• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Witcher 2 - or "where has this rpg been all my life?"

Dusky

Loved TW2, definitely one of my favourite games of the last generation. I still think it has many flaws and hopefully they'll be addressed in TW3 but as much as it has flaws it does so many things right that other RPG's fail to do.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, play the game at least twice as both paths are very enjoyable. One path is considered to be better/more interesting that the other so it's best if you experience both.

Whilst a lot of people will say that you don't need to play the first game (which is true) I would still say play it if you feel like it. Sure its combat isn't the greatest, I personally didn't mind it too much, but neither is TW2's to be fair. TW1 does however have a nice story and it will also add to your understanding of some of the characters in the series. So if you're up to it I say go for it.

Can't wait for TW3.

Edit: Thought I ought to mention, a TW1 playthrough is twice as long than a TW2 one. At least it was for me. Think I clocked 70 hours my first time and I didn't do every side quest either.

diamount

Banned
Great graphics, great story, okay voice acting and great content. Combat was the worst I've seen unfortunately. Just roll your way to victory.

Sentenza

There are no bad opinions.

Except for that one.

Well, he's not *entirely* wrong.
he's exaggerating these issues to a ridiculous degree and describing as "ZOMG TERRIBLE" things that are barely flawed, as people usually do on forums, but it's true that the game has issues in some of these areas he criticized.

Ein Bear

This is on offer on the 360 for £5 today. My laptop hasn't got a chance in hell of running it decently, is the Xbox version worth playing?

Dusky

I enjoyed it, did that combat mod ever get released?

Yes, but it's not worth it in my opinion.

This is on offer on the 360 for £5 today. My laptop hasn't got a chance in hell of running it decently, is the Xbox version worth playing?

Whilst I haven't played the 360 version I've heard that it was a good port, so yes it's very much worth playing!

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah it was but it's not really worth it.

RmAs1.gif

Wtf is with that delay on the ketchup blood spatter...also is that a frikken katana he's welding? Curved swords? Has Geralt crossed over to Hammerfeld?

Dec

If you like the world definitely read the books. The games take place 5 years after the end of the last book, which is why they needed to wipe his memory. The books go some really crazy places in the last couple. So far the games haven't even touched on the most interesting parts of that world IMO. It's something I am looking forward to in the third game but not that hopeful it will ever be like the books.

Geralt isn't really a witcher in the books, there are very few scenarios where he does jobs and they are to pay for the main storyline.

By the end he himself gives away his sword and decides to no longer be a Witcher. Only to not remember this in the games.

For those that will never read the books what I am referring to above is:

Massive book spoilers, potentially later Witcher game spoilers? Who knows.

Parallel worlds. Ciri is the main character in the books really. Towards the end she learns to jump between dimensions. She hops through time, single handedly starts the plague in our world, meets the lady of the lake, gets trapped in a world taken over by dimension jumping Elves that have lost their power and forcefully taken over the one they got stuck in, jumping through dozens of worlds before finally ending up back in the Witcher universe.

Geralt dies from being stabbed by a farmer with a pitch fork in a riot against non humans. Yeneffer tries so hard to heal him that she passes out and dies as well, witnessed by a few characters in the game that don't really mention it at all in the games for some reason, Ciri arrives and takes them away on a boat (Ciri healed a Unicorn earlier in the story so we know she has that ability). Books end with Geralt and Yeneffer waking up in a peaceful place with each other and Ciri leaving to live in King Arthur's world.

It is believed Geralt and Yeneffer were taken by the Wild Hunt from where Ciri left them, possibly in an attempt to get to Ciri. One side effect of being abducted by the hunt is loss of memory. So if Yeneffer is back she is likely to also have lost her memory.

So, that's I guess where I hope the game goes, but because it is almost entirely based around being a Witcher, I'm not sure it will ever get there. Also considering there is only one game left in Geralt's story right?

I just don't think you can pull off what the books do in a game like this. The books aren't about being a Witcher. Geralt just happens to be one, it is an excuse for him to know about magic and have fighting skills essentially.

elhav

I have been trying to play the first game several times but just couldn't get into it. I hate the voice acting, the combat, and the the world doesn't draw me in.

Is there a possibility I would like the second game? I've seen some folks who hated the first game but loved the second.

I'm feeling the Witcher love a lot on GAF over the last couple of days, and I'm so hyped to actually play it even though my 360 copy is still sealed.

Might as well ask this here, and please, no spoilers guys:

A friend of mine who started on it many months ago brought up something that I never let shroud about my judgement, plus I've never heard anyone mention it before - he borrowed the game and the guide from a friend of his, and he said that he got the impression that there are some things in the game that you can't find without the guide. He personally found that it was a turn-off to the game despite loving the story like crazy as well as everything else about the game. According to him he was on the second disc on 360, no idea how far that is story-wise, or how many hours in. He gave some vague example about standing in fire to level up something that was never stated in-game and only in the guide, I can't remember because I really couldn't comment on it since I knew absolutely zero about the game at the time. The only thing I knew was that I wanted to buy it despite the only RPGs I love are Phantasy Star Online Eps. 1 & 2 and the Mass Effect series.

Was he just not being attentive to the game and there are things that a sharp person would see that would give you hints to find hidden things in the game? Or is it really so that there are things that you would never find without a guide otherwise? Personally my mind was made up to play this game, and I've watched the first two hours or so of the game being played by a couple different people on videos/streams and I see that I'm going to love it regardless.

Is he right, or can I tell him he was wrong and that he should continue from where he was in the game from that long ago?

I had no issue finding anything. Didn't use a guide once, loved the game through and through.

The combat in Witcher 1 was terribad. I hoped it would be at least just bad in Witcher 2, it was not. These games feel about as fun as sticking a baseball bat up my ass.

2San

I didn't make it clear enough, I suppose. I thought, hoped, Witcher 2 would be at least an improvement from terribad to bad. It was terribad all over.
Funnily enough I knew exactly what you meant. I haven't played Witcher 2 yet, but the gameplay of Witcher 1 is so terrible that it makes "bad" sound like a compliment.

Petrie

Banned
Is there a mod to make navigation easier? Constantly getting lost on every quest makes me keep quitting. Maybe modern games have spoiled me but getting lost all the time isn't fun.

Tacitus_

So, that's I guess where I hope the game goes, but because it is almost entirely based around being a Witcher, I'm not sure it will ever get there. Also considering there is only one game left in Geralt's story right?

Yup. Letho
says that the Emperor of Nilfgaard has Yennifer (who indeed lost her memory) and that the Hunt stole her from that little island and Geralt lost his memory after tracking the Hunt for some time.

ced

Great game, but yeah the combat kinda sucked for me as well. I also wish there was a bit more loot, I think I remember only changing swords once.

Dec

Yup. Letho
says that the Emperor of Nilfgaard has Yennifer (who indeed lost her memory) and that the Hunt stole her from that little island and Geralt lost his memory after tracking the Hunt for some time.

So I guess the entire lead up to the game is that
Yeneffer was taken by the hunt from the Island where her and Geralt were left by Ciri, and Geralt has been tracking the hunt ever since? Most likely getting close enough to lose his memory, and that is where the first game starts?

To be quite honest, I played the first half of the first game and was a few hours short of beating the second. I don't really like the games. I love the idea of a continuation of the story but they just aren't going in an interesting way after the books in my opinion. Feels like a TV show where there is 99% unimportant shit to the 1% I want to see.

Tacitus_

So I guess the entire lead up to the game is that
Yeneffer was taken by the hunt from the Island where her and Geralt were left by Ciri, and Geralt has been tracking the hunt ever since? Most likely getting close enough to lose his memory, and that is where the first game starts?

To be quite honest, I played the first half of the first game and was a few hours short of beating the second. I don't really like the games. I love the idea of a continuation of the story but they just aren't going in an interesting way after the books in my opinion. Feels like a TV show where there is 99% unimportant shit to the 1% I want to see.

Looks like I remembered it a bit wrong, here's the relevant cutscene on how he lost his memory . Obviously, huge spoilers and drawn nudity.

And I'm going to disagree about the percentages. Half the fun is doing the decisions on how Geralt is going to behave in the situations the game throws at him.

Dec

Looks like I remembered it a bit wrong, here's the relevant cutscene on how he lost his memory . Obviously, huge spoilers and drawn nudity.

And I'm going to disagree about the percentages. Half the fun is doing the decisions on how Geralt is going to behave in the situations the game throws at him.

I was exaggerating. Mostly what I mean is that I don't have much interest in being a Witcher. That video was a more interesting 5 minutes than the many hours I played the games.

I had never seen all of that before. Bit confusing.

w00zey

I got sucked in as well. It felt like a more streamlined skyrim w/ better action. Once you figure out the fighting it is so much more satisfying winning battles.

Tacitus_

I was exaggerating. Mostly what I mean is that I don't have much interest in being a Witcher. That video was a more interesting 5 minutes than the many hours I played the games.

I had never seen all of that before. Bit confusing.

I think you get the final part of that video when you've dealt with the hubbus in Act 3. But anyway, tastes differ and I very much enjoy the being a Witcher side of the games. Gotta try to stay neutral and remember that both swords are for monsters :p

I got sucked in as well. It felt like a more streamlined skyrim w/ better action. Once you figure out the fighting it is so much more satisfying winning battles.

Bah. Witcher has more roleplaying in its first Act than all of Skyrim put together. Streamlined my ass.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
watched a 3 hour LP of Witcher 1

bought W2 for $7.50 on 360 just now

gonna go home and dig in... probably go on "easy" difficulty, play one path and then watch a LP of the other

Try it on Onlive.Check this page.If you have decent internet you can buy on Onlive and it will play the game even on a low spec laptop.You can even check the demo for free to see what it looks like.You get a free digital copy on GOG when you buy it from onlive as well.

Was absolutely worth it for me.

Tried demo following your link. Absolutely no go with mouse, too much input lag. Also, I guess 360 port will have better IQ, too pixelated from origin, not taking into account video codec.

Thanks for the lead.

Linkyn

The expanded lore never really grabbed me, but The Witcher 2 stands among the best RPGs I have ever played and the way it portrays its various themes in such an incredibly mature and cohesive way should be an example to every developer out there.

ReMaKe

not fully open world

Is it like Dragon Age in it's open worldness?

I've always wanted to play the Witcher, unfortunately I don't have a gaming pc.
Witcher 3 is my most anticipated next gen game.

Is this game comparable to any other rpg's of the last generation?
Is it worth buying a 360 just to play this game?

phaze

It is a very good game that is let down by its combat and the story being a rehash of the books. Also thought that story, writing and even cut scene direction plunged in the last act leading to an unsatisfying conclusion.

I really recommend the first game as I find it superior in most aspects.

Vintage

I wish I read some lore before playing this game. Constantly had to open and read the journal because of so many characters and locations.
It's really a deep and mature game. Not for those who just want some fast mindless action.
Was kind of disappointed by the length of last act. Although the game is quite long, is ended too fast.

Loved this game, can't wait for Witcher 3.

jon bones

First impressions of this game are so solid. I'm glad I don't see the complaints about the combat. It's very crunchy, dark souls esque satisfying stuff.

Already read The Last Wish & saw a LP of Witcher 1 so I am fully engrossed in the lore. Excited to dig into the game.

Over rated game thats pretty bad.

Poor combat and gameplay. Terrible systems. (Lol its in the book! Fuck that shit, bad is bad.)

Boss fights that were tedious.

Quit playing after awhile due to the terrible mechanics that just ate up every sense of joy you attempted to ring from its carcassssssss.

It looked good.

Id say, 4/10.

I bet you are a Dragon Age fan.

NeoGash

Played it on 360 and it is beautiful. They are a 3rd party developer that make a game as technically impressive as a 1st party studio. Could only imagine playing it on a decent PC. The game is very, very good, I loved every minute of it.

Is it worth buying a 360 just to play this game?

It's a really good game, but no single game should make you buy a system, as not every game is for everyone. There are other reasons to own one though, like Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey, but if you really only want this one game, then either wait until you can get an Xbox for dirt cheap or you could always wait and hope they release it on the PS4/XB1, whatever tickles your fancy.

Complistic

It's one of my top 3 favorite games ever. The combat needs to be reworked a little (zomg just let geralt jump backwards a little, I don't want to roll constantly) and its damn near flawless.

It really takes elements of fantasy that are somewhat common and then completely twists them into really interesting and believable things.

God damn, now I want to play it again.

HeelPower

Tried demo following your link. Absolutely no go with mouse, too much input lag. Also, I guess 360 port will have better IQ, too pixelated from origin, not taking into account video codec.

Thanks for the lead.

yup I admit that IQ is really poor and brightness is kinda messed up....Although I didn't experience much input lag and the game seems to run at a fairly high setting.

Its a good option only for those wanting to experience the game but don't have a good enough PC or 360.

Helmholtz

Witcher 1 and 2 together may be my favorite WRPGs. I really dig the universe and dark fantasy setting, and the storylines are pretty interesting. The gameplay is hit and miss but overall is definitely solid, and the decision making mechanics are great.

HeelPower

I dont get the complaints about combat.

How can people carry through the awful cover shooter mechanics of mass effects or Bethesda generally clunky mashing combate(in TES or Fallout)

Witcher combat is about preparation through potions and equipment upgrade coupled with : proper spacing in TW2's case(rolling, picking spots to win) or choosing sword style in TW1.

Its consistent and can get quite fun to use.The worst flaw in TW2's combat is enemy hit feedback to the player is shoddy.

Perkel

Banned
Wtf is with that delay on the ketchup blood spatter...also is that a frikken katana he's welding? Curved swords? Has Geralt crossed over to Hammerfeld?

It is sabre pretty normal weapon for easter europe from XV century onwards taken from middle east and improved.

Azriell

I just started this, and so far I find the combat a bit unwieldy. Is this better with a controller? I keep meaning to pick up a new controller and then buy other stuff instead. I'm sure I can get the combat down, but something about having Q and R as 'use' hotkeys (use magic, use item), instead of Q and E, throws me off. Might also have something to do with me finishing Bioshock Infinite (with Q as swap Vigor and E as swap weapon) moments before starting The Witcher 2. Swapping binds around might save me some headache, but I'm waiting for my new mouse to arrive before I do that.

NotUS

I just started this, and so far I find the combat a bit unwieldy. Is this better with a controller? I keep meaning to pick up a new controller and then buy other stuff instead. I'm sure I can get the combat down, but something about having Q and R as 'use' hotkeys (use magic, use item), instead of Q and E, throws me off. Might also have something to do with me finishing Bioshock Infinite (with Q as swap Vigor and E as swap weapon) moments before starting The Witcher 2. Swapping binds around might save me some headache, but I'm waiting for my new mouse to arrive before I do that.

W2 plays much better with a controller. I'm using my 360 controller.

Flopfan

"where has this rpg been all my life?"

indeed. i've seen the light after playing this game.

The Witcher3 can't come soon enough

Kadayi

Banned

Poor combat and gameplay. Terrible systems. (Lol its in the book! Fuck that shit, bad is bad.)

Quit playing after awhile due to the terrible mechanics that just ate up every sense of joy you attempted to ring from its carcassssssss.

It looked good.

Id say, 4/10.

Always got to love a post where in if something isn't to someones tastes than it's the worst thing evar!!!. I can't say I cared much for the throw you in at the deep end nature of TW2 (I played it before the enhanced edition) but once I got to grips with the mechanics it it was fine and I enjoyed the challenge.

Certainly not as punishing as Dark souls, but it's a title that expects you to play with some degree of strategy Vs spamming the attack button.

It is sabre pretty normal weapon for easter europe from XV century onwards taken from middle east and improved.

Kind of expect the Witcher to be using his witching swords. :)

jon bones

really itching to go home and keep playing. really enjoying the swordplay & alchemy, not sure i'll use much magic outside of Quen. gotta love that batman style prep time.

is there a good Witcher 3 article that talks about it but doesn't spoil any W2 stuff? interested in seeing design changes but with lore this good i don't want to risk spoiling anything

It looked good.

Id say, 4/10.

i missed this gem

this ain't gamefaqs dude

you'll last long here i'm sure :lol

Beelzebubs

I bought Witcher 1+2 in the last Steam sale, really didn't like the combat in Witcher 1 after around 3 hours so never bothered playing the 2nd.

Decado

My biggest issue with the 1st Witcher was that it marginalized probably my favourite thing about WRPGs: character development (not story wise, but stats). I had relatively little motivation to continue since I couldn't really develop Geralt into anything he wasn't already.

Is there more customization in the sequel?

-Snooze-

Banned
I started playing it on the Xbox, and got quite far in but gave up. Bought it again during a GOG sale, and after booting it up can't bring myself to go back to playing on the Xbox.

Sadly I hate playing long games on the PC (No idea why) so I fear i've ruined it for myself

Top Bottom