff being confusing, it definitely is a lot to take in on a first watching. But the fact that it doesn't dumb that stuff down is one of its great strengths I think.

I watched this series for the first time a few years ago. I thought it was good, but I don't understand why it is loved so much? [bold] Maybe it's just because it was great during it's time[/bold], but is nothing stand out these days. Season two was dross. Now that I think about it; I never even finished the final season; I should prob. do that at some point.....

Nah, I watched it last year and I believe its my favorite piece of media ever. Just different tastes man.

Iokis

I watched The Wire for the first time last year. Was kinda like "this is decent" for the first two episodes then after the third the hooks got in and I just couldn't stop. Got through all of it in a few weeks and I very rarely watch TV, never mind binge on it.

Didn't realise S2 took a while or a rewatch to click with most people, I liked it right away. Conversely it took me a little while to warm up to S4 because of
the change from following the Barksdale Organisation to the Stanfield Organisation
, but came out the other side also convinced that it is the best season.

S5 is also definitely not as bad as people make it out to be: Yes, the
serial killer subplot
was a little silly, but I really liked the behind-the-scenes of the Baltimore Sun and it's still top-tier TV.

It also has my favourite ending of any TV show I ever watched,
perfectly encapsulating the cyclical nature of the city and its people, with newer characters supplanting the roles of the older ones: Stanfield trying to become a business man like Stringer Bell, Michael doing stick-ups like Omar, Dukie and the arabber taking over from Bubbles and Johnny/Sherrod. And even though the ending emphasises the cyclical concept and how nothing truly ends, we get some (albeit ambiguous) closure for characters like McNulty (offered another chance at happiness with Beadie) and Bubbles (offered another chance with his family)
. Just top drawer stuff.

OP and others making their way through The Wire for the first time, enjoy yourselves. I just wish I could experience it fresh again.

jiggles

Banned
I think, for me, The Wire's greatness is primarily down to its huge cast of absolutely stellar characters. It often has some very meaningful messaging just under the surface, and the plot itself is world class, but that's nothing compared to how many memories are evoked just by looking at a set of cast photos.

X9uIcXE.jpg
Z5ACnI5.jpg
63Mtsy8.jpg
U7Bowbh.jpg
FBhRWdU.jpg
CTmkNEi.jpg
7ffBW5N.jpg
nqj0ph8.jpg
wSYhJud.jpg
7gjtkkB.jpg
nXOZFeA.jpg
toC7otl.jpg
cT6fzSx.jpg
DvAEGAm.jpg
FMHI9aY.jpg
AlMLf4H.jpg
nB6CjpN.jpg
UNHKdtg.jpg
7y5XIWh.jpg
fvioxog.jpg
DNuPmoD.jpg
JHv3ttQ.jpg
doTCvCG.jpg
lf8YSMl.jpg
ZHu9ZD8.jpg
Km0yUGA.jpg
bXor5Ep.jpg
rrDvtKm.jpg
3JUyDlj.jpg
e82iuf2.jpg
h4VvuNw.jpg
SqPu9eI.jpg
7TNhOm2.jpg
fcLQXGB.jpg
wMIdlkc.jpg
hsbyc4F.jpg
KIdzHde.jpg
j45hSCC.jpg
DzjoMqe.jpg
10CbdYZ.jpg
wcNgkva.jpg
pYaJqB6.jpg
6O549rE.jpg
CNpQjxl.jpg
w3tMqVH.jpg
NqdgkDb.jpg
4LoX0c7.jpg
U2WiSDG.jpg
SojHfx8.jpg

Season 3 is really great and close to season 1 but I just don't think brother Mouzone is realistic as a character in the realistic setting of the show.

That might be the only character that bothers me in the show. Omar is already stretching it a bit, but if he was the only character like that it would work better.

ironmang

I got into this pretty late as well, at the end of 2014 I believe. I was hooked almost immediately and ended up watching the entire series over a couple weeks. I'd probably put it as my #2 behind Breaking Bad.

I think, for me, The Wire's greatness is primarily down to its huge cast of absolutely stellar characters. It often has some very meaningful messaging just under the surface, and the plot itself is world class, but that's nothing compared to how many memories are evoked just by looking at a set of cast photos.

It's also unbelievable how much you can tell for each one of these characters just by these small photos. Even if you have never seen The Wire, you can write three or four adjectives describing each one and you would be spot on on something like 90%.

Fat4all

Banned
I've started re-watching it thanks to this thread. A little more than halfway through season two at the mo'.

Such an amazing show. The acting is top notch and constant.

Strictly

X9uIcXE.jpg
Z5ACnI5.jpg
63Mtsy8.jpg
U7Bowbh.jpg
FBhRWdU.jpg
CTmkNEi.jpg
7ffBW5N.jpg
nqj0ph8.jpg
wSYhJud.jpg
7gjtkkB.jpg
nXOZFeA.jpg
toC7otl.jpg
cT6fzSx.jpg
DvAEGAm.jpg
FMHI9aY.jpg
AlMLf4H.jpg
nB6CjpN.jpg
UNHKdtg.jpg
7y5XIWh.jpg
fvioxog.jpg
DNuPmoD.jpg
JHv3ttQ.jpg
doTCvCG.jpg
lf8YSMl.jpg
ZHu9ZD8.jpg
Km0yUGA.jpg
bXor5Ep.jpg
rrDvtKm.jpg
3JUyDlj.jpg
e82iuf2.jpg
h4VvuNw.jpg
SqPu9eI.jpg
7TNhOm2.jpg
fcLQXGB.jpg
wMIdlkc.jpg
hsbyc4F.jpg
KIdzHde.jpg
j45hSCC.jpg
DzjoMqe.jpg
10CbdYZ.jpg
wcNgkva.jpg
pYaJqB6.jpg
6O549rE.jpg
CNpQjxl.jpg
w3tMqVH.jpg
NqdgkDb.jpg
4LoX0c7.jpg
U2WiSDG.jpg
SojHfx8.jpg

Whats so special about the Wire is the impact so many characters make, not necessarily on the story, but the watcher. I haven't watched the Wire in a good 6 or so years, yet I remember every character in that picture and could write a 100 or so words on their character arch/ progression easily. No other show comes close in that respect.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just noticed that the crooked lawyer who helps the drug mafia is named 'Morrie levy', which seems Jewish. Did they have to go with that stereotype? A george costanzaesque Jewish guy is a crooked lawyer. Yeah, why not! Didnt like that.

Fat4all

Banned
Just noticed that the crooked lawyer who helps the drug mafia is named 'Morrie levy', which seems Jewish. Did they have to go with that stereotype? A george costanzaesque Jewish guy is a crooked lawyer. Yeah, why not! Didnt like that.

Good thing they didn't have the Irish drunk as well.

Fat4all

Banned
Haha yeah. I am not saying that they had anything specific for having a Jewish stereotype. I dont like stereotypes in general is what I am saying.

Well, there was maybe one good lawyer in The Wire, all the others were interested in their own interests. The only one who made it out looking OK was Pearlman, but even she was looking out for her own promotions a lot of the time.

I think that The Wire does a pretty decent job of showing people rising above their own pushed stereotypes, even the crooked layer type.

jiggles

Banned
Haha yeah. I am not saying that they had anything specific for having a Jewish stereotype. I dont like stereotypes in general is what I am saying.

David Simon (himself Jewish), had this to say on the subject of Levy reflecting anti-semitic stereotypes:

Why did we make this guy Jewish? Because when I was covering the drug trade for 13 years for the Sun, most of the major drug lawyers were Jewish. Some of them are now disbarred and others are not but came pretty close. Anyone who is anyone in law enforcement in Baltimore knows the three or four guys Maury Levy is patterned on.

If I have people from every other tribe in Baltimore portrayed negatively, everyone is maligned in some way, how can I not do that to the Jewish guy? How can I pull that punch? At that point I'm just being hypocritical. Here are good people from my own tribe who say how can you do that, and my answer is how can I not?

The reason The Wire feels so authentic and the characterisation is so on-point is because the vast majority of characters are based on real people.

Angryhead

Neo Member
Definitely the GOAT for me. Season 4 is just incredible, in all the best and most heartbreaking ways. All in the game though, yo.

Can't remember if I've watched the whole thing 4 or 5 times through but it's been great every time, and there's definitely a lot that you appreciate more on a second (or third... or fourth... or x-th) viewing

4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5

Definitely get the blu-rays, the HD version is gorgeous (and David Simon was personally involved with the 16:9-ing of it)

Read the Homicide book multiple times, it's also great. You'll recognize a lot of scenes.
Got halfway through The Corner but then stuff came up and I didn't finish it. Should really pick it back up because it seemed very good as well.
And I think I have a copy of Richard Price's Clockers somewhere around here too...

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
David Simon (himself Jewish), had this to say on the subject of Levy reflecting anti-semitic stereotypes:

The reason The Wire feels so authentic and the characterisation is so on-point is because the vast majority of characters are based on real people.

Thanks for the post. Makes more sense given the context. Thanks man.

Koozek

Back then it took me 3 tries over the course of two years or so to get into. Twice I stopped after the first or second episode, but then I kept watching and boom... hooked. That was my first hardcore binge-watching ever. Brilliant show, great cast.

Fat4all

Banned
Back then it took me 3 tries over the course of two years or so to get into. Twice I stopped after the first or second episode, but then I kept watching and boom... hooked. That was my first hardcore binge-watching ever. Brilliant show, great cast.

The Wire is such a great binge. It covers its season gaps really well.

Timbuktu

Got to the middle of season three now and seeing the whole thing with Prez gets me thinking over what would the Wire be now if a new season was made today.

Not sure where people stand on Prez and Daniels. Are they good cops? Prez is a decent guy with a talent but one of those who should never be allowed out even for a food run. And Daniels' instinct is always to protect him, feeding him stories to tell more than once. S3 Ep9, Slapstick, was the closest the Wire ever got to this tricky issue.

It also made me realise that when Herc called the Sun on Hamsterdam should have been when the press was brought into the series and not left until season 5.

cj_iwakura

Started watching it too. I'm on Episode 2, can't wait to see where it goes.

Obviously was a lot of meme fodder, heh.

Prez was the right man in the wrong place. He started pretty dickish but went on to be a good man in a bad place, which i loved. One of the many ways The Wire admits the true nature of being human, everyone is both good and bad.

kmfdmpig

I watched this series for the first time a few years ago. I thought it was good, but I don't understand why it is loved so much? Maybe it's just because it was great during it's time, but is nothing stand out these days. Season two was dross. Now that I think about it; I never even finished the final season; I should prob. do that at some point.....

I watched it for the first time this summer and loved it.

What impressed me the most is, as Jiggles points out above, the cast and how they develop so many characters. They also do so much to develop the complexity of the city and why things work (or don't work).

You might not like it, but the idea that it doesn't stand out these days is way off. I'm sure that if TV critics or pop culture experts were polled about quality shows that The Wire would certainly be top 3 of all time, if not #1.

Prez was the right man in the wrong place. He started pretty dickish but went on to be a good man in a bad place, which i loved. One of the many ways The Wire admits the true nature of being human, everyone is both good and bad.

Yeah. There are no real "pure" characters on the show. Omar might come the closest to that, ironically enough.

eot

Banned
I'm doing a binge rewatch myself, just got to season 5 and you can tell the drop in quality even in the first episode :(

The newspaper scenes are on the nose in a way that is totally uncharacteristic for the show, and they're not as well acted either I think.
And while I know a lot of time has passed since s4, mcnulty going totally bat shit and faking a murder already in the first episode feels unearned.

X9uIcXE.jpg
Z5ACnI5.jpg
63Mtsy8.jpg
U7Bowbh.jpg
FBhRWdU.jpg
CTmkNEi.jpg
7ffBW5N.jpg
nqj0ph8.jpg
wSYhJud.jpg
7gjtkkB.jpg
nXOZFeA.jpg
toC7otl.jpg
cT6fzSx.jpg
DvAEGAm.jpg
FMHI9aY.jpg
AlMLf4H.jpg
nB6CjpN.jpg
UNHKdtg.jpg
7y5XIWh.jpg
fvioxog.jpg
DNuPmoD.jpg
JHv3ttQ.jpg
doTCvCG.jpg
lf8YSMl.jpg
ZHu9ZD8.jpg
Km0yUGA.jpg
bXor5Ep.jpg
rrDvtKm.jpg
3JUyDlj.jpg
e82iuf2.jpg
h4VvuNw.jpg
SqPu9eI.jpg
7TNhOm2.jpg
fcLQXGB.jpg
wMIdlkc.jpg
hsbyc4F.jpg
KIdzHde.jpg
j45hSCC.jpg
DzjoMqe.jpg
10CbdYZ.jpg
wcNgkva.jpg
pYaJqB6.jpg
6O549rE.jpg
CNpQjxl.jpg
w3tMqVH.jpg
NqdgkDb.jpg
4LoX0c7.jpg
U2WiSDG.jpg
SojHfx8.jpg
The Greek is so elusive he managed to delete his photo from this collage.

Famassu

Seasons 1-4 are really awesome. Season 5 was pretty bleh as far as the overall storyline goes. The acting & writing/dialogue was still mostly good (except most everything to do with McNulty), but I just wasn't feeling the direction they were taking the larger storyline. Good idea, somewhat unbelievable & lame execution.

Seasons 1-4 are really awesome. Season 5 was pretty bleh as far as the overall storyline goes. The acting & writing/dialogue was still mostly good, but I just wasn't feeling the direction they were taking the larger storyline. Good idea, somewhat unbelievable & lame execution.
Still worth it only for the FBI profile on the serial killer.

Seasons 1-4 are really awesome. Season 5 was pretty bleh as far as the overall storyline goes. The acting & writing/dialogue was still mostly good (except most everything to do with McNulty), but I just wasn't feeling the direction they were taking the larger storyline. Good idea, somewhat unbelievable & lame execution.

Weakest by far especially the McNulty and Freamon stuff. I think they managed to tie it all up exceptionally well at the end an can't think of a single strand of story not tied up from all the series which is its biggest redeeming factor.

David Simon said the reason they finished was that they had told the main stories but I feel they left one very important one out, it often gets touched up throughout but never really dug into and that is internal affairs, I always thought that would have been better than the press angle.

Leunam

X9uIcXE.jpg
Z5ACnI5.jpg
63Mtsy8.jpg
U7Bowbh.jpg
FBhRWdU.jpg
CTmkNEi.jpg
7ffBW5N.jpg
nqj0ph8.jpg
wSYhJud.jpg
7gjtkkB.jpg
nXOZFeA.jpg
toC7otl.jpg
cT6fzSx.jpg
DvAEGAm.jpg
FMHI9aY.jpg
AlMLf4H.jpg
nB6CjpN.jpg
UNHKdtg.jpg
7y5XIWh.jpg
fvioxog.jpg
DNuPmoD.jpg
JHv3ttQ.jpg
doTCvCG.jpg
lf8YSMl.jpg
ZHu9ZD8.jpg
Km0yUGA.jpg
bXor5Ep.jpg
rrDvtKm.jpg
3JUyDlj.jpg
e82iuf2.jpg
h4VvuNw.jpg
SqPu9eI.jpg
7TNhOm2.jpg
fcLQXGB.jpg
wMIdlkc.jpg
hsbyc4F.jpg
KIdzHde.jpg
j45hSCC.jpg
DzjoMqe.jpg
10CbdYZ.jpg
wcNgkva.jpg
pYaJqB6.jpg
6O549rE.jpg
CNpQjxl.jpg
w3tMqVH.jpg
NqdgkDb.jpg
4LoX0c7.jpg
U2WiSDG.jpg
SojHfx8.jpg

I remember every single one of them but I only forgot one of their names. And no Gus? Shame, I though he was a great character.

Looking back at all those characters, I love their introductions and that style continues in Treme. These people don't just walk into a scene and command the room, so to speak. They don't have to do something loud and boisterous to call attention to themselves as the clear focus, by and large they're already in the middle of something or about to do something that informs who they are but there are no catchphrases or unique mannerisms (which some of them do have) to set them apart. You're the audience in another day in Baltimore and today you learn about this one fella.

Brother Mouzone is an exception, but his character was introduced by the way people spoke about him when they heard Avon had hired him to come into town.

DKehoe

I think the idea with the serial killer storyline was that it was unbelievable. By the end of the season all these different people have so much invested in this ridiculous lie that they all just go along with it. The opening scene of the season (with the Homicide department pretending that a photocopier is a lie detector) ends with Bunk saying "the bigger the lie, the more they believe."

I also think that it was meant to show how a story can catch people's attention. The serial killer plot is like something out of another crime show. The idea of it catches the attention of the public and the media in the show much more than Chris and Snoop disposing of bodies in vacants, even though the latter was the cause of more deaths. I remember reading an interview with David Simon in which he said that the idea of season 5 was to show if everything that has been shown in seasons 1-4 is true then why isn't it reported on and why don't people care. I think that the glamour of a serial killer vs the way things happened in the previous seasons demonstrates that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Weakest by far especially the McNulty and Freamon stuff. I think they managed to tie it all up exceptionally well at the end an can't think of a single strand of story not tied up from all the series which is its biggest redeeming factor.

David Simon said the reason they finished was that they had told the main stories but I feel they left one very important one out, it often gets touched up throughout but never really dug into and that is internal affairs, I always thought that would have been better than the press angle.

Simon has talked about what he might have touched upon if he kept the series going and I believe one of the big elements would have been the Hispanic gangs that had been showing up and growing in power and all the issues surrounding them and those around them.

I think the idea with the serial killer storyline was that it was unbelievable. By the end of the season all these different people have so much invested in this ridiculous lie that they all just go along with it. The opening scene of the season (with the Homicide department pretending that a photocopier is a lie detector) ends with Bunk saying "the bigger the lie, the more they believe."

I also think that it was meant to show how a story can catch people's attention. The serial killer plot is like something out of another crime show. The idea of it catches the attention of the public and the media in the show much more than Chris and Snoop disposing of bodies in vacants, even though the latter was the cause of more deaths. I remember reading an interview with David Simon in which he said that the idea of season 5 was to show if everything that has been shown in seasons 1-4 is true then why isn't it reported on and why don't people care. I think that the glamour of a serial killer vs the way things happened in the previous seasons demonstrates that.

Well said... I totally agree with all of this!

Zakalwe

Banned
I started with S1 again yesterday in the absence of something great to watch (Mr Robot aside, of course), and I was instantly reminded why this is still the greatest TV show of all time.

The slow burn, novel like structure of the show goes against every cynical TV trick to hook viewers, it fully immerses you in its world and the feeling of ending a session watching the show feels like unplugging from an actual reality.

This makes the "just one more" factor something else entirely, I feel a kind of loss when I have to end my current run. It sounds silly and hyperbolic, but this is the best way I can describe the feeling.

The absolute best thing about this show is its refusal to dumb itself down, and the reality it grounds its fiction in is solid without ever being dull. I really do wonder if we'll ever see anything quite like it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom